Options
    klassie12
    Mondays
    PW:162
    CW 161.2
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you are getting connected with a dietitian and are starting to feel better @JoDavo66. Hopefully you can get some rest today.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    JoDavo66 wrote: »
    @veryhotmails & @jenready thank you.
    Despite low cholesterol diet since I was in my 20s I apparently had a gallstones/gallbladder attack Sat night/Sun morning.
    I'm suffering now from lack of sleep & decent food as well as feeling very sore but I'm not vomiting or rolling around in pain anymore!
    Literally got phone call appt from my GP as I started typing & I'm being referred to dietitian- which I'm pleased about as I joined MFP with struggling to loose weight when it started to go on 3-4 years ago (the joys of menopause).
    Taken today off work- I couldn't sit at computer all day for on-line lessons but I am certainly feeling better.

Hopefully you can get some help. I have an appointment with a dietitian next week also to learn how to get my underweight child to gain weight while at the same time help me lower my other sons cholesterol because he is on a med that he needs but causes high triglycerides and cholesterol.
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @JoDavo66 I am glad you got speedy treatment & are feeling better.Will be interesting what advice you will get from the dietician,hope it helps.
  • izzyred9400
    Options
    Steps
    1/16 12,921
    1/17 14,612
    1/18 12,877
  • Jen_967
    Jen_967 Posts: 1,919 Member
    Options
    Steps

1/17- 4,932
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    jzti2an1w6ky.png

THE IDEA LOUNGE

This is where to bring your ideas, suggestions, musings, and ruminations! Everyone in the F2F community is welcome to be heard. What kind of ideas? :)

Challenges - We have tried several ways to keep fresh and interesting challenges happening every week. The best so far is to gather what everybody thinks would work. Post your ideas, even if they are just sketches. We will collect them all and share the full list to flesh them out and make some really useful and strong challenges. Why challenges? There is nothing better to help keep the energy and commitment high, and the discouragement and staleness low. They are optional but really helpful. Tell us which ones you like, or what new ideas you'd like to see.

Suggestions - this is wide open! What would make F2F better? What bugs you? What works really well? Take some time to look around on other teams than your own, and if you see something you'd like your team to try, suggest it! Or if you think of ways we can improve communication, reward the right kind of progress, or make the community more welcoming and effective. Spill!
  • jenready
    Options
    Does anyone have a good weight training program that they follow? Or a site you use for lifting ideas? I work with a personal trainer a couple of days a week and those workouts are great but when I lift on my own I usually feel a little lost on putting together a lift schedule. I have talked with by trainer and she said she could write me up some plans but just wondering if anyone here had some good resources too.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    1/18-12,622
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    @jenready @angmarie28 @izzyred9400 Thank you all for comments.

I rested yesterday, today as "back at work", thankfully teaching from home & I stayed in my PJs. (Not supposed to do that) I was supercareful to ensure no video!!

I need to look at protein increase as too low & unfortunately many of my "go-tos" are currently banned. Calories still OK & carbs are generally very healthy- ryvita, bagel, brown rice but -just too high.😢.
    Craving something sweet but not much sweet stuff in on purpose & I forgot to ask hubbie to bring fresh fruit from work- might raid freezer & see if we have any frozen in.

Back to hospital for more tests tomorrow.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    jenready wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good weight training program that they follow? Or a site you use for lifting ideas? I work with a personal trainer a couple of days a week and those workouts are great but when I lift on my own I usually feel a little lost on putting together a lift schedule. I have talked with by trainer and she said she could write me up some plans but just wondering if anyone here had some good resources too.

I split my musckles in 3 groups
    1-Shoulders, biceps, triceps
    2-legs and back
    3-chest and abs.

I bought a mens health big book of exercises (I think its called) and pick moves from that.

I am organizing a weight loss group at my work, this is what I recommended to the group but this site has a lot of different workout regimens.
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/upper-lower-bodyweight-split
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 217 Member
    Options

What type of equipment do you have access to - barbell, dumbbells, kettlebells, cable /pulley systems?

I really enjoy barbell training and focus on the big compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, rows). If this is your goal, I'd recommend looking into Starting Strength or Greyskull Linear Progression. If you're an intermediate lifter Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 is a great program with endless customization options. Barbell Medicine also has some great templates, and I think a couple are free (The Bridge is one). Alan Thrall is one of my favorite people to follow on YouTube. He's a former Starting Strength coach and owns a gym. He posted a 12 week program, just look in his YouTube playlists.

If I'm traveling (not sure what that's like anymore) and only have access to dumbbells, the I do circuit training - 8-12 reps of the following 5 exercises for 5 rounds: bench press, rows, squat press, pull ups, and some an exercise like hanging leg raise or laying leg raise.

I also used to do a kettlebell circuit (swings, snatch, goblet squat, farmer's carry, Turkish get-up.
  • jenready
    Options
    Thanks for the info @angmarie28 and @bearchested. My gym has reopened so I have access to a full gym and feel comfortable using almost everything. The only thing I occasionally have issues with is kettlebell swings due to vertigo but otherwise I feel comfortable going in and doing lifts and anything else. I just hate going in without a plan because then I'll tend to do less and lean more towards just cardio.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    Angmarie28
    Wednesdays
    PW-152
    CW-152
  • jenready
    Options
    It's getting way too quiet in here. Anyone have any wins this week? Anything new you are trying to add to your weekly routine?
  • Jen_967
    Jen_967 Posts: 1,919 Member
    Options
    Jen_967
    Wednesday Weigh-In
    PW: 215
    CW: 214.6

Steps
    Mon 1/18- 4,172
    Tues 1/19- 12,196
    Wed 1/20- 3,858
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I subscribed to an app called Fitbod. It creates programs for me. It was like $60 for a year, but was worth it for me. I did not know what I was doing in the gym and this has taught me to create my own workouts. I will likely stop using it after the year runs out.
  • izzyred9400
    Options
    @Jen_967 I agree it is quiet on here !
    I am loving my Garmin vivosmart fitness tracker.It makes me get off my backside every hour to move around !! My steps are recorded & I find it easy to use.It has definitely motivated me to move more,just need it to transfer to the scales!
    The only downside is that wearing it 24/7 it has given me dermatitis on my wrist.Any ideas how I can prevent this apart from not wearing it ??
  • angmarie28
    Options
    Week 3 Challenge
    Sleep

Did you know sleep is just as important as eating healthy and exercise when it comes to yours health? An adult should get 7-8 hours of sleep Every night, and absolutely no less than 6 hours per night. Good sleep can improve concentration and productivity. It can also help you maximize your fitness, and improve your immune function. Poor sleep can contribute to health problems such as increase your risk of heart disease and stroke, depression, inflammation, and affects glucose metabolism.

Sleep also can affect our weight. Poor sleep is linked to weight gain, and people who sleep more, tend to eat fewer calories. This is because sleep helps regulate our hunger hormones. The more sleep we get, the more our bodies produce leptin, this is a hormone that makes us feel full. The less sleep we get, the more our bodies produce ghrelin, which is the hunger hormone. So the less we sleep, the more hungry we are, the more we sleep, the less hungry we are.

This is a good link that summarizes the importance of sleep if you want to read more about it.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-reasons-why-good-sleep-is-important#2.-Good-sleepers-tend-to-eat-fewer-calories

Also If you are like me and get up early to workout, whether it is because you like to be up early, or are simply to busy later in the day to squeeze in a workout, if you cant get at least 6 hours of sleep, its better to keep sleeping than get that workout in.

So your challenge this week is to sleep. Turn off TVs and phones an hour before you need to be in bed, this will help your mind get ready for sleep mode, and get some sleep.
    pru26w9350w3.jpg
    kffgst15m6wf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.