WAISTAWAYS DECEMBER CHAT

Options

Replies

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Steph1498 wrote: »
    I need some help from anyone who loves to use the elliptical machines at the gym. Why do my toes goes numb after 5 minutes? Are there any tricks to prevent this?

@Steph1498 The same thing happens to me, so thanks for asking the question. Great responses so far. I will readjust my weight toward the heel. @jugar I think I may have a neuroma too. I asked an ortho when I was in for an ankle thing. I told him about the pain and numbness between the 3rd and 4th toe. He said that was probably what it was. It was super hard to walk on. But it has since resolved itself for now. Not sure what I did.

• micki48
    edited December 2019
    Options
    4wq3ttonv4sq.jpeg

Steppers - The results are in. Our steps were down considerably this week. Lots of empty boxes from missing steps. Our total is still impressive, but more than 100,000 less than last week.

We walked a total of 409,949 steps or 179 miles (288km).

And our winners are:

1st - @Steph1498 with almost 100,000 steps!!!!👏🏼👏🏼🎉🎉🎉
    2nd - @jugar
    3rd - @offitgoes

There were less than 100 steps difference between @jugar and @offitgoes

Well done steppers!!! Now let’s hear from everybody this week and see if we can get those steps back up.

Have a great stepping week. How can you add some steps to your day? Share your ideas for everyone.

•I will park way out in parking lots.
    •Make sure I get 250 steps per hour.
    •Walk around my house to get to my 8k goal, if not met by 9pm.
    •Beat my total steps from last week.
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Steph1498 wrote: »
    I need some help...Why do my toes go numb after 5 minutes? Are there any tricks to prevent this?
    Hi Steph,
    I was advised to place the toes of my shoes so they touch the very front of the step. By doing that, your feet have a secure area and are less likely to slide while “pushing” off during use of the machine. The other ideas about supportive socks, looser laces, etc. make good sense, too.
    Good luck! I hope your tingling resolves soon.

• Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I will change my foot (and weight) placement and loosen my laces for my next workout. Really appreciate all the feedback!
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    About my steps, for the last 6 months we haven't had a car. SO I've been walking to the bus and train for school and groceries and everything - even to get to the gym. Thankfully public bus and train transportation is great here.
    But I am so excited because TODAY we are receiving our family car! I don't want my average steps to decrease but they obviously they will.... I am still committed to 10,000 steps/day.

Here's my tip to get steps in: have a little competition with yourself every day and try to get more in than the day before.
  • Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    @micki48 I really hope my steps Aren’t counting. 200 for Sunday. We went to church.

@steph1498 :congrats on the car.

Food is SO on track, it’s so nice to say that. Working today with 1/2 pain pill for breakfast, and try the other 1/2 at 3. And full dose for bed. Hoping this works well.

We got a scooter for me for the house. This is awesome! So much better than crutches .

• micki48
    Options
    @micki48 I really hope my steps Aren’t counting. 200 for Sunday. We went to church.

All steps count. No worries we all know what’s going on. That’s better than no steps. I’m glad your pain is more manageable today. Hope it gets easier with every day. And yes! Those scooters are amazing!!!!
  • micki48
    Options
    Happy Monday! It’s a beautiful day here. Got outside with my little granddaughter. She tromped through the 🍁🍁🍁. We walked, swung, picked up acorns. Inside, we painted, read, built towers with blocks, rocked and now she is sleeping 😴. Hope your day is going great. I’m kind of tired. 😃
  • micki48
    Options
    @Step1498 Hurray for getting your car. The steps are great, but a car sure does make getting your groceries easier. Did that when we lived in Center City Philadelphia. I’ve no doubt you’ll keep up 10,000 steps.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,115 Member
    Options
    Wow - Monday is flying by WAY too fast. I had one of those "squirrel brain" nights where the things I have been procrastinating or where I have become stuck came to pester me. I will be leaving on Friday to go down to spend Christmas with my mother in North Carolina (near Charlotte), so suddenly the panic hit.

I have made progress! I got a recording done and sent off to the person who is going to put together individual recordings into a kind of soundscape/sound creation in memory of the clarinetist in my ensemble who passed away a couple of months ago. The remaining five of us are recording separately, since we cannot get together right now due to living MUCH too far apart. In any case, now my part is sent off to our violist who will be playing with the gadgets to make something out of it all. Part of mine included a fake cowboy song played on a turkey baster - one of the things our crazy clarinetist and I used to do together from time to time. Baster duos induced a great deal of hilarity when it was most needed. You fill it up with water (holding it bulb down) until the tube is about a third full, blow across the top like a flute, and squeeze the water. It makes a slide whistle sound like a sedate and calm instrument. You have to be careful not to get water up your nose, though! The rest of what I recorded (on the actual flute!) was much more sedate and hopefully beautiful. I really miss that guy and it hasn't completely sunk in that we will not play together again.

I also worked on duplicating some recordings, which I HATE doing. Meh. It isn't done yet. Double meh. Then I filled the wood boxes, which is always quite a job. We heat only with wood, so we chuck a lot of it!

I hope you are all having a productive Monday! I am just going to try to squeeze in some exercise that actually feels good.

@Shexio - so good to picture you at home with your scooter, getting around without too much pain, and eating perfectly! It's almost the solstice which is a great time to settle in, get cozy, and rest through the long nights. Enjoy it and you'll be ready for the light to come back along with your recovery :smile:

@micki48 thanks for the steps update! And it is always great to hear about your days with the little peanut. She is one lucky kiddo. You take your nice solstice-y rest too!

@Steph1498 vroom vrrrrrooooom! Nice time to have wheels - chores without them can be rough!
  • jugar
    edited December 2019
    Options
    HEADS UP!
    Still some weigh-ins due from Sunday and Monday, but some involve some time on support team -

@kx7003 no sight of you this month -- hoping you'll be back! Putting you on support team for now.
    @Safari_Gal_ in Europe! moving to support team. Hope you're having a glorious time.
    @reflectionofme - hoping your recovery is going all right :worried: let us know if you're ok!

• jugar
    Options
    I strongly recommend this week's challenge - if you have a few minutes a day to reflect and write, I am finding the daily "assignments" worth the time. So often my general state and intentions never get clearly looked at or articulated. It is good to stop and do that. Thanks to Team Weight No More for this one. Hop on over
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10775620/week-3-group-challenge-20-for-2020#latest

Even if you only think and don't write it down, it is a good time to assess and plan.
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Username: reflectionofme
    Weigh in day: Monday

PW: 133.9
    CW: 124.4

Finally starting to feel like a human again. The edema in my legs is almost gone. My abdomen is still quite swollen but that is to be expected.

• jugar
    Options
    Username: reflectionofme
    Weigh in day: Monday

PW: 133.9
    CW: 124.4

Finally starting to feel like a human again. The edema in my legs is almost gone. My abdomen is still quite swollen but that is to be expected.

YOWZA! As my granddad used to say. That is some good sign about your recovery! Best news. Happy dance!
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,230 Member
    Options
    STEPS: sorry...
    12/13 - 12329
    12/14 - 16511
    12/15 - 10645
    12/16 - 11402
  • jugar
    Options
    STEPS: sorry...
    12/13 - 12329
    12/14 - 16511
    12/15 - 10645
    12/16 - 11402

You're back! No "sorries" needed here - in my ensemble, we have a rule. Saying "sorry" in rehearsal is the same as calling the rest of the group an (expletive deleted). We are all doing our best, we are trying new things, new ways of moving and eating, and it is hard - especially with family, work, home, crazy season. It is just fantastic you are here, where (hopefully!) the focus is on taking care of yourself. Even though it might feel like a pain in the neck obligation sometimes, you are here to try to change some habits that have taken you somewhere you are not altogether happy about. Your steps are worth celebrating! And you are here. I thank you for that, and you should too :blush: Thank yourself. Good.
  • micki48
    Options
    @fourathomej I have put your numbers on the spreadsheet. I second what @jugar said. That is absolutely right! We are all doing the best that we can do each day and this is a very busy time of year for many of us. Those steps are amazing so glad you got them in.

@jugar thank you for your always wise and insightful thoughts. So glad to have found this group last February and happy to take on the role of your co-captain now. I have learned so much about healthy eating over the last year and lost a bit of weight too. I've hit a few plateaus and gained and lost. But I'm here and I never gave up. That is a new accomplishment for me. Almost a whole year of checking in every day and logging my food. I'm pretty proud of that. I still have weight to lose, steps to increase, and need to work on incorporating regular workouts into my week. Time or being tired is always the excuse. So, moving on to 2020, that will be a goal for me to find the time and energy to get a workout in. I am moving more and I certainly get exercise watching a toddler all day, but it doesn't register as a workout on my Fitbit.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great week so far. Today, I got a pop up or notification from my Pilates group that reminded me to what I will now remind you all...

Relax your shoulders and your jaw. Breathe deeply a few times. And take 10 minutes for yourself today. Cheers!!
  • jugar
    Options
    It has been a quiet day today - even though there have been quite a few issues to work through! I don't know how many of you are aware of this, but the "owner" of this challenge, Greg (aka navydaddjtc) and the other leaders of the Fitness Warriors team will be leaving the F2F group at the end of the month. Some of the team members may also leave - they are a pretty tight team and I'm sure some will absolutely want to stay together. So while that team will certainly be seeing some changes, I do not think that we and the other teams will feel much difference going forward. The 3 remaining Moderators (including yours truly!) are working hard together to make sure that everyone ends up where they want to be, and it is a great moment to suggest any changes you would like to see to make this challenge more effective. We will miss Greg and his large-than-life all CAPS presence, but he and the others want to forge out on their own to try some new things.

So go ahead and think about what would make this challenge better! One of the co-captains of Team Trimstones, @mulecanter (Doug) suggested "remotely controlled shock collars operated by F2F Central Control to punish unauthorized snacking", but it was disapproved. All ideas will be considered!!!

A couple other suggestions have been a way to track habits (another spreadsheet section or separate spreadsheet everyone can use), a January all-hands-on-deck everyone lose 1 pound per week (.5 for those close to goal, and maintain for those maintaining :smile: ). Also we are considering changes in the weekly challenges. Do you find them helpful? Do you participate? Would full-month challenges (like the January 1 pound a week, for example) be better? Or is there another format that would keep the incentives and energy flowing?

OK, enough questions. Send some answers if you can! I know it is a crazy busy time, but your thoughts are really appreciated. I'll take note of them all!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It's that TOM and I'm starving. I just want to eat everything in sight. D:

But I just gotta hang in there I guess. :(
  • jugar
    Options
    HEADS UP for WEDNESDAY weigh-ins!
    @fourathomej
    @offitgoes
    @evelynladams527
    @Juliemargaretkim

Next Wednesday is Christmas! Everyone after you has to weigh in the days right after Christmas, so you can feel really awesome that you step on the scale in the morning before eating a bite!
    saufx9le9yfn.png
This discussion has been closed.