Active April Challenge 2022

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
It's Active April folks.
The word "active" is a loaded word.
Not only can it apply to exercise, but it can also mean "characterized by action rather than by contemplation or speculation."

Time to get fit or act on your goals whatever they may be.
Increase your NEAT, do one of the bazillion YouTube vids and workout streaming services, hit the gym, enjoy the weather and walk or hike (whenever it's actually nice in the Spring, easier said than done!) And for non-exercise goals, start actively pursuing them as best you can with what you have to work with. Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "better". Improvements, even if they're slight or baby steps, are still progress.

We can do this!
No need to make your "heart gargle in your throat." Unless that's what you're into. ;) Or to win all the life trophies.
Active April is about making your goal an improvement in your fitness or life. As Elizabeth Benton always says, "Whatever constitutes an improvement for YOU. Do that."

So whether you want to train for a 5k or 10k, sleep better, get more serious about logging, start HIITing your head off, or just start exercising, period, it's all good.
If your exercise is already on-point, but you'd like to increase your daily NEAT burn, that's a great target as well. (What is NEAT, consult this thread from which I have been inspired: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1)

Go ahead and post your goals.
Update us daily and receive encouragement, workout suggestions, and support from your compatriots in the challenge.
Go get it! Make change!

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,370 Member
    Options
    My Goals for April

Stay within 5% carbs
    Drink 120 ounces of water daily
    walk 5 days a week
    Do Piyo dvd's 5 days a week
    Meal prep once a week
    Get 12,000 steps daily
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    My goal for April is to exercise five days a week with at least one of those days being walking outside.

But also not to over-exercise as if I’m doing weight/strength exercises, for example using exercise DVDs, I find it easy to do too much and cause a Fibro flare up. So those sessions must be limited to half an hour. It’s hard because I love doing that type of exercise so much I always want to keep going!

I finally got my food routine sorted out and have been building up my strength so now is a good time to get a good workout habit going.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    In March I did good adding in some walking or hiking most days of the week so to expand on that I think I will up my goal to 5 days of a minimum 15 minutes of activity. I need to get more well rounded so I think at least one of those days should focus on strength training and another on yoga/barre/pilates...just something to work on my flexibility and core. I also need to keep up nutrition goals. So here is the rundown for April:

15+ minutes of activity 5 days a week
    1 of 5 days should be strength training
    1 of 5 days should be core/flexibility.
    Add veggies and some fruits to my day.
    Keep under 100 carbs.
    Be more active at home by doing one bigger cleaning or organizing project a week.

• NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Now that I am almost at my goal weight, it's time to start incorporating some type of exercise. I do at least 90 minutes of line dancing once a week now. But that's just one day a week with an additional day thrown in once a month. And practicing the steps when I think about it, which isn't that often. I'd like to start toning exercises and yoga. So this is a great reminder to start thinking about moving more! Thanks!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    April goals-
    CW 164.5
    GW 161

Daily NEAT-as much as I can remember to include
    Daily Plank- aiming for 90 sec a day
    220 min a week activity to include 1 of each (bike, barre, elliptical
    strength, outdoor walk)
    House stairs 10/day (for real this time)
    Remain mindful of water and carb levels (faithful logging is a must for me regardless)

Semi-related April goals-
    Get my bike tuned up for outdoor rides
    Try out 1 new hiking trail

Happy Spring everyone!

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    My Goals for April

I have decided to go back on IF as of this morning (4/1) my blood sugar is quite high
    Stay within 5% carbs
    Drink 120 ounces of water daily
    walk 5 days a week
    Do Piyo dvd's 5 days a week
    Meal prep once a week
    Get 12,000 steps daily

• offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Been a member of the group for a while but never comment. Decided to jump in. I joined to learn more about keto and I have changed my carb intake a lot. I am a type 2 diabetic. Last year I did manage to drop 20 + lbs. So far this year I have only dropped 2 lbs. My sugar levels are more important to me than the weight. My A1C last tested was 7.2 in Feb. I do test my blood sugar daily. I also took a fasting insulin test. I plan on re testing in May.

For April Goals-
    10,000 steps a day
    drink water (1/2 my body weight in oz)
    Improve sleep - my major down fall. Establish a routine.
    Daily meditation.
    Less than 100 carbs daily.

Putting it out there - just wanting to be accountable. April is the month to get things going in a good direction. This year so far has been one big plateau.
  • baconslave
    Options
    offitgoes wrote: »
    Been a member of the group for a while but never comment. Decided to jump in. I joined to learn more about keto and I have changed my carb intake a lot. I am a type 2 diabetic. Last year I did manage to drop 20 + lbs. So far this year I have only dropped 2 lbs. My sugar levels are more important to me than the weight. My A1C last tested was 7.2 in Feb. I do test my blood sugar daily. I also took a fasting insulin test. I plan on re testing in May.

For April Goals-
    10,000 steps a day
    drink water (1/2 my body weight in oz)
    Improve sleep - my major down fall. Establish a routine.
    Daily meditation.
    Less than 100 carbs daily.

Putting it out there - just wanting to be accountable. April is the month to get things going in a good direction. This year so far has been one big plateau.

Welcome!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Jan 3 weight: 185.8
    Feb end weight: 178.6
    Mar end weight: 173.6
    CW: 173.2
    GW for March: 169.2
    UGW: 165

I'm always active but I do need to stay actively engaged in watching what I put into my mouth so I can finally get rid of the Covid Chonk before summer. Sooooo close!

I have been having a lot of fibro pain again in one side of my body from a headache into the neck, shoulder, hip, and sciatic nerve this week. And I'm doing those clear aligner braces and so can't use the only pain reliever that works to help it (ibuprofen. Apparently it makes the teeth resistant to move.) So I'm keeping up brisk walks and yard hikes and adding back in upper body strength when this crap lets up.
  • anglyn1
    Options
    4/1/22

1 of 5 days should be core/flexibility.=

None today. Home sick with RA flare.

Add veggies and some fruits to my day.=

Subway bowl with lots of veggies.

Keep under 100 carbs= Yes. 39.

Be more active at home by doing one bigger cleaning or organizing project a week.=

Nothing today.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    For the 1st day of April, I went line dancing again! It's a fun way to exercise and get my body moving. I do work up a sweat, and feel like I've been run over by a bus the next morning (now!) but I need exercise that is fun. The only downside to last night's dancing is that it was held at a smaller venue and was very crowded. I find I tend to get claustrophobic now when I am in places where there isn't a lot of space around me. I don't know if it's the whole Covid thing, but I ended up leaving early. I did get a lot of movement in though, before I left.

I was lamenting about my weight gain. I am down to 164.4 today, after being at 167.6 yesterday. So big gain, and slightly smaller loss. I flexed in the mirror yesterday after my shower and while you can't see my pea sized muscles, I could feel definition in my biceps! I have been doing elevated planks and push ups, as well as moving my arms and shoulders around willy nilly with dumbbells every other day or so. Nothing structured, as to me...that's not fun. And if it isn't fun, I ain't doing it! I do have Yoga Burn dvd's that I've yet to look at. I bought them at the beginning of the year. I have mats, blocks, bands, roller thingy and balls. I've got almost everything I need to do yoga, except the desire! Hoping I will get there sometime this month.

Well, time to start my day! Have a great Saturday y'all!

• baconslave
    Options
    Guess what my scale did? :rage: Up a lb. KCKO
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    CW 162.5
    GW 161

Daily NEAT- lots of extra movement in the kitchen making dinner
    Daily Plank- 45 sec
    strength, outdoor walk) - 60 min elliptical
    House stairs 10/day (for real this time) -2 geez
    Remain mindful of water and carb levels (faithful logging is a must for me regardless)-good day.

Semi-related April goals-
    Get my bike tuned up for outdoor rides- may have to watch YouTube and do it myself, shop has a 4 week wait
    Try out 1 new hiking trail- next weekend I think
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was good - carbs 87. Already 4 mile walk this morning. The last 4 days I have eaten good for me. The scale is stuck at 155.6 When I lose weight it seems to be in my fingers. Where is the justice in that. Well today my wedding ring just flipping all over the place, so tomorrow I am hoping to finally see the scale move down, but I still have 1/2 the day to get through here and in the afternoon I am not as strong with my food choices. I will be good today!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Today we went for a 5.29 mile walk ..130 minutes and burned 740 calories... We didn't go yesterday since I spent a lot of time in the kitchen meal prepping ... food is on point ...carbs are on point ..tomorrow will be rest day :)
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    4/2 resulted in higher carbs than normal. I cut myself slack as I worked out, walked the dog and laid about 60 bags of mulch with hubs. I have about 60 more to do tomorrow as well. So needless to say I wanted all the food. At least I refrained from ice cream this evening and came to bed feeling fairly comfortable. Now to get those calories back in line.
  • anglyn1
    Options
    4/2/22

1 of 5 days should be core/flexibility.=

Walked to a scenic overlook and up SO many steps.

Add veggies and some fruits to my day.=

Salad for lunch. Slaw with dinner.

Keep under 100 carbs= Yes. 44.

Be more active at home by doing one bigger cleaning or organizing project a week.=

Nothing today.

The scale had me up again this morning. Really discouraging as my family has had Japanese, pizza, and blizzards this weekend and I’ve said no to all that!
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    SW 164
    CW 163
    GW 161

Daily NEAT- Day 1 of loading up our new camper
    Daily Plank- ✖
    strength, outdoor walk) - 130 total, 70 spin bike yesterday
    House stairs 10/day (for real this time) -5 I think I need to keep manual count, not sure fitbit calculates same with numbers of stairs in my house.
    Remain mindful of water and carb levels (faithful logging is a must for me regardless)-water under, carbs on target.
  • baconslave
    Options
    I'd be remiss if I don't remind y'all that with increased activity comes temporary increase in water retention sometimes. Which is annoying. So annoying. But we have to remember that this temporary, we'll be getting better health, and soon the scale will go back down.
    Like I say over and over, KCKO.

Eyes on the prize. You've got this.