TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (September)

Options

Replies

• erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    cossmoss15 wrote: »
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    This is for you, Mel (and for me, too!!)

Whenever I count calories, and am in a deficit, I have trouble sleeping because I wake up hungry. Yes, I should need to eat more, but the whole "what to eat" becomes a question. I am looking for suggestions of what to eat right before bed that will help to keep me fuller, longer, so that I hopefully don't wake up. So, this is my

QUESTION OF THE WEEK - What do you eat right before bed that keep you from waking up hungry in the middle of the night?

@cmhubbard92 Great willpower!!!

My favourite is nuts. Preferably salted pistachios. I know nuts are high in calories but they are quick and easy. I figure the protein is a good choice to not get hungry. (Unfortunately the evenings are a challenging time for me and I go for the junk food . . . )

My problem there is I would eat the entire container in one sitting without realizing it 😬
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    brandi_84 wrote: »
    My struggle for this week has been resisting the urge to snack since we have to eat dinner pretty early several days a week.

@brandi_84, I kind of missed this the first time around. If you have to resist the urge to snack in the evening, then leave some calories on the table to do just that. Eat fewer calories up until dinner, (which I assume would be easier to do than foregoing a snack at the end of the day) so that you have enough left for a night time snack.

And I hope your pulled muscle is feeling better this week!!

@HASWLRS You're right, I really need to do just that. The trick will be drinking more water and less sugary drinks since that is where those extra calories are. I made a catagory just for drinks to help see how many calories I'm drinking. My personal Challenge right now will be to drink more water in exchange for a night time snack. That should help with the water challenge here too.
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    9/16/19
    Tracked: yes
    Under: yes
    Exercise: yes
    Steps(currently): 12,530
    Water(currently): 96oz

Took the pups on separate walks. Roy went for the shorter walk because he loves to pull(old habits die hard), and Dillon went for a longer walk in the opposite directions. I have to say I had so much energy after taking Dillon even though he's picking up the pace on our walks(which I am totally for), but I feel totally drained after walking Roy. Made my snack(grapes and cheddar cheese) and boyfriend's lunch, cleaned up the kitchen, and cold-brewed some unsweetened iced tea so I can have at work tomorrow. I am heading to bed in a few minutes, so I will update any new numbers in the morning!

I'm not sure I could walk both my dogs by myself either.. My daughter and I walk together and we have to take turns walking our new guy because he wears us out with his pulling. Our older dog is like walking a feather and he is twice a big.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    9/16/19
    Steps(currently): 12,530
    Water(currently): 96oz

Took the pups on separate walks. Roy went for the shorter walk because he loves to pull(old habits die hard), and Dillon went for a longer walk in the opposite directions. I have to say I had so much energy after taking Dillon even though he's picking up the pace on our walks(which I am totally for), but I feel totally drained after walking Roy. Made my snack(grapes and cheddar cheese) and boyfriend's lunch, cleaned up the kitchen, and cold-brewed some unsweetened iced tea so I can have at work tomorrow. I am heading to bed in a few minutes, so I will update any new numbers in the morning!

I'm not sure I could walk both my dogs by myself either.. My daughter and I walk together and we have to take turns walking our new guy because he wears us out with his pulling. Our older dog is like walking a feather and he is twice a big.

We have the opposite situation then! That's pretty funny. While I can manage very short walks when taking them together, Dillon likes the longer ones while Roy enjoys the short ones so he can sniff around and go back home to sleep haha. I don't mind doing the separate walks because it gives me more steps and exercise in general.
  • Caronell
    Caronell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sorry for delay in posting. I worked weekend nights so have been catching up on sleep (and eating 🙈)

Previous weight: 149 Ibs
    This week: 147.8 Ibs
    Loss: 1.2 Ibs
  • ethelsmommy
    ethelsmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Today, the Dr said I'm doing very well and that she's happy with my progress. I frankly haven't heard that since Junior was born and I had my first post-natal exam 16 years ago. I feel better, I move a little easier, and my husband keeps chasing me around the house. I guess it's working, but the hypothyroidism is still an unaddressed problem. I know I have it, but for months the Dr has put me off because my labs come back in the range of normal.

After the weigh-in (how is it possible to gain a pound since Saturday when my caloric intake has been under 1200 and my FitBit tells me I'm doing 10K steps per day, plus metabolic interval training? WTF?) I told the nurse that I'd better get the Synthroid scrip today or "so help me God, someone in this office is losing a gonad." She must've told the Dr, because she not only ordered the scrip for me, she even gave me free samples to get started... and kept a discrete distance from me.

The moral of this story: Sometimes you need to be a little more than assertive about your health care. Sometimes you need to be a boss.
  • Coral333
    Coral333 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone hope you’re all well today.
    My answer to the question isn’t that helpful either as like @erikNJ and @cmhubbard92 I try my best to not eat anything after dinner most nights. I do drink a lot of water and tend to have a cup of tea with some semi skimmed milk which sees me through.
    Loving the losses big and small yesterday and today and the step challenge really motivated me to get out after a long one at work. I was in for 12 hours with parents night added in and had a lot of meetings throughout the day which meant my general step count was quite a bit lower than normal. I’m ending the day on 10490 though!
    @annabananamc I’m keen to get back into yoga at the minute too - are you following any programme or heading to classes?
  • ethelsmommy
    ethelsmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    RE: Question of the Week, I have my only "snack" of the day before bedtime. I have a cup of hot tea (Tetley British Blend) with a splash of 2% milk and 2 raw sugars (45 calories total), along with two Honeymaid graham crackers (140 calories) about an hour before bed (and my last glass of water for the day.) I'm gonna be honest here--I do wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom visit, but I would be doing that anyway at this stage in my life, so I don't see it as a side effect. Also, I log it in under "snacks" on my daily chart every morning so that I know how many calories I'm working with for the day.
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Tracked, at and enjoyed a nice long hike 11, 170 steps. will add to sheet
    evening snacking has done me in: but now, I also log it at the beginning of the day and adjust my meals as a result.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Mini-challenge
    Sun: yes/no/yes
    Mon: yes/yes/no

Tue
    tracked: yes
    under: yes
    exercise: yes
    I was able to shave a minute off of my time running a mile this week. 1 more minute to get off by next Thursday to meet me goal.

Also do I enter my water here? Or can I enter it on the sheet myself?
  • pkg1998
    pkg1998 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    My struggle for this week has been resisting the urge to snack since we have to eat dinner pretty early several days a week.

@brandi_84, I kind of missed this the first time around. If you have to resist the urge to snack in the evening, then leave some calories on the table to do just that. Eat fewer calories up until dinner, (which I assume would be easier to do than foregoing a snack at the end of the day) so that you have enough left for a night time snack.

And I hope your pulled muscle is feeling better this week!!

@HASWLRS You're right, I really need to do just that. The trick will be drinking more water and less sugary drinks since that is where those extra calories are. I made a catagory just for drinks to help see how many calories I'm drinking. My personal Challenge right now will be to drink more water in exchange for a night time snack. That should help with the water challenge here too.

@brandi_84 - love the idea of having a category just for drinks. I never thought of utilizing the flexibility of mfp that way. It’s a great way to work the program to fit your needs.
  • pkg1998
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Mini-challenge

Tue
    I was able to shave a minute off of my time running a mile this week. 1 more minute to get off by next Thursday to meet me goal.

@erikNJ - that’s great that you’re making progress on your running. That’s an impressive NSV.
  • pkg1998
    Options
    Re: Question of the week

I don’t typically eat after dinner either. I’m pretty good about getting all my calories in before then :D . I do find that if I eat at the lower end of my range that I wake up hungrier the next morning though.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    9/17/19
    Water: 80oz
    Steps: 11,670

Two separate puppy walks again, and they took longer than expected. My second walk with Dillon led to a flock of children trying to pet him, making friends with some other puppies that were out on a stroll, and cars making him freeze every time they passed. Now, I'm up past my bedtime and am jumping into bed in a few minutes! I think I have all the steps updated to this point! Goodnight TBBT!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Caronell wrote: »
    Sorry for delay in posting. I worked weekend nights so have been catching up on sleep (and eating 🙈)

Previous weight: 149 Ibs
    This week: 147.8 Ibs
    Loss: 1.2 Ibs

@Caronell, we'll gladly accept your delayed post seeing as it is over a pound lost! Well done!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Today, the Dr said I'm doing very well and that she's happy with my progress. I frankly haven't heard that since Junior was born and I had my first post-natal exam 16 years ago. I feel better, I move a little easier, and my husband keeps chasing me around the house. I guess it's working, but the hypothyroidism is still an unaddressed problem. I know I have it, but for months the Dr has put me off because my labs come back in the range of normal.

After the weigh-in (how is it possible to gain a pound since Saturday when my caloric intake has been under 1200 and my FitBit tells me I'm doing 10K steps per day, plus metabolic interval training? WTF?) I told the nurse that I'd better get the Synthroid scrip today or "so help me God, someone in this office is losing a gonad." She must've told the Dr, because she not only ordered the scrip for me, she even gave me free samples to get started... and kept a discrete distance from me.

The moral of this story: Sometimes you need to be a little more than assertive about your health care. Sometimes you need to be a boss.

@ethelsmommy, that is a great NSV, that your doctor is happy with your progress!! And I agree 100%...we have to be assertive with our health care providers, because even though we may not have medical degrees, there's something to be said about intuition and gut feelings when it comes to our own bodies. We do know our own bodies best!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    pkg1998 wrote: »
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Mini-challenge

Tue

@erikNJ - that’s great that you’re making progress on your running. That’s an impressive NSV.

@erikNJ, I'll second that, Erik! Very well done on taking another minute off your time!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Missing a couple of weigh-ins:

@Audgiebug and @eatingfoodles
  • swauters
    swauters Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    mini-challenge
    Sept 17

tracked- yes
    under- no
    exercise - no

water- 84 oz, steps 14760

Man I have been tired the last couple of days. It's 7:30 and I can barely keep my eyes open.

Regarding the question of the week- I need to agree with many here. I try not to eat after 7 pm (try... thats why one of my goals this week is to brush my teeth so that I don't eat). I am fortunate that I don't get hungry throughout the night, but I do wake 3-4 times to use the bathroom!

I am too tired to reply individually, but sending positive energy out to the group as we leave Tuesday and enter Wednesday.
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Sept 16
    Tracking: yes
    Calories: yes
    Step: 3933
    Water:88oz
    30 min yoga
    15 min meditation
    I had a 2 hr drive to Oakland for a medical appointment it was horrible