TEAM: Gutbusters (January)

Options

Replies

• SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for 20 mins ? Yes, my dogs thought I was crazy because I walked around my living room at a fast pace like a lunatic, then I went bowling for 2 hours. I've almost got my 10K steps in for the day. Should have it completed before midnight.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget? Yes!
    Track? Yes.
    AM I TIRED? Heck yes! I will be glad to hit the hay!

You are so funny, but I can totally relate... I do that at home too when I am close to my steps goal... my cats just watch. :D

I did that yesterday just to get 20 mins of exercise in :D I didn't know I was going to go bowling. But I figure if I can't get outside then I might as well do it indoors. :D
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    @SillyCat1975 I should have done that too... but I was very lazy yesterday.

• looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I think I am ready to bite the bullet and buy a food scale, I have just been eyeballing so far.
    I have never purchased one before, does anyone have any recommendations? :)
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think I am ready to bite the bullet and buy a food scale, I have just been eyeballing so far.
    I have never purchased one before, does anyone have any recommendations? :)

Not really a recommendation but make sure your scale is large enough to hold a plate and that you can then reach the buttons. Mine is a little small where my plate covers the buttons.
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    January 5
    Exercised?: Yes (6 km walk in 46 mins)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Cooler weather today. Can walk faster when it's not as warm.

Raining when I got up this morning, so no flying today.

To all Gutbusters. I have put together a list of "activities" that can be used to assist in achieving weight goals. These are all principals that I follow and things I do on a daily/weekly basis. These activities help keep my mind and body in order. These can be taken as a mini-challenge and I will post one a day.

The first mini-challenge is to commit to weigh every day at the same time (ideally in the morning before eating anything).

The ONLY figures to take note of is the 7 day average. Which means you need 7 successive weighs to get any meaningful value.

Why weigh every day?

I would live to try this but seeing the numbers go up and down during the week will drive me crazy. How do you get through the days that the scale jumps up when you know you haven't eaten poorly?
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    January 5

The first mini-challenge is to commit to weigh every day at the same time (ideally in the morning before eating anything).

The ONLY figures to take note of is the 7 day average. Which means you need 7 successive weighs to get any meaningful value.

Why weigh every day?

I would live to try this but seeing the numbers go up and down during the week will drive me crazy. How do you get through the days that the scale jumps up when you know you haven't eaten poorly?

qy0o6mntfndb.jpg

@matthewsfive. Recognise some truths (and mentally some of this months exercises are to work on this):
    1. Your weight is not a measure of personal worth.
    2. Water weight goes up and down A LOT and has a significant impact on the number the scale shows.
    3. The AVERAGE of 7 days is the ONLY important number.

Expanding on the last daily weight fluctuations. These are my last 5 days weigh in numbers: 140.4, 141.3, 139.7, 139.7, 140.8. I have been keeping to my plan the entire 5 days. Why is there 1.5 lbs difference between the two highlighted days.

Water.

Your bodyweight (excluding clothing) will vary by up to 5 lbs each day on a normal day. MOST of this fluctuation is water.

By pure coincidence, I was curious yesterday so I weighed myself before going to bed (must have known this question was coming). Between when I went to bed last night and when I weighed myself this morning there was 1.5 pound difference (You lose a lot of water overnight through exhalation, perspiration and urination).

Measuring bodyweight is like trying to measure the level of fluid in a water tank on the back of a truck while its driving down a winding dirt road. It goes up and down A LOT. Only by taking a lot of measurements and averaging do you get a true value.

I weigh, pick up phone, put number displayed by the scale into the MFP app on my phone, switch to MFP food tracking screen and close phone. I then pay no more attention to the number until I need to use it again later. As I do this EVERY day, no one number really sticks as it is part of habit and I have done it hundreds of times. It took a while to form this physical and mental habit.

It's like trying to remember what you had for lunch a week ago last Thursday without looking at tracking. Unless you have an identical lunch each day, or some notable other event occurred, most people cannot recall.

Getting into the mental side:

Irrespective of whether you are 100 lbs heavier than you want, or at your ideal weight, you will still be the same person. You are still valuable to your family and friends. You will still feel the same way towards yourself. You will still have the same personality.

The ONLY thing that really changes as you change size is your ABILITY to do things.

Reaching goal weight is an achievement, and one to be proud of, but it is the START of an ongoing process that will continue for the rest of your life. It is the first waypoint of a long journey.

The MEDIA portrays it "sexy" and "glamorous", but they are SELLING. The media lies to try get you to buy. (I can say this because as a man who has had a visible 6 pack for over 2 years it has not made the opposite gender more interested in me one bit :) - I have also been happily married to the same lovely lady for 29 years, so to be honest I am not looking for such attention anyway).

It is true you can DO more when ideal weight, size and fitness. You will live longer. You get less aches and pains. Climbing stairs is not a chore. Your chances for a better quality of life is much better. But all this will not make you an overall happier person.
  • FatimaStartsAllOver
    FatimaStartsAllOver Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    super proud of all you Gutbusters.
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Keepingtrack1234 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    metubal wrote: »
    I'm not losing weight but I feel good. I did another dog walk yesterday. Didn't snack. Sleep is 6hr and some minutes, need to work on that.

I feel like that's always the first thing...you just start to FEEL better...the weight loss is really secondary to that; your mental health is where it's at! CONGRATS!!! Keep it up!
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Keepingtrack1234 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    allietuge wrote: »
    Some progress
    q9dtegn46pl8.jpg

YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! WOW!!! Keep it up and congratulations on your progress!!
  • AugustHorizons
    AugustHorizons Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    ~ 6th of January ~
    Exercised?: yes - around 45 mins walking
    Within calories?: yes
    Everything tracked?: yes

Had a long 9 hours of travel today as I went back to uni after the holiday break so I didn’t get as much exercise done as I wanted and didn’t eat as healthily as I should have. Tomorrow will be a lot better though for sure :)
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. I'm still training for a half marathon, so I do some running most days and I love it. I need to find something upper body I can stick to or I'm going to be out of balance.

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes. Pretty easy now that all of the Christmas cookies are gone until next season. I will miss them. :(

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Exercised?: Yes 32 swimming laps. I am going to try to increase by one minute per day till I reach 45.
  • allietuge
    allietuge Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    @Keepingtrack1234 Thank you so much!!! I need to take more pictures and not focus so much on the scale!!

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes - 40 minutes on the treadmill with the hill setting

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    January 7
    Exercised? Yes. 20 mins treadmill 20 mins exercise bike
    Calories? Yes
    Tracked? Yes
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    January 7
    Exercised?: Yes (7 km walk in 55 mins)

Longer walk today than usual. Felt short changed yesterday as I was late and had friends over. Wanted (and needed) the extra time today.

The third mini-challenge is to Track all that you eat and drink.

Only if you truthfully know what you are consuming can you see where things can be changed and/or improved. You can find the "hidden calories".

Note this is not to stay in a self set budget or track super accurately (and weigh everything you eat/drink). Best estimates are fine. Even if you are going to go over budget, still record it.

The main objective is to get into the habit of collecting data.

Methods for improving it's accuracy can be worked on later. Just need you to track.
This discussion has been closed.