Shape Shifters Team Chat - AUGUST 2022

Options

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Good Morning SS's.....You have a new member joining your awesome team ....Please welcome @rachelw124 :)

v7mtuh4jh7dc.jpg
    WELCOME @Rachelw124 and I'm so glad you found our team! Take a few minutes and go back to page one of this chat thread and read our FAQ file which will answer many general questions on how things work. If you have questions and can't find an answer there, feel free to post and you'll have several who will attempt to assist you.

When you get a second, introduce yourself to the group and let us know a few of your goals for Sept and beyond. On behalf of myself (Captain) and our two Motivators @PatriceFitnessPal and @angmarie28 again, welcome!! Let us know what we can do to help you get on track and stay motivated.

If you're a walk/run fanatic, please join us each month for our Step Challenge and that will help to push you a few more steps and keep you active as you lose. Secondly, participate in our discussions, ask questions, offer suggestions, vent and rant when necessary about your struggles, share your triumphs to help motivate someone else and finally sign up for our weekly group challenges, which are always fun and varied each week to help you with different focus areas of your journey.

Take care and good luck in Sept.
    Jessica :smile:
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Walela617 wrote: »

I will start posting steps beginning today. I'm not exactly sure when the September challenge is starting up so I will read through the posts to try to figure that out.
    <3 Carole

Sept stats start Sun, Sep 4th.
    Jess
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    @Yukie_OP I wish I had energy, I am seriously exhausted, all the time, I crash so hard at the end of the day, I just have no other choice, lol
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yukie_OP step update (goal 6k daily):
    8/29 6,360
    8/30 7,310
    8/31 4,897
    * The temperature is really increasing out here in SoCal... I refused to walk in 100+degree weather during my lunch break yesterday, and my little one needed extra help/attention with her homework assignment in the evening, so I didn't prioritize my steps.

Congrats @jessicakrall8 on your intentional walking goal. A cause for celebration indeed. Way to go on that 30 miles! 🤩

@Walela617 - Best of luck on your new challenge/program

@Rachelw124- Welcome to the team! looking forward to getting to know a bit about you.

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 - There’s no shame in doing your best. I’ll bet your imagination is worse than the scale result will show. And, as @angmarie28 and @Walela617 point out, the scale can be an incomplete picture of health. Your body is definitely happier and healthier as a result of your walking. Building those long term habits will be so much more important than any short term gains. You’ll be able to solidify your habits even more once your kitchen is complete. Keep that positive momentum going! You’ve got this!! 💪
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @rachelw124 - Welcome to the Shape Shifter team!

The current members will be introducing ourselves when the moderators open the new Chat space for September. We start the week on Sunday.

I’m Patrice, a 57 year old woman living in Alexandria, Virginia — just a few miles south of Washington, DC. I signed up for MFP in December 2019 at my highest non-pregnancy weight of 168 pounds, but didn’t start logging my food and exercise regularly until March 2020.

The COVID-19 virus hit Alexandria in mid-March and life slowed down during the shutdown. Although I was still very busy at work, helping health and education leaders move their service delivery systems to Telehealth and virtual learning instead of in-person, my civic engagement and other volunteer activities decreased substantially.

So, I focused on my health as a way to increase my likelihood of surviving the coronavirus during the uncertain times before we had vaccines and clear treatment plans. I lost about 30 pounds by April 2021 (~138 pounds) but, as I got closer to my goal weight, it took a long time for the scale to move (e.g., about half a pound every couple of weeks). I joined the F2F challenge in June 2021 for extra support and reached my goal weight of 125 (mid-BMI normal range for my height, which is little over 5’3” tall).

I’m still working on maintaining my target weight between 120 and 130, and appreciate the support of the group while I figure out how to sustain my weight through the ups and downs of life. I’m trying to build a new business following employment changes caused by the pandemic, and dealing with other life transitions (e.g., empty nest and young adult sons who are not yet fully independent, traveling to care for aging relatives in Boston, etc.). Healthy eating, balanced nutrition, and regular exercise are lifelong habits I’m trying to incorporate more naturally into everyday life.

I try to give back to the group by serving as a team “motivator” so please let us know what kind of support works for you and how we can best motivate and encourage you. I’ll look forward to hearing about your goals and what brought you here.
  • nancyinmo
    nancyinmo Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    nancyinmo
    I need to skip Saturday’s (9/3) weigh in as I’ll be traveling this weekend. Thank you!
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yukie_OP Saturday weigh-in
    PW: 132.2
    CW: 131.4
    *weighing in a day early to get it out of the way.

Happy Friday everyone.
  • KHill875
    KHill875 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    KHill875
    Friday weigh in
    PW: 145.1
    CW: 145.6

I have gone back to old habits and emotionally eating. I feel like I do everything right and not lose any weight. But any over eating leads to weight gain.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    The team chat for September is open! Please continue the last August weigh-ins and news here, and go to the new thread for (re)introductions, goal setting, and all the new fun:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10872997/shape-shifters-team-chat-september-2022/p1?new=1
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Good morning Shape Shifters!

pedal__power
    PW: 199.4
    CW: 197.4

I'm so glad the scale is back on track. It took a climb on me the past week, it was back at over 201 for several days and on those days I seriously wanted to through the towel in, it was so frustrating to see despite daily food logging and staying on target for calories and exercise. I hope the lower number continues. I'd like to set myself goals for September, need to do something thinking about this.

Sorry I don't have time to write back to many of your posts, but I have been reading them all!

Happy Friday!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,200 Member
    Options
    Daily Step goal: 10,000
    Wed 8/31: 11,700
    Thu 9/1: 10,297
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,200 Member
    Options
    frankwbrown
    Friday Weigh-in
    August week 5
    PW: 224.7
    CW: 225.3 ( gained 0.6 lbs; 0.27%)
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    Thank you so much for your sweet reply, I really appreciate it! <3
    @jessicakrall8
    Thank you for the support as well! Some tests showed that the bacteria didn't spread, so that is good news. Awesome job on hitting your 30 miles a month. I know how you feel regarding avoiding the scale. I haven't checked in several months either. I think I am back at or even over my highest weight and I feel awful about it. I just keep thinking "what if I had lost these months instead of gained, imagine where I would be then instead!". It's so disappointing. But I also try to remind myself that I have done it once, so I can do it again. I am giving myself another month to get back on track, and then I will step on the scale at the start of October no matter what. Hiding from it isn't doing any good either. Also I am sure nobody will be ashamed of you. This journey is about a lot more than just seeing the number on the scale going down. You are a wonderful team captain and we are super lucky to have you; that goes for good and bad months.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,588 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Steps
    Aug 31: 21.501
    Sep 1: 22.630
    Hello Shape Shifters. The past few days haven't been bad. The weather is a bit warmer than I'd like, but I don't feel like I am dying and the mornings are actually really nice for walks. Too bad I was lazy on Wednesday and didn't go in the morning... I did manage to go around 18:00, but it was really sunny and I didn't enjoy myself. I walked the lap with a sand path while wearing my sandals so that was a real slog. I know wearing my hiking shoes is better there, but I just feel much more comfortable on my sandals so I rather deal with dirt and twigs and rocks under my feet for that stretch. Thursday was lazy; I just stepped a lot around the house while Tinus was being sleepy outside. I even fit a nap in. My sleep has been much better now that I go to bed early enough. It took some effort because 20:00 is really early, but it takes me a while to fall asleep and I tend to wake up around 6:00 so it is the right time for me.
    Happy Weekend everyone <3
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bearchested
    Friday
    PW: 195.6
    CW: 196.6
    LTD: 10.4

I'm working with a weightlifting coach, and have been consistent with logging all my food for the past week, without judging myself. I'm down to 22% body fat per my scale, so I have a bit of a recomposition going on. And I've been consistent with my lifting workouts this past week. So I've had a few non-scale victories.

Since I plan to be around this weight while I continue this recomp, can I please move to the maintenance group? Thanks!
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Cre804
    PW 195.0
    CW 193.5

I’m still dealing with Achilles tendinitis so I went to my doc on Tuesday. He gave me arch supports and a heel lift to help take the stress off my tendon. It does seem to help, but I'm not wild about wearing my sneakers in the house but I'm trying to break them in to get ready for our trip. The lift makes me tilt forward and affects my balance somewhat so I’ll have to be careful that I don’t fall. But I’m still resting and trying to stay off my feet as much as possible in hopes that it will improve before our trip.

On Wednesday I finally got my postponed massage and it was wonderful-probably the best I’ve ever had! I’m going to see if I can budget for their membership option after our trip. The masseuse said that I was extremely tight all over, not just the trouble spots I pointed out. I can definitely tell that I’ve been missing my yoga! It starts up again while I'm on vacation so I'm looking forward to getting back into it once I get home. So I'm sore today, both from the gym and from my
    massage, but it’s a good kind of sore!
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Bearchested
    Friday

I'm working with a weightlifting coach, and have been consistent with logging all my food for the past week, without judging myself. I'm down to 22% body fat per my scale, so I have a bit of a recomposition going on. And I've been consistent with my lifting workouts this past week. So I've had a few non-scale victories.

Since I plan to be around this weight while I continue this recomp, can I please move to the maintenance group? Thanks!

Hey there @bearchested if I'm correct, you're wanting to go to the Support team and take a little time off from the scale, correct? Maintenance is when you've reached your goal and you want to go to the Goal Zone team. Let me know, but I think that's what I read between the lines. We'll get you straight...
    Jessica
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Mulecanter
    Friday
    PW: 221.5
    CW: 220.5
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bearchested
    Friday

Hey there @bearchested if I'm correct, you're wanting to go to the Support team and take a little time off from the scale, correct? Maintenance is when you've reached your goal and you want to go to the Goal Zone team. Let me know, but I think that's what I read between the lines. We'll get you straight...
    Jessica

Yes, the support team please. I'd like to get to around 18% body fat, which would put me around 188lbs.
This discussion has been closed.