Experiments, tests, trying things out..

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,717 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a very healthy approach, Athijade.

Here are some of my favourite non-meat centred meals that I make in batches and freeze:

- vegetable stew with white beans (stands on its own)

- chili - heavy on root vegetables - parsnips, rutabagas, sweet potato, white potato, carrots - with lentils that chew like ground beef and beans - red kidney and black. (stands on its own)

- daal - which replaces the meat portion of a meal rather than being a meal on its own - you can serve it with rice/potatoes and a veggies side dish.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    So in the chili Laurie, which lentils do you use? Red, yellow, green, black? Are there differences other than color between them?🤔
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I pretty well always use red - they break down and become part of the "gravy" for lack of a better word - thickening it and not really adding a lot of flavour, just some fibre and protein. Plus - either green or brown. My first choice is green/french lentils. They are a bit smaller than brown, and will hold their shape - staying firm and chewy with a robust flavour....but I don't always have those on hand, and my local store doesn't carry them, so then I will go with brown which is a not-quite-as-firm, not-quite-as-flavourful version of the green.

I have never tried the black! That might be exciting!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Was gonna say that Wally-mart may have them but I have to say I am a bit shocked at the prices I spotted for "black" lentils! At those prices it might be worthwhile to just paint some other colored ones!!!! :lol:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I've heard black lentils referred to as Beluga lentils. That perhaps says it all?
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    While I won’t refuse to eat them, lentils and most beans just have no appeal for me. And that’s regardless of preparation.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I'm not pro bean and chickpea and lentil both in terms of calories for satiation and in terms of next day effects when I'm with people 😹😹😹 but they are a worldwide staple so I keep trying to figure them out! 🤔
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,098 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'm the opposite - I couldn't imagine my diet without pulses. I've not yet found a bean, pea or lentil that I don't like and they're incredibly versatile. Packed with protein and fibre, low fat...what's not to love?

Your gut develops a tolerance for them too....

Their uses are limited only by your imagination....beanburgers, falafel, dhal, bakes, casseroles, curries, houmous, dhansak, green lentil chilli, fritters, soups, salads, pancakes, maccu....roasted and salted and eaten as snacks...the possibilities are endless! You can even make cakes with them....

https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/34361093-ginger-fox-cake-made-with-carlin-peas

8qs5badm47p6.png
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Pulses? Only pulses I know are taken at the doctors office to see if you’re still alive. Also Carlin peas? Perhaps chick peas or garbanzos?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite - I couldn't imagine my diet without pulses. I've not yet found a bean, pea or lentil that I don't like and they're incredibly versatile. Packed with protein and fibre, low fat...what's not to love?

Your gut develops a tolerance for them too....

Their uses are limited only by your imagination....beanburgers, falafel, dhal, bakes, casseroles, curries, houmous, dhansak, green lentil chilli, fritters, soups, salads, pancakes, maccu....roasted and salted and eaten as snacks...the possibilities are endless! You can even make cakes with them....

I for sure want to try and eat more beans and lentils. However, I have a medical issue that makes them even harder to digest so I am going to have to take it real slow and build it up. I do know I do okay with pinto beans for the most part, at least as part of a meal like the roasted veggie burritos I made last week or the vegetarian enchilada casserole I have for dinner. LOVE pinto beans.

Lentils are a bit harder. My only real exposure to them is with Indian food. The place we always went to would often bring out a small serving of dahl with the rest of the food. It wasn't something they did for everyone, but we were there so often we were special lol. I remember loving that.

Oh! And Split Pea soup! My ex's mom made a wonderful split pea soup that never really bothered me. I should make that! It also frozen great so I could make a big batch and have leftovers in the freezer for a warm bowl of soup on cold days.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Pulses? Only pulses I know are taken at the doctors office to see if you’re still alive. Also Carlin peas? Perhaps chick peas or garbanzos?

izq7oho1bxzi.png

Don't let the feeding pigeons comment put you off - they're delicious, with a lovely nutty flavour. They can be used in place of chickpeas in many recipes. They're probably more commonly known as Black Badgers....
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    ... they're delicious, with a lovely nutty flavour. They can be used in place of chickpeas in many recipes. They're probably more commonly known as Black Badgers....

Don't think I have had these - though it seems impossible to have not....Perhaps another name here. Going to investigate!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I like peas. Especially with carrots! Or tomatoes and onions and dill and more or less olive oil! 😹
  • Yoolypr
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Ok - pigeon peas we have. No black badgers though. Still working on deciphering pulses.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Figured out pulses - peas, beans and lentils. Basically what we call legumes.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ve decided to cut down to two meals plus controlled snacks. Lately my biggest meal of the day is increasingly more calories. Don’t know whether it’s the holidays or hunger from getting back to more exercise after six months off.
    So I’ll switch to a moderate breakfast, a substantial lunch and use the remaining calories for late day holiday treats/ snacks. I’ve been eating a light dinner daily because that was my routine weight loss plan. But snacks seem to be calling at the end of the day. So why not have ice cream, crackers or chocolates instead for dinner? Not the most nutritious way to go but worth the experiment.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    It's worth testing the hypothesis Yooly - if it doesn't work out you can always try something else...
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    I'm pleased to report that eating a minimum of 30g fibre a day and including protein at every meal has made a HUGE difference to my hunger - in fact, it's eradicated it almost entirely, so I'm back to the happy position that I was in for my first 28 weeks, when I didn't really experience hunger at all.

Just does to show that calories aren't all equal, and the foods you choose to spend the calories on can make a huge difference to your satiety and energy levels. I knew that, but somewhere along the way I forgot the lesson and had 6 weeks of raging hunger before I remembered what a difference fibre makes...
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ve done the fiber and protein religiously for two years. I get plenty of both at breakfast and lunch. I’m just not all that hungry later in the day - for a meal. So small snacks later in the day seems doable. Doesn’t have to be sweets or junk. Maybe a little cheese? I am feeling that small calculated munchies over time later in day might kick start weight loss. Beats munchies plus dinner which puts me over the deficit level.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    @Yoolypr , one of the many eye opening moments of calorie counting for me was the realization that it wasn't NECESSARILY my meals that were causing my weight gain. It was the fact that I "deserved and expected" to have my three squares regardless of all the "snacking" I was doing.

So been out shopping and had a double scoop of gelato? Yeah, ok, but that was ice cream, I STILL have to have a nutritious meal for dinner, right?

The breakthrough with logging was that.... "oops, I've already had my calories for the day with the double waffle cone I ate! I guess I am staying hungry tonight"--ok, maybe eating a tub of 0% yoplait with some all bran buds for 300 Cal since I've never been good at sticking to the staying hungry part! I should hunt down some of the refrigerated jello puddings (about 60 Cal) that I used to use for late night snacks... 4 puddings with some cereal under 300 Cal... PAV in the danish butter cookies tin 900-1200 Cal... hmm... I know which one makes more sense!!!