SHRINKING ASSETS Team Chat - April 2020

Options

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'll get around to my intro tomorrow.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    That looks soooooooo good @boehle

Phase 2 complete - the bar is open!
    nvuedo5q45gl.jpg
    To be honest doing it on my own is much quicker and it was a good workout 😊
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    That looks soooooooo good @boehle

Phase 2 complete - the bar is open!
    nvuedo5q45gl.jpg
    To be honest doing it on my own is much quicker and it was a good workout 😊

Hahaha!!! You have a case of Corona!!!

Luckily it is the good kind!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    HABIT TRACKER! Did you know that we have our own habit tracker that is here for you to use? It’s on the main group page, under the announcements called the F2F Habit Tracker-April 2020. Habit tracking works because it gives you a visual representation of your progress. You get to see all the times you’ve done the habit lined up as an unbroken chain. Once you can see your progress, you’re much less likely to skip the habit.
    Just click the link and follow the easy instructions and start tracking your habits today! Habit Tracker

TIP:
    I like to bookmark my team's page at the beginning of every month for easier access. Happy Tracking!! ;)
    9jv6vp6tfkji.png
  • KittyInBoots17
    KittyInBoots17 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I am so sorry for the late weigh in, I've been totally distracted... Please log my weigh as the same since I haven't been weighing in.

Weigh In Wednesday
    KittyInBoots17
    PW: 221.2
    CW: 221.2
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Steps:
    3/22
    3/23
    3/24
    3/25
    3/26
    3/27
    3/28
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Jeanette. Thank you for allowing me to join Shrinking Assets. I live in Texas. I’m currently working from home as a high school teacher.
    Start: 161.5
    Goal: 156.0
    I plan to walk an hour per day, log every bite, drink water and stay well!
    I do have a few questions.
    1. I understand I need to login my weight on the designated date I chose. Correct?
    2. What other guidelines am I to follow?

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Hello I am Jeanette. Thank you for allowing me to join Shrinking Assets. I live in Texas. I’m currently working from home as a high school teacher.
    1. I understand I need to login my weight on the designated date I chose. Correct?

Hi Jeanette! Welcome to the team. Yes, post your weigh in on the date you selected. Enter in this manner:

Beka3695
    Saturday
    PW 222.4
    CW 219.8
    Guys, hope this is what I post on Saturday :)

Feel free to post as often as you like. We are a friendly, funny group.

Also - I am a 2 time finisher of the Hot Chocolate!!! 15k last year and 5k this year! There are several runners on the team. You are in good company.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,098 Member
    Options
    Found a stray message in the March challenge! Some steps for you:
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    This weeks steps..... still plagued with GI issues, so my ok, bad and terrible days vary.

Sun. 3/22 7,166
    Mon. 3/23 4,622
    Tues. 3/24 5,068
    Wed. 3/25 1,945
    Thurs. 3/26 12,374
    Fri. 3/27 15,416
    Sat. 3/28 4,155

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,098 Member
    Options
    We have a group challenge for week 1 - a list of fun, useful, and self-caring things we can do every day. Enjoy!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10790503/april-2020-week-1-april-showers-challenge#latest
  • TwinMomma2019
    TwinMomma2019 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Just gained a little motivation ... booked a vacation in Hawaii in November!
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This is the second year of me being in this challenge. When I began in February 2019 I was class 3 obese, weighed 119.5kg (263.5 lbs), had insulin resistance, a sluggish thyroid, and was an epic snorer. You may have noticed: all in the past tense. In January 2020 I reached my healthy goal weight, my health issues have all reversed over the past year, and now I am trying to maintain my weight around 65kg (143 lbs).

For this reason I am not technically "in" the challenge anymore, but am staying in the group to keep myself accountable and on track - and cheer you all on in your journeys.

I'm Australian, and mum to a moody teenager.

My stats:
    169cm / 5'7'
    41 years
    Highest Weight: 119.5kg/263.5lbs (27th January 2019)
    Maintenance Weight: 65 kg/143 lbs +- 1.5kgs /3 lbs (6th January 2020)
    Maintenance duration: 12 weeks.

April health goals: Stress management & healthy habits for these crazy uncertain times!
    • 5 mins of mindfulness first thing and last thing each day.
    • Limit social media & news coverage.
    • Keep on track: reinforce the good habits I've already created but find so easy to fall out of (go to bed by 10pm, get up 7am, daily exercise, healthy eating, intermittent fasting, no snacking, etc).
    • Be kind to myself and others. Look for the positive, the productive, rather than giving into anxiety and uncertainty.
  • Luciicul
    Options
    Luciicul
    Week 1, Monday
    PW: 147.5 lbs
    CW: 146.6 lbs
    (Trying to maintain around 65kg /143.5 lbs, +- 1.5kg / 3.3 lbs)

My weight in March was riding a bit higher than I would have liked, so will increase my intermittent fasting this week, as well putting in place better stress management.

I've had trouble sleeping this past week. One day last week I wasn't able to fall asleep until 7.30am in the morning, and then slept until noon (and no: I am not a shift worker. Normal bedtime is 10pm!). Stress always affects my sleep, my brain can't stop thinking, problem solving, even if there is no problem to be solved. All the corona virus stuff - even though our household is largely unaffected at this point, and we are in a much better position than many - just the uncertainty, and inability to trust that our leaders are making the best decisions for our country and the health of our nation...

So my main goal this month is stress reduction, and of course I know that goes hand in hand with eating well, exercising, going to bed on time, getting up at a regular time, fresh air and sunshine, mindfulness, etc.

Wishing you all the best in these turbulent times. Do take care of yourself - not just handwashing and physical isolation, but also stress reduction :smile:
  • Luciicul
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly I'm sorry to hear about your job. I hope your state/nation puts in place a decent support package or jobs creation program to help your nation get back on track - so many job losses here in Australia too, and no doubt more to come.

I am, however, deeply envious & impressed at how quickly you brought order to those spaces in your home! We have a few unruly areas backlogged in our house, but I don't have much hope they will be tamed any time soon! In our house the mess is in equal measure to our own mental 'baggage', and we're carting quite a lot of crap around.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Welcome @jrortega1912 and you join us in interesting times!

Sometimes clearing one helps with the other @Luciicul and it has certainly helped with my clarity.

As fitness captain and being eco-friendly I am going to recycle someone else's exercise idea. It is a bit of read so I have put it in a spoiler.
    Take the NEAT Challenge by SARAHDUDEK80 from Dec. 2016 which concentrates on non-exercise exercise. There is one other factor that we often forget about. Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT) is the energy you expend from everything that is not sleeping, eating, or exercise. NEAT is all of the tiny little actions you do during the day that add up in caloric burn.

"As a health coach I often hear that people don’t have enough time to exercise. It can be difficult to find the time to prepare healthy meals. These are both understandable and they are great reasons to meet with a health coach to find solutions to help you carve out time for exercise and meal planning. Yet, if you are someone who is pressed for time, NEAT is where you can make giant leaps in your healthy living process."

Your daily calorie burn, or TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is composed of your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, the amount you'd burn in a coma) + NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, your job and chores and such) + TEF (Thermic Effect of Food, calories burned processing food eaten) + EAT (Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, your separately- accounted intentional exercise).

For an average person, the biggies are BMR, NEAT, and EAT, usually (not always) in that order from biggest to smallest. We can't do much to change BMR intentionally in the short run, and most people here are already taking steps (heh) to increase EAT, as they can fit it in.

But how much are we all thinking about and effectively increasing NEAT? It can be an immediate improvement, and for some a surprisingly big one, allowing us to either lose faster, or eat more, depending on our personal healthy goals. (The only downside is that new NEAT calories are hard to estimate, but we'll see them reflected in our weight loss rate.)

Some of the successful MFP weight losers/maintainers here have increased TDEE by a reported hundreds of calories daily by increasing NEAT.

Lot of great ideas for improving NEAT in both web pages, (some of these don't currently apply) including:
    - Instead of searching for a parking spot closest to the store, grab one a few aisles back. You will save time by parking sooner, and you will get a few more steps in.
    - Take stairs more often instead of elevators.
    - tand up every time you talk on the phone. Pace, walk around your house, and march in place.
    - Be inefficient in the grocery store, doubling back and forth in the aisles.
    - etc.

The list is endless and the benefits are HUGE!

I would like us all to think about NEAT activities to add to their day and share with the team. I will kick things off with the kitchen up-right press-up, when I am waiting for something like the kettle to boil I stand a few feet from the worktop and do an up-right press-up against the worktop, not as strenuous as a real press-up though still burning extra calories.

I am looking forward to hearing your ideas 😊
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Options

Hey hey I am in Texas toooooooo
  • TwinMomma2019
    TwinMomma2019 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    TwinMomm2019
    April Week 1 - Monday
    PW: 162.3
    CW 162.9

Kind of disappointed to have a reordered loss. I'll do better this week!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I am Julie, one of your Team Captains. My counterpart and bestie is Beka, aka @Beka3695 , and @themrwobbly is here to keep us moving physically and mentally :)

I am 38.. kinda dating someone in this very crazy pandemic. I also have an 18 year old senior that I feel so bad for during this. Born right after 9/11 and graduation during a pandemoc.

I started my journey many moons ago. I was 237, got to 132 then got lazy and I am at 172.

April Goals:
    -Every day that I continue to work from home, go walk/jog/run an hour at lunch.
    -Log all calories before they even enter my mouth.
    -Get and stay under 170.

If you have not already, feel free to friend me.
This discussion has been closed.