Daily Eating on a Budget Chat

Options

Replies

• CSEGUIN2
    CSEGUIN2 Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

I log all my meals the day before and then edit them the next day as needed. I think for you it might be just training your brain to not respond to words and pictures of food. It can be hard. Also you could try tracking your meal just before you eat it. I hope this helps.

Sunny and -12°c with wind chill. Got some learning done this morning. Maybe not as much as planned but that's ok. Workouts done before lunch. No walk or work as client called. She was not feeling good and did not want to have to come get me. She normally doesn't get me as I walk but she didn't want me walking in this cold. I informed her getting there was not a problem. But would rather wait till she is feeling better for me to go clean. She agreed. So played cards with Hubby as I have not been home much and when I am have been busy.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today has been sunny, windy, and freezing. Had to venture out today to go grocery shopping. Walked there but bought to much to carry home so took a cab. The wind almost blew me off my feet a couple times. I am learning new things with my studies and some things I already know thanks to Sparks, MFP and TOPS. My new schedule at the moment seems to be working for now. I know at some point I will have to adjust it. Looking forward to switching one of my reps from 3# to 5#. Son will be happy when I start using them. With our TOPS group shutdown again I am starting my COVID challenge. For anyone wondering this means my goal is to lose as much as I can before we go back. The only difference is I only have 14 lbs till goal. This means my aim is to be at maintenance.
  • the_frugal_chef
    the_frugal_chef Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    This is just a little discussion I would like to speak to you about...

There is a diet book called The Ultimate Tea Diet by Mark "Dr. Tea" Ukra

There is something about this book I won't let go...

Many years ago, I borrowed the book from the library. I then wanted my own copy but the book was so expensive I could not afford.

I then was at the Salvation Army Thrift Store in the checkout line. Something told me to get out of line and go to the back of the strore. So, I did and there was an The Ultimate Tea Diet copy for $2.00!

With this diet, all you need to do is drink green, white or black tea, hot or iced, all day. No sugar. Sensible food.

If this Slim Fast Diet does not work, I am going to do the ever blessed tea diet. I think that The Ultimate Tea Diet just might be for me?

Photo by Amazon

r4n801m9hzc8.jpg

• beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks!

Today, I took my leftover homemade ratatouille and served it over Modern Complete Protein pasta, with a side of sausage. It was very good.

I am back to tracking my food and doing better staying away from sweets. I am going to gather up the bags if sweets and stick them in my sister's room. She wonders why I eat the sweets and I wonder why she brings them in the house and leaves them where I can see them!

Dysfunctional much?

I joined a 30 day art challenge where you work on one piece a little each day. We are supposed to have fun with it instead of looking at it with a critical eye. I started it out with colored pencils, and added some acrylic paints today. It is the first time in decades where I am doing free form art instead of just coloring in a book or on the computer.

I am excited and a little intimidated at the same time. I will focus on the fun.

Tomorrow, I plan on putting salmon in the crockpot with frozen peas and fresh mushrooms, along with garlic and onion powder and parsley and dill. I am back to cooking healthy as any dinner we order in these days is gross.

I think the tea is a good idea! One of my favorite tea is a good earth spicy tea. It is naturally sweet. I like it iced. I usually eat better when I drink tea.

Sending hugs to all!
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Also, Dr. Fung (the fasting doc) focuses on tea a lot. It is really good for one's health!
  • the_frugal_chef
    the_frugal_chef Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Today, I took my leftover homemade ratatouille

I am back to tracking my food and doing better staying away from sweets. I am going to gather up the bags if sweets and stick them in my sister's room. She wonders why I eat the sweets

Tomorrow, I plan on putting salmon in the crockpot with frozen peas and fresh mushrooms, along with garlic and onion powder and parsley and dill

I think the tea is a good idea! One of my favorite tea is a good earth spicy tea. It is naturally sweet. I like it iced. I usually eat better when I drink tea.

Sending hugs to all!

What is ratatouille?

I think my tracking of food is sabotaging my diet. For everyone else, it is good!

I have never had salmon. Peas and mushrooms are delicious!

Do know the name-brand of your favorite tea? Is it black, green or white?

Thank you!

• beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Brand: Good earth tea, and I believe it is called spicy sweet.

Ratatouille: 1 raw eggplant chopped, 1 small onion chopped, garlic to taste at least 1 teaspoon, chopped mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, and one can of chopped tomatoes. Salt, dash of white pepper, and about 5 shakes of "red hot" in it. Simmer covered with lid cracked until done al dente style if you will be using it as a casserole. I used dried onion and garlic these days to make it easier.

My mom got the recipe from the heart association cookbook from the 70s. I don't use the recipe; otherwise, I'd post it. I just remember how she made it.

It is a yummy side dish or it can be served over pasta. I put it in a casserole the other day with a layer of cooked ground and drained ground beef. I used the biscuit recipe off the box of gluten free bisquick to do the topping, using 50:50 ratio of bisquick flour and corn meal. I had to add a little more oatmilk to it to loosen up the mixture to pour on top. I cooked it in the 350 degree f oven for 40 minutes, but it still had too much juice. Then, I reduced the temp to warm (200 degrees F) and let it sit in the warm oven for about 30 minutes. It worked! No more mushy casserole! It was so good.

We ate it over 3 days, first part in the casserole, 2nd part stored in fridge as a side dish or snack, and there were enough leftovers to use on the third day. I poured it over a complete protein pasta and served sausage on the side which I cooked in the microwave.

The micronutrients from the veggies really help the health!
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    The tea is herbal, but I love all types of tea!
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    I wanted to share that I fasted until 2:30 pm today and it normalized my blood glucose! I think it was about a 14.5 hour fast. I must get back to it more often. I cut out night time eating and skip breakfast. It is the only way I can control my bg.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Do not like tea of any sort so I don't think that would work for me.

I have never had ratatouille. Probably because it has eggplant and I am not a fan of it.

Today has been very productive! The snow is almost gone 😒 even with how cold it is out. Finished reading chapter 1 in my studies. Answered the questions, and took the quiz at the end to see how much I knew. 50% is not great but at least I know I need to study more even if I think I know it lol. Still have online material to look at so that might be the other secret. Raiders are playing tonight so I know I won't get much of anything done tonight other than maybe some crafting.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

WOOHOO! GO RAIDERS! GREAT GAME!

Today has been a great day. Informed Mom and Son that the COVID challenge starts tomorrow. Son not excited because he know he gained since when ever he last weighed. I told him to not worry about the gain, it's the starting point. I am giving them both weight goals to aim for to see if that helps motivate them. Maybe there will be a prize at the end who knows. Enjoyed some rebound jogging along with my other workouts. Studying is still going well I think it's still early so time will tell. Found out my sister's workplace has COVID pretty bad. She works in a daycare. So far her class doesn't have it. So my Son is definitely stuck at Mom's for the foreseeable future. Tomorrow going to Mom's to get on the computer and see if I can get access to the online stuff with out paying. I hope so or this may be rougher than planned. So as tomorrow is weigh day I am looking forward to see where I am at. Not sure what to expect but will except it as is and keep pushing forward. Tonight's dinner is TV dinners since we couldn't decide on anything else.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Freezing here. Can't even get warm with layers. Really need to invest in warmer layers. Oh well money is tighter than tight and at this point lost the client that was a pain. Anyways today was rest and weigh day. Gained 0.4 lb. Not a big deal as it was a more accurate weight than last week at TOPS. No extra weight for various reasons when I weigh at home. So we will see what next week shows as I continue to weigh at home until TOPS is back. I must just keep pushing and finding what works now for me. I know some of the issue is that I am not being as strict about my own choices and goals. Bought my son a nice journal style notebook to use in his journey. I am hoping this will help him see what he needs to work on and that he can do it if he wants to bad enough. I also found Shrink sheets! Haven't seen or used them in yearsss. Looking forward to making little rewards for us as we succeed in our challenge. His assignment for this week is to track food, water and exercise. He doesn't have to track food amounts as I know he does like doing it. He has also set his goals.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Making this quick tonight. I have had a productive day getting things done. Studies are going well I think. Having chicken quarter, leftover potato patty and salad for dinner.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today has been a very busy crazy day. My day started out normal. Study, breakfast, workouts and cleaned fridge. Then my day turned stressful. Mom fell and had the ambulance take her to the hospital. Her nurse called me as she could not reach Mom. I said let me try my son as he is there. No answer from either phone. Called nurse back and suggested she speak to management of the building. That's how I found out she was going to the hospital. Tracked Mom down at one hospital. Two and a half hour wait to be seen at least. Still couldn't reached my son. Had lunch and called my brother-in-law. He hadn't heard from him. Called my brother and let h know the info I had. Then had Hubby call son until I got there to see if he could get him to answer. After taking the bus to Mom's found out he was sleeping. He is not feeling well and come to find out he took 2 days worth of pills yesterday. Not good on the kinds he takes. Got him to eat a little. Then left. Came home played a game of cards with Hubby, made pastry dough, and rebound jogging. The update on Mom is that she still has not seen a Dr. and with COVID none of us can be with her.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Thanks for the responses about Mom. Here is the update. She did not see a doctor until mid morning today, she has 3 cracked ribs and phenomena most likely. She has been admitted for about 5 days we will see. She was not given a room until sometime late afternoon. She is in a lot of pain and hangs up on us when we call her and that's if she even answers.

Back to me...lol... Today has been good and aiming for 15,000+ steps. Yesterday I reached 15,000+ steps! Worked today as well. Felt great to be at work and to see my client feeling better. Hubby decided he wanted takeout so the deal was I pick and he gets lol. Only way for him to get exercise. He tried to back out more than once but I won. I am still in range and so happy. Still struggling with retraining my brain that I don't need food after dinner.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Howdy folks!

We are expecting more snow this weekend. Hopefully, it won't be too much, but it could be a whopper like last time.

Hope everyone stays warm and safe!
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Becca - hope you stay warm and safe as well!

Mom update: according to her Dr. She is on iv antibiotics for the phenomena. They had her on strong pain killers last night but was not very responsive this morning so they took them away and is now only getting Tylenol. Monday physio is supposed to work with her. The Dr. Is hoping to have her home by late in the week. We can't even call her as she won't answer the phone. This makes it even more frustrating.

Today was a good day. Got most of planned things done. Trying to reach 15,000+ steps but may not happen and that's ok. Sun was out and warm but the air is freezing. Working on trying to stay warm in the apartment.

• CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today has been sunny and cold. Today started out good. Studied, and worked out. Then the dreaded phone call came.

Mom's Update: She has tested positive for COVID. Not sure when she contracted it. She is being moved to pre ICU and has had her oxygen increased. She says hi when the nurse told her to and said uh multiple times during her conversation with my sister. The doctor says she could go either way and has indicated that if need be she would like to be revived.

So yes I have been on auto pilot since. Making calls and doing other things around the house. Even played a couple games of cards with Hubby. I am feeling stressed, scared, and worried most. Since I was in contact with her on Tuesday myself and Hubby as well as my son are in quarantine for 5 days to monitor for symptoms. So locked in our places till Friday unless we show symptoms. My son has the highest chance as he has been with Mom the whole time. We just don't know if she contracted it in hospital or before. I also have to inform my client as I was there on Friday and she is elderly. I am determined to stay as active as possible and hoping my brain works in autopilot for my workouts tomorrow if I don't wake up feeling better.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Thanks for all your prayers and kind words. The unconditional support from all means the world to my family and I. You give me the strength to keep on going.

Mom update: She has still not been moved to pre ICU. We aren't sure if it is because she has stabilized for now or if they don't have room yet. As I said she has stabilized as of last update. She may have less oxygen not sure. Her INR is out of wack which does not surprise me but can affect her heart valve or can lead to serve bleeding depending on which way it's going. They are also having trouble getting her port in and working.

I am grateful that she has stabilized. I will take her other issues over her getting worse any day. I know the others are fixable. Today started out great. Studied and worked out. Also made several calls that needed to be done. One was to one of my Mom's best friends. She was somewhat surprised to hear about Mom. We had a really good chat as she is like a mother to me. She has struggled with her weight most of her life. But she is still aiming for that goal. She told me that Mom has been bragging about my weight loss journey. I was a little surprised as she is always telling me how I am doing something wrong.

Anyways I was learning about setting goals and instant gratification in my studies today. So while I was working out my mind decided to list some of my instant gratifications. The big one I felt today was feeling taller while stretching after my workout. What is your instant gratification?
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Mom update: She seems stable for oxygen as they haven't increased it. Her INR is still out of wack which is causing all kinds of problems as it is to low meaning thin blood. If they try to insert feeding tube she could bleed to death. So she has not been eating or drinking since who knows when. They're just starting iv for fluids. Also her liver is failing. Not surprised as she's most likely dehydrated.

Today was rest and weigh day. Down 4.8 lbs🎉! I was so happy to see the scale move in the right direction. All my hard work and determination payed off! Now to just keep going. Made butter tarts with just raisins. Some mini for me and regular for hubby. Also had left over filling so just baked that in the oven. Yummmm😋! Kept some out and froze the rest for another time. Also played cards with Hubby. It was a nice relaxed day.