TEAM: Gutbusters (January)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• BB_1033
    BB_1033 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bb_1033
    January Week 1
    PW 161
    CW 165

Not surprised. Been battling some relationship related stress and depression. Considering I can't keep anything down the past two days or eat really I'm sure it'll go right back down anyways.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    BB_1033 wrote: »
    bb_1033
    January Week 1
    PW 161
    CW 165

Not surprised. Been battling some relationship related stress and depression. Considering I can't keep anything down the past two days or eat really I'm sure it'll go right back down anyways.

@BB_1033. The 165 will actually be starting weight for January.

You have had an amazing December weight wise. I hope that the relationship stress eases and normality can resume.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Just a quick intro. I am a 5'9" father to a beautiful teenage daughter and husband to an amazing wife of 29 years (30 in February).

I lost most of my weight from April 2017 to September 2017 (201 lbs to under 150 lbs). Technically I am in maintenance, but still doing some weight adjustments.

The past year has been quite stressful and I put on 10 lbs which I am slowly reducing. I still anticipate losing an average 2% in the month. As such I will stay in as a competitor.

I have A LOT of information on how to lose weight and keep it off. Even when I slid out by 10 lbs in over 6 months, I was still under 150 and in the normal BMI. I am happy to share with the team what I know.

I will post daily in this thread starting Wednesday.

Looking forward to a good January.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @BB_1033, sorry you're struggling right now. Hope things get better for you soon. :heart:
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to be starting with you guys. A little bit about me, I'm 44 and married to a police officer, I'm a mom to 4 kids, my oldest one just graduated with a Bachelors with a major in Kinesiology and a minor in sport psychology. (he's going to be setting me up with a plan that will help me, he doesn't know it yet, but he's going to :D ) and my youngest is in 3rd grade. I have two awesome kids in the middle that are adults as well. So I started all over in life with my little guy.

I am an LPN and in my third semester of our RN program. This is where my current weight gain has really spiked. I used food as a crutch and I can't do that anymore. I've also used food for depression as well. I need to get myself into better shape. I want to live to see all of my kids grow in their journey called life.

I have struggled with Depression and Anxiety and I have found that exercise makes me feel better. I've just had to make myself do it.

I am thankful to have came across this challenge and I look forward to being on this team!
  • SillyCat1975
    Options
    @BB_1033, I'm sorry that you are struggling too, I've had a hard time here lately. I want you to know that you aren't alone and that if you need someone to talk to then I'm here. I hope you start feeling better soon. <3
  • SillyCat1975
    Options
    @craigo3154 , how does this work? So I see we weigh in on Sunday right? So right now my CW is 238.6 or it was on Sat. So it says weekly weigh in. So we need to post results by the Sat? I have gotten myself confused when trying to look over things. Sometimes I need people to draw me a picture :smile: I think I seen you was in previous months challenges, so that's why I was asking.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    @craigo3154 , how does this work? So I see we weigh in on Sunday right? So right now my CW is 238.6 or it was on Sat. So it says weekly weigh in. So we need to post results by the Sat? I have gotten myself confused when trying to look over things. Sometimes I need people to draw me a picture :smile: I think I seen you was in previous months challenges, so that's why I was asking.

How TBL works.
    • Weeks run from Sunday to Saturday.
    • Everyone nominates their weigh in day.
    • First weigh in day for January 2020 is between Sun Dec 29 and Sun Jan 4 (this is done either through registration, or as last week of December TBL competion).
    • Each week on your nominated weigh-in day (or as close as you can), you post your current weigh-in information.
    • Results are calculated based on weigh-in you post (against all others who post)

If you miss two consecutive weigh-in's you are removed from the competition at the conclusion of that competition week.

@SillyCat1975. For your case: Assuming you want to keep Saturday weigh-in day.
    • Post your weight on Saturday Jan 4 to THIS thread.
    • The weight you post on Jan 4 will be your starting weight for January competition.
    • Post your weight on Saturday Jan 11 to THIS thread.
    • The weight you post on Jan 11 will be your week 1 weight for January competition.
    • Join in discussion in THIS thread throughout the month.

In fact I am one of the moderators for the challenge. I stepped away for a few months to deal with personal issues and returned to get myself back on track and help others.

• BonnieHosk85
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Welcome to the family, @sillycat1975!! Thanks for the intro!

My name is Bonnie and I am the captain of this fabulous team of Gutbusters! This is my 14th month with Gutbusters. I joined Gutbusters the day after I joined MFP! Our co-captain is @looneycatblue and I thank her for helping to keep Gutbusters the great team it is! And @craigo3154 is our coach and moderator and has a ton of wisdom and information for us to glean from.
    So what are your resolutions goals for 2020? My goal is to reach my ultimate goal of 100 pounds lost. I've lost 42 pounds since I joined MFP on 11/30/18 and hope to lose another 50-60 in 2020 to reach my goal weight by this day next year!!
    About the group: your weigh-in day is the day of the week you signed up to be in the challenge. We'll post a reminder each day for you. Be sure to click on the star above on the right to bookmark this page for January. This Sunday will be our first weigh-in for January.

Your weekly weigh-in post should look like this. I'll post a reminder for you on your weigh-in day:

Username
    January Week #
    PW:
    CW:

A successful month will also include checking in daily on our team's thread. We encourage you to post daily following the guidelines of another challenge called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). Very simple, but effective, in keeping us focused on our health goals. Please feel free to join that monthly challenge as well. @RangerRickL does a fantastic job there. I don’t think I’d be as far along on my journey if it wasn’t for TBL and UAC.

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Along with our daily check-ins, we also try to have mini-challenges weekly. Please feel free to contribute ideas for weekly challenges.

New and returning members ... please take a moment to introduce yourself! Feel free to share as much as you are comfortable. This is going to be a great month for us and a fantastic 2020!!

Happy New Year!
    Bonnie
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Welcome to our newest members ...

@Kaj848
    @awakenbeauty51
    @lacatgirl

Please feel free to introduce yourself! Welcome to the family! :heart:
  • kiadams317750
    kiadams317750 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kiadams317750

Welcome aboard all! I have only been part of the group since November myself but this challenge has been a great tool in the healthy living journey.

I started seriously trying to turn my health around October 2018 when I topped the scales at 400 pounds at 5’9”. I could barely walk anymore legs were in such bad shape. I am in the 260s now and have made a lot of major changes in how I am living my life. It has been hard but of course I feel so much better. My goal this year is to loose 100 more pounds. I am constantly looking for more healthy living education and tools to help my journey so I greatly appreciate all I get from this forum.

A little biographical info. I am 52, a social worker by profession working full time. My husband of 22 years is retired. Between us and together we raised 4 great boys to men.

I am determined with the new year to get back to everything I have learned so far and the new habits I am nurturing.

Again welcome aboard!
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Let's do it, @kiadams317750!! Thanks for the intro and so glad you continuing with GB!! :heart:

After a brief break @allietuge is back with the team!! So glad you're back!! :heart:

• craigo3154
    edited January 2020
    Options
    January 1
    Exercised?: Yes (5 km walk in 39 mins)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Early walk. Meet up with friends during day before quiet night home

For those not in December, let me explain this post.

Every day I attempt to follow the UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge) guidelines of:
    • 20 mins activity a day (Exercised)
    • Track everything I eat and drink (Tracked)
    • Stay within my defined calorie budget (Calories)

I try do this EVERY day.

This is how I stayed focused to lose 7.1 lbs in 5 weeks in December (4.77% of my bodyweight from the start of the month - started at 148.4 lbs and I am a 5'9" 51yo man). 4.77% may not seem like much over 5 weeks, but it is A LOT. Most will struggle to do 2% in a 4 week month.

With the UAC method, I have been in the normal BMI range for more than 2 years. It's not only how to lose weight, but maintain weight.

Over March to November last year I slipped out from 137.8 lbs to 148.4 lbs. Over this time I changed job after 13 years at one company, my daughter was diagnosed with serious mental illness (to the point of hospitalisation), my wife is struggling to cope with my daughters condition and I am suspected of having dysthymia depression. Only 10 lbs gain with all that going on is a testament to the UAC principles.

UAC and TBL I have taken as part of my depression therapy (ie. get involved in groups and interests). As such, last month I threw myself into TBL at full speed to try get back towards my optimum March weight. I never expected to get there in a month and was happy to do more than 2%. I expect it will take till at least March this year to get back to 137.8 (as the closer you get, the harder it gets).

I also weigh each day, but really only pay attention to the average of the last 7 days. Weight fluctuates a lot on a daily basis, only by tracking an average do you get a good indication of real progress. This way, an odd individual reading (like having more salt than normal causing fluid retention) does not throw off the trend. My last week average was 143.2, today's average was 142.4

Hope this give people an insight into how I lose, maintain and track weight. Daily focus. Living the same food choices and habits in maintenance that I did when losing weight.

I am not on a diet, I had a change of lifestyle. The change needed to cope with social events, stress, travel, holidays, etc...

When I started MFP in March 2017, I was 195 lbs. January 2017, I was 201 lbs. I will NEVER go back to being that big ever again.

Unless you do something different to how you became overweight, you will always go back to being overweight.
  • allietuge
    allietuge Posts: 343 Member
    Options

After a brief break @allietuge is back with the team!! So glad you're back!! :heart:

I'm so glad to be back.
    I'm mentally ready to get back into it!
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    So glad you're back, @allietuge!! :heart:

@ekuassi, welcome to the team. Please take a moment to introduce yourself and let us know if you have any questions. Glad you're here!! :smile:
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,096 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone :) I am Megan
  • metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was in this team in the summer of 2018. I took a long break, and gained 20lbs. What should I do to join the January challenge? I've been posting about this everywhere I could think of, so, sorry about the cross posts.. and messages.

Thanks!
  • kaj848
    kaj848 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hiiii, I’m a first timer! About me: I’m a RN, married, and have three young children. My starting weight is 164.6 and my goal (my pregnancy weight...I have an almost 7month old) is 150.
    I’ve always been an active person and I enjoy sports, running, and working out, but in recent years it’s been so hard to find time for any of that! I’m busy with kids and life. Instead of losing this pregnancy weight, I seem to be gaining and I feel like I’m at a point where I could take the easy road and put on weight or I could work hard and get back to the healthy me. Obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc run in my family and I know keeping my weight in check and living healthy will help keep me from those in the future. I know I do better with a little accountability so here I am. Hopefully I can help encourage others on this journey too!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    metubal wrote: »
    Yay. I'm in!

Looking forward to losing with you:)

I'm 48, losing and gaining weight steadily in the last 11-12 years. More gain then loss, actually:( I went from 120 to 193lbs. In 2018, I was diagnosed with diabetes and fatty liver disease. In the same year, I lowered my A1C ( diabetes indicator) to almost-normal levels with nutrition and life style changes. But I gained 20 lbs in 2019, and I haven't checked my A1C in a year because I know it's not going to look pretty. I'm determined to control that scary diabetes starting today.

I'm a stay-home mom, a caregiver to my medically-complex 11-year-old son, a homeschooler, wife, and pet lover.

Let's lose!

@metubal. Interested to know more about your 2018. What changes did you do to get the A1C under control? Did you also lose weight during this time. (A1C control and weight management are mutually exclusive).

Keto or low carb diets are usually the ones that get A1C under control. Combine this with regular cardio exercise and A1C often falls. Keto and low carb diets reduce the body's requirement for insulin (through reduced blood sugar) which raises insulin sensitivity which increases the body's capacity to deal with occasional blood sugar spikes).

You can still eat more calories than you burn on Keto or low carb. This can be due to ghrelin (hunger hormone) or cortisol (stress hormone) or reduced thyroid function (including iodine deficiency) or a number of other factors. If you eat more than you burn, you gain weight.

What changed in 2019?

Before doing any major diet/lifestyle changes, your doctor should be consulted to ensure that everything will be working well enough to cope with the extra demands that calorie deficiency will create. Get the A1C checked out (even though it may be bad news). Get thyroid, liver and kidney functions all checked out. Problems in any of these areas can seriously hurt your efforts.

Hopefully we can help make 2020 your year.
This discussion has been closed.