Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    I am trying out the new air fryer tonight making chicken drum sticks....

Oooh I'll look forward to a report on that! I've never tried one, but am curious!

The legs were AMAZING!....I put 6 chicken legs in a zip lock bag with 1/2 tsp olive oil per leg....sloshed them around....mixed chili powder,garlic powder,smoked paprika, salt and pepper and poured in the bag and squeezed them around until all coated...put in fryer at 380 degrees for 30 minutes....crispy and temp 180 degrees internally.....really good!

Omg Connie that sounds fantastic! (And pretty much the ideal chicken spice mix I think)!

emmyjaykay wrote: »
    I've got a bunch of chicken breasts cooking sous vide right now. The immersion circulator is my partner's kitchen gadget but it was pretty easy to set up and get to temp! My plan is to cook them sous vide then just sear them in a pan right before I eat. If this works out well, I think I'll do this once every week or two for lunches and dinners while my person works late.

I've been intrigued by sous vide...I'd also love to hear how that turns out!
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    @conniewilkins56 @eliezalot Basically we have a gadget that will bring a pot of water up to a specific temp. You vacuum seal whatever you're cooking and then leave the bag in the pot of water for a few hours while it slowly matches the water temperature. I did 145 since the long cooking time makes a lower internal temp safe for chicken. As long as it's at 145 for 10 minutes, it's pasteurized and ready to go.

I seared one off last night and it was actually great! It was less stringy and way more moist than chicken breast cooked in the pan or oven. I also thought the little hum while it circulated the water was kind of soothing, haha.
  • Lunch today was hamburgers, and dinner tonight will be Orange Pork with rice/caulirice and broccoli for them that can eat it.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    I had rotisserie chicken enchiladas for dinner last night. Amazing! And only 450 calories. I love Mexican food and I love a diet that I can eat what I want as long as it fits.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Cube steaks, fresh green beans and yellow rice...apple and peanut butter and rice cake for snack!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I found this green giant steamer's eggplant and pepper blend I'm going to roast up this evening, along with Salmon. I'm going to try a can of collard greens; usually I buy them fresh and cook them down myself, but I thought I'd give the canned ones a try. I hate canned spinach but perhaps my tastes have changed?

I'm already a little over my calorie limit today so I do need to hit the elliptical after while, too.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited January 2021
    Had leftover cod, leek and celeriac gratin for dinner tonight with some M&S potato rostis, may have also accidentally consumed 2 chocolate cream eclairs - oops

3jst682hxu5x.jpg

• eliezalot
    Well work struck again. Last minute proposal revisions took up my lunch break, so I didn't have time to prep the lamb stew, which takes a few hours to cook down. Luckily husband was happy to improvise instead. I have no idea what he's cooking, but it smells like bell peppers!
  • tinkerbellang83
    I've had a pounding tension headache that doesn't seem to want to shift no matter how many ibuprofen I pop and deep freeze I slather on, so food has been of the easy-to-fix, tasty to eat variety the last 2 days. Today I had some M&S chocolate hot cross buns for brekkie and some baked chicken wings for lunch, I'd made them yesterday but never got around to eating them. Not sure if I will cook this evening or if I'll just give in to a takeaway, despite fending off the urge for 2 days.
  • conniewilkins56
    We are having yellow rice, black beans and fajita seasoned chicken strips with peppers and onions...probably wheat thins,an apple and some laughing cow wedges as a snack!
  • eliezalot
    I've had a pounding tension headache that doesn't seem to want to shift no matter how many ibuprofen I pop and deep freeze I slather on, so food has been of the easy-to-fix, tasty to eat variety the last 2 days. Today I had some M&S chocolate hot cross buns for brekkie and some baked chicken wings for lunch, I'd made them yesterday but never got around to eating them. Not sure if I will cook this evening or if I'll just give in to a takeaway, despite fending off the urge for 2 days.

Sometimes take out is just necessary! And if you're not feeling well still, this sounds like one of those times. When I do take out, I usually do Indian, Thai, or Chinese. So my current method of not eating too much is to just order everything really spicy. I love spice, but it definitely slows me down, and I usually end up eating less per meal lol.
    We are having yellow rice, black beans and fajita seasoned chicken strips with peppers and onions...probably wheat thins,an apple and some laughing cow wedges as a snack!

That is similar to what we ended up having last night! Husband roasted up slices of onions, peppers, and potatoes with fajita seasoning, and served them with refried beans and a fried egg on top.

Today, I finally had a free 20 minutes this morning to get my lamb stew in the crockpot. It sure smells good with all of those warm spices! I added potatoes and carrots to make it go farther (because after I deboned the lamb, there was less than half a pound of it left). I'll make some whole wheat couscous to go with it.

Lunch will be leftovers - either steak and/or leftover veggies from last night. I'm not hungry yet, so I'm going to put it off...I know as it gets closer to dinner the smell of the stew is going to make me ravenous, so maybe I'll try for a late lunch. That is the best/hardest part about the slow cooker - smelling it cook for 6 hours!
  • tinkerbellang83

Sometimes take out is just necessary! And if you're not feeling well still, this sounds like one of those times. When I do take out, I usually do Indian, Thai, or Chinese. So my current method of not eating too much is to just order everything really spicy. I love spice, but it definitely slows me down, and I usually end up eating less per meal lol.

So very true, I caved and ordered Italian from one of the local restaurants, nice to support them whilst they're closed too. May or may not have also added Tiramisu to my order lol
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member

So very true, I caved and ordered Italian from one of the local restaurants, nice to support them whilst they're closed too. May or may not have also added Tiramisu to my order lol

Is it even Italian food if you don’t add the tiramisu? I have a little local Italian place that I love and have supported often so they don’t go out of business during the pandemic. And I ALWAYS order the tiramisu!
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2021
    This week I made a recipe that turned out better then expected: I seared pork loin piece in olive oil, and then slow boiled them with onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. Towards the end, I added cauliflower florets on top and they were half-boiled, half-steamed. It was easy to make and quite good.
  • eliezalot
    edited January 2021
    gewel321 wrote: »

Is it even Italian food if you don’t add the tiramisu? I have a little local Italian place that I love and have supported often so they don’t go out of business during the pandemic. And I ALWAYS order the tiramisu!

And there is no such thing as bad tiramisu. I've learned/decided that all tiramisu is just varying levels of delicious, from fine to incredible.

The lamb stew was pretty good. I added a bit of harissa to mine for extra spice. There's probably another 4 meals of leftovers from it. Tonight I'm planning on making some bao - the same recipe as I used for mushroom bao, but I'm going to try a pork filling using some pulled smoked pork from the freezer. Tomorrow I'm planning a chicken and roasted butternut squash tikka masala. I feel like I'm going to end up with lots of leftovers to freeze by the end of the week!
  • But I don't like coffee flavor, so I don't eat tiramisu.

Today lunch was pulled pork, and after I get back from the store we'll have spaghetti with bolognese sauce. Or bolognese sauce on pan seared zucchini. Good either way.
  • conniewilkins56
    Burgers,fries and a huge salad tonight...veggie straws,pudding and an apple for a snack!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I used a pita to make pizza for lunch today. Dinner is going to be 2 turkey italian sausage links and a bird's eye vegetable noodle mix. Jello for dessert and I still have about 150 calories left to cover hot chocolate and perhaps some strawberries or canned peaches. I've been craving sweet and cakey all day today, but don't have anything and finally wiped out all the stuff I was usually snacking on, which is a good thing. Broke down and had celery with cashew and peanut butter, though, but still fit it in today's food goals. I need to get on the elliptical tonight, but we'll see.
  • eliezalot
    Burgers,fries and a huge salad tonight...veggie straws,pudding and an apple for a snack!

Those veggie straws are so darn addicting...I can't keep them around, I'll eat all of them!

The bao was good, but the buns weren't as fluffy as the first time. I added some chili garlic sauce and fish sauce this time, which gave it a nice heat and flavor. I sauteed mustard greens with ginger, garlic, and toasted sesame oil for a veggie.

Tonight I think I'll do the chicken butternut squash tikka masala...or maybe I'll get tired/lazy and we'll order some takeout. Happy Friday!!
  • conniewilkins56
    Meatloaf,mashed potatoes, and steamed cauliflower and broccoli....popcorn and an apple with string cheese for a snack!...if I feel lazy we will only do burgers....not in the mood to be a chef today!