MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLE Team Chat - March 2020

Options

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Wednesday check in

Sooooo - three days into my social distancing and I'm already tired of it! Show of hands...? Yeah, I think it's all of us and we have a few more weeks to go (I hope not extended beyond a few weeks!). Trying to settle into this new norm - working from home everyday (note to self - at least shower), sometimes somewhat distracted by the trepidation of the unknown. Hands all chaffed and chapped and unhappy, despite lotions and Aquaphore. Trying to not scratch my mouth/nose/eyes all the time so why in heavens name do they all itch at once IN PUBLIC??? ....

Benefits I Didn't Realize I'd Have From Weight Loss for 1,000.00, please Alex! :D:D:D

@raleighgirl09 -
    Yes, do shower daily! Bonus points if you then put on something besides pj's!
    Also
    -- Clean that phone! Regularly!
    -- Consider a decontamination protocol when you do go shopping. For me, at least, that's the most likely means of sharing/exposure.

At my house, we have been in self quarantine for a while because my husband got potentially exposed early on (at a conference, a space that was used by conference attendees was later found to be a space that was likely used during that same period by someone who went to the hospital and was then confirmed to have COVID-19 (was on that now-infamous Nile River cruise). We were already being cautious, and DH had gone armed with hand sanitizer and avoided shaking hands, but it was all too easy to think of ways that he could have been infected anyway. We are assuming that like other similar viruses, this one survives on hard surfaces for 12+ hours (tenfold drop after 10-12 hours, but that's not zero). There was no way to know he was clean, every reason to think we should be careful -- the whole family, since if he had it, we all likely did or would. Given what's at stake and given that we have friends and family that are high risk, we've been hunkering down (partying at home?) for a couple of weeks.

And now everyone we know is joining us in not getting together. And people have stopped with the "you're a little odd" reaction to our declining in-person social events (even with the explanation). One person reached out to invite me to a birthday party and seemed a little offput when I said no, explained why, and asked if I could call to say happy birthday. I was then delighted to have them come back and say that they wee going to do the entire thing virtually, and would I come. It was a great mini-party online, with lots of laughter.

On the plus side of all this, my husband is very willing to go out for walks with me in the evening, so we are getting in about an hour brisk-ish walk each evening, and the delighted greetings every time we meet someone are indeed so precious and delightful.

I, too, wonder about Slimpossibles folks that are quiet right now. I too am hoping people check back in when the dust settles for them. As you say, we'll be here when they are able to stop by and catch up. :heart:

Those of you that are checking in today --

Oh, and @raleighgirl09 - Your Jeopardy reference made me smile so hard! :lol:
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Good morning @leonadixon and @Katmary71 !

@Katmary71 - Thanks so much for the Enrique Iglesias Zumba video! I happen to really like Iglesias, so I hopped right out of my chair to try it. That footwork in the video. I will have to try this several times to see if I can learn it well enough to be less comically terrible! I just kept moving and figured any steps were good steps! :lol::lol::lol:

@leonadixon - Thank you so much for checking in. I was SO glad to 'hear' your voice! I am so glad you and your family are staying healthy!

Wednesday (Yesterday) Check-in
    Calories: under; all good, on-plan choices
    Exercise: outdoor date walk with husband (62 min); 25 min platform stepping* in the living room
    Water: on track
    Habit Tracking
    - Breathing Exercises (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    - Meditation (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    - M.A. Forms Practice (daily 2+ min) ❌
    - Exercise (6 x week/45+ min) ✔️
    - Food weighed/measured/on plan (daily) ✔️
    Goals
    - Grocery shopping ✔️
    - Project work ✔️

Goals and Improvements for Today (Thursday)
    Habit Tracking
    - Meditation (daily 2+ min)** ✔️
    - Breathing Exercises (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    - M.A. Forms Practice (daily 2+ min); trying placing this in the day -- right after lunch ✔️
    - Exercise (6 x week/45+ min)
    - Food weighed/measured/on plan (daily)
    Goals
    - Project work
    - Find an awesome fitness video I can share with KatMary71!

*Platform stepping note: Kind of like having podcasts/audiobooks I can only listen to at the gym, there are shows I only allow myself to do when platform stepping. Currently, for me, that's cooking shows -- Great British Baking Show (old episodes), Milk Street, America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country. What about you? What's your "comfort media" this week?

**Has anyone else tackled meditation during this time of strangeness and change? It is being a huge, mental and physical health resource for me. If you are interested, there's a free app called Plum Village that has some lovely meditations. My husband has become a huge fan of Headspace. In fact, here's a link to a list of mindfulness and meditation resources: https://www.mindfulnessbell.org/be-mindful-online
  • gwamajtw91
    gwamajtw91 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Sorry to have gone sinker but I have just returned from London & am now self-quarantined! Working from home & trying to catch up with everything...thankful for lovely neighbours who helped out by buying us a few essentials to come back to :)
    Weigh In:
    Thursday
    gwamajtw91
    PW: 168.0
    CW: 166.7

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hey @gwamatjw91 good luck with the quarantine and take care.

@AustinRuadhain glad the grocery shopping was a nice experience. I went today and just got annoyed lol. I think disinfecting our phones we should be doing all the time. It’s funny before this happened, like a couple months ago I was thinking I should get some Lysol and wipe down all my doorknobs and light switches. It’s all good practice all the time.

@raleighgirl yep tired of the social distancing. Not much more I can say. Had some rough moments this week, but I just keep going and then other moments are so bad. I also really rely on coming here and even though none of us have met it’s a nice connection.

@katmary71 I still haven’t gotten to that cardio workout. I forgot I had a couple of meetings today. Tomorrow! But I did get out for a jog today and that was nice. ….your recipes always sound so good! Do you find them online?

@leonadixon that ghost town feeling- it can be nice but a little eerie!

I did ok with my goals today:

-in the am, do Leslie Sansone for 5 mins just to warm up - Y
    -sit only 45 mins then up for 15-30 mins- Y
    -stretch or do mobility work each standing break - to the midway part of day
    -moisturize- 3/3
    -wash my face at night- Y
    -2x daily check in- N
    -wrist work to help arthritis- 2/2.
    -go out 3x a day- Today 3/3.

I find the mornings hard, like I wake up just completely depressed but once I get a few things do and do Leslie Sansone for 5 mins I usually feel a bit better.

My workload is light right now which is kind of hard. Not sure what I will do tomorrow except one cardio hour!

My trainer is actually trying to find a way for us to connect and do a session. I feel like we shouldn't but I don't think I can say no. Like we would meet outside somewhere. Is that terrible? I feel like it's terrible. But I'm not in self-quarantine or anything and neither is he
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,578 Member
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain I'm glad your husband seems to be okay, it's frightening to think of getting it even though for most of us we'd be fine. Glad the walks are going well and you're having bonding time with your family. LOL, I know I looked like a bumbling idiot doing that video but I still had fun, I'm like you, as long as I'm moving all's good! I did focus on arm and feet motions separately after awhile to get some of it down. I love that I'm not the only one who likes watching cooking shows even though it's usually stuff I'd never eat! I watch all the Food Network holiday competitions then wonder why I'm craving cake and cookies!

@gwamajw91 Wow, back from a trip and lost weight, that's impressive! How wonderful that your neighbors bought you items, I'd imagine that took a lot of pressure off.

@its_cleo I'm glad you were able to get out for a jog. I tried to send you a friend request and it didn't go through for some reason. I've been posting the workouts I'm doing on my feed, I've found some good routines from short dance ones to weights and cardio. I've had fun exploring but part of me misses my time reading on the bike too. I think doing the videos is helping me from getting depressed from all of this. Oh, with recipes, I look online and just checked out two skinnytaste cookbooks, I've bookmarked a LOT of recipes and wrote some down, it will depend on what I can get ingredient-wise and what I have at home. I have a Moosewood low fat cookbook that I love and just discovered Vegan Richa, a lot of her recipes look good and I loved her red lentil chili. The Persian split pea soup with barley was from the Moosewood cookbook, I didn't have potatoes but used sweet potatoes and it was still really good. When decluttering I went through a bunch of Cooking Light, Eating Well, Vegetarian Times, and Clean Eating magazines and ripped out pages of ones that sounded the best, I have a small stack now of ones I have the ingredients for on my table.

• Katmary71
    Options
    Thursday check-in
    Calories- under
    Exercise- You Tube videos, walking, yoga, planks and pushups
    Water- over

Habits
    Weights 3xs/body part- 2 down, 2 to go
    Cardio 30 minutes- done
    Strength/Yoga- done
    Decluttering/cleaning- spent that time gardening instead, have two flats of tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs started and on the indoor seed table
    10,000 steps- got it at the beginning of my workout, I'm about 25,000 now

It's stupid but I'm super anxious about grocery shopping tomorrow! I'm going to go early and take ice packs to two stores but am still worried about getting what I need. It's not like the world will end if I can't get something on my list, I think I'm so used to eating the same and similar stuff that it's throwing me off imagining not being able to find things I depend on to stay healthy. One of the farmer's markets will be open Saturday too so that's a backup plan, it's probably less germy than the store though I'll still take Clorox wipes everywhere with me and throw my clothes in the laundry when I get home then wipe everything down. Figures I decluttered my face masks from when I had an asthma attack a few years ago! Have as good as a day possible everyone!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    Username:TeresaW1020
    Weigh in week:  Week 3
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 210.0
    Todays Weight: 209.7
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited March 2020
    Options
    its_cleo wrote: »
    Hey @gwamatjw91 good luck with the quarantine and take care.

@AustinRuadhain glad the grocery shopping was a nice experience. I went today and just got annoyed lol. I think disinfecting our phones we should be doing all the time. It’s funny before this happened, like a couple months ago I was thinking I should get some Lysol and wipe down all my doorknobs and light switches. It’s all good practice all the time.

@raleighgirl yep tired of the social distancing. Not much more I can say. Had some rough moments this week, but I just keep going and then other moments are so bad. I also really rely on coming here and even though none of us have met it’s a nice connection.

@katmary71 I still haven’t gotten to that cardio workout. I forgot I had a couple of meetings today. Tomorrow! But I did get out for a jog today and that was nice. ….your recipes always sound so good! Do you find them online?

@leonadixon that ghost town feeling- it can be nice but a little eerie!

I did ok with my goals today:

-in the am, do Leslie Sansone for 5 mins just to warm up - Y
    -sit only 45 mins then up for 15-30 mins- Y
    -stretch or do mobility work each standing break - to the midway part of day
    -moisturize- 3/3
    -wash my face at night- Y
    -2x daily check in- N
    -wrist work to help arthritis- 2/2.
    -go out 3x a day- Today 3/3.

I find the mornings hard, like I wake up just completely depressed but once I get a few things do and do Leslie Sansone for 5 mins I usually feel a bit better.

My workload is light right now which is kind of hard. Not sure what I will do tomorrow except one cardio hour!

My trainer is actually trying to find a way for us to connect and do a session. I feel like we shouldn't but I don't think I can say no. Like we would meet outside somewhere. Is that terrible? I feel like it's terrible. But I'm not in self-quarantine or anything and neither is he

Hey, Cleo!
    I am so glad you are doing so well with your goals! And a big yes to the value of even 5 minutes of Leslie Sansone or something like that in the morning! For me, it has been morning meditation. Same idea, I think -- we are both taking action to make our brains chemically happier!

About meeting with your trainer -- it sounds (and I may be misunderstanding!) as if you are reluctant. If it were me, I would manage it very, very carefully, or simply decline. If I met with them, I would maintain the 6 foot social distance. Gloves for any equipment.

Are they infected and shedding virus without knowing it? Or did they touch someone who is? I know we we will likely all get this, or get a vaccine once one is available. But right now, we are trying these extraordinary measures to try to keep the number of critically ill closer to the number of hospital beds we have to manage those situations. And so we do our best.

Here is some guidance from a public health expert at Harvard:
    "3. Take care of yourself and your family, but maintain social distance.
    Exercise, take walks/runs outside, and stay connected through phone, video, and other social media. But when you go outside, do your best to maintain at least six feet between you and non-family members."
    Full Document: Social Distancing: This is Not a Snow Day

So, hmmmm -- maybe you and your trainer could connect via Zoom or something similar? My son;s drum lesson will be via Zoom on Monday.

Whatever you end up doing, thanks for checking in and sharing about what's up! I am super glad you are all here, my virtual fitness friends!
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    @Katmary71, I have to go out to the store today too and I agree that it’s unsettling. We just need to be extra careful and try not to overly freak out. Easier said than done, huh? :/

@its_cleo, what did you decide to do about meeting your trainer? Getting outside sounds like a good idea. :)

@gwamajtw91, glad you are home and being safe! Yayyy for great neighbors! :)

@AustinRuadhain, you know I love me some Great British Baking Show!! Other “comfort” shows are any kind of veterinary/animal zoo shows. I don’t know why DH and I love them so much, but we do! I love that you went to a virtual birthday party! Keep safe, my friend!! <3

@Raleighgirl09, your words on giving grace to those around you and to yourself is so profound. If we ever needed to show grace and kindness, it’s now. [i]Raises hand [/i]that I am tired of being so aware of staying safe. The other day when I was in the produce section of the store I licked my fingertips to open the plastic bag to put my green peppers in. I froze in horror!! :o For a moment, I seriously considered squirting hand sanitizer onto my tongue. :#

Good morning team!! <3 Sorry that I didn’t check in yesterday. I was in a staff meeting at the church for most of the day and then came home to make dinner and veg out in front of the TV. The staff decided to utilize our FB page more as a way to stay connected to our people. We had Pastor make a video that took wayyyyy longer than it needed to because he seriously can’t do videos!! :s My town is on a 24/7 lock-down for the rest of the month and we are told to not go anywhere. My 77-year old mother has a hair appointment today that she insists on going to. Both of my seniors (DH and mom) are giving me more grey hair! We had an Amazon order come in last night and I all but screamed at DH not to touch the box! It’s a good thing that I am working from home because keeping these two safe is a full-time job. :/

• davors19
    davors19 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Username: davors19
    Weigh-in week: Week 3
    Weigh-in day: Fri
    Previous Weight: 285
    Todays Weight: 281
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sunshineplace
    Week 3
    PW 156.4
    CW 157.2

Sorry for the late post
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I just came on quick to post my weight. I haven’t had a chance to read posts. I hope everyone is staying safe.

It has been an extremely stressful week for me. All licensed daycares were mandated to close but those of us who are private home daycare have been told we can choose because our regional public health thinks the risk is low in our area and someone still needs to watch the children of essential workers. I have three parents who are essential workers and so far I am open but struggling big time with this decision.

Then there is the extra precautionary measures I am taking to help keep everyone safe including my own family so my already long days are now even longer. So you may not be hearing from me for awhile I’m sure. You are all in my thoughts during this unprecedented time. ❤️❤️❤️
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm feeling way better today and working on getting my 10K steps. I gotta pause on being outside bc I live in the mid Atlantic and tree pollen just started. It's EVERYWHERE :D

Between my allergies and asthma, I'll just in, thanks. And helps with just staying home in general bc social distancing. There's no staying home from work however; I'm a 911 dispatcher. Luckily there's only 2 of us and we're far enough apart; although my officers aren't allowed in to see us unless it's business related which makes our 12 hours shifts drag more than usual.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @davors19 Wow, great loss!

@sunshineplace Take care of yourself, it sounds like you're under a lot of stress right now. Prayers everything goes well.

@bethanie0825 Allergies are crazy right now! Ouch, you're definitely needed with your work right now. Take good care!

• Katmary71
    Options
    Friday check-in
    Calories- under
    Exercise- You Tube videos, yoga, planks (been beating my record pretty fast at planks, it's awesome!), walking
    Water- over, finishing my last cup of tea right now

Habits
    Weights 3xs legs/arms (stomach daily)- arms done, one more leg day
    Cardio 30 minutes- done
    Strength/yoga- done
    Decluttering/cleaning- hm, not really, just lots of dishes. Planted some more heirloom tomato seeds, there's about 100 total from yesterday and today of everything, hopefully I get four tomato plants out of all this, they're 10 year old seeds.
    Recipe- I tried two different ones tonight, neither that complicated. The brussel sprouts were horrible, I smothered them in mustard so I could eat them and will have to figure out how to make them edible for tomorrow. I made Sweet N' Spicy SIracha-Glazed Salmon by skinnytaste's first cookbook and it was SO good, I knew I should've made more than one fillet! Again the sweetener burned the first minute of five minutes of cooking and set off the fire alarms. My honey is from my cousin's beehives and is super thick so it was tough to marinate. Anyhow, there goes another pan that's damaged from cutting back on oils.

I barely slept because I was nervous to go shopping and it wasn't a big deal at all. The stores were a bit more crowded than usual. The expected stuff was gone, what I didn't think would be a problem was the bins of spring greens/baby lettuce mix I buy! I found a couple of power greens at one store so I grabbed two. No bags of spinach, Swiss Chard, or kale for a soup I was going to make and I don't buy them but all the packaged bags of lettuce were gone. Sprouts didn't have any yogurt under $8, Raley's was better but I had to go with a different brand. I bought more than normal getting what I could of extra pantry stuff and hit a bulk bin clearance sale so I'm trying some new stuff. I noticed an Indian store on the way home I decided to peek in, talk about a TON of rice and grains, and a whole aisle of beans/legumes. I can't pass up new beans (stupid) so I bought some, there was a lot of interesting stuff but I don't know much about Indian food except a lot of coconut milk and cilantro is used and I can't stand the first and the other tastes like soap to me. I've made exactly one Indian recipe so far but am excited to check out more black chickpea recipes! Obviously I'm going stir-crazy in the house by myself (and kitties)!
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @Katmary71 ah I tried the Moosewood cookbook once from the library. Yeah it had some good stuff. I'm just bored of figuring out what to eat. Glad you survived the grocery trip. I took an Indian cooking class a while ago and enjoyed it. All the recipes they gave us were on paper though. No coconut milk- Indian recipes really vary depending on the region. ...I tried one of the Les Mills videos. I just can't do it. I find them too fast and complicated....that's one reason I never liked classes. I can't keep up or I'm uncoordinated. However---I will try another one today from a different company. Yeah now is the time to explore! I'm trying to think of it like an adventure, getting out of my routine

@TeresaW1020 good loss! My weight has increased lol. I've made my peace with it. I'm eating reasonably well but there is no way I can be as active as I was before so. I'm just doing my best. ...trainer not sure yet.....with your husband and mother-in-law- are they familiar with how it spreads and the safety measures?

@AustinRuadhain yeah I have mixed feelings about my trainer. He is also married to a family physician. So I don't know. I know he means well but tbh I'm hoping it doesn't work out. I'm also kind of surprised his employer gave him the go ahead because he is not doing this independently, he works for a gym. we'll see how it turns out.

@sunshineplace I think you are in Ontario....Toronto is just making plans now to have child care open for essential workers. I don't know if knowing that helps, but it is needed. If you have been told you can choose by your public health that's good. I would look to them for guidance.

@bethanie0825 wow a 911 dispatcher! That must be stressful.

Goals yesterday were so so. One of my goals is to limit social media/news etc. did poorly on that yesterday. Scared myself by the end of the night. Didn't sleep well.

So! Will try more today. I'm going to go do my stair/hill climbing routine today which is outside. I should be able to avoid people, mostly. I'm a little worried about the stairs bc they are popular and passing people on them would be closer than 6 feet. We'll see.

Other than that some housework and making some cream of potato soup with leeks.
  • mlhopp93
    mlhopp93 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Username: mlhopp93
    Week: 3
    Weigh-in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 338.2
    Todays Weight: 336.4
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    @mlhopp93, great weight loss!! Keep it up! B)

@its_cleo, yes my DH and mom know all about the safety measures. My DH was already overly cautious when the flu season began so we already had a lot of hand sanitizer. I agree that we can get too much news and even for me there needs to be a limit. I watch a lot during the day but right after dinner the news goes off and we watch something light and fun. :)

@Katmary71, that salmon recipe sounds yummy and I will have to go look it up! Whenever I bake something that has sugar in it or might stick to the pan, I use that non-stick foil. It works great and will save your pans. ;) Hey, what a good idea to go into the Indian store and see what they had to offer so you can experiment with new recipes.

@bethanie0825, we have tree pollen everywhere too in Georgia. I went out to the store yesterday and my eyes were burning just from walking to and from my car. Your job is so important, and I hope people aren’t calling with stupid stuff like they ran out of TP. I read where people were actually doing that! :grimace:

@sunshineplace, I did in-home childcare for almost 20 years so I understand exactly how hard and stressful your job is! I also understand about having to decide when to continue watching kids even when it could put your family at risk. You stay safe and we will be here for you whenever you can come on. <3

@davors19, what a great weigh in!! Keep it up! B)

@AustinRuadhain, this is for you! <3B):D

a9iqy5n9umu8.jpg

Good morning team! It’s a beautiful pollen-filled spring day here in Georgia and while I can’t go out and about, I do plan on spending some time in the backyard with my little Maggie Mae. She has learned that chasing a ball is super fun. I’m doing my best to stay on my WW plan and not overeat from stress and boredom. Fortunately, my calves are better, so I resumed my working out yesterday, which felt great. Stay safe!! :)
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Digger61
    Sat
    March week 3
    PW 209
    CW 208
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Thursday weigh in week 3 (19Mar2020) {following up my early weigh-in last week with a late one this week - doh!}
    Previous weight: 181.2
    Current weight: 181.4

Oh dear - latelateLATE!! Can't believe I spaced that off and also realized I had not checked in for a few days, either! A bit sad that I had this blip up when I weighed on Thursday but the facts are the facts. This fluctuation has sorted itself out and, anyway - good reminder not to let the scale be a trigger for emotion. Just no use in that because it is just a number and only one of many tools I use to gauge my progress.

I'll truly check in later and chime in on some really good conversations I've been reading among you guys. Going to have a Facebook video call with the kids and grandbaby here soon and I'm really happy about that. =>
This discussion has been closed.