Daily Chatter

Options

Replies

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Marilyn and I have type 2 diabetes. I saw the other group called Managing Diabetes with Sp = it shows the person that created it is the same as the leader and there are 13 members - but it seems to be inactive. @Sandra2befit I see you have created and lead both - quess my questions is why 2 of the same name.

Anyway, I am from Canada - and I gather all of you are probably from USA. I was looking at the different threads - if I post on them my numbers would look way way lower as are read different. For instance my morning reading is 7.5 (converting that to USA numbers would be 7.5 x 18 giving me a number of 135 in your reading so not sure how to post on those threads. My numbers are usually between 6.4 - 6.9 -which in USA numbers that would be between 115.2 to 124.2) I am not on metformin as my doctor would not prescribe that but am now on one called trajenta which seems to be controlling it fairly well.

But we all know that if you have type 2 that the best way to control it (or reverse it) is with proper eating and exercise. I have been a diabetic now for 14 years and am praying that this coming year with following the healthy eating plan that my doctor suggested will get me off this med and off cholesterol

Anyway that is about it for now -would love to hear how all of you deal with food and diabetes

• sandra2bfit1
    sandra2bfit1 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Welcome Marilyn I am the leader of the group and the reason I have 2 groups is because I lost ownership of the group and MFP said to start a new group so here we are.

I have been a diabetic for 8 years was on just Metformin only for a year and couldn't get my blood sugar down so my Dr. put me on 2 different insulins 2 shots 4 times a day.

Marilyn post your fasting and evening blood sugar the way you normally do

Darlene did you get your new washer in yet?

• fancyqtr
    fancyqtr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I still haven't got the washer in yet. I was going to try walking up the block to see if I could get a 2nd helper, but it was too cold today at around freezing. Tomorrow is supposed to get back up to around 50 so maybe I will do that then. Or I might call the church and see if anyone from there can help. Everyone that has offered from NextDoor has been for a fee. Won't have saved any money that way. I wish I was a bit stronger. Then I could help Pete get it down there and not need another person to help.

I had a call from the construction company that is supposed to finish the basement, but I didn't recognize the number so just left it go get a message since I get so many spam calls. I called them back, but did't hear back again. Guess they might call back tomorrow. I did get the insurance check for it, even though there has't been an estimate done yet.

Metformin is still bothering me so I have only taken one today and will wait until tomorrow for another. I just can't go through that again.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    jlnrtn4rtqjj.jpg
  • sandra2bfit1
    Options
    Love the quote Marilyn and so true.
    Darlene hope you get your washer in soon.
    How much Metformin are you suppose to take a day? I was taking 2 and the doctor cut me back to one.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    hf0q0ffkgcrt.jpg

Have been on track with my food plan now - 2 days bright and today is going bright as well - by bright I am meaning I am staying true to my food plan. This plan I am using many type 2 diabetes have used over the past 10 years or so and have been able to reverse the diabetes and are now off the meds. Just a good healthy way to eat - it gets to the brain where some foods register as triggers / cravings = already the cravings are gone (but I have done the program for some time now so that does help) but just love that the pain level and so many of my medical issues seem to get better - not completely healed but so much better just by eating correctly.

• sandra2bfit1
    Options
    Marilyn great quote great that you have been on plan for 2 days especially this time of year with all the goodies around.

So far I have stayed away from the goodies.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    slm8bkj2l728.jpg

How is everyone doing. I restarted my plan of healthy eating on December 1 - so today is day 4. So far 3 days have been 100% on plan and today am on plan also so when evening comes I will be 100% on plan for 4 days. I have been gifted a one year membership to the plan that I am following where I get daily support.

@sandra2bfit1 = I agree this can be a difficult time of the year to be thinking to eat healthy - but really when we think about it, if we have a serious weight problem along with diabetes, all year we should be eating healthy. I know for me it is really important to eat healthy all the time but for are to long I haven't and because of that I am not just morbidly obese but have many health issues. So with this wonderful gift of one year membership to this great program to learn how to get control over food addiction and lose weight forever - well it is what I need to do - have tried to many 'diets' out there but was never able to sustain them for long - and this one is sustainable as it is really not a 'diet' but works on helping you change what you are eating. I know people that have done this program over 10 years ago have lost over 100 pounds within 18 months and have still kept it off as they have learned how to eat healthy and learned what foods that trigger cravings - there are actually only two that affect the brain making the brain tell you that you are still hungry and need to eat. Eliminate those (can be difficult but can be done) and all goes well.

It is noon and time for my lunch but I have just taken my blood reading is 5.3 Canadian (5.3 x 18 = 95.4 USA) so all is well with my numbers today.

Would love to hear what type of changes / food plan everyone is using due to having diabetes.

• sandra2bfit1
    Options
    The doctor put me on the diabetic diet I am doing well on it but do miss my fruit I really limit myself with fruit. I woke up this morning with glucose at 52 had to drink some apple juice.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    87pjz71gsfb0.jpeg

@sandra2bfit1 - that is a very low number isnt it? My morning blood level is 5.3 Canadian (95.4 USA) which says I am in the normal range. Doc has told me that if it gets into the 4's Canadian (72 USA) to have one lifesaver. I carry them in my purse should it drop to low as it immediately brings the number back up to normal levels.

At any way I have completed 4 days of my BLE progam and am 1/2 way through day 5 and my scale show a great loss this week - but Tuesday is my official weigh in so will share the number is. Usually if I have not been following my program well and then I get serious and do follow it I can lose up to 9 - 10 pounds in the 1st week - but I think that is mainly because I have a lot to lose. I know when I first started the program my 1st month I lost 15 pounds and the 2nd month I lost 10 pounds then it slowed down to 5 pounds a month. But I got to confident and starting having sugar and flour and the weight stopped coming off, the cravings came but full force and I put back a lot of weight.

Note on sugar: I do not have any added sugar not even sweeteners as they are addictive and cause a lot of cravings. I am allowed 2 fruits in a day - one at breakfast and one at lunch and each has to be weighed on a digital scale to get 6 oz.

Note on flour: I don't have any flour at all, anything that is process as flour is process (such as almond flour, nut flour ect).

Note (final one): I don't eat anything that is processed - anything that is in a package I need to read the label and if sugar and/or flour is listed in the 1st three ingredients it is not on my food plan. Why? Because it caused cravings - makes the brain squirrely and does not aid with the brain to heal from food addiction. So nothing processed. Also absolutely no snacks.

This program does work, great success stories, and lots of support.

Anyway enough of promoting a healthy eating plan - we all have to work out what is the best for us to control the diabetes right.

Have a good evening everyone
  • fancyqtr
    Options
    Marilyn, I don't think I could ever handle that strict. Why would a nut flour or coconut flour turn into sugar?
    When I talked to my doctor snd mentioned the problem I have with cravings she said to just have nuts (in my case ground ones) and craisins. Of course, she didn't understand that my cravings are usually for sweets. Often I can work around those. I can have berries or Cuties. Not supposed to have the pre-made nuts and craisins or berries. Have to make my own.
    I am supposed to have 500 mg Metformin 2X a day, but I am already starting to have problems with it, so I am only doing the evening one now. I've been eatinng more so that it won't be bothering me as much, but that isn't helpinng much, either, since it gets my stomach too full and causes problems that way.
    I finally got my washer in. I couldn't figure out what was going on after the guys took it downstairs, but they hooked it up and ran it to make sure it was working okay and not leaking. The old one is upstairs in my garage so that I can make an appointment to get it picked up. I finally have some clean clothes. Yay!
  • sandra2bfit1
    Options
    Darlene so happy to hear your new washer is in.
  • sandra2bfit1
    Options
    Went grocery shopping yesterday at Wal*Mart got there at 8am no checkers in the store had to use self serve and it took me forever. I am through with Wal*Mart.
    My blood sugar has been in the morning the last few days so I am changing my diet the diabetic diet is not working for me.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    5ri8b10fgd36.jpg

@sandra2bfit1 - sorry to hear you are having trouble with your blood sugar and are looking for a different way of eating rather the diabetic diet you have tried. I had tried that one many years ago and it did nothing for me, my cravings just got worse. I know I have mentioned what I am doing and I understand you thinking it is to restrictive but really it isn't. Yes it is hard to give up things with sugar or flour (especially flour because that includes breads, spaghetti ect) but there is a way around there. I do have a bread that I can have that has no sugar and no flour. As for noodles there is away around that too. So if you would like more info send me an email - I don't want to be pushy and that is not what I am trying to do here - just that I no that this plan I am on works for those of us who have diabetes. The hardest time is the first 7 days, then it gets easier. But like I said, give me an email and we can talk / share there to see really if you might want to give it a try.

Today is Day 8 for me of following BLE - so I have completed one week. The support I am getting from BLE is unbelievable, I have access to daily coaching calls with lots of tips. At any rate I have 7 days what I call bright meaning I have followed the plan 100% and today when I got weighted at TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly = I use it to hold me accountable as someone else weighs me and records it -I am the only one of 14 ladies in the group eating as I am and I am the only one losing weight) So today I when I weighed in low and behold I lost 6.6 pounds in 7 days. This is not unusually following this plan especially if you have a lot of weight to lose as I do. All I have to remember is to follow the food plan and take my eyes off the scale as the scale will move down consistently if I just follow the plan. Two more weeks to get weighed for the month / end of the year and I plan to follow my plan 100% as I am excited to see what I will accomplish this month of following this program.

Haven't been posting my numbers as I haven't been taking them regularly for about 6 months as with following this program just 1/2 of the time it seems that they have stabilized - but should start taking them again as I am sure they are going to change again for the good with all the healthy eating I am doing. Also I noticed the one you have as 'water' you list 52 oz. I do more than that - my aim is 90 oz which is where I know I am hydrated as I should be.

• Marilynsretired
    Options
    kbv389opl5pq.jpg
  • fancyqtr
    Options
    They only have 2 checkers at most of the Walmarts around here, too. Gets really bad with this time of year and everyone in there shopping.

I am finding a lot of problems lately with gluten, but I don't know how to make bread with other flours. I look for recipes, but they are never something that look worth it. I have tried gluten free breads, but they have been terrible. I want to be able to eat sandwiches, but not sure how I can work them. What I need to do is go high protein and low carb/low fat. Fat is bothering me and too high carbs isn't too good.

Needing to get my truck license still. Had to get an emissions test before I can get that (Chevy passed fine). Also taking some stall mats to a friend. Don't know if I can get both done today, but I'll try. Tomorrow is going to be colder again and maybe high winds.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    @fancyqtr - you mention bread as you want to have sandwiches. Don't know where you are but here in Canada you can get Ezekiel bread - no flour - on my food plan I am allowed one slice. I find it in the health food store in the frozen section.

I am doing well with my food plan, Am on Week 2 (Day 10) of being committed to the plan and doing well. Believe I am down some for next Tuesday but am trying not to think of the scale - only on Tuesdays. I have lost 6.6 in the 1st week and the 2 and 3rd my mind does tricks on me with trying to convince me that I can't lose any more that I will more than likely have an increase so why not go off plan. But that is all wrong thinking. When you have a food addiction you need to add what the addiction is (such as free from drugs, smoking or alcholic) - the 2 known 2 substances that are addictive to people with a weight problem are sugar and flour. So once I admitted that those were the substance that I need to avoid, then I need to work on the process of not having them. For me that means having 3 meals, absolutely no snacks with all food measured using a digital scale. Difficult? Can be if we are not ready to admit we have a problem with food and then decided to make changes. Most people tell me that I am on a restrictive food plan but really it isn't - just getting rid of the substance that makes me go back to eating sweets all the time or sugar drinks like pepsi and foods like bread and spaghetti. But it can be done and the longer I work this program I see how doable it is and how much food there is there for me to eat. Big question I was asked this week was 'What is you why?' - think about it 'why are you wanting to change your food up? There has to be a why that is worthwhile and that will keep you on track. For me it my health. After 10 days I feel so much better. Yesterday I was able to do a chore that for months I have not been able to do because of joint pain but yesterday I was able to do it. So though my brain gets squirrely with 'wants' I am working on training it to remember that I want to be healthy and that the wrong food is just not worth it.

Have a good day every one
  • sandra2bfit1
    Options
    Been without internet service for 2 days just got it back on 2 hours ago.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    ilp0yvhhtaxn.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    i0z4jg08gpfb.jpeg