October Opportunity - holiday prep

Options
zenobia9777
zenobia9777 Posts: 277 Member
I'm looking forward to eating well and feeling better in October and during the holidays. Join me - let's help each other make good choices.

Replies

• dvmmcw8273
    dvmmcw8273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @zenobia9777 That is my plan for October as well B)
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    5'3" 49yrs

Oct 2 - 130.5lbs

@zenobia9777 i love the name of the month! and @CeeBeeSlim you are inspiring. Just hearing "12 weeks" gives me plans and ideas and the desire to see some real changes. I like your 3xweek strength sessions and thinking that fits my plans! Do you just do free weights at home? Or is this at a gym?

I've been running regularly 2xweek and doing bootcamp 2xweek, which is great and makes me feel fit and healthy but I've never 'doubled down' like you say, on the strength training. I really want to 💪 as Nike says "Just Do It" (does Nike actually say that anymore?? Am I dating myself by quoting a vintage advertising campaign? It was very motivating in the 90s! )

My kids just had an argument about what age I look. One said i look 35, one said I look like I'm in my 40s. Since both commented on how I am 'sporty, for a mom' and neither said 'ya you look like you're about to turn 50', I will take this as a victory.

I am seriously considering some amazing fitness goals to ring in my 50th....to be announced soon! Still at the dreaming stage.... I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has done anything exciting and inspiring for a birthday milestone!

Happy October all!
  • edamamewebber
    edamamewebber Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! Looks like this might be a good group for me.
    Here to get my size 14 self to a loose 12 or tight 10 by the New Year. For me, about every 8 pounds is a size change, so this is likely 10 pounds I'm aiming for.
    Goal 1: get on the scale tmrw.
    Goal 2: take a decent walk (more than a mile)
    Goal 3: 3 pints of water
    Looking forward to meeting you ladies. 🏵️
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    October start:

Early 60s, 5'-8" (ish)
    SW (02.10.22) - 150 lbs
    Last Month's W - 153. (09.11.22)
    CW - 150.0 (10.03.22)
    Oct GW - 144.0
    Final GW - 125 lbs

This month, since my back is feeling much better, I'm committed to getting an exercise routine back into place. I'm headed back to the gym today for a brisk walk on the treadmill and some leg machine exercises. The gym has a holiday challenge that starts on October 17th, so I'm going to sign up for that today. It should coincide nicely with this month's goal (and through to the end of the year) - thank you @zenobia9777.

Welcome to the group @dvmmcw8273 and @edamamewebber !
  • zenobia9777
    Options
    Wow, welcome new voices! @dvmmcw8273 and ,@edamamewebber.

Yes, we have some good support here.
    @CeeBeeSlim the 12 week challenge sounds good. I will join you on this, but I can't promise about that October 27th to November 4th trip. You are on the right track!

@k8richly I've never done that idea of a goal based on your 50th birthday, but I think it is a wonderful thought. I did not meet some of my best exercise friends until I was over 50!
    I worked my way up from a walking group into more intense exercises. You sound like you are already doing some amazing work!
    I really enjoyed hearing about your kids. It's always nice to feel like you're inspiring them.

@edamamewebber getting on the scales is number one for me. It's the hardest exercise I do!!! You have already gotten your mind in the right place and you will get there.

@SparkSpringtime69 grab those windows of opportunity! Glad you are better.

I am super enthusiastic after 45 minutes of circuit training!!!

• dvmmcw8273
    dvmmcw8273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Thank you for the welcome.
    I am currently non weight bearing for another few weeks after having foot surgery. It is starting to get to me mentally- no walks outside with the dogs, no workouts (other than crutching it), and it takes forever to do anything!!
    My main goals until I get mobile again are to meet my protein numbers, have an alcohol free October, and drink enough water.
    Three days in and so far, so good 😊
    Hope you all have a great week.
    Melanie
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Happy fall y'all!

My main goals for October:
    • Keep up with regular workouts 5x/week (can include moto rides)
    • BREATHE....keep the stress as controlled as I can, just breath and touch the things each day, I know the "win the day" process works, so trust it.
    • Touch the moving-stuff 6 days/week - if I do that, I'll be well prepared.
    • By the end of the month, have furniture decisions made/moving along
    • By the end of the month, have a plan of action with the money owed by the barn, and be starting to execute on it
    • Have a plan of action for November and be sure October sets up for success in November
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You have great goals that will set you up for success!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies to the group. Great support here!
    @zenobia9777 No worries about your trip! Let’s just promise to do the best we can and if we get off track, we get back on asap. 🤝

Of course, as soon as I say my head is back in the game, my niece brings in fig newtons and tiramisu ice cream. I was almost going to look at her scalp for horns! 👹. I enjoyed a fig newton but made it fit into my calories limit.

@K8richly. Thanks for the kind words. I do only free weights at home - following a 12 week program. Other days - if up to it, I’ll add some cardio (step aerobics, boxing), but always try to get in 10k steps daily.

Before and in prep for my 50th, I joined a women’s gym that combined strength training, nutrition, cardio and accountability (weekly weigh ins). Had a great trainer there - I think of her when I’m too focused on scale weight. She said I shouldn’t shoot any lower than 125 pounds - which is prob 3-4 lbs than what I weigh now. I reached 112 last year, so not sure why I’m chasing that number.

That gym was the decision for me. I also took a Bikram yoga class once or twice a week. I overshot my goal - I was 123.4 (number engraved in my head) which was the lowest I had been since college graduation. I felt so great. Great kids! That would’ve made my year! 😀

• SparkSpringtime69
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @zenobia9777 your circuit training sounds like it was fun. I just signed up for a Step & Sculpt class at the gym for tomorrow, Thursday and Saturday. If I like it, I may keep signing up (we can only sign up for one week at a time). I've never take a step class before so I'm hoping I don't trip over the step - I've tripped over blades of grass and even just air in the past :D
    @dvmmcw8273 I'm planning an alcohol free October too! I just finished an AF September so I thought I'd keep going.
    @HoneyBadger302 your goals for the month sound great, and achievable. I especially like the last one where the current month sets up for success in the next month!
    @Michieb125 nice to meet you, welcome to the group.
    @CeeBeeSlim good job staying to one fig newton - I'm not sure I could do so well, they're one of my favorites. What is Bikram yoga like?
    I signed up for the Holiday Weight Loss Challenge at my gym; it starts Oct. 17th and runs till mid-Dec.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69. I initially hated Bikram Yoga. Torturous. Then I started to get addicted to it - while I gained flexibility, it vastly improved my sleep - and I’m a horrible sleeper.

I wonder though if it’s necessary to go through all that discomfort (to me) to get benefits. Plus, it can be a little “militaristic” with the same instructions - to the word - with each teacher, regardless of what studio I attended. For many, this is why some hate it.

Im type A so it appealed to me - when I did other types of yoga my mind wandered too much.

Physically tho, it was a game changer.
  • edamamewebber
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim pre-menopause lack of sleep SUCKS!!! I found a mini 3 minute "go to sleep" yoga routine that's on tonight's agenda. Thanks for the reminder.

@SparkSpringtime69 our grace skills seem completely mirrored. 😂 I took a step class ages ago. I fell a lot. I ended up using the legs as markers and taking the step off. The teacher wasn't that impressed, but I was done falling.

@dvmmcw8273 lame'town with crutches. I found an online workout lady who does chair workouts. Even though I've not done a single one of her workouts, she really inspires me to do physical activities.

For me, I did my first weigh in since Aug. I'm pleasantly surprised at the gain (less than 2 lbs!). Made my yesterday goal of a mini-workout and 3 pints of actual water.

Off to fold laundry and do squats (combo mode activate). As well as more hydration to hit that 3 pint goal. I know that's not a lot, but it's better than zero. 😂
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    5'7", 44 years old
    Starting Weight 1/3/22: 155.8
    GW: ~128-132ish (currently recomp rather than losing)
    2/23/22: 150; 3/30/22: 147; 4/22: Missed; 5/31/22: 149.4; 6/29/22: 152.4; 7/27/22:150.6; 8/31/22: 151.4; 9/28/22: 149.4;
    Measurements Start 8/10/22: Waist 31 5/8; BellyButton 36 5/8; Butt 38 3/4; Hips 39

10/5/22: 150.4 - Up slightly from last week but still in range
    ~~~~~
    Good news - "confronted" the barn owners with a text yesterday (very nicely worded, tried to appeal to their feelings a little bit while also being honest and straight forward) - they responded positively and then last night PAID ME!! Woohoo, HUGE relief there - between that and the dirt bike I've about got the main part of the termination fees, and upcoming paychecks should be able to cover moving costs. It'll be tight, but that makes it all pretty possible and is a MASSIVE stress reduction for me right now!

Time to go focus on keeping ALL the important needles moving in the right direction :)
  • zenobia9777
    Options

Welcome@Michieb125 !

@dvmmcw8273 Melanie, good luck with the swift healing.

@HoneyBadger302 I love the breathe goal
    I've seen you write about the touch system. That is an excellent method. I have to tell myself I'm going to spend 5 minutes on some activity that has been neglected. Sometimes I say I'm going to reward myself if I do only that!!!!

@SparkSpringtime69 you are rocking it with those plans! I'm sure you will not trip. Wear good shoes. I laugh because I have medium sized dogs and it's a good thing I don't have small dogs. It's too easy to trip over them.

@CeeBeeSlim will you share your weight goal? What is your motivation for an online coach?

@edamamewebber stay positive!!!

I am a little sore in my shoulders thanks to one move in circuit training which I will avoid in the future. Basically it's a floor exercise and you lift a weight over your head. I chose a 15 lb one, which was a mistake!

Yesterday I did yoga after a very late night and a strong margarita. I am too old for that!
    I did get through it. In my defense it was a special event and I was really pretty good with my calories all day.

October goals
    - I like the alcohol-free option which I could do for the next 2 weeks. I have a habit on the weekends of a couple of glasses of wine which is hard to kick. I will think about this!

- continue with my 5-day exercise program

- focus on the wins. For example for weeks I had leg or knee burning in certain yoga poses. I was very discouraged about why it wouldn't go away and then when it did go away I did not notice it!!! And I need to enjoy the success I've already accomplished

-continue avoiding bread and grains until dinner time. This is tough on me but it really helps with the weight loss. So the goal is to be prepared with lunch foods. I now have a one avocado a week habit which I use to mix with tuna or.salmon.

Happy Wednesday !
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @zenobia9777 15lbs overhead from the floor? Wow. Glad to hear you’re just a little sore and not injured.

I’m trying to think of my weight loss goal in phases. Before my strength training I would have said 113 - full stop. I was that weight before entering college and then reached it last year 40 year later. That’s purely my scale-number chasing neurosis. Dumb - because I was maybe 17-18 then. Probably wasn’t even filled out.

But now - given I’m wearing the same clothes now that I was wearing last year but 15 pounds heavier (!) due to my strength training - I plan to go in phases - lose, evaluate, maybe lose more.

Now I’m 128 - shooting for 125. If I don’t like what I see, I will aim for 120 - then 115. Objectively at 128, I’m a bit pudgy around the middle and really think 5 pounds would do it.

This overthinking is why I thought a coach would be good. Help me in all phases of my fitness - nutrition, exercise, flexibility, sleep, accountability, daily movement. But I’m too old and broke for that. I know what to do - just gotta do it! 😂
  • zenobia9777
    Options
    I wish my husband would get a personal trainer because I think they are really beneficial. I totally see why that would be beneficial to you, too

I am sort of in the same boat with my weight. The circuit training has helped with the toning, but I'm definitely not too thin!

I think I'm more concerned about gaining it back than losing much more. I have to look back and see how much weight I was going to try to lose before my vacation.

Today I walked the dogs for 45 minutes and did yoga.

Now that I've gotten my sleeping under control by giving up coffee during the week so I can get my naps in, I feel much better.

• SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim Bikram sounds interesting. My gym has a number of different yoga classes, but not Bikram. I'm probably better off with something a little less militaristic for now anyway.
    I like the idea of phases - building muscle can keep the scale from moving in the direction we like and going through lose, evaluate, etc. seems like a good plan.
    @edamamewebber our steps don't have legs on them, but I managed to not fall. There are a couple of people in the class that don't even use the step at all. Tuesday I was about a step and a half behind the instructor (and everybody else), today it was more like just a step behind, so I think I might get the hang of it. Congrats on the minimal gain at weigh-in.
    @HoneyBadger302 Glad to hear you got your barn pay!!
    @zenobia9777 Seems very often we don't focus on our wins, especially if they're small or not something we were specifically looking for - we tend to brush them off as insignificant. Glad you were able to see the win with your knee.
    I had a good class today, but my right bicep hurts; actually they both hurt but the left one feels like it got a good workout and the right one feels like it got too much. I have some ice on it now.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @zenobia9777 Strange I didn’t think of it before but your comment made me go back in time to see how I was able to reach 112. Looked at mfp diary entries and my weight trend app and I was prob maxxing at 1000 calories daily and not eating back exercise calories. Not so great!

@SparkSpringtime69 So right about the scale. I started yesterday knowing I wasn’t going to eat that much but while doing a superset yesterday, I forgot to change weights. In short, I had planned to hold 15lb dumbbells in each hand for step-ups and wound up holding 18lbs in each hand. I wondered why it felt so different from last week. Lol!

I felt great that I was able to do it, sore this morning, and up in weight this morning. Water weight for sure! I’m learning more and more to not stress it!

Active recovery day today!
  • edamamewebber
    Options
    Hi all...
    So much good ju-ju in here. 💕 I SUPER needed it today.
    Because a wicked migraine decided to show up, so no workout, limited food, no tracking, no work.

I had had maybe 3 migraines my whole life until Jan 2022 (stupid COVID). Now they are frequent, inappropriate, and today's was sofa/bed inducing. 😣 I even wore my sunnies in the house while I laid on the sofa and bed. I drank as much water as I could... I dropped an email to my doctor, so I'll see what he says.

Anyways, I hope everyone has a great Friday. I'm planning on working, tracking food, and hydration... I'll see if I can find a mini-workout to do.