Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    ....snack tonight is rice cakes with peanut butter and sliced oranges!

How do you find rice cakes as far as triggering?

Because it is so cold out here and I've managed to maintain my walking, my fingertips are so dry that they are splitting and I have bandaids on half of them. I'm trying to bump up my fat because I think that might help? And peanut butter is my go to. But I've cut out crackers again, and bread...because they just set me up for some crazy cravings. So I've been eating a spoonful of peanut butter here and there - and although that is pretty delicious actually - it would be fun to have something crunchy and sit down with it like a snack, with a cup of tea, rather than popping all those calories into my mouth and barely enjoying them. But I'm just back on track and I don't want to introduce something new that sends my gut back into the DEMANDING state it was in after the holidays.

I have dry skin anyway and the winters are worse on it, and my answer for it is coconut oil applied externally with hot water. AKA, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a bath that is almost too hot, get in, rub all over yourself. I use it on my hip-length straight hair too. The only downside to it is having to clean the bathtub when you're done (grin)

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter but I don’t LOVE it!...same with ice cream....I love the caramel rice cakes plain, too...

I think some really good hand lotion or gloves might help your fingers!...or vaseline!

The mini vanilla wafers are good with peanut butter!.

I like celery in tuna salad!

I've spent a fortune on lotion and have some fantastic mittens - so much warmer than gloves. But have read bumping up the fat uptake might help.

I'm not going anywhere near vanilla wafers - that combination of wheat and sweet will probably throw me off track for at least week! But I might try the plain rice cakes...next week...not willing to take any chances just yet when things have been going fairly well and maintaining a deficit hasn't felt too difficult.

@MuttiNM Yes - I've eaten it with apples and celery, both are good, but not quite a replacement for bread/crackers. I'm going to give the plain rice cakes a whirl next week and cross my fingers. :)

I'm looking for something that feels satisfying and will serve as a staple/go to for the rest of my life, rather than being part of the craving/binge triggering bandwagon. I'm hoping if the everyday stuff is kinda of safe and neutral, the occasional treat won't have quite us much strength to throw me off course?

I'm counting out wheat at the moment...maybe rice will do the trick? I'll report back mid-month. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    What about making a peanut butter/yoghurt bark? https://www.self.com/recipe/peanut-butter-yogurt-bark

You could probably forego the honey in the recipe and use full fat greek yoghurt to bump your fat (And protein) up a bit more too.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    What about making a peanut butter/yoghurt bark? https://www.self.com/recipe/peanut-butter-yogurt-bark

You could probably forego the honey in the recipe and use full fat greek yoghurt to bump your fat (And protein) up a bit more too.

OMG that bark looks amazing!...I don’t think I better make it....that really looks delicious!....

Btw have you seen Novus posting anywhere?....
  • lauriekallis
    Options

WOW!!!! This looks fantastic! As you suggested, I will probably forego the honey and use plain greek yoghurt - because the less sweetener I eat the more I taste the sweetness in other things. And...I could throw some whole almonds in there sometimes? or some other nuts! I love it!

Being part of this group is so wonderful. This will be so much more fun and excitement than eating a spoonful of peanut butter!
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter but I don’t LOVE it!...same with ice cream....I love the caramel rice cakes plain, too...

I think some really good hand lotion or gloves might help your fingers!...or vaseline!

The mini vanilla wafers are good with peanut butter!.

I like celery in tuna salad!

I've spent a fortune on lotion and have some fantastic mittens - so much warmer than gloves. But have read bumping up the fat uptake might help.

I'm not going anywhere near vanilla wafers - that combination of wheat and sweet will probably throw me off track for at least week! But I might try the plain rice cakes...next week...not willing to take any chances just yet when things have been going fairly well and maintaining a deficit hasn't felt too difficult.

@MuttiNM Yes - I've eaten it with apples and celery, both are good, but not quite a replacement for bread/crackers. I'm going to give the plain rice cakes a whirl next week and cross my fingers. :)

I'm looking for something that feels satisfying and will serve as a staple/go to for the rest of my life, rather than being part of the craving/binge triggering bandwagon. I'm hoping if the everyday stuff is kinda of safe and neutral, the occasional treat won't have quite us much strength to throw me off course?

I'm counting out wheat at the moment...maybe rice will do the trick? I'll report back mid-month. :)

One of my new favorite snacks are the lightly salted plain rice cakes with peanut butter spread on top of it! I buy the no sodium/added sugar organic peanut butter, so, it's not as sweet as regular peanut butter. But it doesn't really trigger anything for me, hunger/craving wise, but I also don't get triggered by carbs (I think I do by sugar, but I got rid of as much sugar as I could back in June).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    ....snack tonight is rice cakes with peanut butter and sliced oranges!

How do you find rice cakes as far as triggering?

Because it is so cold out here and I've managed to maintain my walking, my fingertips are so dry that they are splitting and I have bandaids on half of them. I'm trying to bump up my fat because I think that might help? And peanut butter is my go to. But I've cut out crackers again, and bread...because they just set me up for some crazy cravings. So I've been eating a spoonful of peanut butter here and there - and although that is pretty delicious actually - it would be fun to have something crunchy and sit down with it like a snack, with a cup of tea, rather than popping all those calories into my mouth and barely enjoying them. But I'm just back on track and I don't want to introduce something new that sends my gut back into the DEMANDING state it was in after the holidays.

I have dry skin anyway and the winters are worse on it, and my answer for it is coconut oil applied externally with hot water. AKA, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a bath that is almost too hot, get in, rub all over yourself. I use it on my hip-length straight hair too. The only downside to it is having to clean the bathtub when you're done (grin)

Hot water is actually really drying. Nursing school teaches to wash in cool to barely warm water to avoid cracking.
  • lauriekallis
    Options

I love coconut oil - I regularly use a dab on my hands and every month or so in my hair. Not in the bath though - I just would hate to have to try to clean that out! and I've been avoiding putting my hands into hot water anyway because it seems to make them worse. I've had the split finger tips before in the winter, or when I've been doing renovation work with plaster or cement, but this year - probably because I'm walking a good 3 hours or so a day and it has been really cold lately 12 - 14 degrees - has been much worse than ever before.

• lauriekallis
    Options
    You are all very very wonderful! It warms my heart to have all this great support. It is even worth the sore fingers!! Thank you.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @lauriekallis winning that mental game is the big battle, that's for sure! I've found I can't just wait until lunch to eat; skipping breakfast totally doesn't always work for me, but at the same time, evening is my weakest time of day and I need to save as many calories as I can for dinner. And just when you think you've got it figured out, your brain changes up its MO and you find yourself facing it on a different front! lol

I do wish you luck, though! And it can't hurt to try; the biggest thing I've found is that consistency is key, but also being adaptable and willing to adjust what you are doing when it quits working, too. Try new things and being able to say you know, this method doesn't work for me, so lets try something else.

Though if the boyfriend and I move toward marriage, it looks like low carb may be in my future whether I want it or not lol
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    @bmeadows380
    Thank you. It is a big mental game. And physical. And trying to get them both on the same page is a challenge.

I'm so excited for you and "the boyfriend" both. I'm sure you are both learning a tremendous amount from each other.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @lauriekallis Amalactin is my go to for winter dry hands, does burn but works well or vaseline with rubber gloves to bed for a few nights. May want to try liquid bandage for splits.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    @dcshima
    Thank you! Yesterday I tried something I haven't tried before - polysporin seal and heal. It is actually helping quite a bit! I was looking for liquid bandage when I saw that and thought I would give it a shot.
    I'm still trying to bump up my fat macro a bit - that will make my skin a bit happier overall maybe?
    I have never tried Amlactin...maybe I'll give that a shot too.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @lauriekallis
    Avocado fan? Good fats & fiber
    Nuts? Same good fats
    Collagen good for hair, skin & nails, check Amazon out for that just need to get $/oz in $1-1.25 /oz (they are tricksters) range basically tasteless mixes well hot or cold
    Gelatin is little more fickle, so need to figure out how to mix / use it, but same principle & cheaper
    I would recommend those 🙂
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I was not very imaginative preparing dinner tonight!...Lean Cusine Supreme Pizza in the air fryer with yogurt and trail mix as a snack!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    dcshima wrote: »
    @lauriekallis
    Avocado fan? Good fats & fiber
    Nuts? Same good fats
    Collagen good for hair, skin & nails, check Amazon out for that just need to get $/oz in $1-1.25 /oz (they are tricksters) range basically tasteless mixes well hot or cold
    Gelatin is little more fickle, so need to figure out how to mix / use it, but same principle & cheaper
    I would recommend those 🙂

Yes - lots of nuts, going to switch yogurt to full fat when what I have is finished, taking collagen for ligament issues. Haven't had much avocado in a while, I know they are nutritious - but they come with lots of calories! And I'm alone - so I pretty well "have" to :) eat the whole thing! Probably won't have too many of those for awhile....but when I shift over to maintenance - next winter!!!! - they will play a bigger role in my everyday eating.

Thank you! @dcshima.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I was not very imaginative preparing dinner tonight!...Lean Cusine Supreme Pizza in the air fryer with yogurt and trail mix as a snack!

Sometimes, it's nice not to have to worry too much about cooking!
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Sometimes, it's nice not to have to worry too much about cooking!

I didn't feel like cooking and was running low on groceries to cook with anyway, so ended up with fish sticks and a bowl of instant oatmeal. Unorthodox but it fit my calories so oh well. I'll try for something better tomorrow!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Today's food, as per schedule, is a roast beef and cheese deli sandwich for lunch, and burritos for dinner. It's Friday, we must be having Mexican. (grin)