January 23

Options
Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    In the post I did two weeks ago we discussed hunger and the link to the article I posted mentioned cravings as possibly related to hunger so this week I found a pretty good article about cravings. It discusses the neurobiology of cravings, food craving vs addiction as well as other factors that affect cravings such as food industry advertising, stress, sleep, exercise, hormonal changes and medication. Last there are some tips on how to reduce food cravings.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/cravings

What type of foods do you typically crave and how do you deal with it if you find it to be a negative in your life?

I rarely have cravings and when I do it's for savory things such as Lay's potato chips, olives or cheesy things. It seems like many people crave sweets instead. Back in December 2020 I discovered Blue Diamond gluten free nut thins. I bought them for charcuterie around the holidays looking for gluten free crackers and have been eating them ever since. They've become my bread substitute so I will eat them topped with tuna salad, scrambled eggs, kipper snack, cottage cheese, prosciutto, cheese, etc.

More recently I found their cheddar version which reminds me of cheez-its which I liked as a kid but don't eat as an adult because of the garbage ingredients included not to mention my desire to avoid gluten for anti-inflammation purposes. Those cheddar nut thins have started causing me to have unhealthy cravings so I've pretty much decided I shouldn't buy them anymore.

Overall I don't think it's negative to have cravings unless it's causing one to eat items they consider bad for their health.
  • jjjcat
    jjjcat Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Sunday Jan 23

Exercise: Yes - walking
    Tracked all: Yes
    Calories under: Yes

For me, cravings are under the habit category - I can get into and out of the habit of eating the things I crave. I am trying to use this in my favour and actively craving things that are better for me. When I do give into unhealthy cravings though, it is bad news for the calories count. I also try have a blanket rule of not to have seconds as a way of controlling that.

(all pass days used)
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Great topic today. This has been the #1 reason I gained so much weight in adulthood. In the past 2 years I’ve made massive improvements but I’m not completely there yet. The link is really interesting.

I have come a long way in terms of cravings. I used to be a butter-slathered-popcorn nearly every night gal. But I can’t even remember the last time I did that. Once in awhile I think about it, especially if we’re watching TV and I’m a little bored. But then I ask myself how I’ll feel about it in the morning - will I be glad I ate all the high calorie popcorn or regret it. The answer is obvious.

Another craving is peanuts. My husband buys them in large containers and they sit here on the kitchen counter calling my name. I will randomly reach in and grab a handful. Or fill a cup and eat them while watching TV. So….. I now store the container downstairs in the pantry. That way I can’t thoughtlessly grab a handful. At night I don’t see them and am not as tempted to snack on them.

Ice cream - if it was in the house I’d eat it all. So we don’t keep it around.

When I get a craving, I try to slow down and ask myself how I’ll feel after eating it. I keep hearing about a “lower brain” being responsible for those cravings and that it’s possible to tame that savage beast, but I don’t fully understand it.
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    What type of foods do you typically crave and how do you deal with it if you find it to be a negative in your life?

I almost answered that I couldn´t think of anything I had craved in the past couple of months, but then I remembered yesterday seeing Keto Peanut Butter cookies that my husband had made and deciding to have one before a meal. So yes, sweet things. And high fat things.

Peanut butter has probably been one of the things I have craved the most over my life. Chocolate would be the other.

I also crave the mouth feel of carbon dioxide. In periods of my life when I had the habit of drinking pop it was probably my biggest craving. Now I have noticed some cravings for kombucha (which has natural carbon dioxide.)

When I get a craving I try to think about whether the food meets my goals and also try to stop and ask myself if I can feel the physical hunger in my stomache or whether the craving is emotional. If I determine it is not physical, I try to be mindful of whether I am feeling an emotion. If I am not currently feeling an emotion, I try to float back in my memory to the last emotion I can remember and try to think of a more direct way to meet the emotional need-- knowing that eating is an inefficient way to meet the emotional need.

I think the article left out what the newer research is suggesting about cravings, that the bacteria in our body actually communicate with our nervous system and make demands for what they need, which we experience as cravings. I am a nerd for the research about the microbiome and since September have focused a lot on improving my gut microbiome with prebiotics, probiotics, and avoiding ultraprocessed foods. This is actually my long term craving prevention strategy: to have a heatlhier microbiome with dominated by the bacteria that thrive on whole, high fiber healthy foods. I truly believe that changing the balance of my microbiome to have more good, fiber loving bacteria and less fat and sugar loving bacteria is the reason that I am having such little struggle with craving now. I can´t list all the sources I have read for this but here is an article that summarizes without the more sciencey jargon https://www.gutxy.com/blog/understanding-the-role-of-gut-microbes-on-eating-behaviour/

I also use the self hypnosis scripts in Darcy Buehler´s book ¨Think Yourself Thin¨, especially the sugar avoidance one, listening to them periodically.
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    January 23, 2022

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Habits to maintain this month:
    Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Did you go "nuts" with nuts today? No (19 days -free)
    Within Sugar macro today? Yes (11 day)

Pass day 2/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,901 Member
    Options
    ✅✅✅
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,208 Member
    Options
    Such an interesting opening post today @LazyBlondeChef - thanks!

I enjoyed the article and that posted by @ideas2 (and it looks like quite a few people are interested in the gut biome so thanks for posting this simple to understand article).

Like others who have posted today, I am also one for the salty and savoury snacks. Like @lesdarts180 — if I can keep the bag sealed, all is well. But once that seal is broken, I simply want them. I am like you @biketheworld in that a big container of nuts on the counter would be my downfall. And even when I do measure them out and indulge (e.g., last night’s board game family fun), I don’t feel well in the night or the following day. I ought to simply learn and stop. 😳 @victorious55 You are my role model in this regard. 🏆
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    jjjcat wrote: »
    Sunday Jan 23

Exercise: Yes - walking
    Tracked all: Yes
    Calories under: Yes

For me, cravings are under the habit category - I can get into and out of the habit of eating the things I crave. I am trying to use this in my favour and actively craving things that are better for me. When I do give into unhealthy cravings though, it is bad news for the calories count. I also try have a blanket rule of not to have seconds as a way of controlling that.

(all pass days used)

Great insights @jjjcat and well done today! 💐
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    ✅ Exercise: 55 mins
    ✅ Calories: under goal
    ✅ Tracked

Remaining pass days: 3️⃣

Once I made the decision to adopted the premise that no foods are forbidden, ‘cravings’ were no longer a problem. It’s more about portion size for me.

If I fancy something, and I have the calories for it, I have it. For the most part, I choose to eat food which fosters good health and fitness, and don’t stress about the odd indulgence.

I have chosen to refrain from buying some of the things in which I used to overindulge, because they don’t fit into my current fit/healthy ethos.

I’m also working on creating a healthy gut biome.

Always so sensible and inspiring @TerriRichardson112 🌟 Well done today!
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    Pass day

Wishing you a good week ahead @winner_in_life 🥰
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    Arc2Arc wrote: »
    Thanks for the topic @LazyBlondeChef I don’t think I had cravings until this period of inactivity during my injury and recovery. Since that began I seem to at any given time crave one thing. Beginning with the start of my MFP program the craved, forbidden fruit has been French toast. Not just any French toast… I live 100 yards from a restaurant only open for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday and they serve a prep that I find irresistible. I have photos but I won’t post them as to not afflict anyone else. :-).

So until I reached target I wouldn’t touch them but every weekend I craved them. I could have fit them in but somehow it seemed like a boundary I shouldn’t cross so I didn’t. Today there was no avoiding them as a friend who knows this about me brought me some for breakfast. My close-by friends are going beyond the call taking care of me.

My theory based only on my experience is a craving can be replaced by something else you like. My true craving is to be active again and I think the food craving is merely a substitute. Similarly, take away something you like and a different craving may arise. Just my theory:-).

I like your theory @Arc2Arc 💡 I try to keep my hands busy with knitting when I feel very susceptible (and the snacks I usually crave don’t go well with fine needlework — so a win!)

I am so glad that your friends and taking good care of you as you recover from surgery! 😊 And I bet that French Toast tasted delicious and was a welcome treat. It is my husband’s favourite breakfast indulgence.
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,664 Member
    Options
    1/23
    Exersised yes
    Caleries yes
    Logged yes
    I crave dark chocolate alot.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,721 Member
    Options
    All three done even able to do some rowing was fearful that once I hit the seat of the rower I would be stuck but my knee cooperated and I could get up the exercise felt so nice signs of things to come I hope so.
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Cravings; peanut butter, always! lol

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 30 minutes on the Peloton bike.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
  • Ginharbe
    Ginharbe Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Cravings= Mexican chips with guacamole salsa or roasted poblano pepper

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? more did great today Walking 4.34 km Distance 48:08Time
    Runnig 1.72 km Distance 15:27Time
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes , also exercise helped
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Jan 23:
    ✅✅✅ exercise today was house cleaning.

Craving for me is most anything chocolate. I don't usually keep it in the house, except occasionally I'll buy the 85% cacao bars and break off a couple small pieces for a "snack" in the evening. Nuts are a very close second, and hubby keeps those around... so I have to be careful. It's like once I start, it's hard to STOP!!