Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Tonight is dry-brined garlic pork tenderloin (making 2 for the 3 of us, because I like the leftovers cold for work lunches and my grown son will eat leftover pork as well). Adding air-fryer roaster potatoes.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    Interesting re the disappearing trick. That's what I was after when trying for alternate brownies!

In the pasta/rice substitute front, personally I'm going for thet opposite a bit.

in that I like having the bite factor. It initially takes a moment to drop the expectation that it will taste like a pasta noodle. But then for me it becomes a sauce pickup vehicle that I can twirl in my fork. And since I actually enjoy the taste of most veggies (maybe because of exposure therapy!!🤣) it is fun to have
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,618 Member
    Options
    I haven't had those alternate sauce pick up vehicles in a while. But on the same front I haven't had the sauce needing a pick up vehicle. That sounds like it might be fun!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    edited March 29
    Options
    Tonight was my husband's birthday. I picked up some cupcakes from a local bakery this morning, then made chicken fajitas for dinner.

I had mine as a salad. 2oz roasted/seasoned chicken thigh, shredded Iceburg lettuce, half serving each of: light sour cream, shredded Mexican blend cheese, and guacamole, drizzle of taco sauce and about 1oz of sauteed peppers and onions.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    On a completely different trajectory :lol: I washed down the remainder of my 750g of veggies with a pouch of betty crocker garlic mash which even with the addition of greek yogurt, chili seasoning and laughing cow cheese.... all came to less than 700 cal... even when we include the veggies that were missing from the 750g! which of course allowed for the adequate consumption of brookside 20.5g on average pouches :wink:

That said... HAPPY BIRTHDAY in the Flying Circus household!!!!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I don’t know PAV - are the mashed potatoes, cheeses, veggies all stirred together? Maybe layers? I’m thinking it might not be bad layered and put in the oven to brown up a bit. Somehow though I think you went the quick route and just stirred. 😜
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Or...if PAV "washed the veggies down" maybe first the veggies - then the mashed potatoes mixed with fermented laughing cows?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Italian Veggie and Mashed Potato Bake

The Italian Veggie and Mashed Potato Bake is a delightful fusion of Mediterranean flavors and comfort food.

Picture this: layers of creamy mashed potatoes, vibrant mixed Italian veggies, and a surprise twist of tangy Greek yogurt—all baked to perfection.

Here’s what you can expect:

Layers of Goodness: Start with a base of velvety mashed potatoes, providing the ultimate comfort. On top of that, we arrange a colorful medley of Italian veggies—yellow and orange carrots, zucchini, green beans, red bell peppers—perfectly sliced and bursting with flavor.

Creamy Cheese Infusion: Our secret ingredient? The Laughing Cow Cheese wedges! They melt into the bake, creating pockets of creamy goodness that’ll make your taste buds dance.

Tangy Yogurt Drizzle: To balance the richness, we drizzle a blend of Greek yogurt and olive oil over the top. The yogurt adds a refreshing tang, elevating the dish to gourmet status.

Herbaceous Garnish: Fresh basil leaves crown this masterpiece, infusing it with a fragrant aroma. It’s like a mini herb garden on your plate.

Oven-Baked Perfection: We bake it until the veggies are tender, the cheese is gooey, and the flavors meld together harmoniously.

The result? A symphony of taste and texture.

Pairing Suggestions: Enjoy this hearty bake with a glass of chilled white wine or sparkling water. It’s a meal that warms your soul and satisfies your cravings.

Buon appetito! 🍽️🌿🧀
  • PAV8888
    edited March 29
    Options
    Well there were coke Zero, 0.6g of oil, 80g Greek yogurt and 2.2g of spices, 114g garlic mashed granules, 15.6g laughing cow wedge, and about half the 751g of Italian veggies, plus awesome quality boiled water! 🤣
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV - you are just perfection :)

Was the colourful medley of Italian vegetables cooked before arranging? Or straight from the garden to the base of velvety mashed potatoes?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    :po:)B)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Your veggie bake is a thing of beauty! I underestimated you PAV.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Tonight is dry-brined garlic pork tenderloin (making 2 for the 3 of us, because I like the leftovers cold for work lunches and my grown son will eat leftover pork as well). Adding air-fryer roaster potatoes.

Ya know... this sounds interesting esp if it can be eaten cold too.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Ya know... this sounds interesting esp if it can be eaten cold too.

Its actually fantastic cold. I eat it with a little light mayo and dijon, also great in a sandwhich
  • PAV8888
    edited March 30
    Options
    Farmstead Fusion Casserole!
    In the heart of your cozy kitchen, you too can embark on this culinary quest just like I did this morning!

A quest for flavor, for comfort, for that elusive umami whisper that beckons from the depths of your soul!

With a flourish, you too can reach out for a humble glass-lock container: its clear walls a ready canvas for our joint culinary dream!

The Stove-Top Sonata
    Summon the spirits of ancient grains—stove-top stuffing, they call it. With a dash of water and a pat of butter, you too can conjure forth a symphony of carb-laden nostalgia. The stuffing cradles your hopes, like a warm hug from Grandma after a long day of dragon-slaying!

The Riced Veggie Ballet
    Next, the riced perfection: humble cauliflower, verdant broccoli, and yellow and orange sunsets captured in the root form of yellow and orange carrots.

Guardians of antioxidants, defenders of fiber, their frozen forms thawed in a furnace of contained lightning, revealing in the embers delicate rice-shaped embraces of sun-kissed fields. Oh, how they twirl and twist, each bite promising both virtue and vitamins, as if the veggie gods themselves have bestowed their blessings to our venture!

The Gravy Overture
    And now, the pièce de résistance—the gravy! From a mysterious dry mix, you too can coax forth a velvety elixir. Cascade it over the entire composition, a golden river of 104.3 Calories of savory indulgence.

Your glass-lock container can now sigh with satisfaction, its glassy sides fogging with the anticipation of your first bite!

At "only" 815.57 Cal you too can conjure this "masterpiece" ”from scratch😵‍💫": bag of riced veggies, box of stove-top stuffing, 11g of butter, and a pouch of gravy! And don't forget the 500g of awesomely boiling water!

kyn1x831k4o4.png
    Go forth my MFP friends and enjoy!

*poetry suggestions by ChatGPT; seriously heavy editing required.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    If I can get up soonish, I will be making some chicken burgers (no bun). The patties will be ground chicken, feta, and spinach served with tzatziki and sliced tomatoes. Then a box of pasta roni on the side.
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 30
    Options
    Ah PAV what a lovely culinary epistle! Shakespeare would be jealous. Have you tried tuna muffins made with canned tuna and stove top stuffing? You could do the veggies on the side.

Athijade- I hope your chicken burgers turned out well and you were able enjoy them without too much pain.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 30
    Options
    Nope nope never have. Seriously works with canned tuna???????🤯

Go Jade! You're feeling better!!!💪
  • Yoolypr
    edited March 30
    Options
    https://www.copymethat.com/r/RLiIHoJdf/tiny-tuna-delights/?is_macua_ios=1

I use low fat mayo and no cheese. I think Greek yogurt might work instead of mayo. Makes a bunch and can be frozen. Bake at 350 -375F for about 20-30 minutes. The tops should be browned. Oh - spray the muffin cups with cooking spray to prevent sticking.

Cheap house brand stuffing mix works just as well.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    ah. stove top and gravy were on sale due to Easter... both together they came in at about US$1.40

Have you made this fishy concoction? Calorie wise I'm eye balling it at about 1000 Cal probably with yogurt and laughing cow. Maybe a bit more?

The link doesn't have instructions (can't seem to find the recipe at Kraft)... but basically mix everything together and put in muffin tray and bake?