This August I will...

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    WOW! Ref James Clear... he is only 33!!!! But I like him already. Just googling a little I am sure I will start getting ads for his books etc... Gotta love technology.

So last night ladies I dreamed hard right before I woke up. I was replacing light bulbs all over my house. How funny is that. I have NO... IDEA.... but I am sure it means something. or not.

I am glad your classes are online 77! I mean this virus is going to explode with kids going back to school and college.

OK - I truly believe with each other we are going to close August STRONG and we can also start thinking about Sept.

626kxbj51fyt.png
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,974 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , 2 half months is a great idea. I actually do this with my Yoga. I do 15 workouts and then repeat those 15 (since the workouts in the 30 day Challenge get really long and hard). This month I made it to day 17. ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,109 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: ยป
    @MadisonMolly2017 , 2 half months is a great idea. I actually do this with my Yoga. I do 15 workouts and then repeat those 15 (since the workouts in the 30 day Challenge get really long and hard). This month I made it to day 17. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks @77tes!
    Thereโ€™s something so nice about a fresh start - one of the things I like about Flylady - different weekly chaLlenges!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    My August I Wills will be focused on fun and creativity.

I will read my book and/or color some every day. ๐Ÿ“– = reading a book for fun, ๐Ÿ“œ= coloring

August 1: ๐Ÿ“–

August 2: ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 3: ๐Ÿ“–
    August 4: ๐Ÿ“–
    August 5: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 6: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 7: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 8: ๐Ÿ“œ

August 9: ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 10: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 11: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 12: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 13: ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 14: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 15: ๐Ÿ“–

August 16: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 17: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 18: ๐Ÿ“–
    August 19: ๐Ÿ“œ

๐Ÿค ๐ŸŒบ
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @SummerSkier I like the little bite sized bits of good ideas that you shared. Thanks. Hope that your knee continues to improve.

@MadisonMolly2017 I also like how things that need to be done are in a different room the next week with Flylady. I never thought of that as a fresh start, but now I will. That is so much more encouraging to see it that way. Whatever did or did not get done last week stays in last week! Thanks for sharing!

@77tes, yes, Austen is so much better than any kind of gloom and doom! I'm very close to needing another news sabbatical.

@nebslp you are so right about how energizing it feels because the I Will thread is very active this month. I find that it has been encouraging me to want to do my I will and then post it. We are stronger together!

๐Ÿค ๐ŸŒบ
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Speaking of reading my boss (who retired in Feb) stopped by to drop off a birthday gift for me. I had not seen him since he left so it was good to catch up. The gift was really cool. It was 2 old sci fi booklets from the early 60s which were part of an auction he attended. And the best part is reading some of the ads in the front of the books! LOL. I was maybe 6 or 7 so they are "almost" familiar to me. Recharge those magnets Ladies!!!! B)

On the knee front I have self diagnosed as a grade 1-2 lateral cl sprain. Recovery 2-4 weeks. Ibu works a miracle on it which you know you have inflammation when that happens. And ice. I can walk and trying a bit of jogging as weight bearing straight on is not painful at all. It just tweaks every once in a while with that "sprain"y feeling.

rga4vpkfh22o.png
    8boiawnkmqlb.png

Happy Thursday everyone.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Well it is FRIDAY!!!! yes. And today only 21 days in to the month I realized that the whole point of these monthly I do's is to create new habits which we can keep. Ohoh. I just was sort of challenging myself in different areas for the month vs looking long term. I might have to rethink how I approach this for Sept. And yes ladies! You cannot get rid of me that easily... I will be here. :)

Hope everyone is having a swell week and is ready for the weekend.

My friend in Salisbury Md sent me a small gift for my bday (LEOS rock!) and I was planning to enjoy the wrapping paper too but my cat has other ideas.

Going to try dropping the ibu today wish me luck. :#

u300f0tqc1h1.png
    uxhio9hfd57c.png
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Nice cat!
    LOL @SummerSkier re: getting rid of you haha

Iโ€™m glad you know what to do with your knee! Good that you are getting off the ibuprofen!!

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/painmeds_analgesics

YAY for the weekend!
  • 77tes
    Options
    This week has gone really well! I think checking in a couple times this week has helped. My classes are set up, The first announcement went out today, and Iโ€™m taking the weekend off.

@SummerSkier , funny, this group actually began as a Daily Challenge group, but it gradually evolved to stressing long term habit building. Glad the knee is feeling well enough to stop the pain reliever.

ximthtfd3f8m.jpeg
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    interesting. Well I was looking to start a monthly type challenge group in the maintainers forum and Maggie gently but firmly said - Hey stupid! All the fun people who are really interested are over here.

So here I be. They dont know what they are missing.

Seriously tho I was getting a little bored with cruising there as it's typically the same questions over and over an over again and no one bothers to read the really great info in the stickied materials which can help them. Kudos to the folks who patiently answer those questions again and again.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @SummerSkier
    HA Ha!

Iโ€™m thrilled you checked us out & joined! The maintainers group seems to have strong opinions. I actually remember some strands in response to some of your posts that seemed unfounded & judgmental. Sometimes I think they forget that there are probably as many ways to maintain as there are people!!! Grateful to have gotten some tips over time.

Thus, this group & the other group I belong to that are like my family on here. โค๏ธ
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    well if anything over time I have learned that I can be "gasp" wrong!!!! With age come humility also. I am always reminded of the parable of the blind men and the elephant. Each man grabs another part of the animal and declares their own unique experience.

"The elephant is like a snake!" says the man who grabbed the trunk
    "The elephant is like a tree!" says the blind man who grabber a leg
    "The elephant is like a rope!" says the man who grabbed the tail
    "The elephant is like a cloth!" says the man who grabbed the ear

or some such. But It does always seem that people can get STUCK on a method based on their single experiences which had success or not and determined to stick to their opinion and listen to none other. I can be the same but am trying to open my mind and ears more and more.

3 weeks into this month and it sounds like @77tes is ready to start teaching!!! looking forward to hearing how this new approach works - pitfalls and advantages!

@texasgardnr looks like your relaxing aug has been a great success! Are you itching to continue for Sept or wanting to challenge more?

I have been quite happy with the Aug I do so far and inspired by all of you! I have learned that the most bang for the buck as far a protein appears to be shrimp! Which is cool because I do love it but I don't buy it very often. My trivialspending on Amazon and Candy crush has been nil which was another goal. and my bank account and credit card are showing the results. :) I also have changed up my eating habits so I have a bit more variety and am continuing each week to try something new from the store. This week I got brocoli slaw and sweet potato bits. The hummus was bah.. and actually went bad on me so that was a failure. The watermelon I loved a lot but it actually made me thirstier. no idea on why. The strawberries. YUM! and YES!!! Some of the protein bars were YES but others were meh and might actually break my teeth. hahaha...

58x7156xjxt7.jpg
  • 77tes
    Options
    @SummerSkier, I love the story of the blind men and the elephant and the cartoon - funny because itโ€™s true. I have changed my opinions about heath and fitness since I got on this bandwagon so many times! I used to think that skipping breakfast was the worst, but having a late snack was fine. Now Iโ€™m doing intermittent fasting. I also used to think yoga was stupid, now I practice it daily.

Next week will be challenging because Monday is first day of classes, Tuesday is my granddaughterโ€™s birthday and my house will be converted into COVID Disneyland๐Ÿคฃ, Wednesday my husband and I have an appointment with lawyer, and Friday Iโ€™m getting a crown. ๐Ÿ‘‘
  • texasgardnr
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @SummerSkier you actually can do the I will habit any way that works best for you during each month. Sometimes our habits chosen have been personal challenges to conquer something difficult to make into a real habit, which can also take several months of doing the same habit to achieve. Sometimes it is a habit that is meant only for a short term because of something going on that month or season. Changes that have been made can run the gamut of a habit to change our health in someway, get proficient something, or something to do to get ready for some event. Tracking multiple habits that are both old and new ones for us is also popular as seen in several lovely and artistic trackers.

So have fun and aim for either improving something or creating a whole new habit adventure. Glad that you are in this with us.

I just learned what a LEOS rock is. I've learned a lot on these forums using Google :laugh: .

@77tes YaY that your classes ๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ““ are now set up, and that your announcement went out today! Good for you!! Your tracker is getting colorful!!

@MadisonMolly2017 yep!, I'm right there with you because for me, also, this Building Healthy Habits group, and also the other group I belong to, are like my family on here too. I've been very blessed to have awesome supportive loyal friends here.

@SummerSkier hmmmm, I'm not so sure what I am gonna do for September. September will be special month for me as I enter into a new decade of life with new unexpected challenges that I wasn't counting on.... so... Will I challenge myself to seriously continue on with the decluttering that I am doing now. Or focus strongly on finally conquering the paper tiger. Both of these I had hoped to have made significant strides by the end of the month as I have been working on these off and on slowly for months now. Should I factor my exercise into the habit equation so that I don't feel so fragmented. I have also been attempting to get back into using the Flylady method more, again.
    Or.... should I find out what happens to the women of Sense and Sensibility much faster than I am doing now? This could be way up there on the list as I used to love to read but let other things take over. The only problem with that goal is that I have several more annotated Jane Austen books on my shelf (plus other books that I still want to read) and so that has to be kept a slow and steady fun activity. And not let it be bumped to the back of the line like I did last month :noway: .

Maybe a multiple activity tracker might be finally something to try. And then pick my main goal while making sure the others don't get left behind. Which is something that I am definitely learning is my tendency.

Aren't you glad that you asked :laugh: . I never think about next month this early ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ.

You are doing awesome with regulating your protein! I have enjoyed seeing your new food finds.

I loved the picture of perspective... is it a nine?.... What!! It's really a six??? No way!!!

@77tes now that is a full week ahead of you, indeed!! What's different or special going on Thursday ๐Ÿคธโ€โ™€๏ธ????

๐Ÿค ๐ŸŒบ
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    My August I Wills will be focused on fun and creativity.

I will read my book and/or color some every day. ๐Ÿ“– = reading a book for fun, ๐Ÿ“œ= coloring

August 1: ๐Ÿ“–

August 2: ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 3: ๐Ÿ“–
    August 4: ๐Ÿ“–
    August 5: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 6: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 7: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 8: ๐Ÿ“œ

August 9: ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 10: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 11: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 12: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 13: ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 14: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 15: ๐Ÿ“–

August 16: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 17: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 18: ๐Ÿ“–
    August 19: ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 20: ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 21: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ
    August 22: ๐Ÿ“– ๐Ÿ“œ

๐Ÿค ๐ŸŒบ
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @77tes wrote Next week will be challenging because Monday is first day of classes, Tuesday is my granddaughterโ€™s birthday and my house will be converted into COVID Disneyland๐Ÿคฃ, Wednesday my husband and I have an appointment with lawyer, and Friday Iโ€™m getting a crown. ๐Ÿ‘‘

Thank goodness for a rest day on Thursday. That week sounds like a horror to me actually with the worst on Friday! But first day of school and lawyers and parties and dentists. OMG. I would be hitting the Xanax (kidding not kidding) I should know as I have a mouth full of the royals and even a bridge which had to be redone after 20 yrs a few years back. That is why one of my Aug I wills and a habit I want to instill was to use the waterpik/floss at least 2 x a day. So easy to skip but honestly since I had to miss my cleaning (not a risk I wanted this summer) I am trying to be extra meticulous about my teeth. One thing I do which is lazy is just halfway floss. But on this I do I am digging in deep around each tooth so hopefully when I do go in Oct for my cleaning it's not such a bad thing. I don't really want to have any dental work this year if I can help it.

@texasgardnr I would like to know what this paper tiger is you speak of? And I enjoy hearing your musings about September and none of us really has to stick a pin in it until we decide to yes? I was on a group for "not that much to lose" folks for a few months and one thing I noticed is that most of the regulars there NEVER lose the not that much. And I can see why. They buckle down for a few days and the scale goes down maybe a pound and then they just give up for a week and it's back and rinse repeat. I think it is BECAUSE they are not really that heavy that it's not really very important to them to lose the little bit they want to but the cycle was starting to drive me a little bananas and I did not want to say anything to them so I left. Most of them were a lot younger and I never felt very connected anyway.

@MadisonMolly2017 I see you started a new topic (everyone needs to check it out!!!!) for the rest of the month self care. I think we can all use good ideas. thank you for starting that!

Ok - now I have procrastinated long enough. It's been a week. Time to try out the legs and see if they still work.

BONincoolerAustin
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Well I am wondering how the first day of classes went @77tes ?!!! I hope there were no glitches as our schools have had quite a few start up bleeps here.

My knee cooperated yesterday to let me run but today it's back to cranky. I do see small improvements and lord knows we all appreciate it's difficult to be patient with these things when you are looking at weeks vs days. I guess I am grateful that I see small improvements day to day - like more flexibility and strength etc.. I am still icing it (well I have a marvelous set of cold packs which I use that I found out about in PT years and years ago. THey are soft and easy on the skin. So glad I stopped the IBU last week tho. I was starting to get the old retain water and mopey feelings I get from antiinflamatories and at this point I want to know how it is doing so I don't over push things.

We only have another week of August left! Wow did that fly by. I can now tell you exactly how many places I have to floss on my teeth. LOL

Hope all are doing well and can check in soon.

SummertimeinTx.... where are those hurricanes today? and just because everyone loves a wrinkly ole knee picture. You can see the swolled ligament on the left outside in this.

2ie0fua3xrfs.png
  • 77tes
    Options
    @SummerSkier , running is pretty hard on knees. Do you have access to a bike? Iโ€™ve heard they are better, but Iโ€™m no expert.

As for the dentist, I had/have a whole lot of old fillings which I have been gradually replacing whenever one falls out or the tooth breaks. Iโ€™ve become very used to it. My dentist retired thanks to Covid ๐Ÿ˜ข heโ€™d had open heart surgery right before the shut down, and since he didnโ€™t get to do his cardiac rehab, he decided to retire. He was the best, most pain free dentist Iโ€™d ever had.

Classes are going okay. Lots of glitches. ๐Ÿคฃ My class didnโ€™t launch early like I had planned and Canvas (the learning platform) is running super slow. I feel sorry for the students who are going to be stressed and may lose their posts if they didnโ€™t follow my advice and write in a document first then copy and paste. But they usually donโ€™t remember. Heck, I know better, and donโ€™t follow my own advice.

Still things could be worse - Zoom is having an outage, so if I were teaching via that, it would be really bad.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Thereโ€™s a lot going on here! I havenโ€™t had a chance to read everything but will do so sometime today and get a response out. I said I would share my chart later this month and itโ€™s much later so Iโ€™ll do that now. mte0vprwewbt.jpeg
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Well that was a fail. I made the picture smaller ( finally figured that out) but itโ€™s sideways and unreadable๐Ÿ˜–. Second try... 1p8vd2vsisa8.jpeg