Daily Eating on a Budget Chat

Options

Replies

• CSEGUIN2
    CSEGUIN2 Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today was a great day. Planned exercise done! Also did dishes and laundry. Went to the bank and got my accounts all straightened out. They are reversing all the charges in my savings account. So far that's $30. Very surprising and greatful. Got the cookie dough made and the hamburger cooked for pasta sauce at work. The residents had chicken quarter, rice pilaf, California mix vegetables, tomato soup and lemon jello with whipped cream. Need to go to the storage unit and take some Halloween stuff back and bring some Christmas decorations home. Will suck as I have to do it by bus. But I need at least some of Christmas in the apartment.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today is definitely colder than it has been. Had to turn the heat up a degree after having turned it down. Don't care for to many layers when in the house as it encourages me to be lazy. Exercise done. Took a couple of small boxes to the storage unit with my cart and brought back a couple of small boxes of decorations, Christmas wrap bag, a Christmas picture that was Mom's and a white elephant gift for my TOPS Christmas party auction. For the trip to the storage unit I got on the wrong bus and had to walk quite a bit farther than planned. I use to walk that distance and way more and it was easy. Now not so much. Definitely a sign on how much I have let things slack exercise wise. For dinner the residents had breaded cod(struggled with getting it cooked enough), oven roasted potatoes, corn, turkey rice soup, and coconut cream pie for dessert. Tonight had a couple of issues with residents and when cleaning the fryer the coil slipped and fell back into the oil splashing everywhere. An extra 15 minutes or more at work thanks to my mess. Tomorrow's plan is exercise, cookie dough making, maybe storage unit if it's not raining and I have time and work. Not sure if my Son is coming this weekend or not. Kind of hope he is so he can help me get things done.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today was a great day! Got my workouts done and also even did dishes, laundry and took a nap. Oh and also got my gingerbread cookies mixed up. For dinner the residents had penne and meat sauce, salad, cream of potato soup, garlic bread and apple cookies I made for dessert. My Son showed up to spend the weekend. He has an appointment tomorrow so some of my plans will not happen. But we will see how the whole weekend goes.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

It's been a couple of days since I've been on. Wow a lot to read. Everyone has been busy.

Saturday was a busy day. It started out with some exercise, then a trip to my son's appointment. On the way home we stopped at a market for some fruit and beef bones for my fur baby and the storage unit to get the rest of the Christmas deco (possibly missed some). By the time we got home by cab it was after 2. Had a quick bite and headed to my friends so I could book hubby's and my train tickets for Thursday. Ended up ordering out as I was just to tired and busy to cook dinner. While waiting for dinner to arrive we did some decorating.

Sunday was another busy day. I went to my church service and coffee hour and then went with my Son to his right after. I don't mind going to both and would do it every Sunday if he went even when he was at home. After Church finished decorating and discovered we missed some Christmas decorations at the bin. Otherwise I have no idea what happened to them. In the evening we went to a Chinese buffet for dinner with family for my Son's birthday. He will be 23 tomorrow. Had a great time and tried to keep the choices somewhat on the healthy side.

Today was another crazy day. Slept in and woke with a start from a weird dream. Got dressed to exercise and ended up getting called into work right before I started. So it was shower and change of wardrobe and plans. For Lunch the residents had chicken tenders, fries, mushroom soup and eclairs. They ate all the soup couldn't believe it. For dinner the residents had cabbage rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots, tomato soup and leftover deserts from the weekend and lunch. Also got their gingerbread cookies baked. Now they just need to be decorated. Also made jello for tomorrow to help out my friend (manager) as she is working all day. I have tomorrow off for TOPS and the TOPS Christmas party. My Son is going to the party with me as Hubby's not going. Today is also Mom's first Heavenly birthday.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today has been a great day. It was rest, weigh and TOPS day. Down 0.25 lbs. I will take it! Also had my TOPS Christmas party. Took my Son as my date since Hubby couldn't go. Had a great time and the food was sooooo good expecially since I didn't have to cook LoL.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

This is a quick check-in to say hi. Have to be up at 4 am tomorrow and it's already after 10 pm. Will catch up more tomorrow.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

So Wednesday let me see if I can remember....oh right LoL I slept in and much didn't happen before work. Stopped by my friends house to check a couple things about work and didn't expect the news I got. Found out that a rumer going around was true. My boss lost the contract for the kitchen after 20+ year with the city. As of today I know who got the contract and when they takeover. More information to come next week on the day of the residents Christmas party. For dinner the residents had meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, tomato soup, corn and leftover deserts.

Today has been a long trying day. Woke up at 4 am and got ready to leave to make the train for 5:40. It was cold and pouring rain. Reached our destination around 8 am and freezing rain. Was at the hospital for Hubby's appointments until about 1. Being cold for that many hours sucks. But all is good with Hubby as there has not been much decline in his muscles in 6 years. Hubby had an attitude after we got back to the train station and got our tickets switched to the earlier train. Also my delivery got here while we were gone. Thankful for my friend and her sister who came over and brought them in. 3 big boxes of meat (freezers are filled to the gills) and 1 big box of pantry items.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today was one of those days. Slept in getting a total of over 8 hrs. Worked on laundry, dishes, boiled some beef bones for Trigger and made one batch of cranberry sauce for Family Christmas on Sunday. Got called into work early as my friend needed help planning meals so we can tell the boss what we have meals till and get approval to put an order in that will hold us over till the take over. Tonight's dinner for the residents was what the housing crew provided for them and the rest of the little community. As it was a Christmas dinner they had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, beans and carrots mix, gravy, salad, dinner roll and dessert. No one new what to do. I normally don't work that shift so was completely lost. The ones running it had no clue. So we winged it and went well. The volunteers they had that actually showed up sat behind the dessert table and did nothing. Off for 2 days and then no time off until the takeover on Jan 16 unless the new crew offers to keep us as paid employees.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA. Busy plus password issues.

I have my feelers out about possible jobs. That includes my Minister. Definitely need to get that darn food handlers certificate. But no postings for the exam dates. So will have to call the health unit and find out. If I don't get a job then life goes back to the way it was 3 months ago before the job.

So Saturday I spent the day baking and wrapping Christmas presents for our family Christmas yesterday. Didn't get to bed till midnight Saturday. Got up at 6 am Sunday to get ready for Church. Went to church and got lots of support about my job situation. Even had myself put on the prayer list. When I got home from Church I finished getting ready to leave for family Christmas. Got home fairly early last night and couldn't log on to MFP as I couldn't remember my password or find it. I hate when MFP makes me log back in. Any ways as you can tell I figured out where I wrote it. Lots of calories this week not sure the scale will be happy tomorrow with the lack of exercise. Oh well what will be will be.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today was cold with some sun. Gained 4 lbs this week. The weight recorders thought I was crazy for being happy about the gain. I explained I wasn't happy about the gain. I was happy that I haven't lost my 100 lb loss status. It's getting close. But I think the scale will start to change soon. I can do this.

So there's getting to be more stress at work with the residents. They're not liking the fact that our takeout supplies are limited to a couple size containers. All we can do is tell them that we have asked housing to get them as they are the one who supplies them and they are refusing to provide them.

Yesterday I had a sore shoulder as I hurt it before work. Today I hurt my hip. It's so painful that I can't bend, lift heavy things or turn much. This makes work extremely difficult. Thank goodness everyone is understanding and able to help with the lifting and carrying of heavy things. I did do it a couple of times and paid dearly for it with extreme pain and almost dropping the dinner. I hope tomorrow it's better as I have way to much at work to do to get ready for the Christmas dinner for the residents on Thursday.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

If we're MFP friends you may have seen my update on the feed. I AM STRUGGLING!! More than I have since starting this journey in November 2018. All I want to do is sleep. I am fighting an infection in my wrist. Next Friday I have to spend $103 to fill a cavity that may not work and will have to be pulled. I want to keep my tooth as long as possible. I am out of a job as of end of shift Jan 15. Yesterday we got our termination papers from the group taking over. In the letter it says termination effect date. In the next paragraph it more or less say "but please feel free to apply for a job with us." Now if they wanted to have us work for them why would they terminate us and make us apply? Why not just come talk to us even the residents than just offer us a job? Jan 18 I wright my food handlers certificate. I am not sure if I should apply with the group that is taking over the contract or just take a breather and see what comes next. Stressed about being stressed about everything no wonder I am so tired. I don't know how much more I can take and that scares me. All I can seem to manage right now is waking up everyday and praying for God's guidance.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Rain most of the day. But walked to do some shopping. Felt a little better today. Work went well. Still have to make taco dip for my friends after work. My Son is here for the weekend.
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!
    Happy New Year!

Yesterday was a very long day. Prepared my taco dip for my friends New Year's. Had to work in the afternoon and then partied till Midnight with friends, Hubby and Son. Hehe he got to see his Mom actually have fun and party. The looks he gave me were definitely the best. It was great seeing him actually socializing with people he didn't know. I hope I can give him more opportunities like that maybe he'll make some friends he can hang out with eventually. Granted he was the youngest one there. Most are older than me.

Anyways today I obviously slept in. Sent my Son home so he could get ready for a gathering he was going to with other family members. Then got ready for work. I am not used to a coworker who doesn't do their job. As my weekday coworker has definitely been stepping up. The weekend one moves slow, she doesn't get half of what the weekday one does. My friend/manager got a text from me about what she will find when she gets to work in the morning. Dishes that should have been done before we left. I would have done them but I was doing other cleaning and don't quite feel comfortable getting my wrist that wet yet. Today is the first day I showered with out it covered and definitely wasn't the best feeling. The skin is still very new and very pink. I even keep it wrapped most of the time so I don't damage it.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks!

I've been MIA in general, but always try to stop by from time to time to say hi.

I got sick on Nov 1st going to the vet, and the illness keeps coming back again and again!

I'm also up ten pounds with the holidays. I am fixing my meals at home more often as I'm pretty sure that the Chinese food I get are the main reason for my weight gain--that an the Jordan almonds. 😆

CS, please share your cabbage soup recipe!

Hi Tabitha, glad you're on the team!

Hi frugal. I've always enjoyed your posts. I'm sorry if you feel you don't have friends here. I'm your friend! I just not here daily, and sometimes weekly.

I'm having leftover ham today, with a yam casserole and some mashed cauliflower! I got a fourth of a ham on sale...I think at Aldi's...and it's my third meal with it.

Two days ago, we had homemade corn pudding and homemade backed beans as sides.

Yesterday, I had Alexia's loaded cauliflower and a gluten free cheese macaroni. Both were microwaveable and I needed a break from all the cooking.

Frugal, what delicious mock tails have you had lately?

Happy New Year, all! 🥳

• the_frugal_chef
    the_frugal_chef Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks!

I've been MIA in general, but always try to stop by from time to time to say hi.

I got sick on Nov 1st going to the vet, and the illness keeps coming back again and again!

I'm also up ten pounds with the holidays. I am fixing my meals at home more often as I'm pretty sure that the Chinese food I get are the main reason for my weight gain--that an the Jordan almonds. 😆

CS, please share your cabbage soup recipe!

Hi Tabitha, glad you're on the team!

Hi frugal. I've always enjoyed your posts. I'm sorry if you feel you don't have friends here. I'm your friend! I just not here daily, and sometimes weekly.

I'm having leftover ham today, with a yam casserole and some mashed cauliflower! I got a fourth of a ham on sale...I think at Aldi's...and it's my third meal with it.

Two days ago, we had homemade corn pudding and homemade backed beans as sides.

Yesterday, I had Alexia's loaded cauliflower and a gluten free cheese macaroni. Both were microwaveable and I needed a break from all the cooking.

Frugal, what delicious mock tails have you had lately?

Happy New Year, all! 🥳

becca! So nice to hear from you! Funny that you should ask! LOL I Just stocked the fridge with unsweetened ice tea. I love sweet tea, but cannot have all that sugar.

Well, my roommate buys crates of Welch's 100% juice small bottles at Sam's Club. She gives me the apple juice because she does not like apple juice. I am not that big of a fan either.

The apple juice has been taking up room in the fridge.

The unsweetened iced tea just needed just a little something sweet... if that makes sense!

BINGO

I poured 100% apple juice in the pitchers of unsweetened iced tea! Not too much, but enough!

I guess you can say that I created mocktails today! :smiley:
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Becca glad you're back for a visit. I miss having my friends in this group post once in awhile. I will definitely post the Cabbage soup recipe in the next few days.

Frugal your a very creative woman when it comes to using what you have. Must be from reviewing all those articles.

Today was sunny when I woke up after sleeping in so I went for my first walk of the year. It felt great. Worked again this afternoon. Tomorrow is TOPS. Not sure what the scale will do. But I am fine no matter what happens as long as I don't gain everything I lost last week. I know everything is slowly getting under control.020vfbjul4u7.jpg
  • CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today has been a rainy, foggy, dark day. It was also TOPS and weigh day. Down 1.25 lbs. That makes 9 lbs in 2 weeks!

I also called the organization that is taking over the kitchen where I work. Hate when the letter didn't give an extension. Will call back tomorrow when I have more time to figure it out. Work went well.
  • beccaboo1276414
    Options
    Great idea mixing the apple juice with the tea, frugal!

Wtg on the weight loss CS!

I am doing well fixing meals at home. I did a mini grocery shop and picked well, as I've been very happy food wise for the past 3 days.

We have 4 dogs now so that keeps me busy tending to them. The new kids are a lot of fun! I throw a ball and they go chasing after it. My two senior pups aren't as active, but neither am I. I love on them and tend to their needs too.

Good night for now.
  • beccaboo1276414
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Howdy folks!

Today, we finally got a plumber to come over and shut off the valve to the dishwasher. It was causing a major leak going through the floor and into our basement. The dishwasher and the components froze during the deep freeze. He did not charge us for coming out!!

He will be back in a week to replace a toilet and the valve underneath. He gave us an upfront cost to do it. It's not the cheapest, but it's within reason. I prefer upfront pricing, and don't trust plumbers who don't give you a quote. They usually stick one with a ridiculous bill.

The cheapest plumber kept blowing us off.

I've been flushing the toilet with a bucket of water. it works! I remember my uncles flushing their broken toilet that way on their little farm. I was only 3 years old and remembered that! I also remember I was terrified if that toilet! 😆

On the main farm, they had an outhouse for years until they finally had a bathroom put in. It wasn't a working farm. It was the main home. I remember my grandfather teaching me how to properly wash my hands at the little sink while I was standing on a stool. Such simple memories flood my heart with love.

My maternal grandparents immigrated from Italy around 1917 or 1918. Grandad came first. Grandma came a few years later with my two oldest uncles Pat and Earnest. They were all very sweet and gargarious people. Grandma had 8 kids in all.

We used to go "down home" on Sundays to visit. All the relatives congregated there. We'd be fed a big old pasta meal, and my grandma and granddad would switch off cooking the sauce. Grandma's sauce was a lot better, but I really miss the taste of grandad's sauce. It turned out his mother was Greek! He used a lot of fresh sausage which made it really greasy, and I guess he added a lot of sugar as it was sweet too!

I cook like my mother's and my grandma's sauce.

My cousins and I would play on the farm every Sunday. I got to see granddad feed the chickens. It was a really special time for me which ended when I joined the youth orchestra in junior high. Our practices were on Sunday.

There was an up portion to the farm and a lower portion. The original house was on the lower portion which was could flood. It was a two room house--very small. They built higher up, probably after the 1937 flood.

We'd trek down to the lower portion of the farm to catch minnows to take home. We had a lot of fun.

On one trek, I was walking in the very front. I was only 3 or 4. My brother, Mike, yelled at me to freeze in mid step and then turn and run back to the house as fast as I could. I did. It turned out that a rattlesnack was up and ready to bite. My brother saved my life that day. We were not close to a hospital.

I always think of It's a Wonderful Life, when the older brother saved the younger brother when he broke through the ice. How life would have really been changed if I had perished.

I was always employed in helping professions, and comforted a lot of ppl. If I was not here, I would not have helped them.

It also would have broken my parents' heart.

Life is strange. Life is hard. Life can be beautiful.

Peace.

• CSEGUIN2
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone!

Today was a busy, foggy, rainy day with a hint of sun in the late afternoon. Got up at 6 am to take the garbage out for pickup for my client and ourselves. Also did a few things online then went back to bed till 9 am. Went to the clinic and got antibiotics for my tooth and also had the doctor check my wrist. My wrist is healing really well but have to keep it wrapped at work until my last day. Yes it is my last day on the 15th. Found out from the girl I work with during the week that part of the deal for the organization to get the contract was that they couldn't hire the original staff to work there. Whatever....I can still apply with the organization to work in another one of their kitchens if I choose. So I have decided that I will continue to pray and look into all my other options of opportunities. During work we had an incident with a resident. He seemed fine when I served him but based on what he said my pulled pork was nasty and caused him to slam his dishes and break 2 plastic glasses. Later on he tried to come back in and apologize I cut him short and told him I didn't want to hear it tonight and would be better off trying tomorrow. This is not the first time he disrespected me or our dishes. He was told last time that if he ever did it again he would not be let off the hook so easily and wouldn't be welcome in the dinning room. Unfortunately I am a kind heart and by tomorrow I will accept his apology and I will let him in the dinning room. Afterall it's their home and they may be stressed knowing that things are going to be changing soon.

Here's me on my walk today. I talked myself into going and enjoyed every minute of it. 30k0wkwl8acn.jpg