Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    PAV your dinner sounds really good!….I ended up having a piece of leftover chuck roast on flatbread and a salad!…not in the mood to be creative today…
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    A rainbowtastic lunch! 🌈🌈🌈tlxhhtdcs3ls.jpeg
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You MADE the egg salad salad with your deviled egg recipe!!!! :wink:

Laurie your dinner sounds good!

It also sounds as if you need to have a chat with your hamsters and see where you want to be.

The biggest health dividend is in the bag, already as soon as we moved from our 35's and 40's and more to BMI's below 27 (mid-point overweight) and even more so once in the 25s... the elephant in any of our rooms is not moving forward but avoiding a large regain! And remember that the biggest predictor for continuing to maintain a large loss is... are you ready? Maintaining the large loss for longer and longer :wink: Odds of continuing to maintain increase at the 6 month, 1 year, 2 year, and by the five year mark of maintenance we're at better than even odds of continuing to maintain!

I have no issues with concentrating on small incremental improvements both as a goal and as a distraction over the good one or two(+) years that it is likely to take for things to get back to normal and for brains and hormones to catch up with drastic losses. I mean... heck... that's exactly what I did!

But the big payoff is that by trying to move forward we're not backsliding... right? Regardless of whether we actually move forward even a tiny bit!

So, if frustration at lack of additional progress causes back-sliding that's the exact opposite of what we want!

The reframing is that by focusing on moving forward you're not backsliding and that by itself is victory. Additional loss is bonus; but lack of additional loss should not be frustration inducing!

Otherwise I am going to channel Novus and suggest you should try to make things easier and more sustainable... remember: there is no real end coming up! It's not like tomorrow we get to BMI 22 and stop having to manage our weight because we got to goal!

Maybe I'm being cryptic and all that, or off the mark? I can attempt this again when I am not sleep deprived... sleep is a really good goal, yes! Maybe I should join into the goal setting! :wink:

But I am a bit concerned in that I am hearing about a "fight" as opposed to hearing about an "easy" "normal"

Hello! I’m sorry I can’t be around & contributing to the threads at the mo….. found myself getting too twound up in logging & musing, and feel like I was losing my focus.
    Was I getting fixated & frustrated by the scales & lack of success. those daily calories to try to harness & control …pressures…& pains…of earning extras to stay in green at the end of the day? Think so …..This’ll be me wrestling with my hamsters I presume? 😆
    So I have gone cold turkey & come off social media till this - yep no tweets or booking! Just me! Odd way to be in 2021 right?
    However, I have been browsing - snooping?- in the background and am right with you all in spirit …..
    And this wise post is resonating with me …. Not sure totally why as I’m not a maintainer or even a near maintainer … and still a long way to go & progress is soooooo slow!
    So I am just trying to keep on focusing on logging, but I’m reading this community’s posts. (You don’t get rid of me that easily ……)
    I am nodding along with you all, salivating at all … well most … of your suppers (😳🤭🙄😵‍💫😋), celebrating the good & commiserating with the bad.
    After a good start , I think I am now moving milimetres forwards rather than feeling it’s getting out of control … well on most days …
    …..Not sure why my pea brain can’t log, join in without it triggering some odd eating behaviours?
    So forgive me, I am …and am not… here!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,614 Member
    Options
    Despite the cow bits - that sounds pretty tasty, PAV.

I'm aiming for my egg & veggie lunch/brunch - the most important thing in my day it seems.

I like logging in here, because I tend to start with no supper plan but then feel compelled to at least come up with a good possibility while I'm here.

I'm thinking something simple - I have half a basket of yellow string beans from the farmer's market - so maybe those with some of those lovely multi-coloured little gem potatoes and ??? for protein - maybe go for simple - some black beans for protein (with maybe some diced peppers on top - maybe some scallions too? - tomatoes? - like a raw chili? This is starting to sound a bit exciting!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Laurie this sounds good. I think you need exotic things like seitan or Quorn! I always find beans too many calories for their protein; but that's me and i haven't really looked at them carefully. Peas are my personal favourite over beans for sure 😋

Bella you take your rainbows seriously. This is verging on the artistic. No, it IS artistic❣️

@Janatki glad you're lurking and of course trying yogurt mustard sweet pickle based potato salad (did I mention the smoke paprika on top for color completion? 😉)--and all conveniently labeled as Connie's❣️idea.

I'm hoping your supervisor 🐹 hamster orchestrator will get all the other hamsters pulling in the same direction.. or at the very least quiet!

Late night = 40g Smarties (the Canadian/UK chocolate ones, 4 treat size boxes), one riesen, 50g scorching hot crackers, and two jalapeno laughing cows, plus 180g cherries! Could have had a dinner! Or sleep.

Today and tomorrow are crap. 3 min short of 4 hour sleep. Office 2013 forgot its number and I can't find the card. Dad desktop still not working. setting him up on my laptop and leaving it. Grabbed another using most of my points yesterday and have been setting it up. Trying to wrap things up here today. 7am flight out. Eeeek 🤯
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You astonish me, PAV, with how you much you keep up in the air at one time! I so appreciate the wisdom and experience ( B) don't deny it) you find time to share with us here.

I'm trying to move out of the world of meat replacements - to their more basic components. Beans is the easiest one - and legumes, and though they don't pack much excitement into their calories - I do find they are pretty satiating.

I have yet to try the fermented fungus - Quorn. I've never seen it in Canada? Not sure if it is available here yet?

I know they are healthier versions of "processed" foods - but I really do like the simplicity of building meals (cooking ? lol) from scratch.

But those darned veggie sausages - both the soy based and the wheat based - keep nudging their way back into my life - all year! - they are so tasty. But I didn't miss them before, and they do bring lots of sodium not to mention expense that I could probably live without.

So I will try to resist.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Lunch today is going to be pulled pork on a bun, which is nice and easy after going to three different grocery stores. (sigh)

Dinner tonight is orange pork, and Son will have sweet and sour pork because I have sweet and sour sauce for him frozen in a little packet. He doesn't like any of the sauces that have a ginger/red pepper component. I didn't either when I was in my twenties, so fair enough. This will be paired with white rice (I make it up and freeze it in two ounce portions) and mixed Asian vegetables from frozen. Boyfriend eats his over the veggies, Girlfriend eats hers over the veggies and rice, I eat mine over the rice alone. So it's not so much three different meals as different assembling of components.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Work got the better of me yesterday and ate up my inspiration. So supper included veggie dogs and bbq sauce :) instead of black beans and diced peppers and tomatoes.

Or maybe I was just missing the Boy?

There is no reason for the package of veggie dogs to be in my fridge. I buy them for "him" :D

Well once they are gone I won't buy them again until he is back in this part of the country...except of course....he will probably be back not longer after I finish these.

Brunch today - eggs & veggies.

Supper - I pulled out a container of frozen chili (I think - it looks very similar to the pasta sauce - and hard to smell the different spicing when it is frozen) over riced cauliflower.

That should leave plenty of calories for a cottage cheese and frozen blueberry & almonds snack!

I know I'm back in the groove when I'm honestly excited about that snack! And I am <3

• Bella_Figura
    Options
    Yay @lauriekallis, the groove rocks! Glad you managed to find your way back!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sounds good out there! Looking to you WestJet to overcome the ground crew limitations that are adding hours so far!

Note to self. If there's no Wednesday flight then Thursdays flight is going to be kitten full. Pre, post, or anytime I've never seen this commuter plane more full. I'm surprised they didn't sell the flight attendant seat too! it's not as if she sat down at all.

Alexandra:s combination sounds good, and Laurie's sounding better... so all good!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Lean burgers ( 4 oz. 170 calories ) on nice soft hamburger buns and air fryer baked potatoes with a salad….hanging on by my fingernails…hour by hour…..
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Today's food wasn't novel, but I enjoyed it!

Pre-breakfast: A Rich Tea finger biscuit (23 cals) because I felt clammy and sick when I bent over to lace my shoes before taking the dog for a walk. An emergency Rich Tea is reliably restorative!

Breakfast: The usual. 75g slice of malted granary bread with 20g Pip & Nut peanut butter and 2 mugs of builders tea. Let it not be said I'm not a creature of habit.

Lunch: 2 air fried pork sausages and mixed salad leaves made into a butty with 72g of lightly toasted ciabatta

Dinner: Wholemeal pitta, 75g homemade falafel balls, 40g homemade houmous, a rainbow salad, fresh lemon juice and a generous dollop of sriracha to liven up the tastebuds.

Snack: Calories are tight but I may have some Fage 0% greek yoghurt and the fresh blackberries that I picked on my afternoon dog walk.
  • Goodgollygee
    Goodgollygee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Tonight I was really hungry and got home late so I wanted something quick and easy (I really wanted take out but I resisted and patted myself mentally on the back on my way in the door). Instead I threw a tbsp of olive oil in a fry pan, chopped up a green pepper, a tomatoe, part of a giant zucchini, maybe a cup and threw them in on medium heat. I had a small leftover potatoe and 1/2 a cup of garbanzo beans in the fridge, so I threw those in too. Sprinkled some garlic powder, dry onion and a pinch of pepper. Sprinkled a bit of parm and put the lid on for about 5 min. Then I poured in a few egg whites (I buy the carton of just plain egg whites). Cooked for another 5 min and voila! It was really tasty and filling. Along with a fruit and a small, home made - low sugar pumpkin muffin....I was very satisfied.

One thing I've been doing... when I make chili or specific flavours eg. Asian or Greek... I make my own spice mix. If you read the labels on these packets- they are mostly salt/sodium or at least, it is often listed very high up on the ingredient list. So I do a killer --chili spice, for instance-- with much less, if any salt. Salt is a killer.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That is my kind of cooking, @goodgollygee!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    That is my kind of cooking, @goodgollygee!

I knew you and PAV would love this lol
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    :p

• PAV8888
    Options
    That sounds awesome... see, Connie, egg whites for the win!, and did I notice a new addition to #team sriracha?

Make that TWO additions to the team, since I spotted rainbow colorful Bella joining in?

And what's this about tea? Have I ever mentioned that in the early 60's my mom (known at the time as "that foreign lady with the *kitten* lion) was living in Bristol and had adopted a *supersized* golden retriever? Bruno expected a pot-o-tea, promptly, at 5:00pm every day!?!?!?!?! Yes. Darjeeling black. No cookies. He came that way!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Not much variety today (what a shocker!):

Breakfast: 100g 0% Fage greek yoghurt with 100g fresh blackberries and 30g Weetabix Crunchy Bran. 2 mugs of builder's tea

Lunch: Similar to yesterday's dinner. A wholemeal pitta stuffed with 40g homemade houmous, a dollop of sriracha and a lemon-drenched rainbow salad.

Dinner: Homemade burger served with pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion & relish in a sesame-seed bun, with 100g McCain oven chips and another (small) rainbow salad.

Post exercise snack: 1 homemade protein ball (yum!) and 100g Fage yoghurt, last of the blackberries (60g) and 5g honey.

@PAV8888, my border terrier (Norman) prefers builder's tea to Darjeeling. At a push he'll begrudgingly drink English Breakfast, but plain old builders-tea-strong-enough-to-stand-a-spoon-in is his tipple of choice.

If I recall correctly @Janatki is partial to a bit of sriracha too...
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    No @Bella_Figura… sriracha … just no 🤮🤯🤯🤯 Nice cool garlic mayo or sour cream & chives please
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV our dog likes Diet Pepsi!….no, I don’t give it to her, we catch her in it on occasion….

Dinner tonight was a fast food burger for husband after he got 8 injections in his spine and hadn’t eaten all day….I am having refried black bean enchiladas with a salad….