Nutritious November

Options

Replies

• ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Happy Wed. Last night I ate more than I did in the preceding two days, and then I finally decided that no amount of eating would make my election anxiety go away!

So, today, back to habits which support my well-being!

Magic: My older brother and I could not have been more different, and there was a fair amount of sibling rivalry, so I feel for you. I just tried to remember that no one had lived that childhood with me other than he, and tried to focus our relationship on that commonality...though no easy, since he could be pretty dismissive.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Magic - I am sorry about the experience with your sister. My favorite quote: “Acquiring a dog may be the only time a person gets to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Siegal

Shred - thank you for the welcome. I decided to reduce my Facebook time and Next door neighbor time and all news for a while and just concentrate on getting my strength back and positive attitude. I really went down a rabbit hole with 2020. I think being sick it was easy to just surf the internet and social media too much.

Austin - I agree with about sugar. Some people say it is not a true addiction. I was listening to Dr. Furman talk about what sugar does to the brain last night and it seems like a drug that makes you crave more. I fell off the wagon big time being around my older sister. I never had a problem with alcohol or drugs but I understand the cravings. Once I go down that road of chips, cookies and bread...I want more and am never satisfied.

Mihani - again TY for the advice about folate and B vitamins. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that advice. Of course my family and meat eating friends point to the mostly vegetarian diet saying that caused anemia when it didn't. With B12 being normal it pointed to blood loss. I hope the Drs figure it out. I don't want a bone marrow biopsy.

Beautiful day here in San Antonio. Took the 3 terrors for a 40 minute walk in the park. Did a 60 minute walk yesterday. Towards the end of the walk, I didn't realize my oversized yorkie had slipped his halter but stayed beside my schnauzer & the westie. He was a rescue who had no leash training 4 years ago and now heals like a champ.

B- coffee, spinach, blood orange, banana, ginger, flax seed and almond milk smoothie
    L - Roasted vegetables on spinach, walnuts,beans and 2 oz salmon
    D - Black bean & lentil soup
    snack - Norwegian seed bread with all nut butter
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,895 Member
    Options
    I have some catching up to do!

Bisky, the starchy carbs are my big temptation as you know. I am not sure I will ever have it fully under control, but it's certainly a lot better than it used to be. That's too cute the yorkie hung out even off the leash. The roasted veggies on spinach sounds heavenly. Keeping you in my thoughts that the docs can figure out what's going on with you.

Shred, yay for keeping up the gym routine! I hope you can keep going but better safe than sorry when it comes to covid exposure. I meant to ask, what are you planning to play at your piano recital?

Wow, Magic. Your sister does sound rather vindictive, not naming you with the other folks at her gathering. Glad you will be able to finish the decluttering and organizing soon. Oh, and I just wash my veggies in plain old water.

Austin, I actually filled out my panda planner today! I felt guilty that I recommended it and here you are running with it and mine was still collecting dust! How is your husband's recovery going?

I had a pretty good day at the office. It was a little quieter than usual and I managed to get a few files off my desk. That felt good.

B - oats with blueberries and chia seeds and vanilla almond milk yogurt mixed in... oh yum!
    L - Dr. McD soup, raw carrot and radish, lara bar
    D - taco salad (I am soooo enjoying these this week)

I'm off to check emails, have dinner, then read and relax for the evening. Didn't get to bed until late last night and planning an early bedtime.
  • ShredWeek1
    Options
    Thank you for asking. Scriabin Prelude No. 6, which is a big lush lavish piece of only one page, but very Russian..depth of soul, etc., and the 1st Goldberg Variation. I think the other participants are going to do Chopin, some heavy Beethoven, but I want a contrast...something lushly Romantic and something briskly baroque.

As per my gym: I don't know how they have come up with the funds to create "pods" around the cardio equipment, and remove about 3/4s of the other equipment. There are inevitably the people who have to take off their masks to make calls, but I've learned that between 1 and 3 pm the gym has all of 5 people in 6,000 square feet, so I can avoid everyone.

I miss the dynamic of others, but until we are fully safe again...

I'm hoping tonight will be a more peaceful night (we went to bed around 1 a.m. and my family was rustling around throughout the night). I've been in a holding plateau for a few weeks now, and once the election tension is over, I can concentrate on my weight/health goals again.

Take care, Plant Family!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Good evening, plant-based friends!

@magic71755 , I am so sorry about your experience with your sister. If you want some kind of social connection with her, it sounds like you just breathe and let her be as she is, and remember that how she is has nothing to do with you. And then take or leave what those interactions offer. I do get the no-fun-ness. Being left off a list of who was at the table would have punched *my* "being left out" buttons!

Washing produce varies a bit -- water and a brush and a bit of soap (things with rough skins I am not going to eat), water and a sponge (thin skinned things), rinsing (thin skinned things like berries).

@ShredWeek1
    Hurray for being back to those fitness habits!
    Your piano recital sounds wonderful! I love the Goldberg variations, and am going to look that Scriabin piece up!

@Mihani
    Hurray for the Panda Planner! I am liking the "3 things" for the day part the best.
    My husband is continuing to recover. Thanks for asking! He is doing physical therapy sessions twice a week. We checked in with his ortho today, and he is happy with the progress. It will be months before he is back to full functionality, but he is getting better week by week!

@bisky
    "Once I go down that road of chips, cookies and bread...I want more and am never satisfied." <= Me, too, to every word of this.

Also, thanks for sharing your comments about the importance of B vitamin supplementation. I get lazy some days, and it's a great reminder to stay at it on those!

B - green smoothie; apple & peach slices; pumpkin seeds
    L-turnip greens, garbanzos, tomatoes & green chiles; steamed zucchini with fresh onion & tomato; steamed parsnip, carrot & mushroom; steamed butternut & pumpkin with diced fresh apple
    S- apple slices & cashews, part of a Garden of Life bar
    D-big salad; steamed butternut & jicama
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My dearest plant people, I am on my way to Sprouts...here's my menu...back later to chat.

November 5 Thursday piesmiley3.gif

Black Coffeelovecoffee.gif
    celery juice
    sourdough bread sandwich with avocado, LTO, mint, basil, leafy greens
    carrot/apple/lemon ginger juice
    soup made with Better Than Bouillon, vegan chicken* ...gluten free noodles, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tofu
    Lemon/Ginger tea ... Asian Pear icecubesmiley.gif

*https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RXAK1PE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• bisky
    Options
    Good Morning!

Mihani - what is a Panda planner? I have been reading more at night and turning off the computer. Sleeping better.

Magic - I had a Sprouts very close by and they moved. Loved their organic frozen berries. My BIL died of Covid this summer. My SIL is having his memorial funeral at the end of the month in another state and did not invite me. Yes, the same sister who asked me to drop everything and come help her take care of her husband. Did that for 4 months. Same sister who when she got Covid and was very sick..her Internal Dr. did nothing, she went to the ER and they diagnosed her with pneumonia and did nothing...I found her a concierge internal med. Dr. who that day ordered her steroids, O2, home pulse ox, antibiotics for the pneumonia and a few other meds. Same sister. Oddly enough it does not hurt. It says more about her than me.

Shred - we stopped our gym membership and I miss swimming. With Covid on the rise in Texas I am still not willing to go. My husband bought us a Peleton bike this summer before we knew I was sick. Riding it was fun but it made my symptoms worse...now I am ready to start back. I think the last Iron infusion has kicked in! Wish this made me an Iron woman!

Austin - yes, don't neglect those B vitamins! This recent hospitalization was a big wake up call.

Yesterday in cleaning the kitchen pantry I came across a package of frosted Oreo cookies. My first reaction was to devour...then I got mad at hubby. Saboteur! Wait until he comes home. After work he stopped at BB &B and came home with a brand new All Clad soup/pasta pot (he used a coupon). I had this old thin bottom steel pot I make soup and pasta with and easily burns on the bottom. Have had it for 40 years. Complain about it because I have to be so careful even at low temps not to burn food. The difference between him and I: he forgot he bought the cookies several months ago. I have never forgotten or misplaced a package of cookies. They are going to a food bank with all the flour based pasta today.

B - spinach smoothie, bran flakes with blueberries and walnuts
    L- black bean & lentil veggie soup
    D - Banza pasta with spinach, onion, mushrooms and pine nuts...maybe sun dried tomatos
    snack - seed cracker with avocado and black sesame seeds.

E- short walk with dogs, 15 minutes on bike

• AustinRuadhain
    Options
    3ew1hawx7nnf.gif
    Good morning!
    I am reminding myself to be calm today, and to stick to my food plan. That half of a Garden of Life bar yesterday was me stress eating a bit. I stopped after half and tossed it. I am going to make myself some extra tea today, and be sure to get in exercise.

I hope you are all doing well today!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Shred, I've made a note to listen to your selections. Thanks for sharing!

Austin, yes the 3 things is very good. I am a weird juxtaposition of optimism and negativity so the 3 things helps me a lot! Glad your husband is recovering well.

Magic, veggie sammiches are my favorite thing!

Bisky, I laughed at "I have never forgotten or misplaced a package of cookies" :D

I had a rather difficult day. Found out a friend, not a close friend but someone I have known for years and like immensely, attempted suicide. He is doing okay and recovering, but I'm just devastated. Extremely successful and well respected person in his 60's so it's just confounding everyone what is going on.

Other than that, it was an okay day diet-wise. Usual breakfast of oats with berries and chia seeds, lunch of soup and an apple (plus a few pretzels), and dinner will be taco salad. Work didn't suck today and I moved a few files off my desk so that was nice.
  • ShredWeek1
    Options
    Good evening, Plant Family.

My apologies for not being a better poster, I usually log in after dinner, and then I'm just wiped out!

I've got 4 election lbs to lose (the same 4 I lost when I started WW in September), but now that we are in the final phase, I'm sleeping far better. This morning, I got up at 4:20 a.m. to get an update, realized how counterproductive it was, and went back to bed...sleeping till 11!

Good night, friends!
  • bisky
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Mihani - I am so sorry about your friend’s attempted suicide. I hope he is able to get the help and support he needs.
    After a beautiful walk yesterday I spent the whole day taking everything out of pantry, cleaning, checking for expired dates, getting rid of stuff and reorganizing. In the midst of all this I started feeling overwhelmed and a friend called and came over to help. We got all the top shelves and bottom shelves finished. The eye level shelf will be nuts, seeds,beans, grains, dried fruit, oatmeal, bran cereal in glass jars with clamped lids. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to store cans in a way I can see what I have. May take a trip to the Container store or BB&B. Hit a big wall yesterday and too tired to cook dinner. Brooks cut up and roasted brussel sprouts and sweet potatos with dirty rice and vegetarian chorizo crumbles. Going to make the Banza pasta with veggies tonight.
    B - bran flakes with fruit, nuts and seeds
    L - leftovers from dinner last night and spinach salad
    D- bean pasta with veggies and salad
    E- walk dogs
  • ShredWeek1
    Options
    Hello, Plant Family:

Mihani: My brother committed suicide so I know how difficult this is. I'm glad your friend didn't succeed.

I'm still very distracted, but just trying to get through the top 3 priorities of each day. ...and to let everything else go.

Take care, all! The weather here is amazing, and I'm going to take our dog on yet another long walk.

Today: Vega protein drink (it is vegan protein and fabulous), pre-workout: Kodiak protein waffles, lunch/snack: Amy's black bean burgers and cauliflower, dinner: russet potato, cauliflower and chickpeas.

E: Elliptical trainer: 30 minutes on interval setting, 100 ab repetitions (I do Pilates based exercises), 10k steps.

I'm cooking my way through Nava Atlas' book: The 5 Ingredient Vegan Gourmet, and making a somewhat separate dish for myself...but thus far, the family is loving it, and it isn't hours in the kitchen!

• Mihani
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Bisky, love the rearranging idea and making sure all your good stuff is front and center. I have two sets of 4 wire shelves on the back of my basement door where I keep cans of beans, diced tomatoes, etc. Works really well and saves a lot of room in the pantry.

Shred, I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. I'm seeing a lot more of this in the families of clients we work with over the past 10 years or so, and with Covid it seems to be getting even worse. I have a friend who works as "first responder" emotional support for families of suicide and I have been thinking about volunteering. His sister committed suicide so it is very meaningful to him.

Other than that, it was another crazy day at work and I brought several files home to work on Sunday because I don't want to go anywhere near the office this weekend. I hope to get around to making a couple different soups this weekend to freeze in individual containers. I used to do that all the time and loved having all those soups in the freezer, but I haven't done it for a couple years. Tomorrow will be laundry, cleaning, reading and napping. I have really made an effort lately to take one day on the weekend to NOT work.

B - oats with blueberries and chia seeds
    L - Dr. McD soup, apple and a smidge of PB
    D - going to splurge on a Boca Burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, spicy mustard on a sprouted grain bun, steamed broccoli, oven "fried" potatoes
  • ShredWeek1
    Options
    Mihani: Yep, I think isolation is the worst...and despite our hyperconnectivity, it seems that fewer Americans have real communities. My brother's death really made me think about how much community I have, and I concluded: not enough...so since his death I've made a real effort. Volunteering would be great....I think the guilt never really leaves you, even though we made repeated attempts to see my brother and to include him more in our family.

Also as a byproduct of his death, I've made it a conscious mission to be nicer to people. I'm pretty nice, but I think sometimes had someone reached out to my brother, had he had any connections in his life if he would have chosen to live.

I noticed how much I miss those incidental social interactions...talking to the grocery clerk, the barista, going to our favorite family restaurant, and I think that other people might find that the lack of those particularly difficult now.

• AustinRuadhain
    Options
    @magic71755
    I hope you had a lovely trip to Sprouts and found everything you were looking for. (Is it just me, or is grocery shopping an exciting outing these days?)

@bisky
    A Panda Planner is a calendar for planning your day, a planning aid.

Your story about your sister...as you say, it says something about her, not you.

Ohmygosh, you are SUPER funny. This made me laugh, and also, this is true of my husband and me. When I started eating differently, I had to have a big talk with him to get him to not bring certain items into the house at all, because he would forget that carton of Blue Bell in the freezer, and I never would (until I finished it.
    The difference between him and I: he forgot he bought the cookies several months ago. I have never forgotten or misplaced a package of cookies. They are going to a food bank with all the flour based pasta today.
    Side note - I did not know Oreos were frosted these days. One habit I never had was Oreos!

@Mihani
    Oh, oh, oh. I am so, so sorry about your friend. I do think this is being a hard year on many of us, for so many reasons. I am glad that he did not succeed and glad he is getting help. This sounds so very hard for you and all the people that care about him.

Thank you for he reminder about the Panda Planner and the 3 things, as I have dropped the ball the last couple of days. Like wacked out and scattered since Tuesday. I am holding on enough to eat okay, but am having trouble getting things done. So I am off to FINF the planner and get it back in rotation starting today. I can still do 3 things today!

@ShredWeek1
    I hope you keep working, remembering to be gentle with yourself about your brother. I had a very good friend who ended up needing psychiatric help, and got oh, so clear that there is only so much each of us can do.
    A big yes to missing little social interactions. Yes.

Hugs to all.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Shred, I miss the little interactions as well, and I seriously miss hugs!!!

Austin, I hope things settle down for you this week. I think my favorite things about the panda planner are the three things I'm grateful for and today's wins. It really helps to focus on some good things about my day. I try to spend a few minutes in the morning filling out the priorities, gratitudes and affirmation, then a few minutes at night for today's wins and how I'll improve tomorrow.

Going to get some things done around here today then I can relax and enjoy my clean house tonight, do some cooking and reading.
  • magic71755
    Options
    OH my goodness...so many things going on in your lives...and not great things. I am so sorry ...and sending hugs to all of you.

I am just way behind this morning...so just a quick hello and goodbye.

Way too much eating...so today I am going to try something different...still plants of course.

LOVE you guys and really and truly respect all of you, especially dealing with so much. Just wow!

Later, my friends.
  • magic71755
    Options
    At work now...man, I am having a terrible time getting out the door...always on time, but I used to be 30 minutes early...yikes. Now, about 10.

Today's Plan

avocado toast
    carrot/apple juice
    Amy's Frozen plant meal
    celery juice
    pomegranate arils
    carrot/apple juice

HOME...going to just get right into bed ...cuddle LULU and watch some dopey tv show.

The toast for breakfast...it's TEMPORARY.

Going to try and go to one meal a day...juice and fruit the rest...or juice, fruit and steamed veggies the rest.

I NEED TO GET MYSELF ON THE RIGHT PATH...this is a little severe...but I have to do something before my 12 COVID POUNDS TURNS INTO 20.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Magic... glad you're through the day and can relax and enjoy Lulu cuddles.

The house is clean, the laundry is done except one load of sheets in the dryer. I'm going to take a much needed shower and relax the rest of the day. I am getting ready to start the last of the Percy Jackson books. I have enjoyed these so much! Definitely recommend. Even if you are older (or in my case much older) than the target audience.

B - ezekiel english muffin with a smidge of PB
    L - nope, too busy on the house
    D - will be early since I didn't have lunch, and will be a boca burger on sprouted grain bun with lettuce and onion, side of steamed broccoli, a pear
  • magic71755
    Options
    Not home yet...off at 7.

But exciting news...Mommy Sally is in labor.. in touch with dog mom..

She will send pics when she can !

Lulu IS GETTING A SISTER!

We both need her!