Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    What wagon you guys talking about? There's only a somewhat meandering trail around here!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I think it’s the Gravy Train lol
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    That meandering trail sounds just the ticket! Need no wagon & horses…. too much bounce!
  • bulfrognz
    bulfrognz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan. Your 293 number is in lbs based on the overall discussion.
    How fast/slow do you tend to lose your weight when you're losing?
    Do you stop tracking when you reach goal?

I like the sounds of your exercise strategy!
    One "trick" to remember re: exercise calories is that all day tracking watches and MFP generated exercises do their math differently.

Tracking watches show extra calories you could THEORETICALLY eat at 100% subject to verification. But MFP generated exercises show "gross" calories, not net. You have to deduct the amount of calories MFP has already assigned to the time slot to get the theoretical net value.

Yes, sorry for the typo, 293lbs, :)
    Previously I've been able to lose weight at around 2kg/week. However as I'm getting older it has become harder/slower.
    You've got it, when I used MFP and got down to my goal I stopped tracking shortly after. Since then, when I've been in the yo-yo between 260-300lbs (still 50-60 above goal) I have stopped when it gets too hard, or I get too discouraged. Yet another habit I need to break.

• PAV8888
    Options
    bulfrognz wrote: »
    Previously I've been able to lose weight at around 2kg/week. However as I'm getting older it has become harder/slower.
    You've got it, when I used MFP and got down to my goal I stopped tracking shortly after. Since then, when I've been in the yo-yo between 260-300lbs (still 50-60 above goal) I have stopped when it gets too hard, or I get too discouraged. Yet another habit I need to break.

You may REALLY want to read some of Novus' early posts about being process motivated as opposed to results motivated and about making things easy. And looking at the long term. (Not sure whether Novus wrote specifically about that as I was just watching the group tangentially when Novus started it as I was already at maintenance)

Of course everyone wants results.

But being solely guided by results tends to get people to overdo things. I sometimes feel that I am sitting here telling people that both need and want to lose weight not to do so(!)... which is **far** from the case. But, basically actions have reactions. 2kg = 4.4lbs a week... I can guarantee you a reaction at the end of it. Maybe suitable for a very short while at above 400lbs. But even at 300 do that for a couple of months and you're building up a reaction. To me sustainability of effort and long term compliance is what it is all about. If what is taking place leads to that... all good. If it isn't... modify.

My story is that I got to MFP BECAUSE I was doing eating as little as I could while exercising as much as I could... losing a good half lb a day... and was sure that I wouldn't have been able to keep it up! As had happened many times before. :smile: So I set out to find a "different" way. And ended up increasing my woefully inadequate at the time conscious knowledge of how things work! Conscious knowledge? I already knew what a calorie was. I already knew how many calories I roughly needed to eat to maintain at 270-280lbs. I even knew how many calories were in olive oil. But olive oil was healthy, right? So I would sprinkle four or five "tablespoons" on my "healthy" salad... because, healthy, right?

Anyway. Losing at 0.5 to 1% of body weight per week (or limiting deficits to 25% of actual current TDEE with the smaller of the two being the limit) = (hopefully) less hormonal and mental reaction = (hopefully) being able to keep at it indefinitely = being here many years down the road helping MFP make a penny or two from ads they get to push at us! :wink:

So target a good sized, but ultimately REASONABLE deficit for your CURRENT starting point. And be (relatively) ruthless at evaluating what works and what doesn't work for you in terms of things you can see yourself doing long into the future...
  • bulfrognz
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    bulfrognz wrote: »

You may REALLY want to read some of Novus' early posts about being process motivated as opposed to results motivated and about making things easy. And looking at the long term. (Not sure whether Novus wrote specifically about that as I was just watching the group tangentially when Novus started it as I was already at maintenance)

Of course everyone wants results.

But being solely guided by results tends to get people to overdo things. I sometimes feel that I am sitting here telling people that both need and want to lose weight not to do so(!)... which is **far** from the case. But, basically actions have reactions. 2kg = 4.4lbs a week... I can guarantee you a reaction at the end of it. Maybe suitable for a very short while at above 400lbs. But even at 300 do that for a couple of months and you're building up a reaction. To me sustainability of effort and long term compliance is what it is all about. If what is taking place leads to that... all good. If it isn't... modify.

My story is that I got to MFP BECAUSE I was doing eating as little as I could while exercising as much as I could... losing a good half lb a day... and was sure that I wouldn't have been able to keep it up! As had happened many times before. :smile: So I set out to find a "different" way. And ended up increasing my woefully inadequate at the time conscious knowledge of how things work! Conscious knowledge? I already knew what a calorie was. I already knew how many calories I roughly needed to eat to maintain at 270-280lbs. I even knew how many calories were in olive oil. But olive oil was healthy, right? So I would sprinkle four or five "tablespoons" on my "healthy" salad... because, healthy, right?

Anyway. Losing at 0.5 to 1% of body weight per week (or limiting deficits to 25% of actual current TDEE with the smaller of the two being the limit) = (hopefully) less hormonal and mental reaction = (hopefully) being able to keep at it indefinitely = being here many years down the road helping MFP make a penny or two from ads they get to push at us! :wink:

So target a good sized, but ultimately REASONABLE deficit for your CURRENT starting point. And be (relatively) ruthless at evaluating what works and what doesn't work for you in terms of things you can see yourself doing long into the future...

Oh Cr*p, I did it again. Bloody kilograms and pounds. Why can't we all just use the metric system.

That should say 2 pounds a week. (around 1kg)

That said, I will have a look for Novus posts about process vs result motivated. Because when it comes to weight loss, I am definitely more results motivated. But I can totally understand how that might not be the best way.

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options

Bullfrogz - this is a posting from Novus that I found very helpful ——

NovusDies wrote: »
    My idea of success-forward thinking as it relates to weight loss is to get rid of anything unnecessary. Most of this is popular misinformation about what a person needs to do to lose weight.

What it means to ONLY need a calorie deficit to lose weight:

1) You can eat what you want - no need to cut carbs or avoid tasty food. They type of calories don't matter only the total.

2) You can eat when you want - Since only the calorie totals matter how you distribute them makes no difference. Some people want to graze all day and others like me enjoy really big meals so we eat less often.

3) You don't need exercise - exercise IS a good idea but being miserable doing it is not. Misery is a bad bedfellow for weight loss so until you find something you might enjoy doing keep experimenting.

4) You can be as boring as you need - you don't need a diet/method with a popular name unless it helps you.

5) You don't need perfection - If you are just starting off on this journey you have about 1000 calorie deficit each day. This means if you go over your calories by 250 on a day you are still losing weight you are just losing slightly less.

6) You don't have to lose weight everyday you just have to lose weight most days - If you want to celebrate a special event or go on vacation and eat your maintenance calories it doesn't mean you have stopped you just slowed down for a moment.

What it means to NEVER stop:

1) Weight management not just weight loss - If you think of things in terms of forever (or for a very long time) you have a better chance of doing things you can live with.

2) There is no blowing your diet - Even if you eat way too many calories on any given day that is no reason to keep eating the next day and day after.

3) Life is messy - it is very likely you will have messy periods in your life. You may find yourself needing to switch to maintenance mode for awhile while you deal with a situation.

What if you looked at success a different way?

People lose weight all the time but they seldom lose all the weight they want. They stop for many different reasons. I think success shouldn't be measured by losing the next pound. It should be measured by how easy it is to stay on the path to lose the next pound. Easy means that we are feeling happy(ish) and somewhat normal. If we focus on sustainability the pounds will take care of themselves. You only need a calorie deficit to lose weight so how can you make the rest easy on yourself? How can you be happy now?

The overall point here is that you shouldn't burden yourself with anything you don't absolutely need. If "eating healthier" makes it harder to sustain your weight loss you don't need it. If you do need to balance your nutrition better make that a secondary goal and try to implement small changes over time to accomplish it. If going to the gym for cardio makes you miserable you don't need it. Look for alternative methods of getting your heart pumping that you enjoy more.

Think of weight loss as walking up a really steep hill. Take only what you need and don't stuff bricks in your backpack.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Great advice!….now to heed it!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    It *IS* great advice Connie, and well articulated. Echo chamber music to my own ears... as you already know!

Making choices that are sustainable = being able to clock in with continued OVERALL compliance with caloric goals = heading in the correct direction.

And correct direction multiplied by time wins over any result, no matter how good, if it only lasts for a short term.
  • bulfrognz
    Options
    Thanks Yoolypr.

That is a good read. Lots of sensible points in there, which often need reiterating.

Cheers,
    BF.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Waving hello to @ReenieHJ who, now that I've finally seen your larger mug shot... I can tell ya why you're having some trouble with the last few! :wink:
  • DaddyHertz
    DaddyHertz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm Chris. I've traveled this path before, perhaps I'll give it another shot before I die. My environment as a child led to me being malnourished at 5'10 tall and 75 lbs. Upon getting my freedom at 18, it took me three years to balloon to 360 pounds, and another 18 years to blow up to 380 pounds! Things were going well six years ago. I got down to 300 pounds after a breakup, but we got back together and my weight started creeping up again.

The veins in my legs are finally shot. I'll always have to wrap them to avoid edema and pitting ulcers. I'm trying to lose weight now since I'm afraid of dying and I'm having health problems that I don't think I should have at this age. To put it mildly, I'd like my feet to be visible instead of just my toes. I’m at 380 pounds and my goal is 210 pounds, still overweight, but dad bod status.

For now to start, I'm trying to walk more to build up a tolerance in my back to being upright more and help my legs pump the liquid out of the tissues, hoping this will allow me to walk around the gym to lift weights. I'm trying to stick to a 2300 calorie diet while also juggling macros, lower carbs, higher protein, higher fat, including denser lighter natural foods such as kale and broccoli, as well as including natural fruits into my diet for once and getting comfortable with natural sugars. Almost like a return to the basics of the somewhat healthy food they exposed me to as a kiddo at school lunch, except with an adult twist on the recipes.

I'll be real. I don't know what to expect from putting all this here. It's probably just cathartic to write this all out. Plus, what I've been doing has obviously not worked for long term before. When I eat more healthily, counting calories, making my macros, and working out every other day for an hour. I can drop about 8 pounds a week continuously for 4 months or at least that's what happened 6 years ago and no I'm not starving myself... just healthy, fresher foods are much more filling and nutrient packed, 6 meals a day and I am stuffed on 2000-2300 calories a day XD.

I guess, I'm saying the last part as an acknowledgment that I know I can do this, if I can find some way to stick with changing my life for the better. So for now, I'm free falling. No support, no friends, no family. Just fear spurning me onwards. Let's hope I don't become fearless eventually XD.

• Yoolypr
    Options
    Although you have had many challenges, please know this is doable. Many in this group have lost over 100 lbs. over time including myself. Read some previous posts from Novus Dies and Dante that may be helpful in getting started.

I do hope you are also working with some medical professionals at this stage to help you assess what is healthy for you to do at this time.

Welcome to the group!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Welcome, Chris! I wish you all the best in adopting a new lifestyle.
  • DaddyHertz
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Although you have had many challenges, please know this is doable. Many in this group have lost over 100 lbs. over time including myself. Read some previous posts from Novus Dies and Dante that may be helpful in getting started.

I do hope you are also working with some medical professionals at this stage to help you assess what is healthy for you to do at this time.

Welcome to the group!

Not yet, but I'm scheduled. So soon i guess? XD
  • DaddyHertz
    Options
    Welcome, Chris! I wish you all the best in adopting a new lifestyle.

thank you ^^
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Jump into any of the other posted discussions!
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! I will be 72 in May. Three years ago I lost 60 pounds but with the pandemic I've put 40 pounds back on. Now I'm paying the price. My knees and hips ache and I'm always tired. So it's past time to get back to a healthy diet and stay within my calorie limits so I can get this weight off and not hurt so much. I would like to lose about 90 pounds. I guess I keep thinking I can do that eating sweets when I know that isn't possible. I'm hoping with some encouragement from this group I can get the weight off and make it a permanent life style change. I want to be healthy and active.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Welcome Timberlan! This is a very supportive group. You may want to read some previous postings to kind of get acquainted with everyone. Experience is on your side! You can do this.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome and encouragement Yoolypr!! My first two days have been good. Now I just have to keep my head in the game. Life is too short to live it unhappy.