MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLE TEAM CHAT - September 2019

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,203 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    apple852hk wrote: »
    Not much change but didn't eat well. I have trouble eating my meals in 10 mins. I don't feel full or hungry afterwards but still want to eat. I think I like munching but not chewing my food slowly.

I have tried watching videos to make eating process longer - but I just leave my food getting cold. I notice I have a belief to eat quickly as food should be hot.

Since I have been eating soup this week - maybe that's why I don't feel full. The favourite part of the meal is chewing the side of bread with the soup.

Has anyone else been a person who likes munching on food but not chewing mindfully? Any suggestion on how to appreciate food than just feel like a task to be completed quickly?

I've been thinking about your post. For me, I do best eating a lot of food, which means a lot of vegetables! I try to get decent protein too. I still try to pay attention to how full I feel. Examples of recent meals are about a pound of vegetables with eggs, yogurt an apple and a pear, large spring green salads with lots of diced vegetables beans and sunflower seeds, and salmon or beans with half a plate of roasted veggies. I do well most of the time eating this way. I usually avoid distractions when I'm eating so I can enjoy my food. Sounds geeky but when i eat my salad at lunch i actually think of how it's nourishing my body. If I'm in the mood for snacking, I'll have frozen blueberries or cut-up vegetables with Tajin on them or dip them in a yogurt dressing. Now where I run into trouble is when I'm out-of-town and don't have my own food or healthy stuff to order from a menu! Being used to a lot of food isn't good at buffets! So while I have a good plan and like what I eat daily, I struggle when out of my routine. And they say to wait 20 minutes before getting seconds, I do think that helps.

As I read through the various teams threads, sometimes I am inspired to answer. First of all, this exchange is a great example of the kind of discussion that is effective and helpful on these teams. Secondly, I second @katmary71 ! I do not worry about how fast I eat, but I load up my plate with a LOT of vegetables and the chewing is both satisfying and cannot be rushed. I love munching down a big plate of food, and I'm not the slightest bit ashamed of it - but what is on that plate makes all the difference. Sometimes I see the photos of people's meals on these challenges and I feel sad that they eat so small an amount! The best way to be able to eat a high volume of food is to lose the grains, keep the fats and proteins reasonable, and load up on vegetables, beans, fruits. Give it a try and see if it is more satisfying. The mindless problem is when you are eating trigger foods, which for me usually involve grains. I eat plenty of other carbs as veg and fruit, but grains get me going. Sometimes nuts or trail mixes will push me past the point of healthy, so identify what gives you those "I can't stop" moments and avoid those if you can.
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Jactop wrote: »
    Username: Jactop
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 214
    Current Weight: 212

Nice loss!
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    apple852hk wrote: »
    Not much change but didn't eat well. I have trouble eating my meals in 10 mins. I don't feel full or hungry afterwards but still want to eat. I think I like munching but not chewing my food slowly.

I have tried watching videos to make eating process longer - but I just leave my food getting cold. I notice I have a belief to eat quickly as food should be hot.

Since I have been eating soup this week - maybe that's why I don't feel full. The favourite part of the meal is chewing the side of bread with the soup.

Has anyone else been a person who likes munching on food but not chewing mindfully? Any suggestion on how to appreciate food than just feel like a task to be completed quickly?

I've been thinking about your post. For me, I do best eating a lot of food, which means a lot of vegetables! I try to get decent protein too. I still try to pay attention to how full I feel. Examples of recent meals are about a pound of vegetables with eggs, yogurt an apple and a pear, large spring green salads with lots of diced vegetables beans and sunflower seeds, and salmon or beans with half a plate of roasted veggies. I do well most of the time eating this way. I usually avoid distractions when I'm eating so I can enjoy my food. Sounds geeky but when i eat my salad at lunch i actually think of how it's nourishing my body. If I'm in the mood for snacking, I'll have frozen blueberries or cut-up vegetables with Tajin on them or dip them in a yogurt dressing. Now where I run into trouble is when I'm out-of-town and don't have my own food or healthy stuff to order from a menu! Being used to a lot of food isn't good at buffets! So while I have a good plan and like what I eat daily, I struggle when out of my routine. And they say to wait 20 minutes before getting seconds, I do think that helps.

As I read through the various teams threads, sometimes I am inspired to answer. First of all, this exchange is a great example of the kind of discussion that is effective and helpful on these teams. Secondly, I second @katmary71 ! I do not worry about how fast I eat, but I load up my plate with a LOT of vegetables and the chewing is both satisfying and cannot be rushed. I love munching down a big plate of food, and I'm not the slightest bit ashamed of it - but what is on that plate makes all the difference. Sometimes I see the photos of people's meals on these challenges and I feel sad that they eat so small an amount! The best way to be able to eat a high volume of food is to lose the grains, keep the fats and proteins reasonable, and load up on vegetables, beans, fruits. Give it a try and see if it is more satisfying. The mindless problem is when you are eating trigger foods, which for me usually involve grains. I eat plenty of other carbs as veg and fruit, but grains get me going. Sometimes nuts or trail mixes will push me past the point of healthy, so identify what gives you those "I can't stop" moments and avoid those if you can.

@jugar - I agree, I get a lot out of the conversations. I used to eat more veggies and theses days I have been eating fewer veggies - and I also am a chewer, usually the last one done. Hm, I need to make more effort on the veggies to see if this helps curb my urge to eat...for the sake of eating.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

@raleighgirl09 - I love @TeresaW1020 's question about your overall goal.
    One thing I have done in the past is find a magazine photo of the body I wanted, and then keep that goal image where I can check in and see it regularly. Over the last year and a half, it was not a picture so much as a set of health issues I wanted to resolve. It could be having a copy of your blood work or some other health report where you can see it, if that's a thing. Do you have a clear sense of what you want, and why, and a way to get reminded?

@AustinRuadhain - me too, and now I think I walked by those suggestion too quickly @TeresaW1020 and @Kres567. The numbers goal is not great for me now...but there are other goals. Walking more, further and faster without foot pain - worthy goal, and tied to the commitment of committing. I think I really fear failure and worry about setting goals too high, but I could be more positive and tailor them to me.
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING TEAM
    WHEN I GET BACK TODAY FROM GETTING MY NEW PROSTHETIC TODAY I AM GOING TO OPEN REGISTRATION FOR OCTOBER. I DON'T WANT TO USE ANY HOLLYWOOD MEME OR JPEG. I WOULD LIKE TO USE SOME OF THE GROUPS PHOTOS. REAL PEOPLE LOSING REAL WEIGHT. IF YOU WOULD PREFER ME NOT USING YOU LET ME KNOW.
    MY INTENT HERE IS TO SHOW OFF OUR GROUP AND CONNECT THE NEW MEMBERS WITH REAL PEOPLE. NOT SOME CRAP I PULLED OF THE WORLD WIDE WEB.
    I WON'T POST ANYTHING UNTIL TOMORROW MORNING JUST SO YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO SAY YEA OR NAY.
    THANKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE OUR GROUP BIGGER BETTER BADDER
    GREG
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Tuesday 9/23 checkin
    Username: mrmcgrath
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 202.6
    Todays Weight:

Yesterday
    Calories: over/under? Under
    Water: over/under? Under
    Macro/micros : all within range
    Exercise: Elliptical and treadmill during lunch. Light stretching throughout day

Goals or Improvements for today:
    Meet step goal
    Lots of water

I really hate it when you have a great gym workout and the next morning the scale is up. I know it is water retention but I really like seeing the number on the scale go down...not up.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    @Jactop and @Katmary71 - Brilliant weigh-in, both of you! Congratulations!
    @Katmary71 - Congratulations on dealing with that vacation weight bounce so quickly! Super impressive!

@jugar - Yes! And some of those trigger foods can surprise you. Nuts are so healthy, but by gosh, I am careful about how I eat them and what with, as mixing them with sweet things can trigger the munchies for me.

@raleighgirl09
    This is such a rich conversation, at least for me!
    As I think about it, I do best when I have two kinds of goals.
    I find it helpful to have that big picture goal -- a physical or mental picture of the healthy body, better blood work, walking without pain.
    But what helps me day to day, is working on small "get 1% better" goals that have to do with daily actions, with those actions being actions that will get me to the big picture goal. On a day-to-day basis, I don't aim for a big change. I do best when I focus on small actions, with a win for the day being something small in the area I am focused on -- ate breakfast on plan, ate X servings of veggies, did X minutes of exercise.
    Thanks for the reminder to think about this! I am off to review and adjust my daily goals!

On a related topic, I was catching up on the nutritionfacts podcast on a walk last night, and was reminded that what I eat affects how hungry I get. Dr. Greger talks here about people eating oats that have been proceed differently, and having a different level of hunger afterwards. Fascinating stuff, to me! Your comment about working to up the fruits and veggies maybe ties in here!
    https://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-is-a-better-breakfast-cereal-or-oatmeal/
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Wow some great discussions going on and I can relate to so many of them. @jugar I agree that is a big part of what makes this group great.

I too avoid the no sugar challenge. I find those kinds of challenges set me up for failure and the bad feelings come along with that. So my goal is to find a way to lose weight while still eating and drinking all the things I really love and I have managed to do that. The moment I start becoming too restrictive is when I fail miserably and start to feel bad about myself. My weight/health will always be a work in progress but I want to eat in a way that I can still enjoy and maintain long term.

That said I haven’t checked in for days. My busy weekend and busy Monday got away on me. I overdid it on the weekend as always but at least it wasn’t as damaging as usual so I am counting that as a victory! I expect the scale will still be down on Thursday.

My goals are to continue building on all the healthy habits that work for me so that I can continue on the weight loss journey that I started nearly a year ago. My long term goal is to get under the top of my goal range and to build a stronger body.
  • Kres567
    Options
    Monday check in:

Calories: under
    Water: under
    Exercise: nothing formal

Goals for Monday:
    1. Drink 100oz of water❌
    2. Complete day 2 no sugar✅
    3. Work out on the elliptical❌

Goals for Tuesday:
    1. Workout in the morning ✅
    2. Complete day 3 of no sugar
    3. Walk at lunch - just generally try and move more
    4. Stick to the meal plan
    5. Have fruit or tea when I get home if starving
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Weekly Weigh in
    Username - bethanie0825
    Day - Tuesday
    Previous - 235
    Current - 234.6

Went to the Dr this morning. He could see the fluid retention in my hands and feel it in my lower legs. He put me back on my old meds. Now I'm waiting on BCBS to approve it. He is pleased with my weight loss since last year and told me to keep it up.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,693 Member
    Options
    Tuesday check in
    Calories under
    Exercise bike
    Water plenty
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Options
    Daily Post:for September 23nd

Track: Yes
    Calories under goal: yes
    Exercise: walking
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Went to Bible study tonight and one of the ladies brought a lucious looking dark chocolate cake for us all. 😳😳😳 Chocolate cake is my favorite food on the planet. But I just said no thank you and drank my water.

xkwa4naaqufk.png
  • fleetwood1
    fleetwood1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Username: Fleetwood1
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Weight: 255.8
    Today's Weight: 257.4

It has been a rough week with my father-in-law in the hospital. I ate late last night and knew I would be up this morning when I weighed in. He is finally doing better. I will get back on track!
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 that is some will power!! I would have caved. Good for you! I love the Dogget reference. Lol

Checking in.
    Still struggling to find balance in my life.
    Calories over but tracking everyday which is good.
    Water and exercise getting better but not there yet.

Goals are to continue building good habits and work on finding routines that work for me.
  • Kres567
    Options
    fleetwood1 wrote: »
    Username: Fleetwood1
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Weight: 255.8
    Today's Weight: 257.4

It has been a rough week with my father-in-law in the hospital. I ate late last night and knew I would be up this morning when I weighed in. He is finally doing better. I will get back on track!

Good news about your father-in-law. Sometimes we just have to go with the flow of life and do the best we can at the time. You will drop this extra weight in no time!
  • Kres567
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 that is some will power!! I would have caved. Good for you! I love the Dogget reference. Lol

Checking in.
    Still struggling to find balance in my life.
    Calories over but tracking everyday which is good.
    Water and exercise getting better but not there yet.

Goals are to continue building good habits and work on finding routines that work for me.

Slow and steady wins the race!
  • Kres567
    Options
    I was not as strong as @TeresaW1020 but I didn’t overindulge. I had a couple of pieces of dark chocolate yesterday afternoon but that’s been it in 3 days. The first day I had headaches but I’m feeling better now.

I don’t see the numbers dropping on the scale at all but I’m feeling more energetic.

Have a great day!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    @Fleetwood1 - So glad to hear your father-in-law is improving! Do what you can to take good care of yourself. As you say, you'll get back on track as soon as it works! 🤗

@TeresaW1020 - Wow! You are doing such great work in this No Sugar Challenge! And double wow -- resisting chocolate cake! Super impressive! 🏆

@digger61 - 🎈 What a great day! You have done such a great job adjusting to your new schedule! 😊

@Katmary71 - What an excellent day you had -- food, water and exercise all on track! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

@sunshineplace - You are doing great, you really are! Tracking food regularly is a great place to be at already! And improvements in calories, water and exercise, too! Just keep up what you are doing. Making small improvements over time will absolutely get you there! 🤗😊

@Kres567 - Great job not indulging in sweets! 🏆That really takes some willpower. And persisting through headaches, too! So glad you are feeling better!
This discussion has been closed.