Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    I'm having a weird few days. I have dinner plans that suit my 5 year old grandson who would normally stay over a few nights. But, there has been a COVID outbreak at his mom's work, so to stay on the safe side he won't come over. It is so weird. They are healthy and her first test came back negative, but to be safe they are recommending a second. I miss the lad so much, and just don't feel like eating the alphabet vegetable soup I pulled out of the freezer in anticipation, or the veggie weiners and beans....lol....not even the ice cream bars. And the watermelon is just sitting there waiting. All my special treats to eat with him.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    the mini meatloaf recipe on the main blog this morning sounds pretty good, so I think I may try it out tonight, if I can get it adapted down.

Meanwhile, lunch will be left over pinto beans from Wednesday.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm having a weird few days. I have dinner plans that suit my 5 year old grandson who would normally stay over a few nights. But, there has been a COVID outbreak at his mom's work, so to stay on the safe side he won't come over. It is so weird. They are healthy and her first test came back negative, but to be safe they are recommending a second. I miss the lad so much, and just don't feel like eating the alphabet vegetable soup I pulled out of the freezer in anticipation, or the veggie weiners and beans....lol....not even the ice cream bars. And the watermelon is just sitting there waiting. All my special treats to eat with him.

Argh Covid. Definitely better to play it safe, but so disappointing! There's nothing like spending time at Grandma's - I treasure all of those sleepovers and time I got to spend with mine (and all of those special treats she's always have!). I hope you can have him over again soon!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

That sucks, could you have a meal "together" over zoom or another video platform instead? I know it's not the same but might perk you up a bit. There are some great online quizzes and stuff you can play together on some sites too.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    We got huge burritos at the farmer's market for supper last night, and had the leftovers for lunch.
    Tonight we are doing lamb chops with roasted potatoes and salad.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I made egg salad for lunch but my cooking ambition is low today!....I am looking in my freezer for something easy!....
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just ordered Bob Evans tonight, was feeling kind of lazy. Ordered grilled chicken breast, carrots, green beans and a side salad.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I just ordered Bob Evans tonight, was feeling kind of lazy. Ordered grilled chicken breast, carrots, green beans and a side salad.

That sounds good and easy, too!.....
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Loving the new air fryer!...tonight I am making honey-lime chicken legs, yellow rice and fresh broccoli...snack tonight is yogurt with an apple and banana diced in it with a rice cake.....last night I used some of the frozen pork and fixed BBQ with steamed carrots, canned corn and sweet potato fries!....I actually like to cook!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Other half made the kielbasa and mashed potato again tonight, menu is starting to get a bit monotonous so might have to change it up a bit.

Made the potato lasagne again at the weekend but with light cream cheese so have a fair few portions of that for lunch/dinner this week and an M&S Thai Green Chicken Curry for something different Friday night.

I know their is Yacon coming in the veggie subscription box so that will be a first for me, might try that in a pie and there's different mushrooms coming, might make mushroom and parsley mayo for bagel toppings. Chest freezer has a couple of fillet steaks and some chicken breasts so will come up with something for the chicken and have steak and veggies the other nights.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    The pizza worked well. Girlfriend had to go to the ER to get the thing on her back lanced because it wouldn't respond to the first antibiotic, but since the pizzas were individual, I could just have mine and then do hers when she got home. It's nice when it works out like that.
  • rieraclaelin
    Options
    I made this One Pot Low FODMAP Chicken and brown rice thing tonight, with chicken breast, red peppers, diced tomatoes, brown rice, baby spinach, cumin, paprika, ginger and turmeric. It wasn't too bad, but man, I freaking miss onion and garlic. I really, really hope that when I get to the reintroduction phase that my stomach tolerates those, because this is torture for me :p
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I made this One Pot Low FODMAP Chicken and brown rice thing tonight, with chicken breast, red peppers, diced tomatoes, brown rice, baby spinach, cumin, paprika, ginger and turmeric. It wasn't too bad, but man, I freaking miss onion and garlic. I really, really hope that when I get to the reintroduction phase that my stomach tolerates those, because this is torture for me :p

Can you just infuse some olive oil with garlic? I believe that still fall under the low FODMAP plans from when my mum was doing it. There's also chives, the green portion of spring onions and asafoetida powder although that's probably harder to get hold of.
  • rieraclaelin
    Options

Can you just infuse some olive oil with garlic? I believe that still fall under the low FODMAP plans from when my mum was doing it. There's also chives, the green portion of spring onions and asafoetida powder although that's probably harder to get hold of.

I can, and I have! The garlic oil works kinda well, but... My husband and I are both huge garlic lovers, so I used to really spice things up with a toooon of garlic. I almost always doubled or tripled the amount of garlic a recipe called for :p so, while the garlic oil does work when I use it, it's more of a barely there garlic taste for me. Watch it be the garlic that bothered me all this time... :P

And as for the onions, yeah, I have some spring onions in the fridge. I made a low FODMAP homemade salsa the other night with the green ends. It was pretty good (diced beefsteak tomatoes, green tops of spring onions, red bell pepper, olive oil, lemon juice and parsley). But again, it's just not the same, but, I'll adapt.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Planned meal went out the window for this evening, I've a craving for sushi and it works out less calories than what I had actually planned for dinner this evening, so win-win.

Got myself some Unagi Boshi Roll (Eel & Crabstick tempura with avocado & prawn), a couple of Salmon Nigiri and some Chicken Kara-age (Deep fried chicken thigh) the other half has gone for Tempura Prawns, more Tempura Prawns with noodles and Sliced Marinated Steak with stir fry veg (I really don't know where he puts it all)
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Last night we had tacos, tonight we are doing chicken soup. I'm trying to think of what to make (or order) for Valentine's day on Sunday...any suggestions?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We had tostados with leftover BBQ pulled pork on them with slaw and mozzerella melted on top...I spiced mine up with salsa and jalapeños....they were sooooo good!....popcorn later for a snack!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Last night we had tacos, tonight we are doing chicken soup. I'm trying to think of what to make (or order) for Valentine's day on Sunday...any suggestions?

We are going to have beef stroganoff and pan-seared zucchini chunks. However, I got the stuff to make a Reuben for Boyfriend tomorrow on our deli sandwich day.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made the pioneer womans black bean burger recipe. Which turned out pretty darn tasty. So far she hasnt let me down.