Advice / Guidance

Options

Replies

• Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    IMHO, our bodies adjust. Same thing has happened to me a few times. 3 weeks isn’t enough to really judge how much your body needs. I would say keep doing what you are doing for 6 weeks. At that point, if things aren’t moving again, change something up. You got this. Realistic and sustainable.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thanks for setting up this group and those that posted! I definitely found myself relating a lot to your comments.

I have been obese almost 20 years, about 13 years ago I lost 100 pounds and then gained it back plus about another 50. The first time, I lost 100 lbs quickly due to exercising multiple times a day, biking everywhere and eating a vegan diet with very little fat and only a small amount of protein (not intentionally eating low protein) ... that’s not feasible for me any more and I’m trying to do it in a healthier and realistic way. My kcal now have a healthy balance 45-50% carbs, 20-25% fat, and 25-30% protein. I need to around 50% carbs most days for metabolic reasons-so keto isn’t an option for me.

I’m trying to lose the 150 lbs and am down about 35, but feel like I’m plateauing. I’ve been the same weight for about 3 weeks even though about a month ago I increased my cardio to about 60-90 minutes versus 30-45 on average, and do weight lifting 1-2x per week with a trainer, and am still logging all kcal.

I did anticipate some slowness in weight loss due to weights, since it had been 20 years since I lifted, but am surprised it’s still so slow after about 6 months.

I definitely understand the concept someone else mentioned, kcal in/kcal out. But when I calculate my BMR, kcal, and exercise kcal it does not come close to the weight I’m losing (or not losing).

Has anyone had a similar experience or any suggestions you’d be willing to share?

Thanks much!

Hi @tiffany80802017,

When you add in new exercise it can cause additional water retention that for some people lasts for weeks. This water retention can mask fat loss on the scale.

Are you weighing all your solid food on a food scale? Are you verifying that each MFP database entry has the correct calories? I ask because that is very often what throws off the math.

I will be happy to look over your actual numbers if you want.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    @tiffany80802017

After I added my exercise bike I slowed a little bit and I know that other people have had their loss stall completely. This week my weight has been in freefall. I figure it's all the water I held onto from the new exercise. As long as your doing what you should the weight should drop, it just takes awhile.
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer @NovusDies; I’m confident my numbers are correct (I work with data and love excel :)!! ). I use a digital scale to weigh everything.

Was just asking in case others have had a similar situation (regular exercise/kcal restriction-but no loss) and would be interested to hear what you found helpful or otherwise.

I did finally show 2lb loss, but it still doesn’t come anywhere close... it should be more like 12-15 over past 4 weeks, if going by the numbers. I’m using formulas from NIH & American Dietetic Assoc.

I think it’s most frustrating the numbers don’t add up, but I’m sure it will start to come off again, it’s just frustrating in the interim. Probably many of us have been there :)

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback, appreciate it!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @tiffany80802017 I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest because the scenario is what was going with me for these last couple of months.

Loving me some data is second only to loving me some logic. Here's my "Ah Ha" truth about my numbers: I had plateaued on my exercise and was doing the same comfortable routine instead of setting and pushing for a stretch. Since I am pretty committed to my 30 minutes of treadmill and not willing to stretch my duration that meant I needed to increase my intensity. The other thing I noticed was my intake of alcohol had increased from a glass or two of wine on the weekend to becoming a regular evening thing.

Logic tells me that those two items might be enough to not move the scale down so I'm testing this postulate by actively addressing both items. Stay tuned for what I am hoping is a steady decrease on the scale.
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @hansep0012 thanks for your feedback!
    I am trying something similar - switching up my routine a bit. Last month I stopped drinking alcohol as well and I find myself a bit more motivated to exercise.

My trainers always have a different routine for my weight session (1-3x/wk) but my go to is certainly the elliptical. I like it because it’s low impact and I feel like because of my weight it’s hard to do the other cardio machines (except treadmill).

I am going hiking in some mountains this weekend, so that should shake things up, and hopefully will see the scale move a bit more.

I think there’s definitely truth in what you’re saying about the routine and impact of alcohol on weight loss (along w/ metabolic process that happens when it’s metabolized-acetate and the body stops burning fat :( ) If only it was as simple as a formula!

Thanks again for your feedback!!
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Regarding alcohol... I'm thankful that I work in dry camps for several weeks of the month. I'm not tempted to go crazy drinking when I'm out.. not worth the headache and feeling horrible the next day. The most I may have is a rum and eggnog over Christmas or a glass of wine on special occasions.. I've become quite the lightweight when it comes to booze..lol
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    @brittanynicholex is the ring fit worth the money? We got a switch for xmas and have no idea what to do with it lol, I bought just dance 2020 today, that looks fun.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I also had to do a lot of work on myself. Food cannot hold you when you grieve. It cannot dry your tears when you are sad. It cannot hear you out when you're angry. It can't protect you when you're scared. It can't keep you awake when you're tired, or make you feel better when you hurt. I am learning to let food just do what it can; fuel my body, please my palate, and be a way that I say I care about myself and others.

That is awesome, I'm totally borrowing that.

• yxba
    yxba Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I’d you don’t know what to do with their switch but Breath Of The Wild. It’s a great way to kill time while you’re waiting for your next meal time.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Has anyone have gone off high blood pressure medicine that contained HCTZ before?

HCTZ is a diuretic. On my PCP's advice I stopped taking my BP medicine because between weight loss (82 pounds!), a healthier diet, and exercise my blood pressure is doing great on it's own. Hooray!

I stopped taking the medicine on Saturday. Since that day, I've gained about 2 pounds a day. 8 pounds and counting. All while maintaining at least a 1000 calorie deficit and drinking at least 140 oz of water a day. I know its rebound water retention. Did any of you go through this and if so, how long did the rebound last? Did you eventually lose the extra water weight, or did it just become your new normal because your medicine wasn't artificially dehydrating you?

I'm monitoring my BP - it's doing great. 117/78 last night. I'm not showing signs of edema - its not an an urgent medical matter. But it is a medical curiosity. Your personal experience would be most welcome.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    speyerj wrote: »
    Has anyone have gone off high blood pressure medicine that contained HCTZ before?

HCTZ is a diuretic. On my PCP's advice I stopped taking my BP medicine because between weight loss (82 pounds!), a healthier diet, and exercise my blood pressure is doing great on it's own. Hooray!

I stopped taking the medicine on Saturday. Since that day, I've gained about 2 pounds a day. 8 pounds and counting. All while maintaining at least a 1000 calorie deficit and drinking at least 140 oz of water a day. I know its rebound water retention. Did any of you go through this and if so, how long did the rebound last? Did you eventually lose the extra water weight, or did it just become your new normal because your medicine wasn't artificially dehydrating you?

I'm monitoring my BP - it's doing great. 117/78 last night. I'm not showing signs of edema - its not an an urgent medical matter. But it is a medical curiosity. Your personal experience would be most welcome.

I was on a 25mg dosage of HCTZ and was given a 12.5mg to allow me to taper off. I still have a prescription for it but I am not taking it now. I plan to only use it going forward if I bloat up 15+ pounds again.

@cheryldumais is, I believe, the one that told me when she came off it took her 2 months (or more) for her water weight to return to normal.

Mine is so screwy anyway I am not a real trustworthy source. I am up 9 pounds currently but that almost always happens when I start eating maintenance, which I have, and now I have new exercise in the mix that is making me sore. Basically my water is too muddy to be a guide.
  • NovusDies
    Options

Oh and CONGRATS for coming off your med. That is fantastic. Keep watching that BP for awhile.

I came off Losartan and the 25mg of HCTZ end of November I think. My BP trend remains nice and low. I am still trying to remember to check mine once a week but it is easier when it was daily.
  • speyerj
    Options
    Thanks for the reply @NovusDies. A whole month huh? I'll hang on tight then. The worst part was that I was just a pound away from moving from "Obese" to "overweight" on the BMI scale. I know that BMI is a load of baloney, but I was excited anyway for this arbitrary milestone. But that just means, more time to lose even more fat, right?
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Thanks for the reply @NovusDies. A whole month huh? I'll hang on tight then. The worst part was that I was just a pound away from moving from "Obese" to "overweight" on the BMI scale. I know that BMI is a load of baloney, but I was excited anyway for this arbitrary milestone. But that just means, more time to lose even more fat, right?

That is funny. I was .2 pounds away from that very same milestone 10 days ago. Then my water weight shot back up and I think it will take at least a month for it to sort back out again.
  • speyerj
    Options
    The weight loss gods must have felt that we had too much hubris and decided to teach us a little humility. :)
  • NovusDies
    Options
    The weight loss gods must have felt that we had too much hubris and decided to teach us a little humility. :)

Or they like to toy with us...

I am hoping to see the number relatively soon because I want to shop my insurance and it would be a stupid thing to do while still technically obese. I didn't care that much about it otherwise. Well I cared a little because last Saturday was my 2 year weight loss anniversary and it would have been nice to add that label to my achievements but it didn't happen so... moving on....
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I take a Losartan once a day and two verapamil for my blood pressure....my doctor took me completely off of the HCTZ that I was taking 25 mg 3 X a day because my blood pressure went down so much....I was very light headed and dizzy and now it is much better....the past week it has started again and I have an appt to see if I need meds lowered again....it takes your body a while to adjust....good luck