Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I made 4 bean salad last night, though I need to put it in MFP to figure out the calories. It will make a good dinner, I think, along with maybe some beef I have in the freezer, or BBQ pork.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yum, bean salad sounds good (I'd vote alongside the BBQ pork). I've been on a big bean/lentil kick lately. Tonight it continues with a pasta e fagioli, I think
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    I'm about to try using some French cut/French style greenbeans in lieu of noodles/rice for saucy stuff. I have a container of sweet potato & bean curry in my freezer waiting for this experiment - but my local store doesn't have the french cut green beans so I'm looking for them (slowly).

On my "best days" I eat a ton of vegetables and don't feel hungry. I've come to consider potatoes a super vegetable - they always fill me up and they have so much nutrition in them - that I can use under saucy stuff rather than the noodles/rice that I've come to think of as empty calories that add up but don't fill me up.

I'm hoping this green bean thing will work well - they are a bit furry and I imagine will hold the sauce really well.

If they do work - they will help turn more days into best days. And will leave a nice chunk of calories on those days that I can reserve for a treat.

Anyone have other options for under those saucy dishes that are so good in the winter?

Finally found some Green Giant French cut green beans and I have to say that they worked really well as a base for my curry! Virtually no extra "flavour" - just a nice crunch and it soaked up the curry sauce.

Now I am inspired to do a bit more saucy cooking!
  • eliezalot
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Yum, bean salad sounds good (I'd vote alongside the BBQ pork). I've been on a big bean/lentil kick lately. Tonight it continues with a pasta e fagioli, I think

Lol it definitely continued with eating too many cookies, skipping a real meal, and having some pulled pork as a late night snack.

TONIGHT it continues as pasta e fagioli.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    @lauriekallis
    I love that idea! I'll have to give that a try!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Turkey kielbasa,yellow rice and black beans!......yum
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Beef cube steaks,baked sweet potatoes, green beans!
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I had chicken and rice bowl.

yellow rice, grilled chicken, black beans, corn, light sour cream, cheddar cheese

Super yum and filling and lower in calories.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »

yellow rice, grilled chicken, black beans, corn, light sour cream, cheddar cheese

That is one of my favorite meals!
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options

First time I ever ate it was in a restaurant in FL. I came home and recreated it. Maybe it's a Florida thing
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

First time I ever ate it was in a restaurant in FL. I came home and recreated it. Maybe it's a Florida thing

It is a “ southern island thang” lol....when we lived in the Keys it was something we ate a lot...also black bean soup and picadia...( sp ).... it’s cooked ground beef with peppers,onions,diced tomatoes, sliced green and black olives and has a touch of cinnamon in it served over rice....so good!...my son in law is from the Carribbean and he cooks a lot of foods he had growing up...
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Husband is cooking french onion soup tonight - yum!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Husband is cooking french onion soup tonight - yum!

Love French Onion soup!....enjoy
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I normally make my chilli wuth diced beef and more or less the standard ingredients. Decided this time I'd make it with chicken thigh instead, then realised I had no kidney beans so settled for butter beans and chickpeas. Is it still technically chilli? I have no idea but it's bloody lovely.

Served it on nachos with a sprinkle of grated cheese, chunky guac and some natural yoghurt.

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    Tonight I threw a mini casserole with some leftovers....cooked and drained some lean ground beef and added sliced leftover potatoes and carrots....chopped up some onions, garlic and green peppers...added some spices and poured a cup of petite diced tomatoes on top of it....baked for 40 minutes....it was nice and hot, didn’t taste bad and I used some leftovers!....evert night doesnt have to be gourmet!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I normally make my chilli with diced beef and more or less the standard ingredients. Decided this time I'd make it with chicken thigh instead, then realised I had no kidney beans so settled for butter beans and chickpeas. Is it still technically chilli? I have no idea but it's bloody lovely.

It is that time of year I think! A few days ago I made what labelled as "lentil root chili." I figure if the spicing is chili flavoured it is still "chili" - even though I switched up the standard ingredients by adding lots of root vegetables - potatoes, rutabaga, sweet potatoes and carrots, some full length green beans for fun, red, black and white beans, and green lentils which give a chew similar to ground beef. It made a huge pot - enough to put 12 servings in the freezer.

Haven't had chili in a long time - but very glad I made it be cause it is so filling!

I had it for breakfast yesterday with scrambled eggs. I wasn't hungry for hours and hours.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Making vegetable soup for dinner because it is in the 50s....I baked yummy Zuchinni sticks for lunch!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I had an all out prep day today and played with my new KitchenAid Stand Mixer and some of the attachments so for dinner we had Root Vegetable Pithivier (recommended by a friend's mum - for those who also hadn't heard of it, it's basically a dome shaped pie) to use up some of the Beetroots we received with a subscription veg order, so it had 2 layers of green lentils blended with goats cheese, a layer of roasted sweet potato and a layer of roasted beetroot.

04atxda4lzi0.png

and with the remaining beetroot I made a Jamie Oliver recipe for Chocolate & Beetroot Cake and had a slice with some greek yoghurt.

880hcr0lfndu.png

Also had my first attempt at making soft pretzels and made some brussell sprout and blue cheese soup.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I had an all out prep day today and played with my new KitchenAid Stand Mixer and some of the attachments so for dinner we had Root Vegetable Pithivier (recommended by a friend's mum - for those who also hadn't heard of it, it's basically a dome shaped pie) to use up some of the Beetroots we received with a subscription veg order, so it had 2 layers of green lentils blended with goats cheese, a layer of roasted sweet potato and a layer of roasted beetroot.

and with the remaining beetroot I made a Jamie Oliver recipe for Chocolate & Beetroot Cake and had a slice with some greek yoghurt.

Also had my first attempt at making soft pretzels and made some brussell sprout and blue cheese soup.

I'm going to have to figure out how to make my way to your house for dinner - this all looks out of this world!

I made that beetroot chocolate cake last year - it was a pleasant surprise!
  • eliezalot
    Options

That looks and sounds incredible. When's supper??

(I'm also going to need more information about that brussell sprout and blue cheese soup...that is taking broccoli cheese to another level!!)