What's on your mind today?

Options
123457»

Replies

• KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was feeling "adventurous" and was making adjustments to my Fitbit/MFP sync and exercise settings. I am not exactly sure what I did, but I hope to never do that again!

I was trying to figure out how the "allow negative calorie adjustments" affects my daily calories. At one point with the adjustments I was trying to make to fix it, I got my calories burned up to 1213! Fitbit had readjusted down to 900 but my true actual calories burned from the treadmill was 432. I read the FAQ article in the Fitbit group about syncing Fitbit with MFP. The article suggested letting Fitbit sync the exercise data to MFP and log food directly into MFP - which is how I have my Fitbit set up. I was trying to "learn" how the adjustments actually work. It appears that Fitbit updates with adjustments multiple times during the day.

I am still confused on this and just re-read the explanation in the exercise settings for it (enable negative adjustments). I misunderstood and thought it was just for "exercise" and I was hoping it would stop adding back my calories burned into my daily calorie allotment. If I am understanding it correctly now, this adjustment is between the 3rd party apps like Fitbit to adjust what Fitbit says my total daily calorie burn is, which includes exercise and the calories burned in the BMR number, against MFP projection of my daily BMR number and any exercise I have added into MFP directly. This is done to help maintain my 500 calorie deficit to help me lose weight.

I have the negative adjustment selected again. And if I am understanding this correctly, I want to have this adjustment selected because the Fitbit with the heart monitor is more accurate than the MFP BMR projection, and I am wearing the Fitbit all day.

Nothing like trying to figure something out as I type a post, right? I am still foggy on this but I am leaving negative calories enabled for now. I might try this "experiment" one more time, now that I understand the adjustment includes exercise and a BMR reconciliation adjustment between Fitbit and MFP.

My main question, and why I am trying to understand this Fitbit/MFP adjustment in the first place, is to understand if there is a way to stop having MFP add back my calories burned into my daily calorie allotment? Or is that something I will need to track on my own. I want to limit my calories to 1450 a daily, and my calories remaining number from MFP changes due to these adjustments. I don't know if that is something I can tell MFP to stop adjusting, or that is how MFP is set up and I will need to "manually" track my remaining calories against the set calories allowed of 1450?

So I wanted to post this and ask how my fellow UAC'ers are handling the negative adjustment and Fitbit to MFP sync to help me understand this better and for some advice on this matter.

Thanks!
    Jen

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,884 Member
    Options
    @KCJen I simply set my calories to the amount I want and ignore exercise (but you have to pay for premium to get that option). I found it was a lot simpler all around not to try to adjust what I eat every day based on what either MFP or Fitbit or Apple watch told me I burned or did not burn. Of course I am in maintenance so I calculate my TDEE off the Apple watch weekly pretty much as a check.

Since you are not interested in MFP giving you alternative calorie adjustments perhaps you can just set it one way. 1450 seems like a reasonable # to use.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    @KCjen I have set my calorie goal for a fixed number each day and I wear my Apple Watch all day with the exception of charge time at night. I have MFP and Lose It linked to my apple on my phone along with my old Garmin connect I use that just to track mileage thought I would keep it active if I ever switched back from apple. The number of calories I am for is 1230 and I am very active in exercise I find this works well for me. Good luck!
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    @KCJen , Like summerskier I manually set my calories to the level I want. I have a very cheap fitness tracker that can't be synced with MFP so I manually enter any exercise calories that I want to add. (I usually err on the side of caution).
    It seems to me that you could simply de-connect your fitbit and manually enter exercise if the sync feature bothers you.

Keep it Simple.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @summerskier @snowshoe072 @lesdarts180 Thank you for your responses. I am going to set my calorie goal in MFP at 1450 and keep my Fitbit connected and let it sync to MFP. I will manually track my calories thru the day and not go by what MFP tells me what I have "remaining". I have a spreadsheet in Excel set up to help with it. Thanks for your input. I want to keep things simple, so they will develop into healthy habits that I will continue to do as a sustained healthy lifestyle.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,884 Member
    Options
    this!!! But sadly no check marks. LOL

Make sure you add a colon on either side of the word:
    -1- :-1:
    +1 - :+1:
    angry -
    anguished - :anguished:
    astonished - :astonished:
    bawling - :bawling:
    bigsmile -