This February “I Will” ... Newcomers Start Here

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    It’s 5dxjmrs453yl.jpeg
    bad. And things are snowballing getting worse and worse. I’m hoping the National Guard will show up with generators but really I doubt it
  • nordakota
    nordakota Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi there! New here! My goal this month is 7,500 steps each day. I will check my steps at 7 pm each night after dinner dishes are done and if I am short of my goal, I will hop on the treadmill and watch a little TV while I walk until I meet my goal 😊
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier

I'm so sorry! That does NOT look good; all that ice!

The road looks terrible. Has it been treated at all or is there NO equipment? 😟
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier Be really really careful on that ice especially when it's covered with snow.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @nordakota Welcome! Your plan is a good one. Finishing up the day right :)
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @SummerSkier Be really really careful on that ice especially when it's covered with snow.

• SummerSkier
    Options
    Well what I was going to say was that I only pulled the skis out because I wanted the ski poles in order to be careful. Yeah no sense in slipping or twisting my ankle for sure. The ice was deadly it was like a crust over 6 inches of snow perfect for breaking ankles.
  • dcbern17
    dcbern17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone 👋. So excited to be here.

This february, when I finish working, I will watch a tv show while stationary biking for 3 mins.

When I finish I will reward myself by actually getting off the bike after 3 mins instead of pushing myself to do more 🙂

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,987 Member
    Options
    nordakota wrote: »
    Hi there! New here! My goal this month is 7,500 steps each day. I will check my steps at 7 pm each night after dinner dishes are done and if I am short of my goal, I will hop on the treadmill and watch a little TV while I walk until I meet my goal 😊

Welcome @nordakota !!

Perfect plan! Please let’s us know how it goes!!

Will you track each day? Maybe something like this

2/17 🎖 7,517
    2/18 🎖 7,600
    2/19 6,660
    2/20 🎖 8,322
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    dcbern17 wrote: »
    Hi everyone 👋. So excited to be here.

This february, when I finish working, I will watch a tv show while stationary biking for 3 mins.

When I finish I will reward myself by actually getting off the bike after 3 mins instead of pushing myself to do more 🙂

Hey @dcbern17 !!
    We’re very glad you are here, too!

I love your plan! YOU are in control!!
    Let us know how it goes!

2/18. 📺✅ ⏰3 mins✅ 🛑✅
    2/19 📺✅. ⏰3 mins✅ 🛑+2 mins
    2/20. 📺.☎️ ⏰3 mins✅ 🛑✅
    2/21 📺✅ ⏰3 mins✅ 🛑✅
    2/22 📺✅ ⏰3 mins✅ 🛑✅
  • nebslp
    Options
    @dcbern17 Great idea! Tiny habits are the best way to build up to big changes.

I took a two day break from oatmeal and got back on it again. I like it, but man! Every day is a bit much!!! But 15/17 days is a win for me.

Texas is really suffering right now. I hope @texasgardnr and @SummerSkier are staying safe and well. Anyone else from Texas or the hard hit areas?
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I am here but yesterday was pretty ugly and bleak and it felt like with not only the power not even trying to come on and the water pressure dropping that the entire infrastructure was going to fail like dominoes. I also woke up with a BAD migraine and tried to get thru it with some oatmeal and a pain pill. Unfortunately I think it was Carbon Monoxide poisoning and I ended up throwing everything up an hour later in spite of best efforts. Been probably 20 years since I puked. :( Anyway, now the mere thought of cooked oatmeal make me a little nauseous. I hate that but that's how those things go with me.

Today we had a blip of power at 6:15 a for 15 seconds. The first sign of life since 4 am Monday. It was gone but it woke me up and I felt a little stir of encouragement. Then at 8:15 it came back on for 15 minutes! WOW that was a tease. But at 9 am it came back and knock on wood it is still on 6.5 hrs later. There are many still without but a neighbor catty corner from me NEVER lost power. How strange. And of course the water is still out and we are under a boil water notice also. But one thing at a time.

I did get WIFI and computers back and Backup battery UPS are charging themselves up after expiring on Monday. I think my pipes are in the clear but we won't know until we thaw more. The roads are trash. it did get up to 32 and with almost sun there is a lot of melting and huge snow and icicle slides off the trees and roof s. I was laughing on my walk because when I lived in Md it was mandatory for people to clear their sidewalks. We don't even have snow tools to do it here~! Very dangerous out walking so I used my ski poles and just meandered with every step very focused to keep off the ice or to find the more snowy traction portions.

My hot hand warmers were a blessing as were the rechargeable flashlight and the little temp/time battery gages. I probably would not have made it if not for the gas range. But now I need CO monitors because I think some of my headaches in the morning might be from the furnace... YIKES! I have learned a lot and altho I tried to prepare as best I could when we saw the forecast, it was a LOT worse than I ever thought it could get and in the evenings after it got dark it was pretty terrifying and lonely.

Thank goodness my horse was taken care of and I still can't get to the barn but maybe tomorrow. fingers crossed!

Summerreportingin
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier What an ordeal! I hope your power stays on for good and water issues are cleared up soon. I always use my trekking poles when walking on icy, slushy stuff here at home. They’ve kept me upright more than a time or two. Bandit will be happy to see you...hopefully tomorrow.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    So it is interesting for me to get a new perspective on things. A lot of the "habits" I have put on here are completely out the window when you are just working to survive and keep everything going. Things are starting to melt and now we have Icicle warnings! Lol. It is true tho. quite dangerous. We have power but still no water so rushing around this morning to collect a lot of snow and ice to use for rinsing things and the toilets.

So grateful the barn did not lose power and Bandit has a heated water bucket.... small things.

Now to start sorting out all those photos.... ROTFLOL..

summer
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier You do see things differently after a few days of living without the things we take for granted on a daily basis. You can imagine what refugees and people living in a war torn country deal with on a daily basis with no end in sight for them. I’ve been without heat often enough to know you wouldn’t wish it on your worst enemy. Having no water would just magnify the misery. Hope things are looking up for all Texans today ... (Mr Cruz?🤔)
  • nebslp
    Options
    I’m reading Atomic Habits and taking copious notes🤓. Just on chapter 2 and am rethinking how I make goals and understanding why they fall by the wayside so quickly. Oatmeal again today and it was super yummy today. Guess I found the right combination this time.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I’m reading Atomic Habits and taking copious notes🤓. Just on chapter 2 and am rethinking how I make goals and understanding why they fall by the wayside so quickly. Oatmeal again today and it was super yummy today. Guess I found the right combination this time.

Sounds like powerful information, @nebslp!

And, I “found” my old iron... 🤣
    My new organizing mantra, “I shall never place two different items one behind the other on a deep shelf without labeling the shell with at least the name of the item in back! Heehee!
  • nebslp
    Options
    :D@MadisonMolly2017 Oh that is hilarious! It's not your fault. You were just an inch too short to see what was back there!!!! Now if only the @SummerSkier sock would turn up it would be all good :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,772 Member
    Options
    Wow! @SummerSkier you sure are getting an extra dose of winter! Take care and stay safe as things warm up a bit.

I’m pretty sure the photos will keep.

@nordakota welcome your plan sounds great. That’s a solid step count goal! Be sure to celebrate every time you hit that number.

@dcbern17 tiny habits are the way to go! You’ll laugh, but when I started journaling, my goal was to write one word in my journal. I’ve almost filled a journal since September when I started.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    And, I “found” my old iron... 🤣
    My new organizing mantra, “I shall never place two different items one behind the other on a deep shelf without labeling the shell with at least the name of the item in back! Heehee!

Maddie is NOT short. At least in my mind she is tall and svelte. But SO happy you have found the iron. The sock probably has a MILLION other items which have joined it since the last week. It's really hard when you are fumpbling around in the dark with a flashlight to keep track of anything.

@77tes you are SO right. I remember your one word goal and that was an amazing tiny habit.

@nebslp you and the rest are inspiring me to perhaps read that book. No oatmeal for me. lol. It's All ok tho.

@PKM0515 sorry for the late response but we have no snow plows here and even if we did it would not have helped. They do try to treat the roads before an "event" but this one started with 1/2 in of ICE. And then 6 inches of snow and then because we needed a sandwich another 1/2 inch of thick ice. So when you walked you had to punch thru the ice on top to get to the snow. and the temps stayed below 10 for 2 days. Some places almost close to 0 with I don't want to think about wind chill. :( Even with 2 days where the temp got over 32 and yesterday close to 40 for a few hours I could see just HOW much ice and snow was on the road. No treatment would have helped. Yesterday on my drive to the barn the roads were mostly clear if you stayed in the middle lane but there was still a lot melting onto the road so overnight I am sure that turned to black ice with another hard freeze.