• Healthyme7410
    Healthyme7410 Posts: 9,719 Member
    Options
    U - Underground root vegetables - beets, turnips, potatoes, peanuts, etc
  • LosinSusin
    LosinSusin Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    V - Vietnamese Balm.

Elsholtzia ciliata, commonly known as Vietnamese balm, xiang ru (香薷) or kinh giới in Vietnamese, is a plant native to Asia. In the US, it is commonly known as Crested Late Summer Mint.[1] In US Vietnamese grocery stores, it is called Kinh Gioi, Vietnamese Lemon Balm, or Vietnamese Lemon Mint.[2] Wikipedia
  • 316Judith
    316Judith Posts: 7,438 Member
    Options
    W- Waxed Green Beans
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    X - Ximenia: Originating from a bush, these small fruits offer a sour punch and are enjoyed raw or transformed into jellies and jams. (Google)
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    Y - Yardlong Bean

Also known as: Asparagus bean, pea bean, long-podded cowpea, Chinese long bean, snake bean, bodi, and bora.
  • 316Judith
    Options
    Thank you Linda and Susan, I wasn’t aware of these fruits and veggies, thanks for the background info 😊

Z- Zucchini
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    A - Akebia - Akebia quinata, commonly known as chocolate vine, five-leaf chocolate vine, or five-leaf akebia, is a shrub that is native to Japan, China and Korea, commonly used as an ornamental / edible plant in the United States and Europe. In its native habitat, it is often found on hills, in hedges, on trees, along forest edges and streams, and on mountainous slopes. Wikipedia
  • 316Judith
    Options
    B- Beans
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    C - Cacoa bean
  • 316Judith
    Options
    D- Dates
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    F - Fiddlehead Ferns

Fiddleheads or fiddlehead greens are the furled fronds of a fledgling fern,[1] harvested for use as a vegetable. Wikipedia
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    G - Gourds - The Cucurbitaceae, also called cucurbits or the gourd family, are a plant family consisting of about 965 species in around 95 genera. Those most important to humans are the following: Cucurbita – squash, pumpkin, zucchini or courgette, some gourds. (Google) We raised ornimental gourds that we dried and made into useful things. the small egg shaped ones were especially good to use when my Mom needed something to put in the toe of a sock when she was darning a hole. The bigger ones can be made into bird houses, planters, dippers, etc. It was also interesting to see that a guard is considered a fruit. I had thought they were a vegetable.
  • LosinSusin
    Options
    I love your gourd stories, Linda. I also thought they were vegetables. We have small ones here out west called Paddy Melons. They are round. One year my mother threaded some on string, hung them on a fence and spray painted them in Christmas colours for our tree.

H - Hungarian Wax Peppers

The Hungarian wax pepper is a medium variety of Capsicum annuum with a wide Scoville Scale range of 1,000 to 15,000 Scoville units. Wikipedia
  • 316Judith
    Options
    I- Iceberg Lettuce
  • Healthyme7410
    Options
    J - Jackfruit
  • 316Judith
    Options
    K- Kale