TEAM: Gutbusters (January)

Options

Replies

• SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Jan 8th! :smile:
    Exercised 20 mins? YES! 45 mins and I ran almost half of that (and it feels so good to run again) But I will def. feel it in my shins tomorrow.
    Tracked? Yes
    Calories? Yes :smile:

My next exercise goal is to actually go to a class at the gym. I'm looking into like a body pump or something like that, not sure if I've actually worked myself up to that level of intensity. I've also thought about water classes. Trying different things so I don't get burnt out on the same exercises as I have done before.
  • MayaVDM
    MayaVDM Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    January 8
    Exercise? Yes,40min spinning
    Calories? Yes, only +6gr carb extra
    Tracked? Yes, all bites and sips

This month is ours , GO Gutbusters !!!
  • allietuge
    allietuge Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes - 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes of strength training

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Question for the Gutbusters team. (conversation starter)

If you were to change one thing (and only one thing) to assist you with losing weight, what would it be?

Must be something simple within your power to change. Something you can do any (or every) day.

I'll post my answer in 2 days (and it's not tracking or exercise/activity :) ).

I'm interested to hear what other Gutbusters think. Note: there is no right or wrong answer.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,336 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »

If you were to change one thing (and only one thing) to assist you with losing weight, what would it be?

I think the one thing I would do is learn meditation. I know my mindset is not where it should be right now and I think that meditation would help me focus better.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    tuddy315 wrote: »

I think the one thing I would do is learn meditation. I know my mindset is not where it should be right now and I think that meditation would help me focus better.

@tuddy315. Great answer.

A lot think meditation is simple, but it is not. To meditate well takes a great deal of practice. It is WELL WORTH the practice. It helps in SO MANY areas of life, not just weight management.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    abigail659 wrote: »

Must be something simple within your power to change. Something you can do any (or every) day.

I'm interested to hear what other Gutbusters think. Note: there is no right or wrong answer.

I would get up earlier each day/become and early riser. I am not a morning person and snooze the alarm clock several times. I would like to become a morning person so I could get a workout in, get a balanced breakfast and start the day on a positive note vs rushing, with no time to plan breakfast or lunch.

@abigail659. Love the suggestion.

I resemble this comment. I too would like to get up earlier. Unfortunately this means I need to get to bed earlier (and this seldom happens).

I have days where I need to get up early so I can do it. But on those days I am still rushing.

Morning workouts are good too. I find I need to plan them the night before and not allow myself excuses to slack off. They do give a good start to the day (physically and mentally). Somehow, I am seldom disciplined enough to make this a habit (something I know I would benefit from changing).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    January 9
    Exercised?: Yes (3 km walk in 24 mins)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Short walk today as I was feeling poorly and there was a lot of smoke haze.

Plan to get up earlier tomorrow and walk as cool change with rain is expected early tomorrow afternoon.

The fifth mini-challenge is: Spend 1 minute focused on the topic of "all or nothing thinking"

This is similar to the mindful breathing exercise. Sit and calm your mind and focus on a single topic. Only for a minute.

The topic of "all or nothing thinking" comes from "Feeling Good" by David D Burns and is part of cognitive based therapy.

"All or nothing thinking" is a common thinking error when we look at things as either total success or abject failure. Like if you are trying to cut down on sugar and you have a candy bar, you go "well the diet is ruined, I am a failure" and you then go off to raid the cookie jar.

When have you been guilty of thinking a slip up is disaster. For example, food X is solely my problem, or if the scale does not show a loss in the morning, this diet is a failure.

There are no "black" or "white" situations. There is always a sliding scale. An error in one area is not a "disaster".

Take some time to think of situations in the last week that "all or nothing thinking" may have made you upset and then think of how the issue was not a "total" failure, what can be learned from it and what you did "right" in the circumstance.

There will be a number of these 1 minute mindful reflection topics throughout this month.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Today we’re looking for weigh-ins from:

@Colleen79
    @flourchild225
    @Jrichy599

Please post using this template:
    Username
    January Week 1
    PW:
    CW:
  • AugustHorizons
    AugustHorizons Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    abigail659 wrote: »

I would get up earlier each day/become and early riser. I am not a morning person and snooze the alarm clock several times. I would like to become a morning person so I could get a workout in, get a balanced breakfast and start the day on a positive note vs rushing, with no time to plan breakfast or lunch.

I think that this is what I’d change too! I find it really hard to get to sleep before around 2-3am most days so getting up extra early to get a workout in is difficult.
    I’m in my 5th year of uni so my staying up late studying habits are ingrained in me now but I’m definitely trying to work on it!
  • tuddy315
    Options
    Another thing I know would help with my weight loss would be to cut off all food after 7pm. It seems I come home from work and eat dinner about 6, but three nights a week I have to go back to work for about three hours. When I get home around 10pm I'm in a munchie mood so I usually end up eating some kind of snack. NOT A GOOD HABIT!!!
  • metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    January 8

Calories: under by 50ish cals again:)
    Tracked: yes
    Net carbs: 29, woohoo!
    Weight: 180.3
    Exercise: nothing:(
    Water: 6cups
    Snacking: after midnight:(
    Sleep: 8hr30mins

• metubal
    Options
    My biggest challenge is probably an early and consistent bedtime. I am used to going bed after 2-3, sometimes 4-5am. This leads to a) not enough sleep, b) unnecessary and untimely snacking, which are sure ways to gain weight;(

Yep, I would change my bedtime, if I could change one thing right now. I'm working on it, though.
  • metubal
    Options
    @craigo3154 I've been reading about the horrible fires. Are you close to them? Looks like everywhere is burning. It is all so sad. Big hugs.
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Answer to question:
    Portion control is one thing that I need to still work on.I am not eating between meals.Even eating a big bowl of salad (2-3 servings)also has a lot of calories.Earlier I used to think that within 1200 budget we can eat anything but later I came to know about macros.
  • tuddy315
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    Answer to question:
    Portion control is one thing that I need to still work on.I am not eating between meals.Even eating a big bowl of salad (2-3 servings)also has a lot of calories.Earlier I used to think that within 1200 budget we can eat anything but later I came to know about macros.

I'm confused on macros. I never really understood how they work.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    metubal wrote: »
    @craigo3154 I've been reading about the horrible fires. Are you close to them? Looks like everywhere is burning. It is all so sad. Big hugs.

Fortunately I am a fair distance from some of the major fires (like the distance between London and Paris), but we still get smoke haze from them if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Australia is a beautiful and large country. Fire is a constant Summer threat, but this year has been worse than most. There are areas that have burned that had never been burned out in living memory.

There have also been reported huge losses of life amongst the wildlife. Unfortunately there has also been loss of human life (including experienced fire fighters) which highlights how dangerous these fires can be.

The sheer scale is incomprehensible to a lot of people. The area burned so far this summer is 3 times the size of Wales, or in US terms the size of the entire state of West Virginia.

Places will grow back over time, but a lot is lost that will take decades to even semi-recover.

Lastly, the climate is definitely changing. This seems to be backed up by recorded observations. Last year was the hottest year on record (average temperature).
    Australian Bureau of Meteorology
    http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/acorn-sat/
    Climate trends
    The ACORN-SAT dataset reaffirms climate trends identified previously by the Bureau.

Data show that Australia has warmed by over one degree since 1910. The warming has occurred mostly since 1950.

The frequency of daily temperature extremes has also changed since 1910. The number of weather stations recording very warm night-time temperatures and the frequency with which these occur has increased since the mid-1970s. The rate of very hot daytime temperatures has been increasing since the 1990s.

The warming in the ACORN-SAT dataset is very similar to that shown in international analyses of Australian temperature data and very closely matches satellite data and warming of sea surface temperatures around Australia. This agreement provides added confidence for decision makers, and reinforces our understanding of the changing climate.

2h76fiwa5ewd.png

Also see the bureau's own tracker with historical data.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/#tabs=Tracker&tracker=timeseries
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @tuddy315 Our coach @craigo3154 can explain macros importance to us again and correct this.
    Only the idea is that counting calories is still important but if done with counting macros it helps more.Ratios of the macros that best work for us or we can stick with is to be determined. To lose weight high protein and low carb combination usually works;35% fat ,40%protein,25% carbs; i-e Carbs can be 50 -150 grams for the goal of losing weight.
    Proteins,carbohydrates give us satisfaction.Fiber is also important.Carbs with fiber (whole) make us full longer.
    We are counting calories less or not according to alloted macro ratios with respect to food we are eating i-e not estimating calories accurately (thus eating more)thus may be why we are not losing weight.We need to create deficit and weighing our food ( keeping macros in mind)can help us calculate calories more accurately.
This discussion has been closed.