What are your Long-Term Goals?

Options
12346»

Replies

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Knocked out a goal today! Just got home from a nice long bike ride. 17 miles. I was debating if I should push it to 20 but I was already feeling pretty worn out so I chose not to. @amkita This was the local lake loop we were talking about last fall. :)

Finished Today!
    • Bike 15 miles.

xbm3ebeea67n.png

On the Horizon
    • Lose 125 lbs.
    • Fit into size 40 pants.
    • Run 5k distance (I've not done this since November).
    • Average 10,000 steps per day for a month
    • Commit to Starting Strength program, lifting 3x/week for a month (starting 2/28)
    • Complete Couch to 5k program again, starting on week 4 (starting 2/29)
    • Complete a 5k race. (Registered for a race on April 25, 2020)

Long Term Goals - Weight Loss Related
    • Enjoy myself at an amusement park, fitting in all the rides
    • Feel comfortable enough to swim in a public setting, shirtless.
    • Lose 150 lbs.
    • Fit into L shirts.
    • Lose 167 lbs (matching my previous adult low weight from 2010)
    • Lose 175 lbs.
    • Lose 187 lbs. (onederland!)
    • Lose 193 lbs. (half my body weight)
    • Lose 200 lbs. (long term goal reached!)
    • Fit into my high school jeans, size 36.

Long Term Goals - Fitness Related
    • Bike 20 miles.
    • Run 10 minute mile.
    • Run 9 minute mile.
    • Run 8 minute mile.
    • Run 3.5 mile road race, May 21, 2020

Completed
    • Lose 50 lbs.
    • Lose 70 lbs. (more than my 6 year old daughter weighs!)
    • Bike 10 miles.
    • Fit into size 50 pants.
    • Fit into 2xl shirts.
    • Lose 87 lbs (under 300 lbs!)
    • Complete the Couch to 5k program.
    • Start strength training.
    • Lose 100 lbs.
    • Lose 111 lbs. (more than I lost in 2010)
    • Fit into xl shirts.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Updating

On the Horizon
    • Get more proficient at strength training
    • Evaluate weight progress while at maintenance as soon as scale cooperates

Regular Long Term Goals
    • Be below 200 - not sure where I am stopping but that was the number I was fighting with when I was a teen
    • Buy a bike
    • Ride a bike again
    • Lose my main 3 prescription medications Lose last half of diuretic and cholesterol med
    • Reach a weight and level of fitness that meets my criteria of appropriately healthy.

Perpetual Goals
    • Be Happy :smile:
    • Be a better uncle now that my niece and nephew lost their father
    • Watch my fellow LLers change their lives
    • Have more active and social activities outside the house.

Completed
    • Participate in a charity 5k next month (walking not running)
    • Travel with my wife without feeling like an anchor - almost there
    • Wear off-the-rack clothes <- just need to go to a shop now DONE
    • Be comfortable again on an airplane
    • Get 20k steps in a single day
    • Do a full 30 minutes of elliptical with no pauses
    • Get 22k steps in a single day I have done that 5 or 6 times now. Most recently yesterday with over 23k.
    • Walk or Hike 5 miles
    • Celebrate my 2 year weight loss anniversary
    • Have a calculated and reliable TDEE by my 2 year anniversary

• merph518
    Options
    Nice, ND. What are you doing for strength training so far? I spent the winter doing sessions with a personal trainer once per week, just getting comfortable in the gym and learning different exercises/lifts. As of a couple weeks ago I settled on doing the Starting Strength program and hope to phase out my PT before too much longer. Gets kind of expensive, but I find the help to be really worthwhile.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a bike when I hit - 250? 225? 200? I can't quite remember now which weight it was. I grew up with coaster brakes and single speed bikes and have no experience with gears or hand brakes so I got me a beach cruiser. The nice thing about it is that it has nice, fat tires so it was easily able to handle my weight, and the coaster brakes fit with my natural tendency to slam my foot back to stop - my fear with hand brakes is losing the few precious seconds it would take for my brain to remember I needed to squeeze the handle to stop!

But since I live in WV, the places I can ride are hilly, and I find myself walking a lot of the time or just cruising without peddling, so I'm giving serious thought to maybe getting myself a 7 speed this summer.
  • merph518
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I finally got over my phobia of being shirtless in public and had a really nice evening swimming with my wife and daughter tonight. I saw my reflection in a mirror while at the pool and decided maybe I wasn't as hideous as I had felt I was, so that was a nice bonus.

Going to start joining them for their weekly swim.

Finished Today!

On the Horizon
    • Lose 125 lbs.
    • Commit to Starting Strength program, lifting 3x/week for a month (starting 2/28)

• Lose 150 lbs.
    • Fit into L shirts.
    • Lose 175 lbs.

• Bike 20 miles.
    • Run 10 minute mile.
    • Run 9 minute mile.
    • Run 8 minute mile.

Completed
    • Lose 50 lbs.
    • Bike 10 miles.
    • Fit into 2xl shirts.
    • Lose 100 lbs.
    • Fit into xl shirts.
    • Bike 15 miles.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    @merph518 What’s that white stuff in that pic?
  • merph518
    Options
    @88olds If you mean the picture with my bike, it's ice. The lake was frozen.
  • merph518
    Options
    Finished Today!

On the Horizon
    • Lose 125 lbs.
    • Average 12,000 steps per day for a month

• Lose 150 lbs.
    • Fit into L shirts.
    • Lose 175 lbs.

• Bike 20 miles.
    • Run 10 minute mile.
    • Run 9 minute mile.
    • Run 8 minute mile.

Completed
    • Lose 50 lbs.
    • Bike 10 miles.
    • Fit into 2xl shirts.
    • Lose 100 lbs.
    • Fit into xl shirts.
    • Bike 15 miles.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    Nice, ND. What are you doing for strength training so far? I spent the winter doing sessions with a personal trainer once per week, just getting comfortable in the gym and learning different exercises/lifts. As of a couple weeks ago I settled on doing the Starting Strength program and hope to phase out my PT before too much longer. Gets kind of expensive, but I find the help to be really worthwhile.

I have a PF membership. I am only doing machines at the moment. I am also hoping to phase out PT in the next months or so. It is a little too much to try to get all of it worked in to a single week.

My plan for the next 2 weeks is to take another class and also get my gym rat and future PT (that is his current plan anyway) nephew to help me. I am ignoring all of my previous gym experience and trying to start from square one. I feel like this is the best way to build a solid foundation.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I hadn't really posted to this because my only long-term goal was just to lose what I could. Right now, I have trying to get down to the 220's by the end of the year in mind, which would be to lose another 40 lbs by the 1st of December. Which ought to be completely doable.

When I set up HappyScale, I told it to break down my goals in 10 lb increments. Getting below that 260 lb mark is huge because that was the last goal I had in mind back in late 2017 when I stalled, so I've been 2 1/2 years trying to get to that mark--talk about a long term goal! I'm almost there, though! I had wanted to have it in by my birthday on Sunday, but while I did have once day where I flirted with it, water weight has raised my weight back up by a lb or two, and I don't think the moving average will be there by tomorrow, even though HappyScale is predicting it will. We'll have to see.

I'm a little disappointed, which I know is ridiculous because I'm practically there, but I had in my mind that I wanted it to be 259 or 258 by my birthday, so that critical person who lives in my head is insisting that 261 or even 260 itself is failure. Stupid, I know, but that critical person isn't exactly the most rational of people......

Next mini-goal is to get to 257, though I admit, this particular goal is kind of selfish and vain - my sister mentioned that the last time she had her weight taken, she was at 258 lbs, so 257 would have me officially lighter than she is for the first time in our lives, and would make me the 2nd lightest person in our family for the first time ever - I've always been the heaviest or 2nd heaviest. My next vanity goal is to get to 220 and get lighter than my mother......though I also hope, in vain most probably, that perhaps me getting lighter than her might push my sister's jealously into actually having her do something about her weight.

I have finally started adding in activity as well. I know I need to get some sort of weight lifting program started too, but I don't have a lot of time in the evenings during the week with Jiu-Jitsu 2 days a week and church on the 3rd, and I only have Saturdays for chores, so I hate to commit to something else, but perhaps in time, once I can afford a trainer for a few months to make sure I've got my forms right. They are also breaking ground on an aquatic center here in the county. It probably won't open until next year, but I'm keeping my eye on it because I'd like to take swimming lessons and add swimming to my activity list.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Bmeadows, see above how far you have come!....except for being critical of yourself!

I have waited a very long time to post any long term goals because honestly, I never thought I would be here this long!...Surprise!....I am still here!...still motivated and determined to continue losing weight....I haven’t been perfect because I have occasional binges....when I am not binging, I do everything the way I am supposed to....I measure, weigh and log....I don’t cheat or sneak extra bites or tastes....but when I binge, that is a whole different story....in “all out binge mode “ I can devour foods that I might not really like....it’s just stuffing it in fast....ugh!.....

So I have been thinking of long term goals lately and where this road is going....I know I will have to log and count calories the rest of my life, and I am ok with that...small effort if it helps me keep the weight off...being 69, I might live another 20 years if I am lucky...I want those 20 years to be the best they can be....I don’t plan on getting another degree from college or getting a job, nor doing any volunteer work...I have traveled to many places but I would like to go on at least one or two more long road trips somewhere in N. America....I would like to go on a zip line....I want to be able to walk much farther than I can right now and I want to keep swimming for as often and long as I can....I want to dance again with my husband....I want to be healthy and strong...I want to be able to take care of myself and our house and not suffer from age related diseases like dementia or cancer or RA....I want to be pain free....

Maybe these goals are not as exciting as others or as daring but they are important to me...I would like to ride in a convertible with the wind blowing my hair and maybe The Beach Boys playing....that sounds exciting!
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My long term scale goals:
    189 by the end of the year
    149 (top of healthy range) by my 30th birthday, Dec 2021
    135 (goal weight) by June 2022

Long term fitness goals:
    Train for and run a half marathon. I'd also like to get to where I feel comfortable doing multi-day hikes - I'd love to hike portions of the Appalachian trail.

Long term lifestyle goals:
    Get to the point where I no longer miss the junk food binges or using food as my primary source of comfort.
    Obtain and maintain cardio fitness so that I can walk up hills or flights of stairs without feeling like I'm dying at the top.
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Physical Health Goals:
    • Enjoy life while losing
    • Reach my old half marathon weight from 8 years ago - 212
    • Fit into Black Aspirational Dress - XL
    • Get under 200
    • Run/Walk a 5k with my daughter next summer
    • Run a 5k without walking
    • Reach old low weight from 20 years ago - 172
    • Go on ALL the rides at the amusement park, I wonder at what weight it would be "safe" to attempt this...
    • Fit into XL shirts/dresses
    • Fit into L shirts/dresses
    • Fit into M shirts/dresses
    • Fit into size 20 jeans
    • Fit into size 18 jeans
    • Fit size size 16 jeans
    • Fit size 14 jeans
    • Fit size 12 jeans
    • Fit size 10 jeans
    • Eventually meet my dream goal weight - 136
    • Maintain along the way and keep tracking!

This was a great exercise! Thanks for putting it out there.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    • Below 40 BMI
    • Below 35 BMI
    • Below 30 BMI
    • Below 25 BMI
    • Below 200 lbs
    • Below 175 lbs (high school-ish weight)
    • Hit 150 lbs
    • Hit a wealthy weight (unsure what that # is still)
    • Run a 5K
    • Run a 10K
    • Run a half marathon
    • Maaaybe do a sprint triathlon
    • Be fit and strong enough to not fear trying new activities
    • Learn rock climbing
    • Do a handstand
    • Do a cartwheel
    • Do a multi-day bike trip
    • Hike mountains again
    • Lower my BP
    • Make the process as easy as possible
    • Be healthy and active
    • Feel good in my body
    • Feel strong and capable
    • Maintain
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    My long term goal is to get under 200 pounds this year and figure out how to stay on maintenance to keep the weight off!...my doctor and I have discussed my weight goals and we both agree that 190 to 199 would be a wonderful weight for me to aim for...at my age (69) and my height (5’8”) and the amount of extra skin I could have ( pounds of it )...this probably is as low as I would want to go without skin reduction surgery...actually only my upper arms are really sagging...the rest of my body is firming up much more than I thought it would... the swimming and gallons of body lotion I use daily, and drinking lots of water helps!...I am also having some very minor cosmetic surgery on my eyes this summer....I feel better mentally and physically than I have in years....what are your goals?...what is your plan?...be strong, we can do this!
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I will reach goal this year. I am 20ish pounds from goal. This is totally achievable. I want to wear my bikini this summer at the beach. I will meet with the plastic surgeon to discuss the removal of all the excess skin. I may not be able to have the surgery this year but I will at least have a solid plan as to how much it will cost and how long I will need to take off.