Weight No More - October 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Freeglerock
    Here is what we have been up to since school broke up last Thursday:
    * Friday - 4 Kingdoms (diversified farm - lots of playing areas, slides, bouncing pillows, pedal boats, go karts, tractor rides, play village and animals)
    * Saturday - cinema
    * Sunday - lunch out, bowling (I was not good at it), shopping at craft shop
    * Monday - cycle ride to some playgrounds, walk round wildlife park lakes where we fed ducks and played in park
    * Tuesday - lunch out then went to Milestones, a local history museum where the place it set up as historical town with shops, cafes, ironmongers etc to walk around
    * Wednesday - Halloween hunt finding houses that are decorated, played in parks and then was raining really hard whilst in town so stopped for a late lunch and hid out in the cinema till it stopped raining (more popcorn....)

Have lots more planned for the week, just hoping the rain stops interrupting our adventures. Today is looking pretty wet so plan on having an at home crafting day.

Wow! This sounds like so much fun, Lisa. When you said Milestones, I thought you meant a restaurant (it's a chain here) and was so pleased to see that it's a local history museum. I'm a genealogist, so such a nerd for those. Are your ancestors from the area you live in?

• 1theresamcvean
    Options
    sleepymom5 wrote: »
    Check in for Wednesday
    Food-better but not great
    Water-64 oz
    Exercise-none

Food was good except for hitting the candy again. I am going to have my husband hide it for me. I just love chocolate so I should have bought gummy candy or something else. I am happy that at least the rest of the day I ate on plan. I also have been doing well with the 14 hour IF so I am not eating after dinner. So this week wasn’t too bad, my sleeping and water are back on track, my knee is feeling better and I am slowly getting back on track with eating. Next week I need not take it up a notch.

So the doctor isn’t convinced the pain I am having is arthritis. She said I definitely have arthritis but she thinks from my description it may be a ligament. She wants me to see an orthopedic doctor so that is the next step. She told me to continue what I am doing but also told me to do yoga and gave me the green light for bike riding. I am going to start off slow with the bike and build from there. Seeing Ashley spinning away is very motivating (and a little intimidating Lol!) but maybe I can slowly get to loving it like she does.

@minstrelofsarcasm and @1theresamcvean Although I am very tempted to ask for another month on the cheer squad, I think it is in my best interest to get back on the team. I would like to have Friday as my weigh in day but would like to wait until Sunday to give you my starting weight if that ok. If not, I can do earlier.

@1theresamcvean thanks for the tips for SAD. I am lucky that I don’t have a problem with it, just get more of the blahs. You are right though, this year may be worse with everything that is going on. On another note, I found chocolate and pumpkin pie hummus. Yes, tastes just like pumpkin pie filling!

Pam, I just bought a giant box of RealFruit gummies last night. There's no way to gorge on those! Imagine what my stomach would say if I ate too many. I'm not sure any children are going out for Hallowe'en here but I don't want to be empty-handed.

We've been getting mixed messages on Hallowe'en. Many people are planning to stay home and have family-scary-movie and Jenga-for-candy night since the premiere of the province and the city officials have both recommended that children not trick or treat. A famous costume party on Church Street in Toronto is canceled, and officials say that if you have a party of more than 10 people indoors or 25 people socially-distanced outdoors you'll get a big fine. It's $10,000 for the host and $800 per guest. I read in the New York Times that Canadians are very 'deferential to authority' so things are 'less bad' here. I guess I'm going to be stuck holding a big bag of RealFruit gummies.

I can't believe I can't find that hummus. When I used to live in Niagara Falls, we would go cross-border grocery shopping because the grocery stores had so much more selection. The variety was unbelievable. I remember just looking at the cereal options and being gobsmacked.

What good news that the knee pain isn't arthritis even if you still have arthritis. That makes loads of sense to me. A ligament thing could have you cleared in a few short weeks for a Spin challenge. I have a spin bike, Kristy @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx does too, and we all know that Ashley @minstrelofsarcasm is a force to be reckoned with. Maybe, while she's away on vacation, we can get a headstart.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    kandi3570 wrote: »
    @sleepymom5 I’m with you next week I’m going at this strong. I’m going back to getting my steps, if it means I’m on the treadmill every night. And I think black I will start some strength training as well.

This is what has been going on with me. I hit my knee with a bowling ball Saturday and I ruptured a varicose vein. It’s very swollen and tender. I also had a chocolate craving that I gave into on Sunday. I bought sugar free candy. But I discovered that was a mistake. It has just led to more sugar cravings. I started the week out strong with 1 pound lost on Sunday only to wake up Monday to a 3 pound gain. I’m now at 4. I don’t think it’s all actual weight as I think water retention and swelling on my leg is part of the problem. So anyway, the soreness is subsiding a little bit, but it has made me not want to get my steps in. And my schedule has slowed down so now I have extra time to think about eating. Lol. And also you may think I’m crazy, as I think I’m crazy for this. But, I put my Christmas plug ins in and my house smells like Christmas and I swear it’s makes me want to eat more.
    I am also waiting on covid to catch me. As i now have 7 family members in quarantine. 2 of which I have had daily contact with. Neither have symptoms but were exposed to someone who tested positive. And I have said from the beginning there is no way I will avoid it. But If im being honest I wish I could voluntarily quarantine just in case I Typhoid Mary this crap to anyone else.
    It has been a stressful week. Watching my daughter like a hawk for signs of any sickness and worrying about all the what if’s. My food intake has been up but I haven’t been extreme ethical it and I’ve counted my calories. So I’m hoping that it’s 4 pound so of water on my leg. That’s why wishful thinking. But a girl can’t team.

Oh no! I hope your knee gets better ~ that sounds painful. I hope your relatives are all safe and healthy and did not catch Covid. It's natural to worry though. My thoughts are with you.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    @minstrelofsarcasm
    @1theresamcvean
    Hi ladies

I think I need to be put back on the cheer team for now. I'm really having a hard time getting back on track. I know what to do, just not doing it.🙁

Would like to be excused from tomorrow's weigh in also, if possible.

I'm going to try to post more regularly again, just would like to not have to worry about weighing in weekly at least for tomorrow and for November.

Thanks

I hope the break helps you reset. I miss you here and hope that with less pressure, you can come by more often and share your stories of your neighbourhood pups and everything that's going on with you. Miss you, Linda.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    podperson1 wrote: »

@1theresamcvean - hope you feel better soon x

@Cafelelia - I'm the same, I tend to not want to post when things are going rubbish, when really it's probably the best time to do it so can get support. The 'hygge' approach sounds like a fun idea, I do kind of gravtitate towards snug and coziness at this time of year anyway :)

So, have been much better the past few days foodwise. Not quite got back to the exercise yet but been having a bit of a 'spring' (autumn?) clean so must have burned off a few cals doing that lol! Think the 'tidy house, tidy mind' must have some credit as I do feel more positive with less clutter around me. I'm probably going to go into the office tomorrow - said I would pop in one day this week at least. Haven't really left the house in 2 weeks so will be a bit odd but I suppose at least I get a conversation with someone different :)

Thank you for the well wishes, Shelli.

I'm the same. I tend to hole away when things aren't great. And you're right, it would be better to get out of my shell and come out for support.

Glad to hear you're doing better the past few days. One step at a time. Housework is a real calorie burn too.

• kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @1theresamcvean, I probably need that kick in the but. 😆
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Welcome to all our newcomers - this is a wonderfully supportive group and am sure it will help you on your weight loss journey x

@1theresamcvean - I do wish I had a proper fireplace, just feels like the ultimate in cosiness! If you are looking to make it more 'special' though then what about maybe adding some scented things to it? I love cedar and applewood, but have seen people use cinnamon sticks, pine cones, and even herbs like rosemary or lavender.

@tryingagain5 - I do think it helps a lot to have a good physio who knows you and knows what they're doing. I ended up having to go private last time I had issues since the waiting list for a GP referral was just ridiculous, but don't think I would go anywhere else now. Glad you're sticking around the thread - I totally need to get more regular with the posting as well!

@goingape - I adore fuzzy socks, have so many pairs lol. Think I may need order a new microwave heat bag this week as my last one kinda died a death.

@kandi3570 - you can totally do this, back on plan! :) Ouchie for the bowling ball injury though, that sounds nasty.

@Freeglerock - sounds you've had such a fun week and some of it sounds pretty active so am sure it will balance out the eating out ;)

@minstrelofsarcasm - woot on the loss :) It is crazy how much the scales can go up and down just over a couple of days, and if we're not mindful can def be disheartening so thanks for the useful info x

@sleepymom5 - I must admit spin classes have always looked like a type of torture to me, but I have big respect for those who manage to do them! I am terrible with the sweets and chocolate as well, I keep trying not to buy them and then flatmate and his friends keep offering it to me anyway (and my willpower is weak lol).

So, sticking with the healthier eating and have a grocery shop coming tomorrow so hopefully that will keep me away from the takeaways. Not managed to get back to my online exercise classes yet but more cleaning so - yay, I guess?

I'm really loving all the 'hygge' ideas, here's some of mine:
    going to get my super cozy outfits out this weekend - fuzzy socks, furry hoodies etc.
    I know I also have some scented candles with 'winter/xmassy' type scents and I tend to already have some fairy type lights up but know I have some more I can add/switch out with. I also have Halloween ones so good timing to find those!
    Trying to think of some 'comfort foods' that are still low cals. One I like that is super easy is to cut an apple into cubes, put in a bowl with a little water in the bottom, sprinkle cinnamon on top, and microwave for a few mins until hot and going just soft. Tastes like apple pie filling but without all the pastry calories :)
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    Ljdanny
    Week 4
    Thursday
    Pw 187.8
    Cw 187
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I had cataract surgery Tuesday, minor trouble, could not see well enough to read or post. Much better today. I have dry eye and the drops that I have to use due to surgery made it a lot worse. I called the dr. today and was told to use lubricating drops along with the antibiot and pressure drops. Just remember to wait 5 minutes after each drop. I will do my best to check in this weekend. wx6mpzm3xdrs.png
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1148 calories today. And my total steps for the week thus far is 32604. That’s Monday through Thursday @1theresamcvean . Not great I know. Hope you feel better
    Thank you @podperson1. You’re right I’ve got this. Back on track!!
    @debbiewsharpe I’m glad surgery went good. Can’t wait til your completely back on your feet. You are missed here!
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    podperson1 wrote: »

@1theresamcvean - I do wish I had a proper fireplace, just feels like the ultimate in cosiness! If you are looking to make it more 'special' though then what about maybe adding some scented things to it? I love cedar and applewood, but have seen people use cinnamon sticks, pine cones, and even herbs like rosemary or lavender.

I'm really loving all the 'hygge' ideas, here's some of mine:
    going to get my super cozy outfits out this weekend - fuzzy socks, furry hoodies etc.
    I know I also have some scented candles with 'winter/xmassy' type scents and I tend to already have some fairy type lights up but know I have some more I can add/switch out with. I also have Halloween ones so good timing to find those!
    Trying to think of some 'comfort foods' that are still low cals. One I like that is super easy is to cut an apple into cubes, put in a bowl with a little water in the bottom, sprinkle cinnamon on top, and microwave for a few mins until hot and going just soft. Tastes like apple pie filling but without all the pastry calories :)

Great ideas, Shelly. I'm going to try the apple pie/not pie and the fireplace tips.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    kandi3570 wrote: »
    1148 calories today. And my total steps for the week thus far is 32604. That’s Monday through Thursday @1theresamcvean . Not great I know. Hope you feel better
    Thank you @podperson1. You’re right I’ve got this. Back on track!!
    @debbiewsharpe I’m glad surgery went good. Can’t wait til your completely back on your feet. You are missed here!

Kandi, That's a good step total. If I understand correctly, it's an average of 8,151 steps a day. You're already back on track!
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    @podperson1
    Yes, I also think sticking with someone in the medical field you've already dealt with is a good idea. They already know a bit about you and that makes it a little easier. I'm glad my insurance allows me to choose where I can go for my procedures

Thanks, I know that posting regularly did help me so I definitely need to continue, just need to get my butt in gear with doing everything else I know that helps me.

We can do it!
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    First PT session went well. Going into work now so will post more about it tomorrow when I have time. Will also read through the posts I've missed.

Have a good night all!
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new members! You’ll find this to be an incredibly supportive group.

Wow, that microwaved apple idea is sooo easy! I’m going to have to try it.

I have a funny story about fireplaces/wood stoves. When we built our house, we built a ranch style and did not insulate the basement ceiling. We put a wood stove in the basement in the center of the house. In the winter, we use this as a type of radiant heat. (And it’s lovely because it’s under my bathroom floor which is tile so my floor is warm.) But my husband will disappear for hours at a time! He takes the summer porch furniture and puts it around the wood stove and will sit in the basement. I guess it’s his peaceful time. It’s an unfinished basement so I don’t find it cozy, but he loves the wood heat!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,213 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    1uhtdw.jpg

Happy Friday, Everyone! Time for some Weigh Days!!!

Friday
    @hope002
    @cafelelia
    @lennoncpa
    @lenka1
    @Melzz19
    @1theresamcvean
    @KUMEcyclingteam

Saturday
    @kirsten11872
    @Zumba_Luvah
    @goingape
    @kandi3570
    @brown6267
    @kos33

Still Waiting On
    @Queenieamy - Have you tried out your new scale yet??
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    10/29 steps 9418
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Cafelelia
    Friday
    Week 4
    PW - 143
    CW - 142.1

OK, about 4 lbs to go! I don’t care how fast or slow it happens, as long as it happens. My height is in between 5’3” and 5’4”, so this is pretty much a “normal” BMI at this point, whatever that means anyway! I am very happy with this progress!

I am fully leaning into Hygge! I bought some cinnamon sticks to put in various teas and hot water with lemon. I set up a few cozy reading corners in the house, and broke out the furry slippers for everyone in the family. Once the Halloween decorations are down, I will start Christmas decorating early with a Scandavian theme it this year. My mood has been elevated, and I think that there may be something to this!

@podperson - I love your Hygge approaches, especially that warm apple recipe! I am going to try to bake some apples on Sunday!

@mainbeachbum - Our basement is finished, but my husband also hangs out there in a man cave that he set up. It kind of feels like an upscale college dorm room from the early 90’s!

@debbiewsharpe - I am so happy that you got through your surgery ok. Take good care of yourself!

@1theresamcvean - I am giving out candy through our 4 foot poster tube. I agree that the messages from our government have been so confusing. I just decided to do what my 10 year old wanted! I also remember the days of cross border grocery and gas shopping when I was a kid. This was way before 9/11, so no id was required and the border guards would just wave us through going over and coming back.

@4newrunner22 - Welcome to the team!
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I love a good visual! For those of you celebrating Halloween, I have attached some handy charts about the calorie content of many Halloween treats and the exercise required to burn them off! I put this in a spoiler to avoid triggering anyone.
    hv5do7ntqgu8.jpeg
    7yx1c67423zv.jpeg
This discussion has been closed.