WaistAways Team Chat - DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    @micki48 the kitties were posted on page 26 of November's chat. If you still can't find them my rubber arm can be twisted to post more!
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 Sorry my stats are so late, Ashley!

28th Nov. - 6878
    29th Nov - 4346 / 65 minutes Full Body Cardio Complexes (Epic 2 Day 25)
    30th Nov - 3856 / 38 minutes Cardio HIIT w/dumbbells (Epic 2 Day 26)
    1st Dec - 4734
    2nd Dec - 3278 / 55 minutes Front Delts, Abs & Shoulders (Epic 2 Day 27)
    3rd Dec - 3496 / 55 minutrs Squats for Glutes & Legs (Epic 2 Day 28)
    4th Dec - 7757

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 you make me want a Peloton so bad! No way at this point, but it sure sounds like it gets you going and is even fun sometimes. You are really keeping up the exercise - remember about a year ago how much you did? Talk about progress :smiley:

@DD265 you are right about layering up to keep warm in order not to keep eating. I'm always able to eat more sanely when I'm well dressed for the cold. Wrist warmers, or even arm warmers that go up past the elbows, are amazing. I get children's leg warmers and put them on my arms. They are longer than wrist warmers, but under a loose or 3/4 length sleeve they sure add on the heat and are easy to remove when you warm up.

Whew! I had quite a good walk outside today in the wind - got a lot of fallen branches cleared off the trails, and I am definitely ready for a good dinner tonight. I'm taking the hills faster to get ready for snowshoeing - now I just need it to start snowing for real. Enough of the teaser storms!

Crazy weight fluctuation question. I have noticed several times that my weight goes down by a couple of pounds from one day to the next when I do not eat any grains. No flour, no brown rice, no grain of any kind - but the same number of calories, carbs from vegetables and fruits, same protein, same amount of fat, same fibre. Has anyone else had this experience? I generally do not eat much grain, but if I get back into it for a while and then stop, the change in weight is immediate. Of course the opposite direction too! Weird.

With that odd question in the air, I shall go cook dinner! Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday if you are still in it!
  • jugar
    Options
    Ready for the Wednesday line-up? Go!

@AshenMoon
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @MoStacy
    @PlaneMonkey
    @MandiSaysHey
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    winner-s-podium-2-1441173.jpg
    WAISTAWAYS NOVEMBER WEEK 5 STEP CHALLENGE RESULTS

# of participants – 7

WEEK 5 TOP STEPPERS
    #1 @KellyBgetsfit 111,586
    #2 @jugar 100,227
    #3 @ashleycarole86 92,161

WEEK 5 TOP CONSISTENT STEPPERS
    Days meeting daily step pledge (If you’ve made one)
    @jugar 7/7
    @KellyBgetsfit 7/7
    @ashleycarole86 5/7
    @YinxFed 5/7

Congrats to @KellyBgetsfit for laddering up in week 5 – both over week 4 and your best for the month as well.

WAISTAWAYS FINAL NOVEMBER STEP CHALLENGE RESULTS

# of participants – 9

NOVEMBER TOP STEPPERS
    #1 @KellyBgetsfit 490,909
    #2 @sljjjembeca 486,557
    #3 @ashleycarole86 453,179

For the challenge month of November, I wanted to acknowledge that we had the largest number of teammates participating in some form over the month since I took this task on.

In this five-week month, we walked a total of 3,302,374 steps together, or a whopping 1564 miles. This would have gotten us from Toronto, Ontario down to Texas… it’s a crazy amount of movement we did.

Every single step and movement minute counts and leads us all down the path of healthier living.

I’m looking forward to December! Now that I’ve had a few months to get my feet wet running this part of our team I am looking to trial a few different things these next few months, so stay tuned for that!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    @jugar The Peloton is definitely FUN and I would never have described a stationary bike as such before this one.

I don't know if I mentioned it but Brad got me a pair of snowshoes for my birthday. Can't wait to try it out!

12/7 exercise:
    45 minutes Peloton + 4615 steps
    Got the dog out for her lunchtime walk today - much nicer :)
  • MandiSaysHey
    MandiSaysHey Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I was worried I wouldn't have a loss this week after overindulging on the weekend a bit so I'm glad to see the number went down.

I'm thinking about starting intermittent fasting. Does anyone else here do it?

I don't tend to eat breakfast most days, but I do have a bad habit of nighttime snacking. So I'm thinking of starting with the 16/8 method and doing all my eating probably between 12pm-8pm, but might move it an hour earlier to avoid snacks close to bedtime, I usually go to bed between 10-11pm.

I was also reading that some people who do intermittent fasting will choose 1-2 days a week where they only eat 500-600 calories. That sounded doable to me too if I skip out on starchy carbs and only do eggs, lean meats, and veggies those days. But I will wait until after the holidays to look into that more.
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!
    Some lovely green numbers on our spreadsheet today - looking good! That is definitely the way to start a month where things might get a bit out of control later.

@PlaneMonkey endorphins make you happy for real - and a pink kettlebell probably gives you even more :wink: There is a really simple kettlebell workout generator app that I find fun and easy for days when I don't want to think too much. It's called Kettlebell Wizard (or Kettlebell Workout Wizard) and it randomly generates short workouts any time you want one. There are 3 levels, and links to super quick and helpful videos for any new moves. It is by Greg Brookes who is my online KB guru. Lots of info and the best tips to keep the moves safe as you progress. Check it out if you need something new to get the endorphins flowing.

@YinxFed Planners. I love and hate them. I get super excited when I first get one, use it well for a while, and then get sick of it. Now that I am not working, it just feels a bit, well, empty. I don't need to put in general daily tasks, and I use my calendar app for anything I actually need to go do in the outside world. I think I'll skip it this year! For any journal urges, I have a big notebook with all kinds of random jottings that is always fun to go back through. That is not tied to any dates, there are no missing days - it feels less like expectations.

@MandiSaysHey great start to your return to the team! I'm sure there are folks who do IF on the team, or you can go lurk on some of the other teams. I think Weight No More is a good resource for IF experience. It makes a lot of sense to limit the evening eating, for sure. Keep us posted on how it goes, what you try, and don't worry if you successfully discover things that don't work!

Time to get outside in the lightly falling snow. It's going to warm up for a few days (BOOOOO!!) so I have to enjoy this kind of day while it lasts. I'm thrilled you're getting snowshoes @ashleycarole86 !!! They kick your butt when all it feels like you're doing is taking a walk. Talk about endorphins :smiley:
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've managed to keep up with reading posts but haven't gotten to post myself. Such a busy time of year and making Christmas magic for the kiddos definitely takes extra time and planning! I have been hitting my calorie target and getting more workouts in. Still not as many as I want but it's progress.

@jugar and @KellyBgetsfit yes I too noticed the scale bumps up with increased carbs. Carbs encourage the body to hang on to extra water. Makes the darn scale go up but also plumps up the skin and contributes to a nice complexion. I think it's not such a big deal if you keep your carb intake consistent. It's a little uncomfortable if you go way over your normal amount.

@MandiSaysHey I tried the intermittent fasting too because I really don't tend to want breakfast right away. I really didn't like it and for whatever reason made me really constipated. It was probably just from changing my food schedule and could have sorted out if I hung in there. I still tracked calories.
    he3fvkrlalp5.jpg
    The guinea pigs are now named! Top left is Archie, top right is Winnie and the bottom is Pumpkin Spice. I ordered a rabbit hutch for them and got it put together and my husband built a stand for it. They eat vegetables daily so we have more veggies prepared and bagged which is great for everyone. If I go in the kitchen they start squeaking for treats. I love filling their little hay rack. The smell reminds me of horses!

We have had some snow and I have been out for some snowy walks but sadly not enough for snow shoes yet. Fingers crossed it will be soon!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Love all the journal talk! I don't journal but I like the idea of it. I think I'm not ready to commit though and it could just fall flat as something I feel guilty about not doing. The planning and organizing side of me loves it though.

@PlaneMonkey Great weigh in.. way to go. Those green checkmarks are making a difference. In fact, great weigh-ins for all the Wednesday posters!

@KellyBgetsfit Love the idea of using the app on your own stationary bike as a fun hack... will be interested to hear how that goes for sure!

@conleywoods Cute guinea pig hutch... looks like a cute little home for them. I imagine the kids are loving the new company!

and for you two.. when is the last days of class before Christmas?

Spent a lot of my time outside work today on the phone but I did manage to do some walking before work and at lunch, and I biked and did a short strength set after work.

12/8 exercise:
    55 minutes Peloton + 10 minutes strength + 6731 steps
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    @conleywoods Your guinea pigs are adorable! Great names. Beautiful hutch. I love their little squeals.

Making the magic for the kids sure is a lot of work. But I bet you have lots of great magic going on for your lucky kids.

@PlaneMonkey i did see your kitties. They are soo cute in their pjs.

@ashleycarole86 i concur. You are doing a great job with the steps and can’t wait to see what you have in store for us.

@YinxFed I keep a calendar and love putting cute stickers on it. I have a bunch. I also like to journal, but after a year and a half of journaling every day, I have taken a break. I really need to do some writing again though. I used to teach writing (among other things) when I was in the classroom.

Made a really yummy crockpot chicken and dumplings tonight. Logged my food. Did 19 minutes of Pilates this am. Cookie season has started around here. Tomorrow my granddaughter is going to come spend the night. There may be cookie baking involved or watching Frozen ❄️.

@Kali225 so glad to hear you are feeling better.

@kdblpn Hang in there. You’ll get back in the swing of things soon enough. Be sure to keep taking good care of yourself while your working. Your patients are important but so are you.

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @kdblpn that's great that you're back at work, I'm sure you'll be back into the swing of it in no time. I've not had any time off, just not been going into the office regularly (once a month-ish), and it feels really different when I go in, so I can only imagine how much has changed for you.

@yinxfed I use the Google suite for planning; Calendar, Keep (notes) and Tasks. It makes it very easy to share most things with my husband, although to delegate tasks to him I have to do it in a roundabout way. I used to journal when I felt like I needed to; sporadically, usually when I was in a real funk, so my journal could go months between entries and it was generally a really negative place to be. I recently threw that one out (and it wasn't even half full but a fresh start was needed) and replaced it with a new one which I'm trying to write in most days - good and bad.

@mandisayshey I don't do IF, but I do try to limit late night snacking. There's a challenge on here somewhere about it - I started off not eating after 9pm and over time will look to bring that forward. I often crave an afternoon snack but eating after the evening meal is usually just mindless/boredom, so I figure that's more important to cut out.

@conleywoods the guinea pigs are super cute and their home looks fab. My boss has guinea pigs and sometimes we can hear them squeaking in the background on a call - apparently hers are all about the snacks too.

Been for a run before work today, then dropped the new car at the garage. Fingers crossed there's no terrible news. Today's journal entry is probably going to be imagining all the ways in which karma will get the ****** who drove through a puddle at speed and soaked me from head to toe as I was walking back. I'm trying to tell myself they could've been on the way to an emergency but not feeling that forgiving. My favourite 'curse' so far is a carrier bag splitting and their bottle of wine smashing on the floor, preferably right at their door step.

Planning to go feed the ducks at lunch time - I think they're starting to recognise me now and they come right up for their food. I don't intend to feed any by hand, as cute as it would be, and I do throw the food into the water as well for the ones that don't come up onto the bank. At some point in the afternoon I'll need to walk down and pick the car up, then we'll enjoy a quiet evening in. I have a three day weekend and intend to get back on the productivity wagon!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Username ashleycarole86
    Thursday weigh-in

PW 192
    CW 188.2
This discussion has been closed.