Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I can never pan my meals. The best I can do is make a list of the different options that we have and then pick day to day. Though most days if I pick something in the morning it usually changes by the time I get off work. I wish I was different but I’m not. Makes for a lot of trips to the store but it’s who I am.

SAME. I will give it my best effort, but if the time comes and I'm just not "hungry for" what I planned or it's something that requires more prep than I have the energy for, I just let it go and do something else.

Yesterday was pasta al limone with steamed broccoli mixed in, today will be salmon and asparagus baked in packets with some lemon and butter (unless I change my mind before dinner...)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I am making home made pizza tonight loaded with veggies and lo fat mozzerella....half of it has 800 calories but this is a huge portion...I am skipping a heavy lunch so I can eat the entire half!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Attempting a Potato Lasagne with ground chicken thigh, aubergines and courgettes this afternoon and also some doughnut muffins because I sent the recipe on to someone else and we've a bunch of jam my OH has been hoarding for years that needs working through. I'll let you know how the potato lasagne goes!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to juggle my daily routine because of the shorter days (kinda late I know!). I used to do two walks a day each one an hour and a half or so, and I ate my first real/main meal after the first walk. But, I don't like being out in the dark and to avoid that it became - walk / eat / walk. So I thought I would just do one long walk in the early afternoon and then a very short one in the evening to relieve the dog's boredom. Tried that this week - but after eating only a light breakfast, I was starving by the time I got home from the long walk...lol...so I had to change up my eating routine to match the new walking routine. Which led me to this exciting (to me ... lol) "pre-walk" bean salad. I had black beans in the fridge, half a red and half a green pepper, and the last bits of feta cheese in a container. Mixed them all up with some grape tomatoes, salt/pepper and olive oil, threw in a few almonds and topped it all off with some amazing homemade sweet/tangy pickled red onions that a friend gifted me over the holidays, and it felt like a gourmet treat, and best of all - not too heavy to eat just before a walk. Yesterday's 3 hour walk lasted over 4 because I'm still working out my routes but I was fine energy/hunger wise!

It isn't a big meal and I was afraid it would leaving me hankering for more - but it doesn't seem too! I think because the tangy flavours don't trigger anything (at least not yet anyway).

I know this is a ridiculously long post...sorry...I seem incapable of writing a short post - just imagine how long it would be if it was a full meal I was sharing not just a bean salad. :-)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Pizza sounds good - and I have never thought of potato lasagna. But I love potatoes in tomato sauce so imagine that it is amazing. Going to have to try that soon!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Attempting a Potato Lasagne with ground chicken thigh, aubergines and courgettes this afternoon and also some doughnut muffins because I sent the recipe on to someone else and we've a bunch of jam my OH has been hoarding for years that needs working through. I'll let you know how the potato lasagne goes!

So I got to play with the meat grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid, that was fun!

Potato lasagne turned out pretty well and delish, basically just roasted 2 aubergines and a courgette whilst I sliced some potato and pan fried the ground chicken thigh. Added the roasted veg to the pan with some store bought lasagne sauce and coated the meat and veg/ heated it through.

For the white layer, 2 tubs of ricotta, a beaten egg and some parmesan mixed together in a bowl.

Then layered in a roasting dish, with a bit of grated cheddar and a little more parmesan on the top.

Doughnut muffins didn't really work this time, just stuck to the muffin pan despite greasing, taste ok though, so I'll try them in the silicone cupcake cases I have next time.

12g0se0aps7o.jpg
    ys8jcqgcp3ls.jpg
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 - that looks so good. I never would have thought of potato lasagna!

@conniewilkins56 - homemade pizza is the best! And it can be so filling (and fun to customize toppings). What veggies did you add?

I finally made chicken shawarma, which turned out great (spicier than I intended, but delicious), and for the first time, most of my pitas actually puffed up! I made a tahini sauce, herbed garlic yogurt sauce, and za'atar roasted eggplant amd and zucchini. My friend made the perfect salad to go with - arugula, mixed greens, and herbs with avocado, chickpeas, red onion, and tomato, dressed with hummus.
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It wasn't dinner, but, I made a pretty yummy breakfast today! Sundays are usually our big breakfast day of the week, the rest of the week my husband and I just scrounge around for stuff.

This was an egg, cheddar cheese, bell pepper, onion, vegetarian sausage crumbles (that I added a little sage and sugar free maple syrup to give it more of a breakfast sausage flavor), and broccoli bake thing. My husband said it was like a frittata, almost? All I know is that it was good, but it could have used more cheese. But then I suppose it wouldn't have been as healthy :p

Also seasoned it with some cracked pepper, onion powder, and a little bit of garlic.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    @tinkerbellang83 - that looks so good. I never would have thought of potato lasagna!

@conniewilkins56 - homemade pizza is the best! And it can be so filling (and fun to customize toppings). What veggies did you add?

I finally made chicken shawarma, which turned out great (spicier than I intended, but delicious), and for the first time, most of my pitas actually puffed up! I made a tahini sauce, herbed garlic yogurt sauce, and za'atar roasted eggplant amd and zucchini. My friend made the perfect salad to go with - arugula, mixed greens, and herbs with avocado, chickpeas, red onion, and tomato, dressed with hummus.

Couldn't get photos to post from my phone:
    c7p99hci2f2o.jpg

2oqu3go7n9dz.jpg
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    On the homemade pizza I used onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, black olives, garlic and a few diced seedless tomatoes....lots of lo fat mozzerella....the dough for the crust from Publix is great but I knead in a little Larry’s Garlic salt and Parmesan before I put it in the pan and bake for a few minutes before I put the sauce and veggies on it....it was good!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I made crepes for the first time this morning. I cut up some fresh strawberries and bananas. I added a little hazelnut spread (not exactly low calorie but it was only a little). They were amazing!

My son put Nutella, peanut butter, strawberries, bananas, and whipped cream on his. 🤦‍♀️

Sounds yummy!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    That potato lasagna does sound good. If I weren't reducing nightshades in my diet, I'd try it. Alas, I learned they make my fibro pain exponentially worse. It's not a 1:1 thing, but if I ate pasta with marinara for dinner, hash browns with my breakfast, and fried potatoes with kielbasa for lunch, by dinner that night I'd be barely able to walk and wondering where the gang was that beat me up. So I limit it to a little tomato sauce and a couple spoonfuls of salsa now and then. I miss the potatoes fried with sausage and peppers, though.

We had walking burritos for lunch because it's Sunday, and Breakfast For Dinner, which in this case was a Belgian waffle with sugar-free syrup and a couple turkey sausages for me, and a plate of turkey bacon and turkey sausages with an English muffin for him. Girlfriend had what I have but I made her maple-peanut butter syrup to put on hers. To each their own. And I had some cheese and crackers later. I'm still munchy but it's near eleven so it's time to go to bed instead.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Couldn't get photos to post

Try browser rather than app from phone.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    After a trip to Publix this morning, we are having Ribeye steaks, baked potatoes, and a fresh salad!...mmmm mmmm good
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    After a trip to Publix this morning, we are having Ribeye steaks, baked potatoes, and a fresh salad!...mmmm mmmm good

Steak for me tonight too (Fillet) with some roasted veggies (Sweet Potato, Carrot & Aubergine) and maybe some cheese too. Had a portion of the potato lasagne for lunch as it was an easy one to reheat at the office.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    For lunch, i cut up the leftover pitas, tossed them with olive oil and za'atar, and baked them up into pita chips. We had that with some tomatoes and snap peas, and the rest of the tahini and yogurt sauces.
    For supper, we cooked mushroom bao with quick pickled cucumbers - delicious! I'll post a photo tomorrow, because we were pretty proud of it lol. I love it when new recipes just work!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yesterday I indulged in some comfort food that turned out to be relatively low in calories! Yves veggie dogs - sliced up and panfried in butter until there was a bit of chew and then I added half a cup of Heinz "original" beans in tomato sauce to make one of those movie cowboy stews - plus some leftover roasted vegetables. A rib sticking dinner (and lunch) that felt like I was like rolling up in a feather blanket.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Yesterday I indulged in some comfort food that turned out to be relatively low in calories! Yves veggie dogs - sliced up and panfried in butter until there was a bit of chew and then I added half a cup of Heinz "original" beans in tomato sauce to make one of those movie cowboy stews - plus some leftover roasted vegetables. A rib sticking dinner (and lunch) that felt like I was like rolling up in a feather blanket.

Yesss those meals are the best. Eat to your heart's content, feel full and comforted...that sounds ideal!

Lunch from re-purposed pitas
    cj370ol20390.jpg

Mushroom bao:
    6xb45rgaf85z.jpg

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    For lunch, i cut up the leftover pitas, tossed them with olive oil and za'atar, and baked them up into pita chips. We had that with some tomatoes and snap peas, and the rest of the tahini and yogurt sauces.
    For supper, we cooked mushroom bao with quick pickled cucumbers - delicious! I'll post a photo tomorrow, because we were pretty proud of it lol. I love it when new recipes just work!

Had to google za'atar but otherwise sounded good. Post googling - also sounds good!