Share your Numbers

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Well, you can join MY slacker club. Because in January 2014 my goal was to reach 5,000 steps every since day of the month. And I wasn't successful at doing so till March or, April!

I *am* going from memory, but I don't believe I consistently hit 10K while above 250lbs. The higher averages ramped up as weight went down.

Far from a unique experience--hence my caution to people when I see them ramping up BOTH the food and the exercise side for faster losses... sustainable is what is needed more often than not!

So... quite deliberately and on purpose till it becomes almost an ingrained habit.

Want to talk to someone? Get up and walk around with the cell to make the call. You're on hold? Walk around. Video calls? Generally pacing or outside and yes, people do complain about the moving scenery :wink:

Forgot something in the car: go get it now, not later. Then go again to the car again later. And again. Have to wait for some one and they ask you to take a seat? Stand, don't sit! Boy do doctor receptionists love to point out to me that I can take a seat! :lol:

Instead of sublimating agitation into eating... spend energy moving/standing/squatting :wink:

When I was losing weight silly games included a time where I would try to only shop on foot so that I could carry the groceries back!

There is an excellent tread by AnnPT on NEAT maximization. It's worth a look!

Beyond that... 6K (6,500 in my case) steps is just about 1 hour of moderate speed walking. The dog goes out twice a day--she MAKES me do it and that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :wink:

And did I mention in another thread that book reading time has 100% been replaced with walking outside with audiobooks???

Hmm... I'll let Laurie and Garfield (and others) add their bits here... the girl IS agitating and the sun will be going down soon! :lol:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I started out some days only walking 1200 steps….my day revolved around preparing food while sitting in a chair in the kitchen, consuming the food, and going to the bathroom…..I didn’t do this my entire life because I was younger and I had to work even if I was fat….after I retired I inherited johnnathan and Aliyah, 27 months apart in age…..full time, every day from 6 a.m. until evening and sometimes all night…..kids were working, coaching, and going to college….the babies kept me moving, I loved it and it helped keep my weight low enough I could function….babies went to school, parents took over most parenting and I had free time to pursue eating!….and gain weight…..lots of weight….flash forward:….. I walk and get around SO much better these days averaging about 4000 to 5000 steps and that doesn’t count pushing a shopping cart….I am hoping when I lose another 40 or 50 pounds I can actually take walks!….now I move more….I make trips outside with the dog, take out garbage,put clothes away a few at a time to get more steps….I bend, i dance around, and I don’t sit while cooking….
  • dkr529
    dkr529 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions PAV & Connie!
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'9 / Age: 39

Highest Weight (May 22 2019): 276.8 lbs
    Started MFP for the 3rd time Oct 27 2021
    Oct 31 2021 Weight 258.6 lbs
    Nov 30 2021 Weight 251.4 lbs
    Dec 31 2021 Weight 242.4 lbs

LW 1/29/22: 234.4 lbs
    CW 1/30/22: 234.0 lbs
    Loss: 0.4 lbs

Loss from 10/31/21 = 24.6 lbs
    Loss from HW = 42.8 lbs

Obese Class I BMI (237 lbs) goal met 1/14/2022
    Overweight BMI (203 lbs) lose 31 lbs
    Healthy BMI (169 lbs) lose 66 lbs
    Goal (145 lbs) lose 89 lbs

Not back to the low of 232.8 but the scale went down a little this morning so I'll take it. :)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    Re the walking, like PAV I started slowly. At first I walked the dog for a slow thirty minutes once a day, and that was enough.

Then I pushed a couple of those walks to 45 minutes.

After I while 45 minutes became the norm, and I increased the pace a little (though these are dog walks, so pace is set by the mutt sniffing and peeing a gazillion times). Then I added in a second dog walk (15 minutes) in late afternoon every other day. Which after a couple of weeks became every day.

Then the 15 minute afternoon walk became 30 minutes...then 45...

Now, I walk for 45-60 minutes in the morning, and 60-75 minutes in the afternoon. It averages about 5.8 miles a day (which for me is about 15,750 steps/day (I'm short, so have a short stride).

Sometimes devoting that much time to walking feels like a chore, but once I'm actually outside I almost invariably enjoy it. I have no intention or inclination to increase the duration or distance of the walks, but if at some future time I feel I'm stagnating, I may try to increase either the pace or the level of difficulty (e.g. by walking on more uneven ground, or up steeper inclines).

My distances/speed/gradient data are all lifted from Strava, which tracks them via GPS.

I also do all the usual things, like pacing when I'm talking on the phone, and doing my errands on foot rather than driving. I don't have a Fitbit, so those steps don't get included in my daily totals, and I don't record that activity on Strava.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    👍
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Even more awesomeness in the making❣️
  • dkr529
    Options
    joone_9 wrote: »
    102 lbs total loss....another 31lbs left to goal...

@joone_9 This is AWESOME! This gives me hope! When you have such a big number to lose it can be daunting and scary. Breaking it down into smaller milestone goals helps get you through the tasks day by day. Thanks for posting.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    Wow....such beautiful updates to read after not being here for a couple of days!

Big big milestone @joone_9 - CONGRATULATIONS <3

Nice accomplishment for this past month, ABD. These months are adding up!
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @Dante_80 in spite of the temporary rage maybe retain for future processing that it looks likely you are one of the people for whom appreciable water weight fluctuations are a "thing"

As your excess reserves reduce and your deficits decline as a percentage of your tdee less unidirectional impetus will be applied against you weight trajectory and the fluctuations are likely to take advantage of the opportunity to make themselves more visible 🤷🏻‍♂️

That said ... pretty interesting swings in the 4-5lb range in a matter of days!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sounds like a very good start-over! 👍
  • dkr529
    Options
    Nice work, @Dante_80 and @Bella_Figura !
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Everyone posting (including
    ABD) appear to be posting some pretty good sized losses, and losses in the making!👍