Mission Slimpossible - November 2020 Team Chat

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
imvirdc2owbj.png

Here is your Team chat room for November 2020. This is where you weigh in every week, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post every day, and help each other succeed!

We have six great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Beka - @Beka3695
Teresa - @TeresaW1020
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970

Our Team Captains:
Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @TeresaW1020
Trimstones - @mulecanter and @jessicakrall8
Weight No More - @1theresamcvean and @minstrelofsarcasm
Waist Aways - @jugar and @micki48
Shrinking Assets - @Boehle and @beka3695
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970

Our Team Motivators:
Mission Slimpossibles - @AustinRuadhain @katmary71 and @raleighgirl09
Trimstones - @Emmajhare and @angmarie28
Weight No More - @GingerPwr and @KUMEcyclingteam
Waist Aways - @Terytha and @conleywoods
Shrinking Assets - @hipari
Downsizers - @Marigorringo

HOW IT ALL WORKS:
Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, every week without fail! At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also track those small, steady losses with the Green Week count. If you lose, however small an amount, it counts for 1 week in the green. The total will be by month, and cumulative - so you can really rack them up and get to your goal even if you never hit the top of the leaderboard.

In an effort to recognize accomplishments, we are using an optional addition to the weigh in format called LOSS TO DATE or LTD. Please just leave this new line off if you do not want to participate. Here is the new format:

Username
Weigh In Day
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):
LTD (Loss to Date): your TOTAL loss since your highest weight ever

If you need a week off, a break, a change of weigh-in day - just ask your Captains here on your team chat page. If you take a break, you are moved to the Support Team. If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to ask if you are travelling, sick, or just needing some time off. You can remain on the Support Team for as long as you need to. You still participate in the discussions and weigh in if you want to, but your weigh-ins will not be counted on the weekly tally.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone! After hitting your goal, you need support to stay there, and you can help your teammates join you. You must continue to weigh in every week, and if you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team!

In addition to your own team, there are F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month begin!!

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    2ox4k81f57pz.jpg

Howdy, November Slimpossibles Challengers!

I'm Austin, one of your three Team Motivators! Along with the awesome @Katmary71 and @raleighgirl09 , I work with our fearless Team Captain @TeresaW1020 as needed to help keep this wonderful group humming along!

I joined Fat2Fit over a year and a half ago, part way through my journey, and find this group to be super helpful and supportive. I have lost over 120 pounds since I started work on losing weight (January 2018), and have just a little I want to lose. I am now mostly working to build muscle and fitness. I study martial arts and love walks. I want to build more muscle, so I am looking to have resistance training on my check-ins this month as well!

I love to read up on things, and have studied habit building* and nutritional science** as I have worked on losing weight and getting my body healthier. Every body and every person is different, and I have enjoyed learning more and engaging in the kind of science experiment of figuring out what works for me. Making it happen has been and is still all about developing new habits for me, so every so often I burble about habit building!

Cheers,
    Austin

* If you are interested, check out the work of B.J. Fogg (professor at the Stanford Behavior Design Lab)! Fogg's work has been used to develop some apps that millions of people find habit-forming, like Instagram. He has a lot of free info on his website. He also has a book called Tiny Habits, which I love. If you want to reprogram your health and fitness habits, the Tiny Habits system is super simple and practical and unexpectedly (to me) fun. Fogg's team has a weekly free Tiny Habits course to help you build new tiny habits to make your life better!

For general inspiration on habits, see the work of James Clear (author of Atomic Habits). His talk on How to Get 1% Better Every Day was particularly inspirational to me. He kicks it off this way:
    "So if you were able to improve by 1% each day for an entire year... you would end up 37 times better at the end of the year. And if you were to get 1% worse, you would whittle yourself down almost to zero."
    I just love that message -- you don't need to change something huge to reach your goals. Start small. Keep making small changes. Persistence will get you there!

** If interested, check out the nonprofit, research-based site nutritionfacts.org as a great place to start. He has a new book called How Not to Diet that I want to read!

jap3ksnpl4yk.gif
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,263 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Happy November team Mission Slimpossibles... I added one more to your team ....Please welcome @OneSmallThingToday :)
  • OneSmallThingToday
    OneSmallThingToday Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 @AustinRuadhain

Thank you for the add and the warm welcome! I’m excited to be here.

A little about me: I’m 53 and live in Upstate New York with my boyfriend and our sweet, dumb as a rock cat, Emma. I work more than I should at a job that I love, and am trying to find out how that whole work-life balance thing works.

In late 2017, I started a journey toward getting healthy by making small permanent changes. But then in spring 2018, I got really bad sciatica, to the point I needed help dressing and a hand to hold if I was walking more than a few hundred feet. I couldn’t cook or exercise, so I resorted to fast food, prepared foods, junk food in general, and regained everything I’d lost and soon reached my highest ever weight of 339.8 lbs.

In spring of 2019, when my back was finally tolerable, I started fresh. A few months later, after much trouble with my ankles, I found out it wasn’t just arthritis, but osteonecrosis causing horrible ankle pain when I walked. I was told I would need an ankle replacement.

I was once again unable to exercise, but I did do a pretty good job of sticking to my healthy habits. I did stop weighing myself, though, since usually the only time I’ve ever lost weight is when I’m doing a LOT of walking. To my great surprise, in May of this year when I finally weighed myself, I was down to 307 lbs.

Since then I’ve been walking more (I wear ankle braces religiously all day every day) and the weight has really started coming off. My current weight as of last Monday is 276.4 lbs.

Yesterday I completed my first ever official 5K in 1:00:34. One of the best days of my life!

My nutrition goals for November are:
    1. Stay under 2300mg of sodium daily
    2. Savor every bite.

My exercise goals for November are:
    1. Finish Thanksgiving day 5K in under an hour.
    2. Dance 15 minutes at least 5/7 days a week.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    nj704i6pwhjk.jpg

As we start a new month it’s good to reflect and to plan.
    Click the link and let’s help each other as we help ourselves.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10814517/november-week-one-challenge-reflect-plan-act#latest

• raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Jactop wrote: »
    Hi I'm Jackie and I live in Ontario with my Hubby of 30 ears and our 23yr old son. Our 26 yr old daughter lives 6hrs away.
    I've been part of this group for 2yrs. I'm down 35lbs from my heaviest weight. I'm currently tracking with WW while also trying to keep carbs low and avoiding added sugar. I'm also a Fitbit fanatic and love all the step and minute challenges. This month I set my Fitbit goals to 15k steps and 100 active zone min per day.

My goals for November are
    1. No sugar
    2. Hydrate earlier in the day
    3. At least 30 min of activity daily

Welcome to all the new members. Looking forward to getting to know all of you

@Jactop wow, number 2 really is the key, isn't it? I will meet and exceed my goal for water if I start right away but if I wait until midmorning, even, to get started, it is much harder...
This discussion has been closed.