Weight No More - October 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 943 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Seems like quite a bit of our team has hit an obstacle! It's definitely that time of year where things are more difficult for health in general, and I'm sure the stress of the pandemic has not been helping at all. For those of you who are like me, Seasonal Affective Disorder is starting to set in, in a big way. It's hard to see positive progress right now, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

So, there are a few small things you can do for yourself right now:
    Drink some water
    Adjust your posture
    Release the tension from your shoulders and jaw
    Say something kind to yourself - you deserve it
    Close your eyes and take a deep breath

tapljn5xxkah.jpg

Ashley, Thanks for this. I wanted to post earlier that SAD may affect more of us more this year. If you're in lockdown in your area, you may not naturally get out to appointments and get-togethers as often. If you're in the northern U.S. or Canada, you may be faced with reduced daylight or shorter hours of sunlight in the daytime because that's how November normally is here. My doctor recommended Day Lights to me, and it does work. It's one of those devices that end up on Craig's List because people buy them and don't commit to using them. That's how I got mine. Every year when they turn back the clocks, I use it for an hour a day in the morning until they change the time back again. I have the one called Day Light Sky, which is smaller and looks slightly more lamp like. I use it on FaceTime and Zoom calls to as a source of professional light as in lights-camera-action. Check them out here: https://www.day-lights.com/
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    Username: jedaschultz
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    Week 4
    PW (Previous Weight): 205.4
    CW (Current Weight): 205.4

Steps:
    10/20 - 5041
    10/21 - 1910
    10/22 - 4248
    10/23 - 5332
    10/24 - 2698
    10/25 - 1149
    10/26 - 5131

Great stepping, Debbie.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    Cafelelia wrote: »
    Tuesday check in
    I had a a good day yesterday. Stayed on plan and did some IF. It has been a busy day today and it is nice to sit down right now. I totally agree with @mistrelofsarcasm. Season affective disorder is very real. Plus the pandemic is ongoing and I find that I have good days and bad days. So I need to remember to post on the bad days too and we can all support each other! I am trying out some of the “hygge” approach to the upcoming winter here in Toronto. You have probably heard about it, but for those of you who have not, it is a Danish approach to the winter months where you make your home cosy and do nice things to feel good. So I put out some fake fur throws, comfy slippers, books to read and different flavoured teas. It is worth a try!

Welcome @kika5105 and @Mz_Nurze!

@1theresamcvean - hope that you are feeling better!

Lisa, I love your 'hygge' approach. Both my son and my niece spent extended periods of time in Denmark when they were teens. Just a coincidence as we're not Danish. My son was in a peace group and the Rotary send my niece for all of grade 11. Anyway...just today I thought of making a hygge list of go-to things to do since winter will be compounded by Covid this year.
    • I have the firewood but maybe there's some way I can make fires in the fireplace more special.
    • I made some special floating candle vases and each one has river stones from one of the rivers that my son went white water rafting in from B.C., Alberta, and Ontario.
    • I got my Day Light light out.
    • There are some great videos on YouTube of people hiking, swimming, and flying in various regions that are so compelling.

I hope to have some more good ideas soon. If any of you have good ideas (sans cookies), please share. Hummus is alright, although I have never found the chocolate hummus again. Big sigh.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,263 Member
    Options
    Hi WNM...you have another one joining your team ...Please welcome @franshelle8968 :)
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    @podperson1
    Thanks! Me too! I'm pretty sure it will help since it has for the other things I've gone for. I also like that I 'm going to a therapist I've seen for multiple things over the years. It is nice that I was able to pick the place I wanted to go to.

Hope you will continue to do well foodwize and am sure you will do well when you get back to the exercise.
  • tryingagain5
    Options
    @sleepymom5
    I won't disappear, I promise.😊 I'm going to do my best to post anyway since I do need the support.

Hugs to you too! Hope they can figure out what is going on with your knee and find something that will help.

Stroopwafels!! Yum!!! My family is Dutch and I grew up eating them. Definitely hard to stop at just one.😊
  • tryingagain5
    Options
    @goingape
    I do have a good relationship with the PT at the clinic. It's a small one, which probably makes that easier. Thanks, I'm sure that it will help.

Glad you were able to do your classes.
    Sorry you didn't sleep well. Hopefully it will be better today.
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    @1theresamcvean and @Cafelelia

To add to hygge ideas - I’ve been doing my scentsy and have pulled out my fall scents - apple pie, oatmeal cookie etc. Makes the room smell nice.

I’ve pulled out all my super fuzzy socks, and have been using my magic bag to warm up with.
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry I haven’t posted much lately. It’s exciting to see so many new faces!!!
    So I’m slipping some. I haven’t been getting my steps and I’m super hungry the last few days. I’ll post this weeks steps tomorrow. I’ll also be back tomorrow to post my calories. I need some more accountability ladies. 😁
  • Freeglerock
    Freeglerock Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    Freeglerock
    Week 4
    PW: 169.7
    CW: 171.8
    LTD: 46.7

So, tracking has been out of the window since Friday when I went out for dinner and cocktails with my neighbour. This week is half term, so I have taken time off work to do fun stuff with the kids, which has resulted in a lot of eating out. I'm not worrying about it though, and have now decided to give myself the week off and will get back on track starting next Monday. I'm trying not to be completely bad though - not having puddings, choosing the healthier things in menus etc, but I know it will result in some gain (though think mostly from water). Here is what we have been up to since school broke up last Thursday:
    * Friday - 4 Kingdoms (diversified farm - lots of playing areas, slides, bouncing pillows, pedal boats, go karts, tractor rides, play village and animals)
    * Saturday - cinema
    * Sunday - lunch out, bowling (I was not good at it), shopping at craft shop
    * Monday - cycle ride to some playgrounds, walk round wildlife park lakes where we fed ducks and played in park
    * Tuesday - lunch out then went to Milestones, a local history museum where the place it set up as historical town with shops, cafes, ironmongers etc to walk around
    * Wednesday - Halloween hunt finding houses that are decorated, played in parks and then was raining really hard whilst in town so stopped for a late lunch and hid out in the cinema till it stopped raining (more popcorn....)

Have lots more planned for the week, just hoping the rain stops interrupting our adventures. Today is looking pretty wet so plan on having an at home crafting day.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,234 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Welcome @franshelle8968 !!! So glad to have you here with us.

I'm Ashley, one of the co-captains of this team, along with Theresa, @1theresamcvean. Let us know if there's any questions we can answer or insights we can give. Your first weigh in will be next week!

As for my check in:
    minstrelofsarcasm
    October Week Four

Weigh In Day: Thursdays
    PW (Previous Weight): 166.6 (October 22nd)
    CW (Current Weight): 166.2 (October 29th)
    LTD (Loss to Date): 67.8 lbs

I'll be honest, I was not expecting a loss this week, regardless of how well-behaved I was yesterday. When I looked at my weight yesterday morning, I was disheartened to see that I had re-entered the 170s. How dare my body try to trick me like that!?! Doesn't it know who I (we?) am (are?)?

I suppose this is a wonderful time to bring up the factors that could have (and very likely) led to water weight this week, leading to my false gain:
    • I ate a LOT of strawberry jelly, and cookies, and a milkshake, and... - sugars lead to water retention as your body tries to regulate your blood sugar levels
    • I also ate a LOT of pretzels - sodium processing also requires a reserve of water
    • Muscle repair - both amino acids (from protein) and water are needed to repair the microtears in my muscles from working out
    • Stress, stress, stress - stress in the body leads to inflammation which leads to the body using water to boost the immune system to combat whatever may be causing the inflammation, even if nothing is there (unfortunately, the immune system does not have a video security system)
    • MS medication - I donated spinal fluid and had to tweak the dosage of my medication to keep my nervous system from aggressively lashing out - I'll be back to my standard dose by tomorrow

So, the bloat was expected. Very much expected. The loss, not so much. While I was very grateful to see a lower number this morning, I am hoping that my subconscious doesn't see it as a sign to repeat everything I did this past week.

Food: Not great at the beginning of the week, or the middle, but the end was pretty okay. I ran out of pretzels, so I think the strawberry jelly will sit untouched for a bit. I also rediscovered cold brew coffee mixed with chocolate protein powder, so that will definitely help curb some of my cravings.

Exercise: Still pretty on top of my workout schedule. It's very spin heavy, but I don't want to join another gym right now, both because of the pandemic and for the sake of my wallet. I'll be out of the area next week, so I'll probably bring my yoga mat with me and do some body weight exercises on top of whatever walks I end up taking since I won't be able to attend any spin classes for a good week.

Next Week: I'm going on a trip, staying on the coast of Lake Erie (or Eerie, for the sake of Halloween) starting on Saturday afternoon. I think getting away from the monotony of my routine and my apartment and my bad habits will definitely help, even if it sets me off track for a bit. I have quite a few self-care activities planned, and it'll be in the mid 40s (Fahrenheit), and sunny, so I won't have any excuses not to go outside. Well, unless some folks accept my invitation to come hang out with me. Then, maybe.

Also, totally shameless plug, but you can read my blog here.
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    10/28 steps 14209
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    pacsnc6
    Thursday weigh in
    Week 4
    pw:159.6
    cw: 159.6

Good! I maintained
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,263 Member
    Options
    Hi WNM- one more is heading your way ...Please welcome @4newrunner22 :)
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Check in for Wednesday
    Food-better but not great
    Water-64 oz
    Exercise-none

Food was good except for hitting the candy again. I am going to have my husband hide it for me. I just love chocolate so I should have bought gummy candy or something else. I am happy that at least the rest of the day I ate on plan. I also have been doing well with the 14 hour IF so I am not eating after dinner. So this week wasn’t too bad, my sleeping and water are back on track, my knee is feeling better and I am slowly getting back on track with eating. Next week I need not take it up a notch.

So the doctor isn’t convinced the pain I am having is arthritis. She said I definitely have arthritis but she thinks from my description it may be a ligament. She wants me to see an orthopedic doctor so that is the next step. She told me to continue what I am doing but also told me to do yoga and gave me the green light for bike riding. I am going to start off slow with the bike and build from there. Seeing Ashley spinning away is very motivating (and a little intimidating Lol!) but maybe I can slowly get to loving it like she does.

@minstrelofsarcasm and @1theresamcvean Although I am very tempted to ask for another month on the cheer squad, I think it is in my best interest to get back on the team. I would like to have Friday as my weigh in day but would like to wait until Sunday to give you my starting weight if that ok. If not, I can do earlier.

@kika5105 Welcome!
    @Cafelelia I do the same thing, it is important to post when things are bad too. That is when we need support the most! I do like the idea of the hygge approach for the winter season. I will have to look into it. Sounds like simple things we can do to make things a little more cheery.
    @podperson1 Deep cleaning the house definitely burns calories. I am glad that things are improving with the food.
    @1theresamcvean thanks for the tips for SAD. I am lucky that I don’t have a problem with it, just get more of the blahs. You are right though, this year may be worse with everything that is going on. On another note, I found chocolate and pumpkin pie hummus. Yes, tastes just like pumpkin pie filling!
    @tryingagain5 Good! I am glad you plan to stick around. I would miss you! Let’s finish the year strong! We have both been struggling too long now. :)
    @goingape More great ideas! What is a magic bag?
    @kandi3570 I am in the same boat! I will be getting back into logging my food too. Let’s finish the year strong. We can do this!
    @Melzz19 I treated myself to sushi the other day too Lol! It is harder to get the water in when the weather is cooler. I feel like when it is warmer out, I just do it naturally. When it is cooler, I have to make a point to drink. I shoot for-16 oz when I wake up, another 16 by lunch, 16 by dinner and 16 at dinner. I am guessing you have to be careful about where you are and bathrooms too which always throws a wrench in the plan.
    @Freeglerock Can you adopt me?! Lol! You are so fun!! Good plan to enjoy the rest of the week and then get back on track Monday. Sometimes we all just need a break. Don’t go too crazy though xoxo
    @minstrelofsarcasm I learn so much from you. Curious if you got sick after donating the spinal fluid. I know that can give people horrible headaches. Enjoy your time away. I have only been to Erie once, my husband has family there. I would love to go during the summer, it looks like so much fun. Protein powder in cold brew...I should look into that. Is it in place of a meal or for when you are hungry and not meal time?
    @pacsnc6 Maintianing is good! Hope you are having a good week!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    @sleepymom5 -

Your request to rejoin the weight loss team has been submitted! Welcome back!

After the spinal fluid donation, there were a few signs of nerve confusion, but nothing that couldn't be ignored. I didn't notice anything else wrong, although there was definitely some bloating that I chalked up to the change in medication dosage.

The protein powder in cold brew is for when I'm low in energy around 9-10am every morning. Coffee provides the energy, protein satiates my desire for a snack. It's good, since I have a lot of 10:30/11am meetings and I need to pay attention and contribute during those.
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @sleepymom5 I’m with you next week I’m going at this strong. I’m going back to getting my steps, if it means I’m on the treadmill every night. And I think black I will start some strength training as well.

This is what has been going on with me. I hit my knee with a bowling ball Saturday and I ruptured a varicose vein. It’s very swollen and tender. I also had a chocolate craving that I gave into on Sunday. I bought sugar free candy. But I discovered that was a mistake. It has just led to more sugar cravings. I started the week out strong with 1 pound lost on Sunday only to wake up Monday to a 3 pound gain. I’m now at 4. I don’t think it’s all actual weight as I think water retention and swelling on my leg is part of the problem. So anyway, the soreness is subsiding a little bit, but it has made me not want to get my steps in. And my schedule has slowed down so now I have extra time to think about eating. Lol. And also you may think I’m crazy, as I think I’m crazy for this. But, I put my Christmas plug ins in and my house smells like Christmas and I swear it’s makes me want to eat more.
    I am also waiting on covid to catch me. As i now have 7 family members in quarantine. 2 of which I have had daily contact with. Neither have symptoms but were exposed to someone who tested positive. And I have said from the beginning there is no way I will avoid it. But If im being honest I wish I could voluntarily quarantine just in case I Typhoid Mary this crap to anyone else.
    It has been a stressful week. Watching my daughter like a hawk for signs of any sickness and worrying about all the what if’s. My food intake has been up but I haven’t been extreme ethical it and I’ve counted my calories. So I’m hoping that it’s 4 pound so of water on my leg. That’s why wishful thinking. But a girl can’t team.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    goingape wrote: »
    @1theresamcvean and @Cafelelia

To add to hygge ideas - I’ve been doing my scentsy and have pulled out my fall scents - apple pie, oatmeal cookie etc. Makes the room smell nice.

I’ve pulled out all my super fuzzy socks, and have been using my magic bag to warm up with.

Thanks, April. I will get out my magic bag too. This reminds me, I have some pretty 'indoor' scarves. I'm going to get those out. :blush:
  • 1theresamcvean
    Options
    kandi3570 wrote: »
    I’m sorry I haven’t posted much lately. It’s exciting to see so many new faces!!!
    So I’m slipping some. I haven’t been getting my steps and I’m super hungry the last few days. I’ll post this weeks steps tomorrow. I’ll also be back tomorrow to post my calories. I need some more accountability ladies. 😁

Big hug...or would you prefer a kick in the butt? (jk)
This discussion has been closed.