March 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I made a long post yesterday and my internet was messing up and today it’s nowhere to be found! Oh well!

@marisap2010 Congrats on your quarter marathon! @katharmonic I confess I was nervous about your half since you hadn’t been doing as much training as you hoped, but it looks like you do enough cross training that it didn’t hurt you! Great job!

I’ve run twice since my last post. One tempo 5k at the Greenway with meds - had very little sleep and a lot of stress, which tends to make svt more likely, so it was a good test of whether my tiny dose would hold up under adverse conditions, and everything was fine. Under a wind alert and at times it felt like someone was pushing backwards! Otherwise an uneventful run.

Yesterday ran 5k trails at WC Johnson. No meds. My goal was to run slowly enough to keep my heartrate under 138 for three miles, followed by a sprint for the last .1. I didn’t quite do it but I came very close, apart from the sprint my max was 140, and most of the time it was under 138. Didn’t have to drop to a walk although we were pretty darned slow. I would call it a success. Next goal is to increase the distance I can run and still stay in that easy zone. We got out very late, started at sundown and finished in almost total darkness - moonrise wasn’t until a couple hours after sunset. It was lovely, running surrounded by owls, deer, and frogs. No snakes, thank goodness!

I bought a new running singlet - was bored with the girly colors offered by my usual brand so I took a chance on a cheap import brand from Amazon. Oh, so close! Looks great, nice color, fabric feels good, but the armholes are cut so high it tries to saw your arms off while running. It’s so annoying because it would be an easy fix, and cost them nothing, but it renders the garment useless. Do any of you ladies have a favorite singlet brand? I like them long enough to cover my tum and loose around the hips, but semi fitted.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart You did great while visiting your daughter and keeping the running streak going. I love spring wildflowers. So pretty. I hope your daughter is okay after the tornado in Austin. I hope you and our other Texas friends are all okay after the storms blew through and the those who are getting the storms today and later this week stay safe too.

@martaindale Nice run. Hope you didn't have the severe weather.

@marisap2010 Nice Foundation run. I can never keep my HR in Zone 1. I'm usually out of that with my warm up walk.

You did great getting the run in @katharmonic ! That is the thing about an out and back. Once your out, you have to come back. :lol:

Nice running @rheddmobile . Glad your heart is behaving. I can't help you on the singlet though.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Gosh I hope KGirlhart's daughter is ok also. She will need to check in. I have lived in Austin a LONG time and seen tornado's come close (last one close was 97) but I have never seen a system like last night that lasted for hours and hours. There were evidently so many tornado's popping up that the NWS did not even issue a warning with the one which hit Round Rock. When I had Bandit I drove that area every evening altho I doubt I would have gone with the fcst so dire. I did not get too much severe weather at my house but only the constant thunder and lightning and some pea sized hail about 9 PM. I got an amazing rainbow picture after the first storm came thru and normally the front would be gone and there would be blue skies. But yesterday the system just kept coming and coming until well past 1 am. My one cat who is my tornado warning woke me at midnight to get into the safe place again.
    s19erffy90tu.jpg

Glad you are safe @SummerSkier. Hoping all our other mid-west and Texas friends are all ok.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Nice picture @SummerSkier . I'm glad you didn't have damage and have a warning cat.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    March total: 53.6/75 Miles

3/2: 2.1 miles
    3/4: 4.2 miles
    3/6: 3.1 miles
    3/7: 2 miles
    3/9: 5 miles
    3/11: 3.1 miles
    3/12: 4 miles, 2.2 miles
    3/14: 3.1 miles
    3/16: 3.1 miles
    3/17: 4.2 miles
    3/18: 3.1 miles
    3/19: 5.2 miles
    3/21: 4 miles
    3/22: 5.2 miles - PT!

Glad to see my TX peeps are all ok so far. That storm front was crazy! The worst of it hit in the wee hours of the morning here so it was still going strong when I woke up at 6 am. I slept through the majority of it because it wasn’t thundering much at all and the rain/wind makes for great white noise for me. We got a lot of lightening but no hail. Tornado watches but no warnings that I know of and nothing reported too close to us. Then, it just stopped. Sun came out, and it’s a lovely day! School was delayed a couple of hours to let the worst of it die off, so between the delayed school opening and the weather this morning, I didn’t go out to run until after 11, pretty late for me. Though the temp was pretty nice, once the sun comes out and the wet roads start steaming, it is like running through a sauna. Kept the pace pretty easy, but honestly it was a harder run than I have had in a while. The heat/humidity combo immediately makes me feel like I have made no progress over the winter. Guess it’s time to adjust to that.
    Edit to add that I actually did the PT exercises today. Glutes. It was hard. I also did the second half of another video last week but don’t remember the day. I definitely have some weakness on the right, related to what I believe was a meniscal tear a couple of years ago. I had a lot of pain walking stairs, doing lunges or squats, or really any movement where my right leg was taking the majority of my weight if my knee was bent (which happens frequently with climbing). As a result, I kind of babied it, probably too much. It even altered the way that I walked stairs. While I’ve been focusing on moving that knee more normally, and the pain is largely gone, now I get some patellar tendon burning pain that I think is related to weakness from that injury. Hopefully this will help.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic, the cherry blossoms in my yard bloomed a couple of weeks ago, but it is a different variety than the Yoshinos we have in most of the city. They have started to bloom and should all be in full bloom by mid-week. Pic is of some blooms downtown on Saturday.
    leq8lwh41afo.png

*I'm not sure why the photo is posting sideways...

So pretty! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    We are ok here, but it was pretty wild last night. Sirens going off, pitch black outside at 6pm, strong wind and heavy rain. The TV weatherman said there was rotation detected just 1 mile south of us. But never saw a tornado. My wife (and cat) went into the closet for a while :s
    I have two nieces in Round Rock (just north of Austin). Heard there was tornado damage, but haven't been able to reach them yet. Hoping they are both Ok.
    Glad to hear everyone else came through without much damage.

OMG!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    @shanaber I read that same article the other day. I am working my way through the 80/20 book, and I am going to start a 5K plan using 80/20 tomorrow to get in the groove of the training.
    @quilteryoyo, I think I am going to do the level 2 plan. Also, enjoy your new watch. Hopefully, it will learn your sleep pattern soon. I also have a hard time sleeping when I have a change in schedule.
    @polskagirl01, That is great that you are able to help some of the refugees. You’re awesome.
    @eleanorhawkins, You’re such a badass with all of those mountain races!
    Awesome job on your half, @katharmonic!
    I wish I could love treadmills, @Scott6255!

Yesterday I ran the Cherry Blossom Road Race Quarter Marathon as part of our city’s week long Cherry Blossom Festival. There were about 300 people running the 5K and 106 in the Quarter Marathon. I ended up finishing 49/106. My pace again remained pretty consistent as my last two races. The course had several looooong hills, but overall it was a nice course, partially through a residential neighborhood, and the remainder on some rural roads. All quarter marathon finishers received a medal.
    fyahlpoms09q.png

I’ll start on my 80/20 5K plan tomorrow. I’m excited to try something new to mix up my training.

Nice racing, congrats! :)
  • Aine8046
    edited March 2022
    Options
    March goal: 60 km

03/01: 5.3 km along the Danube shore :)
    03/03: 7.7. km around the old town
    03/06: 7.6 km - hello NY! :)
    03/08: 6.7 km - rainy Texas, so running on a treadmill :(
    03/21: 5.5 km - hello Dresden!
    03/23: 5. 3 km - along Elbe, in a nice and quiet Dresden suburb

Total: 38.1 km

mdd3c91if3n5.jpeg

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, we’ll hear from @kgirlhart today to make sure her family is alright after the storms. Glad the rest of you are ok. The line is supposed to come through here in a couple of hours, and while we have moderate chances for strong winds and tornadoes per this morning’s news, I don’t think it is anywhere near as bad as yesterday.

I went to my Pump class last night. I hope to run this evening if the storms have passed through.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    7 miles this evening. It was an unusually good easy run. It finally felt almost easy. I just need to slow down a little bit more and I think it could actually truly feel like an easy run.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    March Goal: 100 Miles

3/1: 5.15 miles
    3/2: 5.16 miles
    3/3: 5.16 miles
    3/4: 2.02 miles
    3/5: 1.61 miles
    3/6: 8.10 miles
    3/7: 2.02 miles
    3/8: 5.60 miles
    3/9: 5.15 miles
    3/10: 5.15 miles
    3/11: 1.51 miles
    3/12: 2.03 miles
    3/13: 10.10 miles
    3/14: 2.02 miles
    3/15: 5.05 miles
    3/16: 6.02 miles
    3/17: 5.30 miles
    3/18: 5.03 miles
    3/19: 1.51 miles
    3/20: 1.01 miles
    3/21: 1.26 miles
    3/22: 5.41 miles
    3/23: 5.21 miles
    3/24: 5.05 miles

101.63/100 miles completed for March

Today's run was 5 uneventful miles. It was pretty chilly, but it will be warming up soon. I hit my goal for March today. I guess didn't really think about the extra miles I would get doing the streak.

exercise.png