SHRINKING ASSETS Team Chat - MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @hipari - you have always been good at listening to your body. Being cognizant of the situation is a big part of the battle. I love your focus!

@samuel860 -Great job!!! That is a massive loss!!! Kids keep you moving :)

@biketheworld I am so with you on late night snacking. I have to save extra calories for JIC. I went to bed last night with a nice deficit then a storm rolled in. My dog was barking at the thunder and forced me out of bed. I ate cheese and crackers, too. After that it was a small handful of chocolate chips. It is all logged - but made my day end higher than I was expecting.

The one plus of being awake in the middle of the night was that I opened my pantry and planned dinner for tonight. Barbacoa chicken with black beans, rice, and steamed broccoli. This fits nicely into the GREAT GROCERY CHALLENGE (3 pantry, 2 freezer items removed) and in my calorie count.

I have pre-logged my day and have room to spare. This makes me happy. I am having a @hipari moment today, too. I have been practicing modified IF for a couple weeks (M-F). It is working great for me. But, today I am already staring at my 'breakfast' thinking "is it noon yet?" I need to find an in depth project to drown myself in so I forget about the clock.

HAVE AN AWESOME DAY!!!
  • WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I’m normally a pretty laid back person but yesterday I let some things get to me and the anxiety soared around dinnertime. I’m an emotional eater. Ate a decent dinner, but topped it off with a glass of wine and cheese and crackers, which put me over my limit. Could have been much much worse so I’m glad I was able to stop there. However, somehow I need to figure out how to not run to the refrigerator when I’m upset.

I'm the weirdo that goes and works out now if I find myself feeling like this. I am also an emotional eater. Sometimes even if it's a 10 minute long video or short ride on my bike, it helps and it redirects my emotions into a more positive feeling that comes from after working out.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Ugh. My weight has been going purely UP in the last week (I weigh daily). My muscles are super sore and I baked some breakfast rolls last weekend which I know bloat me up, so I know there are rational reasons for "gain". It's still discouraging to see the numbers going up right in the beginning.

Repeating this as a mantra: forming healthy habits that last a lifetime is more important than the number on the scale going down every single day.

With that, I'll go pre-log my food for the day and spend the day working on last night's revelation: for some reason I do a lot of morning snacking because I feel like it's "too early" to eat lunch. Still, I wake up and eat breakfast around the same time as during office days, and at the office we always go out for lunch at freakin' 11 AM. Lately I've been snacking all morning on less-than-healthy stuff because it's still too early for lunch, then end up eating lunch later and not having time/hunger to actually eat my super healthy afternoon snack.

Thanks @Beka3695 ! If only I was able to actually do what my body tells me, and not just listen and then do stupid things anyway...

Yesterday I almost didn't do stupid things with food, except first I went on a quick pre-lunch walk with my husband, and gave in when he wanted to go to the grocery store and get ice cream because the weather was so summery. It was the first outdoor ice cream of the season so it felt kinda special, but still, instead of grabbing some pre-lunch crackers I now grabbed a pre-lunch ice cream... and then in the afternoon I ended up replacing my super healthy berry snack with white chocolate, just because it was there. Not cool. Finally, we tried a new dinner recipe that was super healthy in itself, but waaaay too spicy, it didn't taste like anything other than burning, so neither of us ended up feeling satiated by it and had an extra evening snack. I did go for a walk twice yesterday and hit a decent burn, but there's no way I was in deficit or even in maintenance with all that food mess.

Today will be a better day, and I'm repeating my mantra. Forming healthy habits that last a lifetime is more important than the number on the scale going down every single day.

The bloat is starting to come down in today's weigh-in, but I still weigh more than my official Sunday weigh-in.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Went on a 3 mile walk/run this morning. Dog’s happy, I’m happy, what a great way to start the day. Have a good one everybody!
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    PW: 157.4
    CW: 158.0
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon All,

Sorry for my month away, a lot to catch up on. Hopefully everyone has got through the longest month ever and has their eyes on a post-quarantine prize :smiley:
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    holy bejeebes.
    I haven't been able to get on here via a computer for dayssssssssssss.

I am having lunch right now.
    Shredded lettuce, cheese, cucumbers, peanuts and blue cheese.
    What is everyone having/had
  • Beka3695
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    holy bejeebes.

About to walk out the door to Adeline’s HS graduation. Had a half bagel and cream cheese...

I think there is a family dinner tonight...
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    boehle wrote: »
    holy bejeebes.

About to walk out the door to Adeline’s HS graduation. Had a half bagel and cream cheese...

I think there is a family dinner tonight...

They get to have graduation?
    Ohio's is cancelled. Cody's was set for 5/23 but we are under a shelter in place until 5/31.
    They plan to do a virtual on 5/23 and actual graduation 8/4.
    By then, the kids wont even care.
  • Beka3695
    Options
    fod1fozluwth.jpeg
    9w3uqevcakrb.jpeg
    0ms8hmktw11e.jpeg

We called it a drive by graduation. She could have 5 guests and we all had to arrive in the same car. Glad I don’t hate my exhusband or his wife.

She graduated totally alone. Afterwards her friend came over and we took more pics.
  • Beka3695
    Options
    Baby pics from last weekend....

So life has handed a new twist. My daughter cannot find childcare due to COVID fallout. She has to report back or will go to jail - well, court marshaled as she is military. Her husband is the primary income so he can’t take off.

Mimi to the rescue. I will be moving down and working remotely until proper childcare can be found. I am really curious to see the effect this has on my weight loss momentum. I am taking scales and food scales with me :)

I am excited and scared at the same time!
    r2s25wkzikbn.jpeg
    hjaqnogzulbk.jpeg
    0vp6no1c8qda.jpeg
    rr44iclehmin.jpeg
    4vfzd4odv3ak.jpeg
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

So life has handed a new twist. My daughter cannot find childcare due to COVID fallout. She has to report back or will go to jail - well, court marshaled as she is military. Her husband is the primary income so he can’t take off.

Mimi to the rescue. I will be moving down and working remotely until proper childcare can be found. I am really curious to see the effect this has on my weight loss momentum. I am taking scales and food scales with me :)

r2s25wkzikbn.jpeg
    hjaqnogzulbk.jpeg
    0vp6no1c8qda.jpeg
    rr44iclehmin.jpeg
    4vfzd4odv3ak.jpeg

That's SO exciting! You will do great! I watch my two grandkids (2 and 3) most days. Just make it a priority to stay on track! I actually have them helping me make healthy meals. They both love to cook. Have so much fun making memories!
  • hipari
    Options

r2s25wkzikbn.jpeg
    hjaqnogzulbk.jpeg
    0vp6no1c8qda.jpeg
    rr44iclehmin.jpeg
    4vfzd4odv3ak.jpeg

Whoa, that's a special kind of tricky situation. Glad Mimi is able to jump in and rescue the situation! You're gonna do great!
  • hipari
    Options
    Ugh. My weight has been going purely UP in the last week (I weigh daily). My muscles are super sore and I baked some breakfast rolls last weekend which I know bloat me up, so I know there are rational reasons for "gain". It's still discouraging to see the numbers going up right in the beginning.

Repeating this as a mantra: forming healthy habits that last a lifetime is more important than the number on the scale going down every single day.

With that, I'll go pre-log my food for the day and spend the day working on last night's revelation: for some reason I do a lot of morning snacking because I feel like it's "too early" to eat lunch. Still, I wake up and eat breakfast around the same time as during office days, and at the office we always go out for lunch at freakin' 11 AM. Lately I've been snacking all morning on less-than-healthy stuff because it's still too early for lunch, then end up eating lunch later and not having time/hunger to actually eat my super healthy afternoon snack.

Thanks @Beka3695 ! If only I was able to actually do what my body tells me, and not just listen and then do stupid things anyway...

Yesterday I almost didn't do stupid things with food, except first I went on a quick pre-lunch walk with my husband, and gave in when he wanted to go to the grocery store and get ice cream because the weather was so summery. It was the first outdoor ice cream of the season so it felt kinda special, but still, instead of grabbing some pre-lunch crackers I now grabbed a pre-lunch ice cream... and then in the afternoon I ended up replacing my super healthy berry snack with white chocolate, just because it was there. Not cool. Finally, we tried a new dinner recipe that was super healthy in itself, but waaaay too spicy, it didn't taste like anything other than burning, so neither of us ended up feeling satiated by it and had an extra evening snack. I did go for a walk twice yesterday and hit a decent burn, but there's no way I was in deficit or even in maintenance with all that food mess.

Today will be a better day, and I'm repeating my mantra. Forming healthy habits that last a lifetime is more important than the number on the scale going down every single day.

The bloat is starting to come down in today's weigh-in, but I still weigh more than my official Sunday weigh-in.

I relate to what you are saying so much! I love your mantra!

I really struggle with feeling frustrated when the scale does not go down and lose motivation. Lately I have been trying to focus on making my goal be the process. For example, I have set "rewards" for myself in the past. I used to say, when I get to X weight, I will reward myself with $50 spending on new clothes, or a trip somewhere, or whatever. Just this month, I changed it up. This time, when I record all of my calories, and meet my workout goals for X days in a row I get my reward. I am hoping this helps me focus on what really matters and keep me less frustrated when the number on the scale is not going down.

The goal is forming healthy habits that will last a lifetime! :)

We're so in the same boat! I've previously considered this kind of habit-based reward motivation, but never actually set my system up. I love the idea, and will have to figure out some kind of system to keep me motivated. Coming up with non-food rewards during shelter-in-place is kinda hard, though. Can't take trips, can't go shopping, can't go to movies or any other entertainment activity etc. The only things I can come up with are food and netflix and I already do them every day. If you have any ideas for rewards during lockdown, I'm all ears!
  • guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I relate to what you are saying so much! I love your mantra!

I really struggle with feeling frustrated when the scale does not go down and lose motivation. Lately I have been trying to focus on making my goal be the process. For example, I have set "rewards" for myself in the past. I used to say, when I get to X weight, I will reward myself with $50 spending on new clothes, or a trip somewhere, or whatever. Just this month, I changed it up. This time, when I record all of my calories, and meet my workout goals for X days in a row I get my reward. I am hoping this helps me focus on what really matters and keep me less frustrated when the number on the scale is not going down.

The goal is forming healthy habits that will last a lifetime! :)

We're so in the same boat! I've previously considered this kind of habit-based reward motivation, but never actually set my system up. I love the idea, and will have to figure out some kind of system to keep me motivated. Coming up with non-food rewards during shelter-in-place is kinda hard, though. Can't take trips, can't go shopping, can't go to movies or any other entertainment activity etc. The only things I can come up with are food and netflix and I already do them every day. If you have any ideas for rewards during lockdown, I'm all ears!

I miss all those things so much! It is so hard because honestly there is not too much to look forward to right now except for the end of all the restrictions. I wish I had some brilliant ideas, but I can't really think of anything.

I am fortunate enough to be in a good financial situation in spite of COVID, so I just did guilt-free spending money.
    I make it more appealing by not letting myself have any spending money unless I earn it. For example, right now I really want these press-on nails and some painting canvases on Amazon. Both items are inexpensive, and I could get them now, but I am not letting myself purchase any non-essential things without earning the money. Here are my current rewards:

$50 spending – When I have completed 10 consecutive days of meeting all of my goals, I will earn this reward.
    $50 spending – When I have completed 25 total days of meeting all of my goals, I will earn this reward.

Goals:
    1. Complete the scheduled Chloe Ting Hourglass Challenge workout videos every day (attempt every day-if I cannot complete everything, that’s okay)
    2. Log all calories, and stay at or under goal most days (within 200 calories of my goal, and all calories logged will be considered a success)

I know these goals seem easy, but they are actually pretty hard for me right now - baby steps!
  • Beka3695
    Options
    @guitargirl55 - I LOVE this approach. This is especially useful for folks closer to goal. Those last 10-15 are KILLER. I will definitely incorporate this when the time is right.

MY NEXT TREAT... I think
    I have a really nice pair of sunglasses that I love. I have had them since 2015 - so I have taken care and had them for quite some time. The one thing I don't like is that they have metal and rubber nose pieces. My hair gets caught in them if I push them back on my head.

I have decided to replace them with a plastic/resin framed pair when I enter ONEDERLAND. This is 15 lbs away. My current ones are Maui Jim's. Anyone have sunglass suggestions?

TEAM DISCUSSION

What is your goal - is it like mine and strictly scale or like @hipari and Megan and habit driven?

What do you have instore for yourself once you reach that goal?
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Whilst the children are home I have moved away from recording food and working on habits. Started a new marathon training plan in the hope September happens so running 4 days a week and doing C25K on the elliptical the other 3.

A pic of me one year ago to remind me why I need to stay focused. I don't remember being pregnant!
    c03mjyq7gplu.jpg
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    suzyjmcd2

Thursday weigh-in
    PW: 119.6
    CW: 120
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My ideas for “rewards” are non monetary based:

1. There’s a state park about 20 miles away with 2 nesting pairs of bald eagles. I’ve been wanting to drive over there and look for them but just haven’t made it a priority.
    2. I’ve heard great things about a local arboretum but have never carved out the time to see that either. So that could be another reward.
    3. I love biking long distances and have lots of vacation days that apparently won’t get used. So I could treat myself to a day off and spend it on the bike.
    4. A local self pick flower farm will be opening soon, I think on a curbside basis. I could order a vase of beautiful flowers. I love flowers and it would help a local business.

So.....first reward will be #1. For the next 7 days, I’ll record every morsel and stay under calories 4 of 7 days. Full disclosure, I have my settings so exercise calories are added back in. Eagles, here I come!
This discussion has been closed.