Leslie Sansone November 2019 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
The November Walk Challenge starts....in just a few days! So now, is the time to be thinking about our new individual monthly challenge goals!

Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player can be a great addition to walking outdoors in the crisp cool days of November. For those who are enjoying the wonderful cooler weather, walking or hiking outdoors might well continue to be a pleasant alternative to the DVDs. For those walkers who live where there is more rain, or perhaps snow, the DVDs are a tremendous help when it is impossible to get outside for a walk.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD workouts as well as Walking DVDs by other favorite instructors. Those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are might available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, and on the treadmill, All of these many options count toward our miles, steps or minutes. However you get your walk in, or however you like to keep track of it come on in and join us! Post your miles, minutes, or steps that you have walked, however you did it... it is all good! In fact it is much more than 'good', it is quite awesome and wonderful o:) .

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining this walk challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your personal goal for how many miles, minutes, or steps that you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. This is your own personal goal :star:. Post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you like. It is such an encouragement to read each others' posts.

If you find this challenge somewhere in the middle of the month, or even near the end, it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !
So, if you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in!

OK, tie up those walking shoes and get some water, and let's start walking 👣 !

It is always fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors or on the treadmill or anything in between. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes, or inquiring minds sometimes just want to know . So please share if you would want to :p .

Come on in, and let's start walking the Monthly Walk Challenge together. I know that I always write this each month, however, I am truly grateful for each one of our precious walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile, and step by step, each month.

I know that we are all excited to see our long time faithful walking friends o:) join us for yet another amazing month together, and we are awaiting the opportunity to welcome newcomers to this month's Walk Challenge!

So... lace up those walking shoes and get some water... and maybe a heavier jacket, as we begin to walk outside, or indoors, into November 2019! We have only two months left in this year 😲, so for the next two months lets really walk strong in order to end this year with increased strength 💪 and stamina 🏃‍♀️😅 .

Let us walk with thankful hearts <3 .

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Walking704
    Walking704 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group in Nov. I need to loose weight and moderation. Today i weigh 240.4. I used to weigh 305. That was my highest but i want to be 135 but my short goal for this month is to loose 20 pounds so that would put me at 220.4.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I am going out on a limb for November and I am not sure I will make it, but I am going to try!!!! I am going to do Firm 30 every Saturday and Wednesday :explode: (yes I know it is strength training and you all know I HATE it! But .....) and then 3-5 miles on the other days with Thursday continuing to be my rest day because I still have to teach my night class. I am going to be realistic about the milage because I know Firm 30 is going to make me stiff in the beginning. So, my goal will look like this:

Goal: Firm 30-Sat & Wed, 3-5miles other days or 85 miles for November.

@Walking704 -Welcome to the group!!! Walking with Leslie is a great way to burn off calories and build your fitness. I admire you for losing so much already. I started at 235 in 2012 and it was easy at first, but I know how hard you had to work to get those 65 pounds off!!!! Kudos to you. :drinker: 20 pounds a month is tough goal, but with Leslie by your side those pounds will be scared to death and leave for another more sedentary person!!! Join us and Walk Strong!!!!!

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on a goal of 50 miles for November. I had been walking 5 miles a day, but I got sick the beginning of October and haven't been able to get back to my full goal yet. I am still losing weight and doing good there, so I am not pushing myself too hard to get back where I was. Maybe I'm not supposed to walk 5 miles a day, maybe that was too much stress for my body and that's why I got sick for so long. IDK, but I am taking it fairly easy and being good to myself.
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @Walking704, Welcome!! What an awesome weight loss so far! I am so proud of you! I agree that 20 pounds a month is tough goal, but walking with Leslie will make a big difference in your endurance and certainly help with your weight loss goal. You can work on your strength also if you have some of those Leslie stretchy band walks. If you don't, check some of them out. That will help keep and build muscle while losing. Cheering you on!

@zichab, what an awesome plan... and a commitment to our dreaded strength training! But you can do it! Even if not perfectly it will all count and get you stronger!! You go girl.

@Americanbabydoll I'm sorry that you have been sick all last month. That is the pits for sure. Hugs 💖 🤗. I don't know why you have been feeling so poorly, but you just keep on taking care of yourself and listening to your body to know how much to walk this month and how much to rest. I really like how you said that you are being good to yourself. That is so good to hear!

I am going to be going to help my DDIL with my toddler aged granddaughter. My Daughter in Law is 9 months pregnant and I will be there until her mother comes in. I'm sure I'll get exercise running around with a little one! And hopefully some outside walking. They have hills! So my plan is to be active :laugh: . I will try to post and respond when I can.

:flowerforyou:

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I see you @zichab and I'll match your goal of 85 miles.
    Apple Watch Challenge: Burn at least 15,400 calories this month. Okie Dokie.
  • zichab
    Options

11/1-Walk Slim-Fast & Firm-4 Really Big Miles=4 miles total

LOL @Deeder522! 85 it is!!! Now we just have to DO IT!! I got out of work last night and there was a blizzard going on! I am guessing you got a lot more snow than we did, but it stuck and the ground was white this morning!!! Snow on Halloween :noway: ? It must be Michigan!!! :laugh: At least it was pretty.

I am going to try for it @texasgardnr! I am in grandma training and you know how that is as you are going to be chasing a toddler yourself this month!!! We have to be in shape to move fast! :blush:

• JoyStoltenburg
    JoyStoltenburg Posts: 327 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @Walking704 Welcome to the group. I know how hard it is to lose that weight. When I started putting my feet into action I was size 24 and weighed in at 290, This was Feb of 2018. Today I am at 190 and size 14. I love the way I am feeling and am back in the working world so have not got any Leslie walks in but am still making sure I get my walks in and keeping the weight off. I REFUSE TO GAIN IT BACK!!

@zichab @Americanbabydoll @texasgardnr @Deeder522 Oh my what goals! You ladies can do it!

My Goal for Nov. will be to continue my walking and workouts at work and make sure I am at 2 miles at least 6 days a week.

11/1 Workout #227 Cleaning property and vacated spaces. 1 hr 2.09 miles
  • texasgardnr
    edited November 2019
    Options
    While out of town I’ll be using YouTube for LS miles and also for any stretchy band videos for strength exercise that I can find. And when I can I will also walk outside. Love the hills here. When neither is feasible you know I’ll be super active helping and running around with my granddaughter 🌸.

November 1st: more than 2 hours airport walking, not counting all of the time I chose to stand and not sit when leaving the boarding area to walk was not possible

November 2: YouTube: One hour of 1 1/2 miles walking, and also segments of strength using any exercise band exercises that I could find on YouTube. I brought my gloves and stretchy band with me.

:flowerforyou:
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    My Goal for Nov. will be to continue my walking and workouts at work and make sure I am at 2 miles at least 6 days a week.

11/2 Workout #228 Walking property and cleaning. 1 hr. Pulling peppers and uprooting plants. (No more garden) 1 hr. Cooking and clean up and laundry another 1.5 hrs. burned 1,728 calories doing 210 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Sports" 2.5 miles
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends! I have decided to lower my goals this month. My feet hurt all the time and I'm not allowing my muscles enough time for recovery when strength training. Plus we are now in the holiday season and I'm sure to be busy decorating lots of Christmas trees for various friends, family and at work. Does dragging trees around and climbing up and down ladders to decorate burn calories and count as strength training? :grin:

My mileage goal with Leslie for the month is 165. I'm going to keep up with strength, but only 5-6 days a week depending on the workouts. I also give myself permission to take those rest days from strength training!

Nov 1: 6 Miles ~ 3 Mile Walking for Weight Loss + 3 Mile Walk
    Nov 2: 7 Miles ~ 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk + 2 Miles Woman's Walk + Circuits 1&2 Tone Every Zone (upper & lower body strength)

13 out of 165 miles
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Walking704 wrote: »
    I would love to join this group in Nov. I need to loose weight and moderation. Today i weigh 240.4. I used to weigh 305. That was my highest but i want to be 135 but my short goal for this month is to loose 20 pounds so that would put me at 220.4.

Glad you are joining us. Sounds like you are doing great with your weight loss. Adding exercise to your plan is a great idea.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    I'm too am cutting back on my workouts for this month. I'm going for 2 strength workouts a week and 5 miles a week. DH and I have plans for working in our yard, planting trees and shrubs. I know I'll get a lot of mileage with that. Not nearly as much fun as walking with Leslie, but has to be done. And of course the holidays are coming up and that really creates a time crunch, as we all know.

Goal: 2 Strength workouts a week, 5 miles week.

11/1.....2 miles of the 4 Mile Super Challenge
    11/2.....30 minutes of Cathe Friedrich low weights, high reps workout

Walk Happy!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    @Americanbabydoll - No need to amp things up when recovering. You will know when you are ready for more. Glad you are feeling better.

@zichab -
    October 30, 2019 6:02AM Flag Quote · Insightful 3Inspiring 1Like Hug Disagree
    I am going out on a limb for November and I am not sure I will make it, but I am going to try!!!! I am going to do Firm 30 every Saturday and Wednesday (yes I know it is strength training and you all know I HATE it! But .....) and then 3-5 miles on the other days with Thursday continuing to be my rest day because I still have to teach my night class. I am going to be realistic about the mileage because I know Firm 30 is going to make me stiff in the beginning. So, my goal will look like this:

After your amazing October, I'd say you will be able to crush your November goal with ease. :)

@Deeder522 - I see you @zichab and I'll match your goal of 85 miles.
    Apple Watch Challenge: Burn at least 15,400 calories this month. Okie Dokie.

You go Girl!

@texasgardnr - Good plan! Chasing that Grandbaby will really help with the mileage. And you can get in some strength training while she naps.

@knjstolt - You can do it.

@VeggieGirlforLife - Hi Friends! I have decided to lower my goals this month. My feet hurt all the time and I'm not allowing my muscles enough time for recovery when strength training. Plus we are now in the holiday season and I'm sure to be busy decorating lots of Christmas trees for various friends, family and at work. Does dragging trees around and climbing up and down ladders to decorate burn calories and count as strength training?

Good idea to add some rest/recovery days in there. I say a big YES to dragging trees around and climbing ladders creates a big burn and Arnold Swazennagar type muscles. Well, maybe not the Arnold thing. ;) I do think if it's not in the MFP system yet, you should create an exercise called The Indoor Lumberjack. :D

• zichab
    Options

11/1-Walk Slim-Fast & Firm-4 Really Big Miles=4 miles total
    -Vivofit tracked 3.0 miles=7 miles total
    11/2-Vivofit tracked 5.0 miles=12 miles total
    11/3-WAP-4 Mile Super Challenge=4 miles=16 miles total

Ok, now those of you who see my goals will notice there is no Firm 30 posted for Saturday. I have a reason ... no excuses :noway: but a reason! My DH is in NY with a contractor working on an addition to our house there. Here we have 4 maple trees and an oak tree and at this time of the year, I am sure you all know what they are doing. Well he was fretting about his lawn and it was not snowing, sleeting, hailing or raining in MI for once, so I went out and raked the leaves for 3 1/2 hours on Saturday. I came in before finishing all of the lawn to do Firm 30, but the body was simply not willing! :explode: My goodness why did he take that leaf blower with him!!! I think I got plenty of strength training because every muscle in my body was stiff! :grumble: We'll see how it goes tomorrow as I might have to finish the leaves and cut the grass. :blush:

@texasgardnr- There are 2 videos on Leslie's channel that use the firm band and I use them when I am in Netherlands because it rains there a lot and I cannot walk the canal: iWalk Strong and 3 Mile Walk and Firm. If you have time for them, they do a pretty good job in a pinch, although in my experience, not as good chasing a toddler! :wink:

@AnnofB- I am not sure about crushing November, but we will not have leaves in the yard! :laugh:

Calling @Deeder522 -are you buried in the snow??? :smiley:

• JoyStoltenburg
    edited November 2019
    Options
    n8muuz371am9.jpg

11/2 Workout #228 Walking property and cleaning. 1 hr. Pulling peppers and uprooting plants. (No more garden) 1 hr. Cooking and clean up and laundry another 1.5 hrs. burned 1,728 calories doing 210 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Sports" 2.5 miles
    11/3 Workout #229 2 hrs picking up branches & throwing them over a 6' fence into the compost. 2 hrs preparing 3 lbs of peppers for the freezer. 3.09 miles today and sore back and legs.
  • JoyStoltenburg
    edited November 2019
    Options
    5d0516fe1ucg.jpg
    2.84 lbs Ghost Chilis
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: »

Good idea to add some rest/recovery days in there. I say a big YES to dragging trees around and climbing ladders creates a big burn and Arnold Swazennagar type muscles. Well, maybe not the Arnold thing. ;) I do think if it's not in the MFP system yet, you should create an exercise called The Indoor Lumberjack. :D

I agree @AnnofB! The Indoor Lumberjack should be a nice burn! And I am learning that rest/recovery days are important. It's VERY hard for me to not workout. I am afraid that missing one day could throw me backward into not getting those workouts in. It's so easy to start making excuses and I'm determined to keep moving! But it's not worth risking injury - I've learned that the hard way! :ohwell:
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Nov 1: 6 Miles ~ 3 Mile Walking for Weight Loss + 3 Mile Walk
    Nov 2: 7 Miles ~ 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk + 2 Miles Woman's Walk + Circuits 1&2 Tone Every Zone (upper & lower body strength)
    Nov 3: 7 Miles ~ 5 Boosted Miles + 2 Mile AM Walk + 40 min HASfit dumbbell HIIT full body strength

20 out of 165 miles
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Goal 50 miles

1 1.49
    2 1.88
    3 .81

4.18 miles out of 50 miles
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    zichab wrote: »
    Calling @Deeder522 -are you buried in the snow??? :smiley:

Still here @Zichab and with no snow. We had some sleet and hail but nothing stuck. Just cold windy wetness. lol
    Our Keurig is already starting to get its workout and we don't drink coffee. We use it for on demand hot water for tea and hot cocoa.

Sunday, I tired to mow the yard to mulch away the leaves. 51 minutes later I had about ¼ yard done. So many leaves and my little legs just can't go that fast but at least some of it was done. If the weather wants to play nice, I may be able to get the rest done yet this year. Still, 51 minutes of walking for that day still counts for my monthly total.