WaistAways - May 2021 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    after a rough Monday (eating wise) on to a better Tuesday - even though working from home this week, I'm going to set up my salad production line and get 4 prepped for the remainder of this week. I've found 3 key things that I like in my otherwise simple salads - a boiled egg, feta or blue cheese (just a little) and chickpeas. I do like lettuce and crunchy stuff but those 3 things make it much more satisfying when I'm done.
    @jugar - I've not had to quarantine for this whole last year and have occasionally thought how I'd LOVE to be told to stay home for two weeks - all that I'd accomplish in the garden right now!! ha! Anyhow, I hope your daughter can savor the time with her horse and that wide open countryside.

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,260 Member
    Options
    I was able to workout today for the first time since injuring my hand! The hip was only a minor discomfort as well so that's really exciting for me. It's amazing just how quickly you can lose core strength and balance though! I was tipping all over the place.
    I think I have found my motivator though. We have a stand-up paddleboard and I'm a total beginner. Last summer I was out in the middle of our bay in the lake, lost my balance and fell off. #1, I didn't have the core stability to recover my balance quickly enough to prevent making a splash, and #2, I didn't have the strength to pull myself back up onto the board. I had to tow it back to shore in order to climb back on. My goal is to find targeted core, stability, and upper body workouts so that by the time the water warms up enough to swim, I'll be ready to tackle that paddleboard and win! I tried a Caroline Girvan ab workout today and I'll try to find some more to mix in.

Excited!! (for exercise - this is so new for me!)

Yay for feeling better. The paddleboard sounds like fun. May I suggest Pilates to build those core muscles. Even 10-15 minutes every other day makes a HUGE difference. Some of here subscribe to The Balanced Life with Robin Long. She has free youtube videos, so maybe look her up if your interested and see if you like it. This 56 year old found that I do actually have core muscles. I once told a trainer I was born without core muscles! You should have seen his face. LOL :p

• ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    All this core talk is making me shudder @micki48 and @PlaneMonkey ... sounds like I'm due to look up The Balanced Life myself lol
  • micki48
    Options
    Wahoooo! I've read all the posts (I hope) and think I have caught up with everyone's news! Welcome to all our new friends!!!! This is an amazing group. I hope you will get so much out of being part of our group.

What an amazing month you all have had. I was so impressed with the end of the month statistics. You are #1!!! Way to go team. Let's do it again. I will try to help this month.

@jugar I missed you too. That's the longest I've been away. It has been a heck of a month, but that is the past. Now forward we go. My son in law is gaining strength back and trying some Pilates too to build back the muscle he lost. He is so skinny now after the ordeal of a GI bleed and 6 transfusions, but I will cook him some good, healthy food.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I really have missed you all so much. And I want to say THANK YOU for all those posts I just read. Hearing your progress and stories is so inspiring and has really helped me feel like my head is back in the game/journey. So happy to share this journey with all of you friends!! <3

Intro - I am Michele, 56, and this is my third May with Team Waistaways! It's a fabulous group. I am co-captain with @jugar and put together the weekly step report. (Thanks again Liselyn for covering for me. I know your plate is already VERY full running this whole operation.). I live in North Carolina in the US. I'm married (almost 38 years) and have a grown daughter (33) and son (29). I have one amazing granddaughter who just turned 3.

My journey to health has been life long. I thought I was fat in HS (I was not). But like many women, most of my weight gain happened after having children. I did not prioritize my health as I was busy being mom. They are grown, I have no excuse. I am not a "crazy" dieter. I have made it to Lifetime on Weight Watchers, but diets that heavily restrict are not my thing. In fact, DIETING, is not my thing. At this point and with the help of this group, I have learned that this is about life changes. There is no end to this. Maybe the losing part, but the maintaining part always has to be a focus.

Speaking of maintaining, that is about all I have done (sort of) for the last year and four months. I did not gain the average pandemic gain, but some of the weight I'd lost did find me again. My first year on this team I did very well with dropping 20+ pounds, but like many of us who have lost a bit of weight, that has slowed down. I believe part of it is me not having the mojo I have when I started (I hear you @YinxFed and anyone else) but I am now post-menopausal and that doesn't help. But as @jugar has proven, that doesn't make it impossible either.

So, I am trying to find something novel (newness always helps my motivation) to get me on the right track again. I NEED to log. I used to be really good at that, but after about a year and a half rebelled and stopped logging. That's not helpful to me as much as I wish I could do that. So, I WILL log from this day forward to my weigh in. I can do that, right? I will also get back to my short Pilates workouts, which I love and NEED. I will also make time to get in 3 good walks a week. And of course attend to my mental health by going out in my yard and talking to my beautiful little plants. That is my happy place indeed.

Welcome once again to all the new friends and welcome back to all the continuing friends! We are so happy to have you here. I am so happy to share this journey with you all and be back. I will also check in every day, despite my dying phone and wonky MFP!

xoxo Michele
  • micki48
    Options
    Oh, I did fit in 12 minutes of Pilates this morning!
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Robin Long Pilates. I'm on it! I've adjusted my workout plan to have a tiny abs session at the end, I could tack on a 10 minute Pilates (I've never done Pilates.....) and still be under a 30 minute total workout time. 30 minutes of suffering isn't really all that bad for the benefits we reap...
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @micki48 !!!! It is so good to "hear" your voice again. And it sounds like we have a couple more people leaning into the Pilates camp - I hope it does you as much good as it has Michele and me. I am enjoying my GMB programs as well. It sounds like we are all moving into a good new season with more energy for the (sometimes dreaded) exercise.

This morning, I had a good trail ride and a bad coaching session on the giant horse I'm using at the moment. After such a long break from riding, and then getting on a horse approximately the size of an intercity bus, I am not feeling like the rider I used to be! On the trail, no problem - the horses always want to go out there. But in the ring, asking for very specific things, I am quite klutzy at the moment. Ugh! This will pass (I hope!), but it is frustrating. I met a woman I knew 30 years ago when we boarded our horses at the same place - she now boards where I was this morning, and where I'll be moving my horse in July. She is 79 and still riding all the time! I'm inspired. We always had a good connection back then, so maybe there is a renewed friendship and a riding buddy in our near future. I could use one now that I don't have my daughter to ride with.

Paddleboard. Now that is in my head... I might try one some time!
  • gak71
    gak71 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey new joinies! I am Sam from Munich, Germany. I am 35 years old, work as an advertising creative and live with roommates. I have been on mfp since 2012 and with this group since the end of last year.

I have been fat forever, I think I was fat in my ultrasound pics too. Boredom eating is my kryptonite and it's ironic that the first time I have been successful at weight loss is at a time when I have been bored perpetually, thanks to the lockdown. I started at 361 lbs and I am 222 lbs as of last week. I plan to get down to 196 lbs by July at the rate of 2 lbs/week, after which, I will focus on body recomposition and try to get down to 10% bf by July 2022. It's going to be very difficult but I am feeling motivated.

Wow, very impressive! Other than monitoring calories are you following any particular diet?
  • micki48
    Options
    Well, I logged everything. It was not under, but it got logged so I’ll call that a win. Baby steps. I know exactly what I could have done to be under, but I made different choices at dinner. Grace over guilt.

Drank my water. ✅ No walk. Had a few big thunderstorms and was watching my granddaughter while her parents went to a follow up dr visit. Her other Grammy was here too.

Not at my 9k step goal yet, but I can make it. I will make it.

Not a perfect day, but a pretty good one.

@happimess01 Sam, you have made amazing progress. So proud of you. I know you can reach your goals. You are so consistent!! Keep up the great work.

@jugar Yay, for you riding that intercity bus on four legs. You amaze me and kudos to your 79 year old friend for still riding as well. Way to go.
  • jugar
    Options
    Our lovely weightless Tuesday is coming to a close... Wednesday people - are you ready?

Let's see those numbers flowing in tomorrow:

@PlaneMonkey
    @AshenMoon
    @EvMakesChanges
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @Pearl4686
    @MoStacy

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    @jugar I've never ridden a horse. I look forward to trying at a lower weight.. another weight restriction item I can look forward to.
  • jugar
    Options
    @jugar I've never ridden a horse. I look forward to trying at a lower weight.. another weight restriction item I can look forward to.

It's a blast! And once you get past walking, it is great exercise. And horses are just cool :sunglasses:
This discussion has been closed.