Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for dinner last night - eggs and fried spam on toast, with some arugula and parmesan on top.
    No idea what we'll do tonight. Maybe grill up some tuna steaks and have them on buns with a side salad?
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what's gonna be for dinner coming up. My doctor is now testing me for celiac disease and lactose intolerance. So, I have to minimize dairy and also go on a low FODMAP diet for the next four weeks... And I have nooooo idea what to do :p

But I am going in for blood work on Monday to test for celiac, so if I'm not positive for that, I suppose I won't have to stay on the low FODMAP diet? I dunno
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’m the same way. Thankfully I was able to get over that and make fish tacos. It was just as yummy and I am satisfied.

I however have no doubt that before the weekend is up I will be having pizza. I’ll just have to limit the amount.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I have no idea what's gonna be for dinner coming up. My doctor is now testing me for celiac disease and lactose intolerance. So, I have to minimize dairy and also go on a low FODMAP diet for the next four weeks... And I have nooooo idea what to do :p

But I am going in for blood work on Monday to test for celiac, so if I'm not positive for that, I suppose I won't have to stay on the low FODMAP diet? I dunno

Low FODMAP is more restrictive than celiac. It's possible to eat on it; I made most of my Thanksgiving dinner low FODMAP because Younger Son is trying to figure out what has his gut annoyed all the time. It's essentially a diet where you don't eat proteins that are the top offenders for intolerance, and see if that solves the problem. The main issue I found is that garlic and onions aren't used, and I adore garlic and onions. But you can infuse oil with garlic and onions and use that.

This helped me a lot when I was trying to figure out what I could do for him. https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/.

Stirfries with meat and some of the approved vegetables, using a garlic infused oil at the start, would be tasty. Eggs are fine, so you can do all sorts of omelets and quiches. And potatoes are fine, so you can have a grilled chop and mashed potatoes, if you use lactose-free milk to mash with.

• rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Low FODMAP is more restrictive than celiac. It's possible to eat on it; I made most of my Thanksgiving dinner low FODMAP because Younger Son is trying to figure out what has his gut annoyed all the time. It's essentially a diet where you don't eat proteins that are the top offenders for intolerance, and see if that solves the problem. The main issue I found is that garlic and onions aren't used, and I adore garlic and onions. But you can infuse oil with garlic and onions and use that.

This helped me a lot when I was trying to figure out what I could do for him. https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/.

Stirfries with meat and some of the approved vegetables, using a garlic infused oil at the start, would be tasty. Eggs are fine, so you can do all sorts of omelets and quiches. And potatoes are fine, so you can have a grilled chop and mashed potatoes, if you use lactose-free milk to mash with.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for this link!

I have been researching a lot since yesterday when she told me to go on the low FODMAP diet, but it's all so overwhelming. Especially since 90% of the stuff I have in the house is high FODMAP foods, because they are things I'm supposed to eat with my liver/diabetes stuff. So, this is going to be a real challenge. And then watching gluten on top of it? Yeesh... But, I still have the number for my dietician, and if I start to notice an improvement with my issues, I'll give her a call so she can really help me set up a good idea of what to do.

I'm gonna start on Monday, I think. That way I have time to make a game plan and can get groceries since I have so much stuff to get rid of.

I'm kinda hoping it's more of a lactose thing, that would be so much easier to control :p it'll be a lot easier to get dairy free cheese/milks than to have to limit so many of the vegetables and fruits that I eat now, along with having to swap out pastas for gluten free ones (which taste fine, but I don't care for the texture as much). At least I can keep brown rice in the mix, since we eat a lot of that with stuff.

Garlic and onions will be hard... I cook with a lot of that.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    This is why I love the Larger Loser group so much...everyone is so supportive and helpful...it is so great to have a place where we can share all of our victories,problems,and ask questions!...by being losers, we are winners!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Made a lighter version of the fish gratin this evening replaced the cream with light philadelphia, couldn't get artichokes in the supermarket so went for celeriac instead. Sauce tasted more or less the same, just slightly less rich. Made some celeriac mash with the leftover veg and roasted the last of my kalettes.

Tomorrow I am in the office so I'm taking some leftover chicken thigh chilli and some tortilla chips for lunch and I am headed to a friends after work for a Burns' night supper - haggis, neeps (turnip) and tatties (potatoes).
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Made a lighter version of the fish gratin this evening replaced the cream with light philadelphia, couldn't get artichokes in the supermarket so went for celeriac instead. Sauce tasted more or less the same, just slightly less rich. Made some celeriac mash with the leftover veg and roasted the last of my kalettes.

Tomorrow I am in the office so I'm taking some leftover chicken thigh chilli and some tortilla chips for lunch and I am headed to a friends after work for a Burns' night supper - haggis, neeps (turnip) and tatties (potatoes).

out of curiosity, what is celeriac?
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

out of curiosity, what is celeriac?

Celery Root. It's like a big root vegetable - has the peppery taste of celery but not the stringy texture.

It's good for stews and mash.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    ah! I tried that once though the store just sold it as celery root. Not bad!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    ah! I tried that once though the store just sold it as celery root. Not bad!

I think the name is a regional thing.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I am trying out the new air fryer tonight making chicken drum sticks....
  • eliezalot
    Options
    I've been too tired to cook much this last week. Work has been crazy (under a proposal deadline...tomorrow), so I've been spending every free minute either sleeping or working on modelling health outcomes. All of my grand cooking plans have fallen by the wayside. I love having a freezer and pantry full of home-made, ready to go food for times like these. Last night we had some roasted cauliflower, smoked pulled pork from the freezer, and a salad. Tonight I think we're finally having our steak with pierogies and home-canned green beans.

I got some lamb at the store this week, and found a lamb and chickpea stew that sounded pretty good. I might toss it in the crock pot tomorrow. The bao has also been pushed back several days, but will be a fun end of week treat (we'll use the freezer pork in it instead of mushrooms this time, for a twist). I also have a ton of tomatoes I have to use up, so there might be some sort of tomatoey curry in the future as well.
  • eliezalot
    Options

Oooh I'll look forward to a report on that! I've never tried one, but am curious!
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've got a bunch of chicken breasts cooking sous vide right now. The immersion circulator is my partner's kitchen gadget but it was pretty easy to set up and get to temp! My plan is to cook them sous vide then just sear them in a pan right before I eat. If this works out well, I think I'll do this once every week or two for lunches and dinners while my person works late.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »

Oooh I'll look forward to a report on that! I've never tried one, but am curious!

The legs were AMAZING!....I put 6 chicken legs in a zip lock bag with 1/2 tsp olive oil per leg....sloshed them around....mixed chili powder,garlic powder,smoked paprika, salt and pepper and poured in the bag and squeezed them around until all coated...put in fryer at 380 degrees for 30 minutes....crispy and temp 180 degrees internally.....really good!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    emmyjaykay wrote: »
    I've got a bunch of chicken breasts cooking sous vide right now. The immersion circulator is my partner's kitchen gadget but it was pretty easy to set up and get to temp! My plan is to cook them sous vide then just sear them in a pan right before I eat. If this works out well, I think I'll do this once every week or two for lunches and dinners while my person works late.

Does sous vide mean brought to temp and then seared to brown?....sounds like a great idea....I hope this air fryer makes us eat more chicken!