Fearing the unknown

Options
Yes, I admit that sometimes I am afraid of losing weight!....as much as I want and need to do this for my mental and physical health, I worry about how this is all going to play out....am I going to be the same person or am I going to become a person I don’t know?....I was a comfortable fat person....I had a routine I was used to...I slept a lot and I ate a lot....I was never one to say that I didn’t eat a thing and gained weight....I know I ate....thinking about what I could consume in one 24 hour span makes me sick...will I ever lose the desire to eat to just be eating?...realistically I know I can never eat like that again if I want to lose weight but the thought of sitting down with a few candy bars and a sub sounds pretty good!...I worry about what I am going to look like...I worry if I am going to be able to stay focused and motivated...I am afraid if I do finally lose the weight, I could gain it back like so many others do...I worry a lot about things I have no control over....I am scared that if I don’t finish this journey, I won’t have the desire to do it again...I am afraid of failure...

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if many of us share at least some of those thoughts on occasion.

My question for you is how afraid of you of today? I presume you have some plans so how much of today is unknown? How much will you change from the start of the day to the finish of the day?

For me the answer is always to focus on today. I don't worry about weight loss today because very little of it will happen. I won't change that much today and while there are unknowns with my plans this evening they are not big unknowns they are things like not knowing the address of where I need to be yet and things like that.

I did experience grief over the change in food habits As more weight has been lost though I realize I am gaining more physical freedom than the food freedom could ever be worth. Also, I am not giving up on having my version of a few candy bars and a sub completely. I am just going to do that kind of thing very rarely now.

• ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I was where you are before. I used to be afraid if I could really do this. I got an odd set of proof that I can do this.

A few months ago my scale refused to budge for over a week. Out of frustration I decided that I would make it move one way or another and I binged for a day. It made me so sick and yet I still didn’t eat but half of what I used to eat at most. Most of the foods I got used to be things that I would eat nearly daily before I started trying to lose the weight. I found 90% of them to be disgusting and I wondered how I had ever eaten that.

I found this to be the case again during my break, so many foods that I thought I would enjoy, that I thought I would binge, foods that I used to enjoy, well I didn’t. I missed eating properly on days that I didn’t.

I hope that you find your proof without a huge binge. That doesn’t mean that I don’t still have my moments because I do, but I try to focus on other things or I try to fit in a responsible amount of something that I want.

Have you tried allowing in a treat or item that you miss here or there? I found that many foods that I have denied myself fit nicely into my day. Sure some of them have to be modified or done in smaller amounts, but they have been possible.

Hang in there, it’s a rough road, but you can do it.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    For some crazy reason, I know I am going to succeed this time but it still scares me to think about the long road ahead and how long it’s going to take me to get there!..i have reached the point in my life where I either lose this weight once and for all or spend the rest of my life unhealthy and watching life pass me by...I have had both knees replaced and the added weight is making my knees hurt a lot more...so I made the decision to finally lose weight...I am determined to do this..

I have had a couple of “ treat “ foods like a small slice of birthday cake and pizza....I haven’t had any candy or cookies...I am afraid as so many times before if I try to eat one cookie or one candy bar, it will be like Pandora’s Box....I won’t be able to stop eating them and one cookie will turn into the entire package...and then I will need milk to go with them and if you have milk you might as well fix a sandwich and get some chips because you already blew it so you might as well eat and start over again in the morning...it’s like the children’s book, If you Give A Mouse A Cookie!...I feel like I am walking on a tight rope...one slip and I will be a goner!...I know as Novus wrote that it is important to focus on today....one day at a time, right?

...when do these feelings stop or do they ever stop?...do you always crave things that you know aren’t good for you?...I am doing really good right now and I feel good about where I am but I think I am hanging on every day...I think this is called “The Honeymoon Phase” where all of this is new and still pretty easy...but I have been here before and I know how difficult it gets when the weight loss slows down and you start feeling like you can’t do it another day...I am so afraid I am going to screw this up!

I can’t say sweets are my downfall because it doesn’t matter what I am eating as long as there is a lot of it....yes, frustration and stress are two reasons I overeat...my husband says when I get on the scales, it sets my mood for the day!...

Some days are worse than others...I want to do this so badly and I am stubborn....maybe being stubborn will help me continue because I do not want to quit what I have started!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Thank you both for your support and advice and for listening....I know my head will be in a better place again in a few days!
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    Please find a way to enjoy the process. Every moment counts. Be present in the moment, plan for the future, and live. Fear is just your thoughts going astray. Correct your thoughts an believe in yourself, you are perfect in every way. Believe it and Be!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I think there is a part of really knowing you will succeed that can make the process scarier. It is more unknown. I know what being large is like. I am certainly on a first named basis with failure. Having real and sustainable success will be very unusual.

On the treats that you are not sure how well you can moderate there is a common suggestion that you only bring home an amount you are comfortable eating. I am not sure if that will apply to all the treats you are interested in eating or not.

I always know that I will log it and I will not want to see a foolish expenditure of calories. It hasn't always stopped me so sometimes I just had take the hit and face the log but doing that helped retrain me over time. I am not saying that should or would work for you. Moderating treats can be a really tricky subject. I think when you are comfortably trying something you just have to experiment with what will work for you.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Please find a way to enjoy the process. Every moment counts. Be present in the moment, plan for the future, and live. Fear is just your thoughts going astray. Correct your thoughts an believe in yourself, you are perfect in every way. Believe it and Be!

Sometimes quick answers are not real answers. We are not robots that can simply adjust programming when there is an issue. Being human sometimes means accepting that a weakness doesn't have to be conquered it just has to be contained. I believe that @conniewilkins56 knows this she is just journaling her thoughts so she doesn't feel alone in them.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    So what about what I have said bothers you the most? Learning to enjoy the process? Be present in the moment? Planning for your future? Understanding our fear comes from our thoughts? Learning to correct your thoughts? Learning to love yourself for who you are? The fact that you can learn to accept yourself as perfect in every way, here now and always? Or the fact that by believing in yourself to do something, you can?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Maybe it’s like traveling by plane....it’s not something I enjoy but occasionally I have to suck it up and fly if I want to reach my destination!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I still don’t like to fly but I can do it if I have to!
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    I apologize, the response was meant for @NovusDies.

@conniewilkins56 It’s ok to have your apprehension. If you can learn to enjoy the process, you will lose your weight, and begin to see how you can keep it off for the rest of your lifetime in an easy and relaxed manner.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    So what about what I have said bothers you the most? Learning to enjoy the process? Be present in the moment? Planning for your future? Understanding our fear comes from our thoughts? Learning to correct your thoughts? Learning to love yourself for who you are? The fact that you can learn to accept yourself as perfect in every way, here now and always? Or the fact that by believing in yourself to do something, you can?

I didn't say anything bothered me. Platitude-eque replies can sometimes come across as quick fixes/dismissals of problems. I wanted you to know that so that perhaps you will try to engage a little more.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

I can’t say sweets are my downfall because it doesn’t matter what I am eating as long as there is a lot of it....!

I have a trick for this one that has served me well because I’m the same way. I don’t use regular plates (unless I make a salad) instead I use a dessert plate, so that it appears that I’m eating a lot of food. In addition I do little things such as slicing up my apple at lunch, dividing up my 2oz of lunch meat into two sets on my plate. And grapes are awesome because 100g are 62 calories and fill up any space left on those smaller plates. For salads I use regular plates, because after you add everything it looks huge!
    It doesn’t sound like it should help, but at least for me it really does.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    If you still have weight loss fears or fears about the process, I recommend listening to the following podcasts. Brooke is probably the best I know at helping us control our thoughts, feelings, emotions, actions and results.

https://thelifecoachschool.com/podcast/5/

https://thelifecoachschool.com/podcast/152/
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo thanks for sharing your story. I'm currently struggling with that.. eating all the ice cream or chocolate that I bring in the house and then feeling like a total failure afterwards. I'm going to give your idea a go and see if that helps:).. knowing I "cant " have something makes me go postal so knowing once a week I can have a single serving will hopefully calm that thought process I have.😊
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @nutmegoreo thanks for sharing your story. I'm currently struggling with that.. eating all the ice cream or chocolate that I bring in the house and then feeling like a total failure afterwards. I'm going to give your idea a go and see if that helps:).. knowing I "cant " have something makes me go postal so knowing once a week I can have a single serving will hopefully calm that thought process I have.😊

Let me know how it goes! Accepting that I could have some took away a lot of the draw it had for me. That ongoing beating myself up for failing at something I really had set up to fail was so demoralizing.

(I hope you don't mind the hug, that was from me. I know some people find the virtual hugs creepy.)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you still have weight loss fears or fears about the process, I recommend listening to the following podcasts. Brooke is probably the best I know at helping us control our thoughts, feelings, emotions, actions and results.

https://thelifecoachschool.com/podcast/5/

https://thelifecoachschool.com/podcast/152/

I'll take a look at this at some point, but in my experience, controlling my thoughts wasn't the problem. For me, the problem was thinking my thoughts were wrong or that they needed to be controlled. For me, it was about learning to accept my thoughts and recognize them as human and therefor fallible, learning to question the validity of them, learning to sit with painful thoughts and feelings and just feel them without judgment. Not an easy task by any stretch, but it's become easier over time. By doing so, those negative emotions and thoughts have much less influence over me.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Yes, I admit that sometimes I am afraid of losing weight!....as much as I want and need to do this for my mental and physical health, I worry about how this is all going to play out....am I going to be the same person or am I going to become a person I don’t know?....I was a comfortable fat person....I had a routine I was used to...I slept a lot and I ate a lot....I was never one to say that I didn’t eat a thing and gained weight....I know I ate....thinking about what I could consume in one 24 hour span makes me sick...will I ever lose the desire to eat to just be eating?...realistically I know I can never eat like that again if I want to lose weight but the thought of sitting down with a few candy bars and a sub sounds pretty good!...I worry about what I am going to look like...I worry if I am going to be able to stay focused and motivated...I am afraid if I do finally lose the weight, I could gain it back like so many others do...I worry a lot about things I have no control over....I am scared that if I don’t finish this journey, I won’t have the desire to do it again...I am afraid of failure...

I really wanted to respond to this post. It really resonated with me because I lost the weight after feeling just like you. I lost about 108 pounds originally (right now I'm up from holidays). For a while I think I became a different person. Everything was just so new. I wasn't mean or nasty or anything I just was a bit different. Learning to eat different and to finally start moving because I could. It was new to me. My lifestyle changed because I had to fit in exercise and I quit eating for entertainment. I could buy clothes in regular stores. That took time to adjust to. I kept thinking someone would tell me I didn't belong there. It's been a couple years now and I feel like I'm back to being me. Just a smaller version. I'm still terrified of gaining the weight back tho. I'm still working on learning how to deal with boredom or depression. In fact I really went through a time of being depressed this summer for a couple months. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally a friend said to me "you lost weight thinking everything would change and be better and it didn't". Now normally that might have made me angry but since I was shocked at her observation thankfully I didn't really respond. I took some time to think about it. There's some truth in it. I'm older and have been married forever so I'm not looking for a partner or anything so I wasn't feeling depressed about that. People have adjusted to me at my new size. The ooo's and awww's are done and now I'm just normal. There's been a bit of a letdown. Having said all that what has changed is that I am more comfortable in a group setting. I stopped worrying about how much space I took up. I stopped feeling everyone was watching what I was eating. I eat healthier without thinking about it as much. As long as I keep logging I am not as tempted as I used to be. Could I fall back into bad habits? Absolutely. But coming here and sharing with others and hearing other people's journeys all help. You WILL do it. I have faith in you maybe because you remind me of me. Hang in there take it one day at a time and accept that you won't be perfect. But you will figure it out.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Thank you for your observations and comments....I was in a bad frame of mind a few weeks ago and I had a “ poor me,horrible binge day”....I got back on track and I am more motivated than ever to lose these extra pounds....i am taking it one hour at a time for now and getting on with what I need to be doing...the support from MFP friends is amazing....when I lost over 100 pounds years ago, I thought everyone that was thin never had a rotten day!....very naive’ but it is the mindset we get in our heads!....everyday is a challenge and another day to move forward....thanks again!