Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I have discovered over years of having the fructose intolerance that most commercial baked goods aren't worth the calories. Or I make it better at home. I've been doing a lot of banana muffins and breads because Boyfriend often has one or two bananas left over at the end of the week. I will say that adding cocoa to a banana muffin is a very very good thing. I highly recommend it.

I find that making my own pie crust is easier when I have a stand mixer to rub the fat into the flour, instead of having to cut it in by hand.

However, I may wait to do it Saturday as life is going to be interesting at the end of the week.

I went to the store today rather than tomorrow because I have an appointment with a general surgeon tomorrow at 9 am to discuss removal of the rest of my thyroid, which has developed a multinodular goiter and is making swallowing a little more difficult than normal. The endocrinologist referred me as she thinks it ought to come out. The surgeon will probably agree, and the only problem will be scheduling due to the pandemic. So we will see. At the moment I just have to chew a little more and drink more with my meals, so it's not a serious problem, and I can wait a few months if I need to.

Tomorrow at 4:30 pm Boyfriend has an interview for a full-time job making $130K a year. Which is pretty much exactly what we want and would solve all the problems that are solvable around here. It would be remote for now but even if they do want him on site later, we're 20 minutes from the main campus, so an easy commute.

Elder Son moved out, but will most likely be moving back in; he has just gotten a job about 10 minutes from the house welding for a company that does custom fabricating, and honestly we could probably take him to and from work since it's literally right around the corner, until he saves enough for a car of his own. $19 an hour full time, paid holidays and vacations, 401K. That is very decent money for this area.

And tomorrow noon my mother is visiting to go to lunch with me. It wouldn't surprise me if Elder Son came down with her with computer and clothes and moved back in. We'll probably do Mexican as the place round the corner not only does lengua tacos, but a few other things that we like. (Though I will probably have lengua tacos again cause they're so good!) I'll bring lunch home for Boyfriend and Girlfriend. I know what they like from there.

Thursday is going to be Chinese as usual, which is not a big deal as things are largely premade and can just be heated up, and even if I'm tired, I can shove the battered pork bits into the oven to warm through while I sit and do mindless things and get over the stress of going new places and meeting new people. (Autism is not always one's friend. Overtly I know it's no big deal. However, I'll still get all stressed about it anyway, cause it's how I'm wired.)

Friday is going to be patty melts and then beef and bean enchiladas for Boyfriend and Girlfriend, and taco salad for me.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Sometimes sharing what is going on helps…I know you will make it through the week and no one will ever go hungry at your house with those delicious meals you prepare!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Bits all day as so busy! Within calories, but not a satisfying day! Beans on Toast with cheddar tonight … toatal comfort food as knacked!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Still haven't made that chili (and the ingredients are growing as I pick up novel veggies to add whenever I go to the grocery store... :D Last night ended up being a frozen Amy's vegetarian Pad Thai. It was a bit of a let down. Tasty, but too sweet and not very filling for 410 calories.

Tonight???? CHILI

Today??? scrambled eggs on kale, brussel sprouts, asparagus, carrot and grape tomatoes (aiming for Bella's eating the rainbow)...going to add that one to my checkin goal tomorrow.

And goodness only know what else because today and tomorrow are two more absolutely nutty work days. Hopefully nothing too bad.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Not sure if post made it or not: not seeing it! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Did some very mean person mentioned the word fry bread the other day? 🙀 I think so!

And what do you think happens when someone has never tried fry bread and they stop in a random Indian band run traveler center / gas station near Crowsnest pass in discover that they have fry bread and limits on how many walk-ins can order?

So two regular (savory) fry bread, and two humongous sweet ones--one with Saskatoon berries and one with a more garden variety Apple pie topping--and you had two people in an almost food coma driving for the next few hours!

We then hooked up with dad who, of course, wanted to head out for dinner.... so cccgg and i shared a salad and steak ❣️ I admit that when the place actually has real quality Alberta steak... it is good and I forget that I would rather eat veggies! 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Ah - fry bread. Had some on a trip through Arizona and Utah on Navajo reservations. Probably similar to what you had on your trip. Don’t be tempted to look up online recipes or even the premodern mixes on Amazon. Dangerous territory there.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Fry Bread - had to google that ….. sounds lush, but too much!
    More beef caserole tonight as made in big batch on Monday & off out to the cinema tonight with the girls
    Have calories left for popcorn!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Much as the Costco type muffins were not worth the calories, the fry bread was... worth it! Sufficiently so that when Ms Google does a time / distance comparison that comes close but includes the fry bread location... I might just head back through there in spite of the drive's lesser view-points! (Crowsnest pass fry bread ❣️ versus Banff-Windermere Parkway view❣️)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I find it easier to have generally the same breakfast and supper every day. Lunch is the variety zone. I know the calories I have to work with then. Usually there’s leeway for snacks later. Boring sometimes but ....
    Today taking son to lunch at a middle eastern buffet restaurant for his birthday. Much as I’ll try, there will be much high calorie tasting and munching. Likely no supper tonight and accept the overage today. 🥺
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I am going to an Italian restaurant with my daughter and grands for lunch….last time we went I had the chopped Italian salad and it wasn’t too high in calories…dinner is undecided….
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    I had a bacon butty for breakfast and a ham, english mustard and salad roll for lunch...that's a lot of bread. Must try to avoid bread for dinner....I know, I think I'll have a jacket potato with tuna and salad...

Enjoy your lunch @conniewilkins56!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Bacon butty?
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Bacon butty?

Googling this, it says that..

Depending on where you are in the UK, a sandwich made from a bread roll will have a different name, and the survey found that in the south of England bacon bap or roll was the most common, which in the north west of the country, is called a bacon barm. The Midlands meanwhile opt for cob. North of the border in Scotland, it’s called a bacon bridie, buttery or rowie. Butty is a British colloquialism for any kind of buttered sandwich, particularly if the filling is a hot one, such as bacon or even better, a chip (French fry) butty.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    Mmmm chip butty!

Yep, Google is right. Cold sandwiches are usually just sandwiches or sarnies (do you want a cheese sandwich?) but a hot bacon sandwich is usually called a bacon butty, and chips sandwiched between bread is ALWAYS called a chip butty, regardless of how posh you are or whereabouts in the UK you live.

• Yoolypr
    Options
    Wow - whole culinary adventures to explore. Maybe one day soon I can actually visit the UK instead of just running through Heathrow airport.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Buttys could be go to three times a day....last night- still in my overworked, over carbohydrated stupor - I finished off the day by warming up left over naan bread in a frying pan, generously buttering them and slathering on some honey. They were so drippy and warm and comforting. Not going to weigh myself any time soon. :#
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Today's menu shall be different!

Started off with tea, brazil nuts and a quarter of a pomegranate

Going to have a good walk in the rain and come back to collagen ( :p ), clementines and a kiwi

Lunch will be scrambled eggs with a sprinkle of feta, asparagus, baby grape tomatoes, roasted sweet potato wedges

Supper - lol - not sure - maybe some green soup? and cottage cheese - yup - all mixed up together :D

I will wrap up today with some 0% greek, berries, walnuts and banana slices (that baby is sitting on my table and will be perfect come this evening, just shifting from green to a lovely pale yellow!!!)

Written out here this sounds like a tremendous amount of food. I'm looking forward to every bit of it. Maybe tomorrow my brain fog will be lifting a bit?

Can't wait to read what you all are nourishing your bodies with today.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I went to the produce market early and found some gorgeous tomatoes,strawberries,corn on the cob, an orange dark chocolate bar,peppers,radishes,oatmeal raison cookies, celery, and black bean hummus….also a bottle of home made bbq sauce….now, what to make?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Can't wait to hear....I can feel those tomatoes, corn, hummus and bbq sauce dancing together (but not touching - like a formal Victorian waltz)....