This November I Will ...

Options
MadisonMolly2017
MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,034 Member
edited December 2020 in Social Groups
Welcome!!

🍎 For information on achieving our goals through tiny habit changes, please Google “BF Fogg.” He has some very short talks < 3 minutes and longer interviews.

The bottom line, habits trump motivation. Tiny habits give us confidence in our ability to be successful in changing our behavior which leads to more tiny habits which then leads to success.

zwfa7obp446j.jpeg

🍏 It's a brand new month! What's your favorite part of November?

What healthy habit would you like to work on this month? Is it something new or a continuation of your October focus? Whatever it is, let's dive in and make it happen!

🍐If you are new to our group, welcome! Please let us know what you will be working on and how we can help! Just a suggestion: set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on!

🍇You might frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This November I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.) An arm pump, saying “you did it! To yourself, stickers, hugging yourself...
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of November?

Optional:

Short form for tiny habits:
AFTER I ________________________
I WILL __________________________

Examples:
After I brush my teeth, I will floss one tooth.

After I drink my afternoon coffee, I will put on my walking shoes.

After I put away my breakfast dishes, I will prep 3 servings of vegetables for the day.

After I clean up after dinner, I will plan tomorrow’s dinner & move necessary items from freezer to refrigerator.

After I weigh myself in the morning, I will drink 2 cups of refreshingly cool water.

After I start my coffee brewing, I will stand on each leg for 30 seconds.

You get the idea!

#TinyHabitsWork

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Posting this here, too.

l9dtrd2y06tg.jpeg

Hi Friends!

Thinking of this organization of discussions for November:

1. The “This November I Will” strand where you post how your “I Will” (aka tiny habit change) is going. Receive support & recognition.

2. The “November Social Strand” for chatting about gardening, free motion stitching, and life in general!

Of course, we also have the on-going discussions:

The 2020 Move It Monday Challenge
    Declutterfest 2020 with a twist!
    Etc!

Hopefully this will help us target our behavior changes & also enjoy the great social interactions that have formed in the group.

Also, less overwhelming for newcomers!

Best,
    Maddie
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Love that first photo, @MadisonMolly2017! For some reason, it makes me feel more optimistic.

I'm continuing my October goal to take all my medicine daily. I didn't do that great in October.

Also, I started keeping a list (somewhat sporadically) of things I accomplish each day, no matter how small. I'd like to do this daily since I often feel like I've done nothing. I think it helps to look back and see what I've done, no matter how small.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    This month I will focus on gratitude.Thanksgiving and the month I will turn 65 seems like a particularly good time to work on a habit I’ve been meaning to get to.

I’ve set up my tracker for November, but I haven’t settled on the artwork for it yet.

1. This November I will start the day thinking of at least one thing for which I’m thankful.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will say one grateful thing before I get out of bed.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - getting up
    4. How often will you do your new habit - Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Smile
    6. What help do you need from us? Be my accountability posse 😊
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? I’ll be more grateful and have a more positive attitude
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Love that first photo, @MadisonMolly2017! For some reason, it makes me feel more optimistic.

I'm continuing my October goal to take all my medicine daily. I didn't do that great in October.

Also, I started keeping a list (somewhat sporadically) of things I accomplish each day, no matter how small. I'd like to do this daily since I often feel like I've done nothing. I think it helps to look back and see what I've done, no matter how small.

Thank you! I took that last Thursday!! Anything that lifts our spirits now!

Please remind me, do you have two regular things you do (your triggers) that you can attach your AM & PM meds?

Do you tend not to take the AM or PM more often?

I use a series of alarms in my phone for AM & PM to remind me to take kidney saving & very important to be timed correctly meds. I set the first alarm 30 mins before, 2nd 15 mins before, and another 15 mins after. The early ones are so I can cook & eat (as directed) prior to taking the meds.

Have you considered small rewards? They help when the hurdle seems higher!

Best,
    Maddie

P:S Sorry if I’ve mentioned these before.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    This month I will focus on gratitude.Thanksgiving and the month I will turn 65 seems like a particularly good time to work on a habit I’ve been meaning to get to.

I’ve set up my tracker for November, but I haven’t settled on the artwork for it yet.

1. This November I will start the day thinking of at least one thing for which I’m thankful.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will say one grateful thing before I get out of bed.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - getting up
    4. How often will you do your new habit - Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Smile
    6. What help do you need from us? Be my accountability posse 😊
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? I’ll be more grateful and have a more positive attitude

@77tes Perfecto! Consider jotting them down on a scrap of paper or the bottom of your tracker! The accumulation of them is really heart-warming!

💞Maddie

PS Happy Early Birthday! I’m following you in a few months!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Hi! I’ll jump in first because I’m too excited to wait😃

1. My goal for this month: This November I will sit on or stand by a piece of my exercise equipment in my basement and visualize for 3 minutes.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Watch the clock and make sure I go downstairs before noon.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: My other morning habits, I’ll just tack this one to them.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: every single day that I’m home.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.) An arm pump, saying “you did it! To yourself, stickers, hugging yourself... : This is always hard because for me because the real reward is the feeling of success when I keep my promise to myself.
    6. What help do you need from us? Be here and let me know that you’re working on your goals, too. And humor is always welcome😂
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November: I will be spending more time using my equipment and less time just wishing for results without doing any action!

I know this sounds super simple, but it’s supposed to be. One of my first goals (years ago) here was to stand in my sewing room for 1 minute every morning and visualize. Now it’s where I spend most of my days creating, learning, and working on a business plan. One tiny thing can snowball into something huge! And amazing!! Happy November 🦃

@nebslp
    Awesome approach!! Just getting ourselves to those machines is most of the battle !!

🎉
    Maddie
  • 77tes
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , great idea about jotting them down. I’ll do that!
  • PKM0515
    Options

Thank you! I took that last Thursday!! Anything that lifts our spirits now!

Please remind me, do you have two regular things you do (your triggers) that you can attach your AM & PM meds?

Do you tend not to take the AM or PM more often?

I use a series of alarms in my phone for AM & PM to remind me to take kidney saving & very important to be timed correctly meds. I set the first alarm 30 mins before, 2nd 15 mins before, and another 15 mins after. The early ones are so I can cook & eat (as directed) prior to taking the meds.

Have you considered small rewards? They help when the hurdle seems higher!

Best,
    Maddie

P:S Sorry if I’ve mentioned these before.

Thanks, Maddie! I appreciate the feedback.

I took all my meds and made my list today.

I guess my trigger is that I fill a clear, seven-day pill box once a week and leave it on the table where I should see it when I eat. I have a water glass right there too.

I'm supposed to take the medicine with food (breakfast and dinner), but my appetite has been very up and down lately.

I'd love some reward ideas. I think a weekly reward might be good to try.

For November, I think I'll just track on this thread (as long is it won't take up too much room):

11/1/20 = M 🌟, L 🌟
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    1. My goal for this month - This November I will do strength/weight training every other day.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - after dinner, I will get my weights out or drive to the gym.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - don’t turn on tv till weights are done.
    4. How often will you do your new habit - ever day after supper.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? - Stretching and adding this to my journal with a sticker.
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? A full month of workouts.
  • 77tes
    Options
    @PKM0515 , I suggest you do something immediately after each time you take your meds rather than waiting until the end of the week. A prize at the end of the week might be a good incentive, but an immediate celebration will help cement the habit.

I struggle with celebrations, too. I tried a fist pump, and it felt weird. I decided I prefer a smile, but I try to remember to smile every time. B.J. Fogg suggests you test a bunch of different celebrations. I think he has a list of 100 ways to celebrate, but I couldn't find a link.

Good going on Day 1. I hit my gratitude goal today, too. I'm a little worried that I'll forget as I wake in a stupor. I might put a reminder of some kind on my bedside table, but I don't want to clutter it. Hmmm, still thinking.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Thanks, @77tes! I'll have to give the rewards a bit more thought. I can't see myself fist pumping, smiling, etc. Maybe just taking a moment to look out the window. Or if I can find a list of affirmations or something like that, to read one.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Nice plan, @goingape! Someone must have hit that "Disagree" by accident. (I actually checked to make sure it wasn't me.) 😃
  • PKM0515
    Options
    >>>🍏 It's a brand new month! What's your favorite part of November?<<<

Normally, I would say the long Thanksgiving weekend, but this year I don't know. Also, I usually go to a really nice craft fair the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving, but I don't think they are having it this year.

I'd like to come up with a new "tradition" I can do on my own. Maybe I will make a favorite casserole that my Mom used to make (it's a broccoli rice dish).
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Nice plan, @goingape! Someone must have hit that "Disagree" by accident. (I actually checked to make sure it wasn't me.) 😃

Yes I checked it wasn’t me, too. If everyone could check, that would be awesome❣️
  • 77tes
    Options
    @goingape, strength training is a great goal. Every other day sounds like a good goal. Lucky that you have access to a gym!

I didn’t hit the disagree button either. I’m guessing someone wanted to hit the hug.

@PKM0515 , looking out the window could be a great celebration or an affirmation. 😊
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp I’ve done it myself, much to my horror. I will never post a disagree.

Agree position of button - and the whole concept- is rather uncool. 😎
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @nebslp, it's so easy to do by accident. NO need to feel embarrassed!

Hugs...
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 and PKM0515 😊
    @PKM0515 I think I will also post here daily for accountability as well. 3 min in workout room before noon= 💪🏻. I made a tracker that has daily, 3x/week, and 1x/week goals but it’s a bit much so I won’t post that right now. I used to feel like I didn’t get anything done, too. Keeping track pushed me to do so much more than I ever thought possible. It didn’t happen overnight, but now my days are more productive.

@goingape I think it’s starting to snowball for you already! Putting a sticker in your journal when meeting your new goal will reinforce your first one of writing every day😍 Great way to link them up!

@77tes what a great way to start your day! It will set the tone for whatever comes later. What about putting a picture of something/someone you love on your alarm and changing it out once in awhile?

@MadisonMolly2017 That picture is awesome!!! I didn’t realize photography was part of your artistic interests as well as mixed media, etc. That made me 😃.

November might be a tough month. My daughter and I are planning Zoom craft days with the kids (thank you for the idea, Maddie) to soften the blow of not having a traditional holiday. We have to find creative ways to stay connected during this social distancing time.