February 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    We’re staying with hubby’s friends for a couple of days while in Florida, so the husband of the couple wanted to run today as well. I was moving a little faster than our planned 10:00 pace (I averaged about 9:40), so he asked to stop after 1.3 miles. I rarely run with others, so I need to pay better attention tomorrow. Oops.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    We’re staying with hubby’s friends for a couple of days while in Florida, so the husband of the couple wanted to run today as well. I was moving a little faster than our planned 10:00 pace (I averaged about 9:40), so he asked to stop after 1.3 miles. I rarely run with others, so I need to pay better attention tomorrow. Oops.

The best part of running with companions is pushing each other a little.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,900 Member
    Options
    Feb - 108 out of 100 mile goal. whew! Always tricky to predict what the heck it will be like to run in Feb. Supposed to get more ice after being 80 on Sun and Monday. Ran a PB 2 mile best of 8:44 min/mile pace yesterday after work. I am totally shocked because it seemed like for all my life I could NOT run after work. My legs would feel like lead etc. But I have done it twice now this month (my second sprint run) and it's been ok. Toughest part getting out the door of course. Ok maybe the first qtr is not fun either.

I am a loner running. I have PTSD from running in the military when I was always slow and could not keep up. If I run with someone and they try to "push" me I tend to rebel and stop until they are far enough ahead I can run my own pace. If they run "with" me it's enjoyable but usually they have to slow down for me.

I am still chasing Scott and Alpha in Run the World it seems. We are almost 150 miles behind pace so need to pick it up team!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I am still chasing Scott and Alpha in Run the World it seems. We are almost 150 miles behind pace so need to pick it up team!

Maybe some of our new people would like to join our virtual group challenge? We're running (or walking!) "around the world" this year, and if you connect it to Strava, it does all of the logging for you. Don't be shy! Who's in?
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Way to push yourself @Tramboman . Love that you have the different squirrels in your area. I think we just have grey squirrels around here.
    I remember having all three types: grey, black, and white around our house (sometimes all on one tree) when we lived in Michigan... :)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Maybe some of our new people would like to join our virtual group challenge? We're running (or walking!) "around the world" this year, and if you connect it to Strava, it does all of the logging for you. Don't be shy! Who's in?
    I would be interested! And my strava account is:
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/49689256
    Would be happy to "friend" you all :)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends @polskagirl01❣️

Same here!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    2-1 4k treadmill
    2-2 7k easy
    2-3 4k treadmill
    2-4 4k treadmill
    2-5 4k treadmill
    2-6 7k slow
    2-7 rest
    2-8 7k sleasy
    2-9 4k slow
    2-10 rest
    2-11 7k sleasy
    2-12 7k sleasy
    2-13 5k treadmill
    2-14 4k treadmill
    2-15 7k sleasy
    2-16 7k sleasy
    2-17 rest
    2-18 5k treadmill
    2-19 5k treadmill
    2-20 7k sleasy
    2-21 7k easy
    2-22 rest
    2-23 4k sleasy
    2-24 4k sleasy

February Total: 110k
    February Goal: 140k

Cloudy, mid 20s F, with a mean little northeast wind. Lots of squirrels and red winged blackbirds today, along with some robins generally around as opposed to being concentrated at food sources.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Thoughts with you @polskagirl
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo you are doing the right thing. I commend you for your willpower and patience.

7 treadmill miles this afternoon. Nothing notable.

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    Nice that your friend's husband went running with you @marisap2010 . I hope he goes with you again. Just read on and saw that he didn't run with you today. That bridge looks like a nice place to catch a break from the sun. Great job on your streak.

@SummerSkier Nice job on beating your Feb goal already and big CONGRATULATIONS on your 2 mile PR. You are very speedy and getting faster all the time!

@shanaber I'm certainly not running what I thought I would either. I'm hoping to get back into it, but with 2 months of not a lot of running my numbers are pretty low. I'm definitely pulling up the rear in the Run the World group. Nice walking and glad you missed the rain. That's the trouble with accidents, you have no idea how they happened. I hope you continue to heal quickly. Did you see what you tripped over?

Hugs @polskagirl01 . Prayers for everyone in Ukraine and their loved ones. The whole thing makes no sense to me.

@Aine8046 Cool that you had all three species of squirrels where you once lived. We used to have flying squirrels around here, but haven't seen any since I was really young.

Seeing the big picture always helps @Avidkeo .

I had my year follow up with the heart surgeon this morning. As expected, he said everything looks good and there is no evidence of any further weakening of the aorta. My scar is raised and still itchy. They call that keloid or hypertrophic scarring. He is having me try mederma on it to see if that helps. The part closest to my neck has almost disappeared, but the further toward my tummy it gets, the bigger and itchier it gets. I really don't mind what it looks like, I just want the itching to stop. Night before last I had to put anti-itch cream on it, it was so bad it was keeping me awake - that's the first time it was that bad since the surgery. I'm trying to hold onto the old adage - "If it is itching, it is healing." I won't have to see him again for another year.

When I got home, I did a treadmill session, to avoid the rain and flooded roads. I walked a mile total for warm up and cool down @3.8 mph and I actually ran 2.0 miles. Well, I did a run/walk, but that is my normal run. I ran/walked for 4/1 minutes. Each run was a ladder from 4.5-4.9 mph. Then I walked 30 sec and ran the last 1:43 at 5.0 mph. Total run was 26:13 minutes for a 13:06 min/mile pace. Of course, it helped a little that once when I was trying to get the treadmill to 3.8 mph, it went to 8 mph instead and I couldn't get it back. Finally was able to just stop it off after about 15 second. That's a quick sprint for me. LOL

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - I am so saddened and angry about what is happening in Ukraine! My thoughts and prayers are with all the people of Ukraine and your friends and their families! Are you concerned at all that he might try to come into Poland?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @Aine8046 - Your can join the Run the World Challenge at this link
    Once you have joined you can connect to Strava where it says 'APPS' at the top of the page.

We also have a MFP Monthly Running Challenge group on Strava if you want to join. I tried to send you an invite but it didn't find you even using your Strava name...

@quilteryoyo - there was a slight difference in the cement - not sure if it was enough too cause me to trip or not. The area is also where there is a dip in the sidewalk for handicap access.