Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    I was going to have the other steak this evening, but figure I might leave that for tomorrow and make the Fish, leek and artichoke gratin I was going to make later in the week tonight instead. It'll be somewhat based on this recipe https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/smoked-haddock-jerusalem-artichoke-gratin
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You all are killing me with your creative dishes!....tonight we are having Oscar Mayer 60 calorie lean wieners,roasted re baked potato wedges and fresh green beans I got at the produce market....simple but good!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    You all are killing me with your creative dishes!....tonight we are having Oscar Mayer 60 calorie lean wieners,roasted re baked potato wedges and fresh green beans I got at the produce market....simple but good!

It's only because I have all this veg from my subscription service that I'm being creative, so it doesn't go to waste.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Haha, I love cooking, and I also have nothing better to do right now being stuck at home. But so often simple meals are the best ones! Also that ribeye sounded fabulous (my favorite steak, hands down).
    It's only because I have all this veg from my subscription service that I'm being creative, so it doesn't go to waste.

Yup! I absolutely hate wasting food (and also have a subscription service). Necessity is the mother of invention lol. The gratin sounds fabulous, but I had to google Jerusalem artichoke....what do they taste like?

Tonight is going to be pretty simple (I'm tired and the kitchen is an absolute mess) - heating up some leftover borscht from the freezer. Maybe cook up a sausage on the side.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »

Haha, I love cooking, and I also have nothing better to do right now being stuck at home. But so often simple meals are the best ones! Also that ribeye sounded fabulous (my favorite steak, hands down).

Yup! I absolutely hate wasting food (and also have a subscription service). Necessity is the mother of invention lol. The gratin sounds fabulous, but I had to google Jerusalem artichoke....what do they taste like?

Tonight is going to be pretty simple (I'm tired and the kitchen is an absolute mess) - heating up some leftover borscht from the freezer. Maybe cook up a sausage on the side.

No idea, I normally have artichoke as antipasti, so it's normally from a jar in oil, vinegar and herbs, it's something else I've never had fresh before (well not that I recall anyway, may have had it at a restaurant at some point) :lol:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,647 Member
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Lunch from re-purposed pitas
    cj370ol20390.jpg
    Mushroom bao:
    6xb45rgaf85z.jpg

Wow - both look delicious - and your pitas look amazing!!!!

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Yesterday night we had leftover prime rib. At the rate we are eating it, we'll have the Christmas prime rib well into the spring, lol! I had it with wild rice pilaf, which is pretty much my go-to starch side dish. Potatoes make my fibro pain worse, so I'm pretty much a rice with everything person.

Lunch today is hot Italian roast beef sandwiches; we girls had ours, and when he wakes up (he laid down after therapy) he can have his. It's a convenient meal that way.

And tonight is a family favorite, General Tso's pork. Tastes just as good with Splenda substituted for the sugar, and white wine for the sweet rice wine. We like a definite sour component to the sauce against the sweet and hot elements, and for my palate pork is better than chicken in the dish. He'll have it over steamed broccoli; she and I will have it over rice, and she'll have the broccoli on top of the rice. Alas, my body does not approve of broccoli.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I don't mind tooting my own horn but the fish gratin - mouthwateringly good. 730 cals a portion mind thanks to the double cream and cheese, though I am sure a slimline version could probably be made with light philadelphia.

lg698ixdytz3.jpg
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    d63mcab0m71d.jpg
    I made a little homemade granola with my lunch and it was cute. (Also I was photographing it for my business website—I don't usually dress up my bowls, haha.)

I don't remember what thread we were discussing lighter alternatives to cream sauces on but I had a mad craving for creamy pasta tonight with nothing in the house that I could use to make a real sauce. I tried out the Laughing Cow pasta recommendation I'd seen all over Reddit and it really did the trick at about 270ish calories. I'm not usually a big fan of "hack-y" diet recipes and just make room for the real thing but the craving was definitely satiated.
    Options
    Lunch today was hamburgers. I eat mine plain but I always have, and don't miss putting cheese on it. I'd rather have a small bag of chips instead of the cheese slice. I suppose at some point I will start being okay with letting the chips go, but I'm not quite there yet.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp scampi. I am not going to use as much butter as the original recipe does, and I will use more garlic, serve mine with rice and theirs with pan-seared zucchini, and it won't be ridiculous calorically.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Shrimp Scampi sounds delicious!....we are eating simple fare as we usually do!...turkey kielbasa,oven baked fries,mixed frozen vegetables and a fresh tossed salad....snack later will be an apple, popcorn and a string cheese....you all make my meals sound boring!....
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I"m going to make pizza tonight - even splurging and making a crust, though since I'm trying to adapt down Betty Crocker's recipe to 1/8 of their serving, it's going to be challenging to get the ingredients right. I have a little jarred spaghetti sauce I'm going to use, lean ground hamburger, turkey pepperoni, a little mushroom, a little black olive, and 2 servings carefully weighed out of cheese. I'm going to spread it out in a medium size cast iron skillet.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I"m going to make pizza tonight - even splurging and making a crust, though since I'm trying to adapt down Betty Crocker's recipe to 1/8 of their serving, it's going to be challenging to get the ingredients right. I have a little jarred spaghetti sauce I'm going to use, lean ground hamburger, turkey pepperoni, a little mushroom, a little black olive, and 2 servings carefully weighed out of cheese. I'm going to spread it out in a medium size cast iron skillet.

Sounds good....I buy fresh dough in Publix deli and measure it out....easiest crust ever lol
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    We're grilling burgers tonight, with smoked cheese and some sliced avocado. We'll have some coleslaw (a non-mayo coleslaw), and some apple crisp for dessert.
    Options
    The recipe for the shrimp scampi involves an entire stick of butter, and that's about right to cook the shrimp in for the three dishes I used, but none of us ate all that butter; we ate the shrimp and left the butter in the dish. I therefore didn't log an entire stick of butter when I entered the recipe; I logged two tablespoons apiece, which was probably a little generous, and the calories came out about the way I felt they should when I got done eating it.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My mom asked me today what I want for my birthday dinner (yes I’m turning 40 and my mom still makes me a birthday meal with a cake every year.) I really wanted perogies. But I know that would set me back for a looong while. If you don’t know what it is imagine a ravioli but filled with mashed potatoes and cheese and then sautéed in butter and onions. Freaking amazing. 🤤

I decided that instead of over indulging on the meal I would instead pick something more sensible and save the extra calories for my cherry nut cake.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    The menu for tonight is BBQ chicken tenders, broccoli with cheese, stuffing, and a salad....pretty easy....evening snack is rice cakes with peanut butter and a banana!....
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    My mom asked me today what I want for my birthday dinner (yes I’m turning 40 and my mom still makes me a birthday meal with a cake every year.) I really wanted perogies. But I know that would set me back for a looong while. If you don’t know what it is imagine a ravioli but filled with mashed potatoes and cheese and then sautéed in butter and onions. Freaking amazing. 🤤

I decided that instead of over indulging on the meal I would instead pick something more sensible and save the extra calories for my cherry nut cake.

Happy 40th!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Last night I had a craving for Supermacs (like McDs/KFC but better quality and actually filling) so got a Chicken Breast Sandwich and Regular Fries.

7cdt7t2cu5u8.png

I'm still working through leftovers this week (PS. that lovely bowl of fish gratin above, ended up on the floor after a couple of mouthfuls, on our cream rug no less 😭 to say I was devastated is an understatement - luckily there were
    2 more portions left)

So for lunch I had some of the Sprout & Blue Cheese soup that I'd made the other week and frozen (good job I am in the office alone this afternoon :lol: tonight I will have the last remaining fish gratin portion.

Tomorrow, I'll probably have another portion of the soup for lunch and I will finally get around to eating that other steak with the leftover roasted med veg I made Monday night for dinner.

Then it's time to plan meals for Sat-Fri again.

Options
    We went out for lunch and I had a ground beef chimichanga and rice. That will probably, all things considered, set me over on calories tonight, but given that I hadn't had that for several months, I think once in a while can be excused. Dinner tonight is scheduled to be farfalle Florentine, which is farfalle cooked in alfredo sauce with spinach and grilled chicken pieces, and that is always tasty.