Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I made that bread pudding ... and it was 'ok'. Actually, it was quite good ... but I think the memory of one was better than the real thing. I'm glad I did it ... won't have that urge again for a long long while.
    ... But now my urge is to make chicken something and have cornbread with it. Can't decide exactly what chicken dish would call for cornbread ... but there's a whole free range chicken in the fridge so I'd better dream up something.

Merry Christmas to everyone. Enjoy your cookies while you can. I'm not baking any!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    Options
    chicken probably better than cookies!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    chicken probably better than cookies!

I don't bake cookies. But I do cook chicken and cornbread.
    How about you?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    ... But now my urge is to make chicken something and have cornbread with it. Can't decide exactly what chicken dish would call for cornbread ... but there's a whole free range chicken in the fridge so I'd better dream up something.

White Chicken Chili. While I make on that isn't exactly on the super healthy and low cal side (though I can fit it in my calories and have in the past), I know I have seen ones that are "better" when it comes to that. Just depends on what your goals are. But I love the stuff. Going to make some (and some cornbread) after the big holiday meal.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Thanks @Athijade ... I've never made chicken chili. I'm not certain I would know how to proceed with a whole chicken for that dish, as I've always used ground meats for the chili's I've made in the past. ... Somehow I think that something with chicken and cornbread would have to be made from left over chicken. ... One time I made a chicken pot pie using cornbread on top instead of a pie crust. Another time I used chicken, peas and carrots as you would for Shepard's Pie but used cornbread mix instead of mashed potatoes for the cap. I'm not too worried about the calories in a particular recipe because it all comes down to portion size for the calories I can allow for the meal. Some only allow a small portion and others allow a lot!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I would consider taking the one time time hit to sit and debone and extract all the lean meat from the chicken carcass in one go.

I tend to separate white from non white and possibly suck out the wings etc that are harder to clean while doing so... especially when I bring home a rotisserie chicken... then I either toss the carcass or possibly throw it into boiling water to render into stock. Frankly stock making works but I suspect uses more electricity $s than it would cost to buy the stock ready made in the first place! :lol:

Anyway. If you then dice the pieces of meat I think they almost qualify as equivalent (albeit chunkier) to ground/minced meat for use in chili or casseroles or soup or...
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    If you have a large enough pot, you can boil a whole raw chicken (or parts bone-in). Toss in chopped onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. This creates a chicken stock and cooks chicken all at the same time. Measure and save broth for freezer.
    After the chicken cools, you can skin and debone. Weigh the meat into separate freezer baggies ready to go.
    Cheaper than rotisserie, canned stock and less salt too.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,615 Member
    Options
    poor cookies....left behind in the whirl of chicken preparation :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    So I just got a surprise gift from one of the divisions I work with... a huge box of chocolates. And I tried a piece each of the milk chocolate and dark chocolate. It is good chocolate. So no cookies for me, but I have all the chocolate I could ever want.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,615 Member
    Options
    Scary. Hope it is just a fun treat for you, Athijade.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Cheaper than rotisserie, canned stock and less salt too.

Can't argue with salt, though our whole uncooked chicken prices tend to come very close to or above the cooked rotisserie chicken prices even after you control for size.
  • nsk1951
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Frustration! I feel like ranting and raving! I feel like tossing in the towel! I know that part of it is almost certainly outdated equipment on my end. ... But still, I'd think that support on the other end of the line would be smarter than I am about these things. ... What in the world am I rambling on about? ....
    ... Well ... Today I had Spectrum internet installed in my apartment and found their website for setting up your account/paying your bill won't let me do my set up. The front page loads fine, but subsequent pages are 'dead' .. meaning no links on those pages do anything, it's like looking at a PDF instead of a HTML page! Support Chat didn't help. Telephone support personnel didn't help either. I'm ready to send their stuff back and cancel service on day 1. UGGG...
    .... Gonna go cook that chicken! I've decided on separating it in half and doing a broiled half chicken and going from there. The other half will freeze well.

...Oh wait .. it's already past my mealtime! ... Drat that Spectrum stall-up ... a bowl of cereal for supper will do.
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Some usual culprits are anti-malware and anti ad and anti pop-up blocking extensions.

My usual "routine" is to use a different browser than my usual Chrome/Edge (so by process of elimination that pretty much just leaves FireFox), which I have configured with zero add-ons/extensions.

If Firefox als fails to do whatever it is that I'm trying to do then I usually blame the web page as opposed to my stuff. Depending on which antivirus you use, some intercept ssl conversations which could come into play-mine as an issue. Mine are configured to avoid that.

Not sure if this will help or hinder :smiley:
  • nsk1951
    Options
    I only have Safari on my iMac for browsing and when I tried to download Chrome it was no longer downloadable for the version OS my computer was running on, and I couldn't find an older version to download and try. Then I downloaded Firefox and ran into a problem once it installed, because I hadn't downloaded it from the AppleStore ... and could not find my way back to where it was set up that only those downloads were ok to install. In the end, I gave up trying to install the Spectrum app on the desktop and used my smartphone instead ... which I didn't want to do. But it went without a hitch on that device. I just hate to use the mobile for that kind of work online. I'm much better with a big screeen and regular keyboard for number crunching online. ... The day has gone to the project, alas, alas.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Hate Spectrum but that’s all we can get easily here. So unreliable, customer unfriendly but better than nothing.

We’re prepping for the big freeze. Texas hasn’t had a hard frost yet this year. We will be getting temps in the teens and a couple of below freezing days. Homes here aren’t insulated well and have no basements so chances of frozen water pipes is very real. It will last only two days and be up in the upper 50s by Monday. Maybe 70s before New Year’s Day. But at least it will feel like Christmas! Last year it was shorts and air conditioning weather.

I’m doing a quick mopping, vacuuming and wipe down everything day. Hubby will be at the grocery store and out of the way. Heaven knows what he’ll buy when he’s unsupervised at the store!!!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    I hope everyone has a very safe, warm, happy and healthy holiday celebration this year. If you live in the colder parts of the country, like I do here in Western/Central New York State ... then I hope you get a white Christmas if that is your ideal, or a dry one if you need to travel.

I'm scheduled to drive to my sister's house, who happens to live in the 'snow belt' and is close to an hour away; and my city is on the horizon for getting ice and snow on the day of our gathering ... so I am not exactly sure if we will see one another this Christmas Eve day or not. There aren't many of us who live in this part of the country any more so it would be a good thing to get together.

Merry Christmas!
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Safe travels @nsk1951! Safe travels! @Yoolypr .... you're sending hubby to the store unsupervised knowing that "almost boxing day sales" have already started!?!??!?!!? :fearful:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Well we don’t have Boxing Day in the US - not much on sale at the grocery store these days anyway. However, I now have an abundance of canned Lima beans and pickled beets!!!
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Well we don’t have Boxing Day in the US - not much on sale at the grocery store these days anyway. However, I now have an abundance of canned Lima beans and pickled beets!!!

pickled beets is an "obvious" good choice--hey I likes them! :lol:
    canned lima beans.... yeah... NO! :frowning:
    mine has cookies and chocolates and ice cream on sale--so I am taking a slower approach to heading there!:wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Drove around town tonight to see the Christmas lights. People have really put out some spectacular displays! We decided to do that today rather than our usual Christmas Eve ride because it’s going to be cold - at least for a few days. cwhis8w4yuv6.jpeg
    I’m sure everyone up north is chuckling but Texans are not prepared for cold. Got to haul out the heavy coat and don’t know where the hats and gloves are hiding.

At least it’s not snow or freezing rain. Wednesday next week looks pretty good and closer to average.