Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time figuring out how to count my lawn work today. I got the filters changed and the oil changed in my riding mower, and started my yard at 2:30. It takes somewhere close to an hour to do all that. After mowing mine and the neighbor's, I then dug out my push mower to edge with and because the neighbor's back yard is too steep to do with a riding mower; its almost too steep to get with the push mower! I had to push the lawn mower up hill for part of it, then I could reach it down from up top for the rest. That was 30 minutes. Immediately following that, I got my weed eater out, and spent an hour doing that, I think. So total activity time was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 1/2 hours.

However, MFP doesn't have an entry for weed whacking, and when you say yard work, its an entry for heavy. I finally decided to just count 40 minutes of general lawn mowing as my entry - I hated to count 75 minutes because that ended up with over 600 extra calories, and I just can't see where I got that many back. My fitness tracker shows I have over 11,000 steps in today, but I also know that it missed a lot of the steps in the lawn mowing, so who knows where I really am.

I'm probably short-changing myself, but after adding back in those 40 minutes, I had to add a second hamburger to my dinner plans for this evening because I needed more protein that comes with the extra calories; if I add back an additional 20 minutes, that's even more I'm going to have to scrounge up.

but hey, I can make my blackberry dumplings tonight, and enjoy them with a little bit of vanilla ice cream to boot!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You are doing such a great job balancing your calories and adding back in those special treats to enjoy...my entire day is pretty sedentary but I am moving around more than I was a year ago...I am planning on doing more when this isolation period ends or lessons...it’s already in the high 80s and low 90s most days...we did get some rain today...I really wish I could still get on my knees to plant flowers in the yard...I don’t think I could manage getting back up!...we have our yard work done....our son in law climbed on the roof today and pressure washed all of the eaves and cleaned the leaves out of the gutters....he is doing the outside of the house tomorrow...our daughter Amanda is virtually teaching and the state isn’t opening schools until fall...

Wanted to let you know I enjoy your posts and reading about your day.

..my day is kind of like AA....one day at a time!...I am still thinking I can hit 265 to 270 by the end of May which is my one year anniversary on MFP...I started at 350... that’s if I don’t go off the rails on a crazy binge....
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I"m still going to wind up a little over my calorie count - got a craving for marshmallows and at 2 (hey, a serving is actually 4!) and 4 hershey kisses. But since I was being conservative with my calorie count today anyway, I don't think its going to matter much in the long run; because what is 129 calories, really? I'm missing my calorie goal by 2, but I'm not concerned since I'm aiming for 0.7 and the recommendation is 0.6 - 0.8 of ideal body weight (can't remember if that's kg or lbs). I easily got my fiber in today and actually got my fat in for the day and then some! Usually I never hit the fat goal!

The one thing I didn't do is wash those exercise mats, but by the time I had dinner, I was tired and just didn't feel like it. I need to wash dishes and take a shower before bed.

My hamburgers for dinner were good except I wish I had left the bacon bits off......
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    okay, going to have to update: instead of being 129 calories over and missing protein by 2, I'm going to be 69 calories over and miss protein by 14, and that's because after eating my blackberry dumplings, I just can't get down the yogurt I had intended to eat today to help with protein. Those dumplings are filling!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    weight bounced up this morning from an all-time low of 248.8 to 250.1, or 1.3 lbs. Of course it was disappointing to see, but I keep reminding myself to hold the course steady and wait to see what Thursday brings. Besides which, we were shooting to slow it down. Right now, I'm down 1.5 lbs from Thursday's official weigh in, with 2 mornings left to go, and even if 1.5 ends up being my rate for this week, its one week, so I keep telling myself to wait it out.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My weight is up a staggering 9 pounds but for me that is annoyingly common after a heavy food day.

Taking a week off from the elliptical had a surprising result. Yesterday was my first day back on it and I tore it up. I did 2 sessions of 45 minutes. It was starting to wear me down a little which is why I gave it a rest but now I can do 20 minutes on new (for me) tension level that was hard for me to do 5 minutes before.

@bmeadows380 concerning the spending on of some of this... It is not all an expense. If you strike the right balance the money you spend today is an investment to prevent spending more money on health expenses later. I am starting to see a savings now. It is not enough to offset how much I have spent anytime soon but hopefully it will. I am not trying to encourage you to buy anything if you have a workable solution. I am just mentioning it for other needs that may arise.

The Apple Watch purchase gave me a lot of heartburn. I could have gone a different route and accomplished the same thing. I still think about it. However, at the time of purchase it did offer me a little more personal safety features that gave me more confidence to walk further from the house. I bought it a year ago and at that time I wasn't even walking a continuous mile yet. It is crazy what a year can do because 2 morning ago I walk for 6 miles.

• bmeadows380
    edited April 2020
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My weight is up a staggering 9 pounds but for me that is annoyingly common after a heavy food day.

Taking a week off from the elliptical had a surprising result. Yesterday was my first day back on it and I tore it up. I did 2 sessions of 45 minutes. It was starting to wear me down a little which is why I gave it a rest but now I can do 20 minutes on new (for me) tension level that was hard for me to do 5 minutes before.

@bmeadows380 concerning the spending on of some of this... It is not all an expense. If you strike the right balance the money you spend today is an investment to prevent spending more money on health expenses later. I am starting to see a savings now. It is not enough to offset how much I have spent anytime soon but hopefully it will. I am not trying to encourage you to buy anything if you have a workable solution. I am just mentioning it for other needs that may arise.

The Apple Watch purchase gave me a lot of heartburn. I could have gone a different route and accomplished the same thing. I still think about it. However, at the time of purchase it did offer me a little more personal safety features that gave me more confidence to walk further from the house. I bought it a year ago and at that time I wasn't even walking a continuous mile yet. It is crazy what a year can do because 2 morning ago I walk for 6 miles.

I wouldn't have to worry about weight loss if I stepped on the scale and saw a 9 lb gain in 24 hours; I'd probably have a heart attack on the spot lol

I may need to give the aerobics a rest for a bit, or at least until I can find a knee brace that will stabilize that knee. Regular walking doesn't bother me, but side steps, squats, lunges - that knee threatens to give out and I have to go slow and make absolutely sure its going to hold. The braces I currently have don't give me the support on the outer side of the knee, and that's where I feel like its weak. I twisted one of my knees 20 years ago - my thigh and my calf were perpendicular to each other and I felt the bones pop out of and back into place (and yes, that's a horrible feeling to feel those bones shift in the direction they aren't supposed to shift and know that in seconds the pain is going to hit), then twisted it a second time within 2 weeks of the first one - thought it was better and did too much too soon. I didn't go to the doctor because I don't believe I tore anything; just strained it, and within about 2 weeks, after the swelling had gone down, I was back to normal with no pain in walking or anything like that, but it is weaker and complains when I try to squat down with it. Then long about 13 years ago in 2007, I twisted it again stepping off wet carpet onto tile floor. Same thing - it healed up on its own quickly, so I didn't tear anything, or at least, snap anything, as I'm sure I had micro-tears in it.

Now I'm 40 years old and I can tell that wear and tear is starting to catch up with me. Usually, it doesn't give me trouble in regular activities, but in the back of my mind, I'm aware of the potential and find myself unconsciously compensating for it - which is probably wearing out the other knee.....

I hate to set the videos aside as its a good way for me to get that heart rate up for cardio health, but I don't want to end up with another twisted knee, either. I'm already doing low impact cardio, and its still putting a strain. The strain isn't all the time and with every move, but if, for instance, I'm doing side steps, and my foot lands in a different position, that knee protests. I'm worried about getting into a session, stepping wrong just one time, and down I'd go. At the same time, I don't want to because I'm enjoying the cardio :( I really wish there was a pool closer to me than an hour's drive away. Maybe I can find a couple of programs for people with bad knees that I can mix in.

@NovusDies My biggest problem is that I just can't afford a $100 tracker right now, and I'm already working on paying down credit card debt; I don't want to add anything that's not absolutely necessary to it; I'm not only working on trying to better my physical health, I'm also trying to learn to better my financial health, and those credit cards are one area I'm working on reigning in. That's a big reason why I went with the $30 fitpro instead of the pricier fitbits. However, I want something that's reliable and this thing is not proving to be so.

I might have it in May, because I have a loan that pays off at the end of this month, which will put some back into my paycheck.

At the same time, I'm not sure which to get. I hear a lot about fitbits, but looking at what Amazon has, I dont' really want one that is going to automatically detect exercise as I don't trust it. My boss says he had a fitbit, got a garmin, but when back to a fitbit as he liked them better. I see that Samsung has one as well, but I need something that will work with an iphone.

I'll gladly take opinions! :smiley:
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    about a month ago, I went on a 5.25 mile walk in around 2 hours, and while I did make it home, it was questionable and I knew I had overdone it.

This evening, I walked 5.67 miles in 1 hour 46 minutes, and my legs were still going strong when I got home! My back was stiff and aching, but I'm fine - and today's walk was against some pretty good wind gusts, too - at one point, I had to tie my hoodie because I got tired of losing my ballcap. My face and fingers are still warming up, though - that wind was strong!

anyway, what a difference a month made!

And if my fitness tracker is to be trusted, I walked over 18,000 steps today. I think I earned my blackberry dumplings tonight.....
  • NovusDies
    Options
    about a month ago, I went on a 5.25 mile walk in around 2 hours, and while I did make it home, it was questionable and I knew I had overdone it.

This evening, I walked 5.67 miles in 1 hour 46 minutes, and my legs were still going strong when I got home! My back was stiff and aching, but I'm fine - and today's walk was against some pretty good wind gusts, too - at one point, I had to tie my hoodie because I got tired of losing my ballcap. My face and fingers are still warming up, though - that wind was strong!

And if my fitness tracker is to be trusted, I walked over 18,000 steps today. I think I earned my blackberry dumplings tonight.....

See? I said you were a rock star!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

See? I said you were a rock star!

lol

Weight was up a little bit more from yesterday by 0.3 lbs, which is up 1.6 lbs from Monday's all time low but still under the all-time high for the week at 250.6. Right now, I'm on track to show a 1.6 lb loss for the week; might go a smidge higher to 1.7 if some of this water weight sheds by tomorrow morning. Definitely a big slow down compared to previous weeks! My initial reaction is to think that I overshot and to lower calories again, but I'll hold to the course for a little while longer to make sure; I tell myself that I know better than to panic over 1 week's data.

I'm trying something today: since my new knee braces won't be here until Saturday at the earliest, and all the others I've tried either didn't fit or didn't give me support where I feel I need it, I tried wrapping an ace bandage around my knee, and then pulling the old knee brace up over that. We'll see if that supports me where I need it, because the problem I'm running into is that I need support on the outside center of my knee, and all the braces I've tried out so far isn't given me support in that area. I'm not sure what kind of knee brace I really need for that; I've tried a couple of the ones with various kinds of strapping but they didn't work. Then again, I'm also very limited in what knee braces are available to me, too.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,315 Member
    Options

I read this and all I saw was BLACKBERRY DUMPLINGS. (drooling)

Seriously, though, this is fantastic! It's amazing what consistent effort can do.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    My knee brace report is promising. I have had one for over a week and the other for about 4 days. While wearing them I am noticing a burn in the muscle(s) around the knees which I am taking as a good sign that stabilization is might be improving.

A very good sign is that I am not experiencing any knee pain at the moment. I almost always have some after multiple 20k+ days and right now I am doing okay.

I find them cumbersome to put on so I am resistant to using them for short 1 mile walks but I should probably use them for a mile or more. The idea of putting them on for a .25 mile pee walk with the dog is not going to happen unless a doctor tells me it is necessary. Since it was my idea to try them I think I am on my own for now.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    the ace bandage under the knee brace worked during today's session! That knee was much more stable and I didn't feel like I was going to crumble to the floor as the knee gave out like it had threatened before. And this workout included squats and lunges. I couldn't get very low in any of them, but the knee felt stable. The other one, on the other hand, was complaining - the left knee never threatens to give way like the right knee does, but it does hurt when I try to squat too far. Over the years, I've found myself compensating by bending over at the waist instead of squatting, which probably has not been any good for my back.....

That knee is probably just going to be permanently weak; I think what it is is that when my weight hits that knee in a certain way, it wants to track like it did before when I twisted it - probably stretched the ligaments or tendons or something in that knee; I hear the same thing happens for folks who pop a shoulder out of joint; it becomes easier for it to pop back out later.

Today's workout was more resistance than cardio, so it didn't get my heart rate up all that high, so I didn't count quite half of it back. I'll also be cutting back just a little on my walking distance; at least, I don't intend to try for over 5 miles today; 4 miles will be plenty :tongue:

I read this and all I saw was BLACKBERRY DUMPLINGS. (drooling)

Seriously, though, this is fantastic! It's amazing what consistent effort can do.

the dumplings were fantastic, though I admit I couldn't get the calorie count below 190 per serving; I used splenda and almond milk, but other than that, there isn't much more I can do to get the calories down in the dumplings; that flour and butter just don't have anywhere to give in them. Though the next time I make them, I might try leaving the butter out; my mom makes great biscuits using just self-rising flour and milk; it should work for the dumplings too.

I'll try it out on Sunday; dinner is mine on Sunday (my mom and I swap out Sundays since we live right across from each other) and I'm planning stuffed peppers with more blackberry dumplings for dessert!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I have a question about weighing meat....do you weigh it raw or cooked?....I weigh it after it is cooked because that is what I am consuming....not sure which way is correct....if I count the calories in 4 oz of ground chuck 85/15 I want to eat 4 oz...after 4 oz is cooked it really shrinks in size....I always bake my hamburger patties...if I make sloppy jos or chili, I pan fry the meat, drain and rinse it in a colander...this eliminates a lot of fat...then I weigh it...have I been doing this wrong?...I do chicken and pork and fish the same way...thanks for any answers!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 I think you can do either way. The USDA database has entries for both cooked and uncooked. I personally use the entries for raw myself, and I think the uncooked at 4 oz and the cooked at 3 oz entries line up, depending on how you cooked it, of course. For instance: when I look up the Purdue Chicken Thigh entry in MFP's database, it shows 250 calories for 3 oz cooked. The package shows 250 calories for 4 oz raw. Int his case, its bone in skin on, and I just weigh it bone and all and assume that's what Purdue is doing as well.

You may be getting more accurate results your way, other than the fat loss from rinsing (I don't think the entries take that into account, unless you find one that does) I just use the raw entry because I figure that builds in a fudge factor for me, and because I repackage my meats into individual sized portions and weigh them and mark the weight on the bags before I put them into the freezer.

Also, by weighing raw and marking the package with the weight, I can pre-plan my diary; I just look at what I intend to eat the next day as I take it out of the freezer and go and mark my diary for that day with the weight I had marked on the container.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Oh, of course you plan your menu!..( friendly sarcasm there )....SMH....I change my menu all day long!... we eat a lot less meat than we used to but I still like my proteins!...my husband likes meat, potato, and vegetable ....this would satisfy him every night!...he is easy to please though so I mix up casseroles , salads etc....right now I am looking for a really decadent tasting dessert without robbing my calorie bank....you are probably right about weighing the meat raw most of the time...would be hard to do in a restaurant but not going out lately!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I've got a few extra calories for tonight - I'm going to get me a kroger mini ice cream sandwich and probably some fruit, since I'm out of blackberry dumplings :(

I loved this peanut butter pie recipe I found in an older Betty Crocker cookbook.

2/3 cup splenda or other sugar substitute (when using splenda, you might want to increase to 1 cup)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup brown sugar substitute (Swerve)
    1/4 cup water
    1/3 cup peanut butter
    3 large eggs
    1 unbaked pie shell

Note that the splenda and brown sugar are listed as a 1:1 ratio with regular sugar; if you using a blend like splenda brown sugar blend, you'll need to cut the amounts in half.

Beat it all together well and pour into the pie shell. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-50 minutes. - the recipe says 40-50, but that's based on using the real sugar and corn syrup; I'd suggest start checking it at 30 minutes; the center may be a little soft but the rest should be set, like a pumpkin pie.

Serve it warm with a little chocolate syrup on top, or as in my case a melted hershey kiss :)

I made this recipe into little pie tarts by taking my pie crust (1 cup flour, 4 Tbsp butter, 4-6 Tbsp water, 1/2 tsp salt) and dividing it into 12 portions, then rolling them out and putting them into a muffin pan. The batter above was enough to lightly fill each cup. Then when I took them out of the oven, I pressed a single hershey kiss into each tart.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    That peanut butter pie sounds really good!...

Changing the subject here but my dad worked at Kroger’s for 22 years...started as a stock clerk in the 50s and moved up to manage one of the busiest stores in the Louisville/Cincinnati district in the 60s...I was a cashier for a while at Kroger’s in my late teens/early 20s....I guess that was the basis for my husband and I owning grocery stores on the West coast of Florida and in the Keys for so many years...we were fortunate to retire young because the grocery business is a killer!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I weigh it the way it comes. So if it is raw I weight it raw, if it is a frozen vegetable I weigh it frozen.

I sous vide my fish a lot and because it is so low calorie I weigh it in the wrapper so I can just dump it in the bath. I might be overcharging myself 20-30 calories.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I hit a personal best today. Just over 29k steps. If it wasn't so late I might be tempted to go out and walk a half mile to see a 3 but I am exhausted and 4:45a comes early.

lol. At dinner I realized I saw the remaining calories wrong (didn't have my glasses on) and I overate by ~130 calories. I was irritated because I had such an overfeed on Monday I wanted to stay on point the rest of the week. Thanks to boredom waiting for my wife's meeting to conclude I walked the dog again and when I got back in I saw a physical project I could do today instead of waiting for the weekend. SO as of now I am under 248 calories for the day. That is quite the reversal. They can be tomorrow's calories.