Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Was definitely maintenance day yesterday. But actually not (much if at all) over. But IFFY choices for sure!

Err... it is the "call of the Costco" sort of like wolves howling in the dark snowy Alaskan night... or something like that.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yooly IS perceptive, however. They most certainly have a good number of aisles devoted to anti-weight-management! :lol:
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 16
    Options
    Baked Potatoes! 😍😚🤪 miss them! With baked beans & cheese ….280g spud would be a wapping 50g of carbs! 3/4 of my recommended daily amount! Inspired me to look at other, lower carb alternatives - butternut squash sounds like supper tonight!

Supper last night was one pot garlic chicken using the Sunday Roast leftovers -was 577 kcals - so had 1/2.
    This is such a good, tasty dish - thought I’d share it.
    Can be found at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/one-pot-garlic-chicken?dicbo=v2-rcRintc
  • PAV8888
    Options
    checking it out... I admit that one of my "go-to" fast foods is an out-take of the "stuffed jacket potato". If low on calories Wendy's plain baked potato with small chili (on top). If a few more Calories are available Wendy's sour cream and chives or large chili on top (with some on the side) or both become options!
  • Creamtea42
    edited April 17
    Options
    Parsnip & celeriac mash with cheddar and parmesan topping - with broad, & french beans, carrots and peas. Going to be a “ windy evening…😶‍🌫️ 😳

- celeriac needed eating up & it was ok - made it creamier using 200mls whole milk, 30g butter, 30g of cheddar and 30g Parmesan. 20g chopped almondson top was an afterthought. Cauliflower instead of celeriac .. or swede? Bacon lardens next time?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,627 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, Creamtea!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    I’ve had parsnips only once or twice - not readily available here and those are sub par. No celeriac. Couldn’t begin to find that.
    Almondson and Swede are a complete mystery to me. Who knew British food was so exotic?
  • Creamtea42
    Options

Good Morning - frosty & cold here first thing - it’s mid April… hurry up sunshine!
    Breakfast is porridge to keep the cats of out - with stewed plums….

Hi Yooly
    Hope you & OH are enjoying your holiday - lovely pic - you are a handsome couple x

Re the “Almondson - was meant to read “almonds on top” - only exotic thing was the thought to put them in the dish! 😁

Swede is defo not exotic here -really commonly farmed -boiled, seasoned with white pepper &, of course, butter & is often paired / mixed with potato mash. Is delish…, Scots called it “neeps” & eat with Haggis.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    To share my "lovely" food day:

Lemon sugar-Free Pudding fortified with unflavored protein powder.

Clear whey protein drink (mixed berry, wasn't great, won't have that flavor again)

Yoplait peach "dairy snack" (not sure why it's labeled that vs yogurt)

Fairlife chocolate protein milk.

80g protein. Uninspired as hell.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Don’t know how you can function Nic! You might be getting required calories but it can’t be fun.

Swedes- definitely not folks from Sweden! I googled it. Rutabaga or turnip. Still not common here. Root vegetables aren’t very popular in central Texas. Mainly we get carrots and potatoes and sweet potatoes.

However we do have lots of tropical foods - avocado, papayas, jicama, plantain, mangoes, limes, tomatillo…..
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I made chicken hibachi bowls last night (and will eat leftovers tonight). So rice, teriyaki chicken and mushrooms, and stir fried zucchini and onions. Topped with a bit of yum yum sauce (that pink sauce you get at the hibachi restaurant). A little too much sauce. I went to add a bit more and the cat hit my arm and... yea. Kind of a mess lol.

Super filling though and easy to make. I also love the flexibility with proteins and veggies that can be used in it.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 18
    Options
    celery root and rutabagas should be available in Texas Ms @Yoolypr
    I see you gave Ms Google a workout though!

Never figured out what to do with plantains... they do show up and so does jicama (which as far as remember involves cutting which as far as I remember places my little fingers in danger so is best avoided!!!)... and tomatillos LOOK interesting... but...

Ultimately today I pulled a suitable for Laurie :wink: pre-test and shoved 508g of riced california mix (or real california mix I suppose--since it would cost less and be the same nutritionally) into NUKE-CITY and then added TWO pouches of indian potato curry (585g)... whole thing less than 800 Cal and it even gets ME more than one meal!

Bad news.... cadbury mini eggs are NOT consistently filled... and Walmart pulled a sale fake (well they were still on sale but really... if that was 75% off they were WAY overpriced... so fakers!). Claimed weight 33g. But they've ranged from 28g to 45g!
  • Creamtea42
    Options
    To share my "lovely" food day……80g protein. Uninspired as hell.

Oh G*d Nic…..
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I think your cooking companion @Athijade is NOT suitable for kitchen counters... just saying!

Of course... that BUTT that was curled on the pillow next to my head last night also leaves something to be desired! Just saying... again! :confounded:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Today's menu:

Sugar-free butterscotch pudding fortified with unflavored protein powder.

Pink lemonade clear protein drink.

Mixed berry "dairy snack"

Fairlife chocolate protein milk

83g protein.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 18
    Options
    I would still like to try your sugar free lemon pudding mix @nicsflyingcircus

But we don't seem to have it here
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I would still like to try your sugar free lemon pudding mix @nicsflyingcircus

But we don't seem to have it here

Strangely enough I get both the butterscotch and lemon (my two faves) in store brand, because Jello brand doesn't have them in sugar-free.

I could mail you a couple packs, lol.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,627 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious, PAV. More details on curried potato????

Ah, Nic, :(

I love the Hibachi bowl idea, Athijade. Haven't pulled that together in awhile. Might be time!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    tasty bite bombay potatoes I'm sure you could do it WAY better and cheaper on your own but that's what it was. picked it up at walmart though I had first seen the brand at choices years ago.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    So many restaurants and bad choices in Seattle! We leave tomorrow morning. Back to more veggies 🥗. I’m fearing the bathroom scale! 😱